PDA

View Full Version : DDM Tuning hids

ShortyC_303
Mon Mar 5th, 2012, 12:47 PM
so i was told ddm tuning was the way to go for bike hids...well, got em installed and they shut off while riding??? i can turn them back on by switching to hi beam and then back to low beam... dont know wats going on... they fire up just fine..seems like when the bike is at idle they stay on, but shut off randomly while riding...

vort3xr6
Mon Mar 5th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Check the ground wire and make sure you are grounded to a really good connection. Mine had a similar issue and it turned out to be the ground.

I got my kit from A & R motorsports. Really good kit that came with everything. A little more expensive that DDM, but the ballast was better and put out more light.

ShortyC_303
Mon Mar 5th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Which ground wire? From headlight harness or battery?

vort3xr6
Mon Mar 5th, 2012, 02:15 PM
From the ballast for the HID.

highpsi03
Mon Mar 5th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Its either the ground or you need to install a relay to keep the voltage up. Possibly wire in an inline capacitor on the + side.

fasterlaster
Mon Mar 5th, 2012, 05:23 PM
+1 on the ground. On the two bikes I have installed DDM HID on, they have both been sensitive to a solid ground.

ShortyC_303
Mon Mar 5th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Wires seem fine, on way home they were actin up during the stop n go riding, stoplights etc... Highway, no probs?

longrider
Mon Mar 5th, 2012, 07:42 PM
If you don't have the relay kit I would get it. My first HID on a different bike I had a relay and had no issues whatsoever. I got the VFR and installed a kit without a relay and had the same issues you are having. Switched to DDM with the relay and have had no problems since. What is happening is that bike harnesses use small wire which causes voltage drop. Regular bulbs just dim a little, HID refuse to fire or shut down.