PDA

View Full Version : pant recommendation

Notorius
Sat Jul 2nd, 2005, 09:39 AM
so after turning 21 last weekend i finally have some spending cash and its time to buy some riding pants. i have no idea what to really look for though. im leaning towards textile pants vs. leathers, but dont have any reason why. just seems like they would be more comfortable. i dont plan on really racing my bike ever, and my skill certainly doesnt require a knee puck. i wouldnt mind hitting up SCR or PMI sometime though with a group, so im guessing i need to look for something with a zipper to connect to my jacket? but other than that is there anything i should look for? is textile material going to hold up reasonably well if i ever go down, or is the armor going to be the really important part? anything else i should know or consider?

GSXR-ATW
Sat Jul 2nd, 2005, 10:30 AM
Well, I went with leather pants. I've been down one time, and most of my jacket is leather but there are a few spots that have a little bit of textile on them. The leather on the jacket is fine but there is a spot that was textile that burned straight through to the leather underneath. And I was only going about 35-40. So I'm a big advocate of leather. Plus if you do want to do some track days the leather would be nice to have. Also definitely look for the zipper on the pants. You would have to check your jacket to see if you have the small 7" zipper in the back or the full wrap around one. If you have the full zipper you should definitely get the pants to match so you can utilize that. Anyways, thats my 0.02.

Sparker
Sat Jul 2nd, 2005, 10:59 AM
the textile i think is more of a one time use thing. luckily i never had to use mine. i did have to use my leather and it held up awsome. spend the money while you have it and get yourself some good leather.

if you plan to do some real track days most tracks wont let you on with only a 7-10inch zipper. you will need the full 360.

PmanCBR
Sat Jul 2nd, 2005, 11:31 AM
Textile is comfortable, however, it will not hold up as well in the event of a crash. Leather will hold up during a long slide where as textile will begin to tear. Also, tracks won't let you ride with textile gear, you must have a full leather suit which means full 360 zipper. I have a shop up here in Ft. Collins. If you'd be interested in purchasing some pants I can give you a CSC discount. Please get in touch with me if you're interested.

helmet2helmet@hotmail.com
or
970-402-6342 (my cell phone)

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Shawn Burk

Sparker
Sat Jul 2nd, 2005, 03:32 PM
save a cotton plant, kill a cow!

Notorius
Sat Jul 2nd, 2005, 06:57 PM
check ur email Pman

Mel
Sun Jul 3rd, 2005, 12:15 AM
Make sure you check what kind of jacket you already have and zipper length ang style....as is typical with competing manufacturers, most jackets will NOT zip to a different brand of pants. I personally have a matched set of suzuki racing jacket and pants for the street, but I would not (nor would I bet allowed) to run them on the track. What I have for the street only has a 10 or 12" zipper, but I went with the combination textile with leather for a little added protection (on both the pants and jacket). I started out with a full leather jacket, but it got to be miserable (with no vents or breathability) for day time street riding and commuting to work.

Wahooman
Sun Jul 3rd, 2005, 06:24 PM
You can also alter the pants to fit the jacket. I had my jacket long before my pants. Pants came with a zipper too, but it was mounted wrong. I had to alter the pants and flip the zipper around. No big deal and about $20.00 to get it done.

Jenny
Mon Jul 4th, 2005, 11:33 AM
If you want the comfort of textile but the protection of leather, check out Dainese's D-Stone jackets. This material does NOT burn through, and has actually lasted longer than leather in abrasion testing.

Notorius
Mon Jul 4th, 2005, 05:26 PM
thanks for the info Jenny. is there anyone in colorado, or even better, colorado springs, that stocks any Dainese/D-Stone products? i searched google and didnt come up with much information, and the prices were nearing 500 bucks for Dainese pants, which id like to try them on if im gonna spend that much...

ZX12r_Pat
Thu Jul 7th, 2005, 04:21 PM
I just got some Joe Rocket Blater leather from New Enough after watching a buddy crash and come out unscathed.

So far so goo.