PDA

View Full Version : Discrimination against leather-clad bikers

aerofaze
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 12:51 PM
First I've heard of this:

Bill that would ban businesses from discriminating against leather-clad bikers (http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_20112751/state-rep-joe-miklosi-champions-bill-prevent-discrimination).

Sounds like the bill is geared towards those who wear colors for their clubs. But because I've never been asked to change or leave an establishment when I've worn full leathers, it seems like a waste of time.

Yet, I could be wrong (or haven't been hanging out with the right hooligans). Has anyone else ever encountered problems at a business when you've been geared up?

salsashark
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 12:57 PM
What a freakin waste of time... I think our legislators have bigger fish to fry.

Personally, I think a private business should have the right to refuse service to anyone they want, for any reason they want. It's a loss of business to them.

Zach929rr
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 12:59 PM
What a freakin waste of time... I think our legislators have bigger fish to fry.

Or, he is doing his job and listening to the complaints of his constituency?

/devilsadvocate

salsashark
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 01:03 PM
^^ no argument with that.

Ghosty
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 01:36 PM

Personally, I think a private business should have the right to refuse service to anyone they want, for any reason they want. It's a loss of business to them.
Agree 100% on both counts. Not bashing bikers, but any bar-owner should be able to refuse service if they feel like it. I see these doorsigns at any of our neighborhood bars up here in Thornton and make complete sense. NOT discriminatory.

jbnwc
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Ummm, does "no shoes, no shirt, no service" apply if you are only wearing a leather vest and ass-less chaps?

UglyDogRacing
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 02:00 PM
The Colorado Coalition of Clubs (http://www.colorado-coc.com/) is lobbying for this bill. No surprise.

BC14
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Nice boots :p
http://ruffrydersga.com/v-web/gallery/albums/tampa2007/Ruff_Ryders_GA_Tampa106.sized.jpg

#1Townie
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 02:41 PM

CaptGoodvibes
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 02:46 PM
IIRC, Sedalia Grill has a sign forbidding "colors"

Titus
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Leathers?
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e344/Motowheelscom/Dainese/2008%20collection/Dainesevalentino-1.jpg

or leathers?
https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRprO2bdkn7X1ZZAnJIuvR3DMk8sw5lt-DBmCfwxuWYNd4NVB3s

Jmetz
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 03:06 PM
IIRC, Sedalia Grill has a sign forbidding "colors"

The Piper Inn use to (if they dont still) have a sign for the same. It's funny because that place was practically the club house for the Sons for awhile.

THoward
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 03:07 PM

Agreed!! Notice that they focus on veterans in the bill? BTW, when a bill goes to House State, Veterans & Military Affairs committee, it is usually the "kill" committee. I doubt the bill will go anywhere...but you never know.

usmcab35
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 03:17 PM
its a waste of time, yea a lot of groups with colors arent any trouble, the ones its talking about use that as some kind starting point for acting like a asshat in a bar, at least from what i have seen in my years as a bartender. will this bill really fix anything no. i just see it as a waste of time and money. why is it so hard just to set your awesomely gay vest on your bike? lame.

Mother Goose
Wed Mar 7th, 2012, 01:20 PM
I like his picture.... "I love black people too!"

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2012/0306/20120306__JoeMiklosi%7Ep1_300.jpg

salsashark
Wed Mar 7th, 2012, 01:45 PM
:spit:

It's Mr. Drummond!

JonnyD
Wed Mar 7th, 2012, 02:35 PM
FHas anyone else ever encountered problems at a business when you've been geared up?

I've not seen this on any bar located west of the foothills. Though, don't walk into a bank fully geared...

#1Townie
Wed Mar 7th, 2012, 03:04 PM
yeah banks dont like you walking in with a lid on. lol

CaptGoodvibes
Wed Mar 7th, 2012, 03:09 PM
I stopped in Sedalia Grill a few years ago, riding my Harley, with a Harley jacket. When I saw the sign, I asked if my jacket was a problem and they said it was only 3-piece patches they cared about.

I'd be really surprised if sportbike leathers caused any grief around town.

THoward
Wed Mar 7th, 2012, 08:59 PM
This bill was PI'd (postponed indefinitely) in committee on a vote of 6-3

bornwildnfree
Wed Mar 7th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the update Terry. I also agree that businesses should have the right to refuse service to anyone except what is already covered under Federal law. My mom got refused service at The Fort because she, and her boyfriend, were in leather jackets and chaps. She was very upset and I told her that while she is a perfectly reasonable person, they had probably had problems with other bikers and it's much easier to lose business from one honest person than from a whole room-full due to fights etc that can come with different patches. We don't need laws to fix this problem, but I think we as a community should step up and let the patched clubs know that their behavior is no longer acceptable. I mean really, do you need to get in a territory fight at The Fort? Just another example of a few ruining it for the rest of us.

The GECCO
Thu Mar 8th, 2012, 06:56 PM
From the article, my emphasis added:

"There's vets who have given to the country, and there's actually some people that don't allow us to come into malls or restaurants just because they don't like what we're wearing," says Hoskinson, who also goes by the moniker Nite Train , crafted after the 2006 Harley Night Train he rides. "It's a First Amendment right to wear it."OK, here's the thing that SO MANY people apparently don't understand about the First Amendment - it only prohibits the GOVERNMENT from imposing penalties on speech/expression. For the most part, private citizens can impose all the penalties they want.

If I don't want you on my property because of something you said/wore, that's NOT a violation of the First Amendment. It means you expressed yourself, and I expressed myself! You don't have a RIGHT to go into a bar (or any other private business), the owner/manager/staff can tell you to leave for just about any reason, or no reason at all.