PDA

View Full Version : RIP Greeley rider

Willhide
Mon Mar 5th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Does anyone know the rider went down today in front of UNC?

FZRguy
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 12:43 AM
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/30615957/detail.html

dirkterrell
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Damn. What a shame to be so young and have it all taken away (as it seems to be a this point) by a careless driver.

Left-turners are our number one killers. Those of us that have been riding the the street jungle for a while know we have to approach intersections in an alert and prepared state. if you're a newer rider, I hope you'll think about and develop this skill. Think about what you'd do at each moment as you approach if a left-turning driver entered your path. Can you brake in time? Can you accelerate out? Can you change lanes? If you find yourself with all "no" answers, you need to re-assess how you're riding if you want to stay alive. And you don't want to start asking those questions after someone pulls a stupid move on you. You have to be ready to react when it happens.

And this is a particularly bad time of year since people in cars aren't used to seeing very many of us out there. Don't let the exuberance of your first ride in a while cause you to overlook the things you need to do to improve your odds of staying alive. Stay focused. There are a lot of future rides waiting for you. Make sure you get to them.

WolFeYeZ
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 08:49 AM
I dont completely understand that accident scene. The body appear to be all the way back in the intersection but the bike is 100 feet down the road. Did he maybe fall off, hit the car while his bike glanced off the car?

Unfortunate accident :( Stay safe everyone.

SaShWhO
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 09:14 AM
so sad.
good words from the chief Viffer folks!! take them to heart

Just yesterday I had two near misses from the exact same scenario.
It's like we're invisible.
be careful out there!!!

mdub
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Hmmm..... I'm riding to work. After reading, thanks for the reminder to be alert.

dirkterrell
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 09:24 AM
I dont completely understand that accident scene. The body appear to be all the way back in the intersection but the bike is 100 feet down the road. Did he maybe fall off, hit the car while his bike glanced off the car?

My guess is that he got knocked off the bike and the bike continued rolling until it hit the curb. The gyroscopic effect of the wheels makes a rolling bike pretty stable, so they can roll by themselves farther than you might think.

SaShWhO
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 09:28 AM
as seen here for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNbOh0N3BSs

Vellos
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Video doesn't even say how the accident occurred but d-bags like to speculate on how the motorcyclist was probably 'showing off' on his 'crotch rocket'.

http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20120305/NEWS/703059991/1002

I would assume that the woman driving the Jeep turned in-front of of the motorcycles who were likely speeding and the unfortunate rider wasn't wearing a helmet. That's just my guess based on the provided information.

bornwildnfree
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 10:52 AM
RIP Rider

usmcab35
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 10:56 AM
rip, and good advice!

CaptGoodvibes
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Damn. What a shame to be so young and have it all taken away (as it seems to be a this point) by a careless driver.

Left-turners are our number one killers. Those of us that have been riding the the street jungle for a while know we have to approach intersections in an alert and prepared state. if you're a newer rider, I hope you'll think about and develop this skill. Think about what you'd do at each moment as you approach if a left-turning driver entered your path. Can you brake in time? Can you accelerate out? Can you change lanes? If you find yourself with all "no" answers, you need to re-assess how you're riding if you want to stay alive. And you don't want to start asking those questions after someone pulls a stupid move on you. You have to be ready to react when it happens.

And this is a particularly bad time of year since people in cars aren't used to seeing very many of us out there. Don't let the exuberance of your first ride in a while cause you to overlook the things you need to do to improve your odds of staying alive. Stay focused. There are a lot of future rides waiting for you. Make sure you get to them.

Echo echo echo

Such important info, I had to quote it

AOK303
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 04:03 PM
notice the first comment is about crotch rocket and need for speed, more people need to flag it so they take it down

Fumet5uNo
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 04:06 PM
http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/motorcycles.html

johne303
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 05:38 PM
:no:GSXR:no:

cbrjohnny
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 05:50 PM
RIP... so early in the season.

thankgod
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Goddamn....my deepest condolences to the family.

Jmuduke3140
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 06:42 PM

This exact thing happened to me this morning on my way to work!! Luckily had enough room to brake, but damn they still surprise you. As I came up I was watching him and thinking...."don't you do it, don't you do it....ah, YOU DID! Watch out for those left turning cars, ride safe.

CaptGoodvibes
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 07:27 PM
I often do a slight weave in my lane so potential left turners at least know I'm there.

WolFeYeZ
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 07:35 PM
I often do a slight weave in my lane so potential left turners at least know I'm there.

I do the exact same in addition to having my highlight on during the day. Kinda flash them a little with my headlights from the weave so they know I'm coming. :up:

thankgod
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 07:54 PM
I've been noticing people merging/switching lanes with no turn signal...maybe the jeep did not give him enough time to react????:dunno:

dirkterrell
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 08:11 PM

Yep, lateral movement is a good way to improve the odds that they will see you. Since we're smaller and not on their minds as much as cars, it's easier to miss us. Lateral movement does a better job of registering our presence.

Willhide
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 08:26 PM
So, i heard from eye witness the kid was up on a wheelie
when jeep turned, when the rider came down he squidded out
And hit the jeep. RIP rider.

thankgod
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 08:29 PM
So, i heard from eye witness the kid was up on a wheelie
when jeep turned, when the rider came down he squidded out
And hit the jeep. RIP rider.

Yipes....

r6rammy
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 08:30 PM
RIP

this is a grim reminder of the hazards we face, please ride safe

thankgod
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 08:32 PM
pls no more "grim" reminders.:no:

grim
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Sad to hear RIP rider, had a close call today I'm about 80% sure he was drunk too, gotta keep your head on a swivel out there.

stubbicatt
Wed Mar 7th, 2012, 05:59 AM
The news story said the bike struck the Jeep. So, another contributor indicates he was pulling a wheelie? That would explain the great distance between the body and the bike on the street, as there must have been significant speed involved to carry it that far.

RIP Rider.

Slo
Wed Mar 7th, 2012, 10:26 AM
I am about as paranoid as it gets out in the city, had a guy that did a u-turn from oncoming traffic into my lane. He saw me, slowed down, stopped and then at the last minute went for it right in front of me.

Luckily had enough time to slow and switch lanes.....barely. He acted like he did nothing wrong at the next red light. Of course, I let him know about his wrong doing :)

If he would have waited a split second more to do his u-turn, I probably would have hit him regardless.

Ted
Wed Mar 7th, 2012, 08:24 PM
:no:GSXR:no:

Got beef with Gixxer owners ?????

RIP ..

303R6
Thu Mar 8th, 2012, 12:04 AM
I also heard from a eye witness that the bike hit the jeep. The girl I was talking to said that the two bikes were racing and they were 4 blocks away from when the jeep started to turn...

I guess to make things worse for the parents, the school news paper reporter was trying to ask a bunch of questions and the dad punched her right in the face.

RIP

HOTCARCASS
Wed Mar 14th, 2012, 12:19 PM
RIP - I hope you and all the other Celebrated Riders will look down on your MC Brothers and Sisters with a guiding eye.