PDA

View Full Version : Somone else hit the car?

DemonRider
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Updated 11-21-12

rybo
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Ramon - if you are an AMA member with an auto renewing membership you can get a free tow through their roadside assistance program.

If not - maybe you have roadside assistance or something like it through Triple A or your insurance that will help out?

s

salsashark
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Don't know about any of the towing questions, but I would assume that the "lady's" insurance is responsible to make you whole again. They'll tow it to the repair shop and have it repaired, or total it out. Either way, tow charges should not be your responsibility.

As for the tires, my roommate in college had this happen to him. Brand new tires on a totaled truck. the insurance would not pay extra for new tires, so we rolled down to the salvage yard with a couple of jacks and swapped out the tires and rims on my truck with the ones on his (both similar year Dakotas). The truck had 4 wheels and tires on it. Old or new, insurance didn't care.

as for the mechanical stuff, don't hold your breath. It's your responsibility as a car owner to maintain your vehicle in a safe and operational manner. Mechanical stuff probably falls into that category.

#1Townie
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 02:31 PM
i think i can help you with this. first the police can not tell you who to use for a tow. if you do not know of a good company then they use what is called the rotation list. second you are paying for the tow. the tow company can not and should never tell YOU what to do with the car. this doesnt sound right and also the tow company will ALWAYS say let me take it to the yard so YOU dont have to pay. now they can also charge storag on your car. this is around 30 bucks a day. also the car can not and will not leave their yard till the bill is paid. i dont know who this company is but if they are on the rotation list they should have all the bonds and other requirments for towning. if you need to talk more i would be glad to give you a call. oh and before i forget insurance should take care of all this for you.

laspariahs
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 02:58 PM
When a 15 year old kid who's father was a lawyer, and in the car with him at the time, ran a red light and hit me, and the lawyer had kindly lined up witnesses against him, it was STILL a huge battle. Be prepared to at least threaten a lawyer. Oh and we both had the same insurance at the time, geico can kiss my ass.

Wrider
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 03:56 PM
You will possibly have to pay out of pocket to get the vehicle back out of storage, but insurance will be required to reimburse you. As for if it's totaled or not, a lot of times they do pay you extra if you have recently done anything like new tires or even maintenance items. I got extra for my truck because I had recently put on tires, put in a new clutch, and gotten a new battery.

AOK303
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Better be on your insurance that it was there fault, and through that you will know when you need a lawyer if you do need one, if you have an agent talk to them they may tell you up front yes or no, As for the car an insurance company doesn't pay for work done to a vehicle just what it is worth unless your policy covers after market parts which is a premium you can and for wheels and sound or even Engine Mods.

You can swap your rims and tires out, as long as you put something on to replace it. If your insurance covers tow, and you want to move it, Quickly get the tow yard to park it out on the street and have the tow company you insurance will cover move it to where you want it before they start to charge you a holding fee.

#1Townie
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Better be on your insurance that it was there fault, and through that you will know when you need a lawyer if you do need one, if you have an agent talk to them they may tell you up front yes or no, As for the car an insurance company doesn't pay for work done to a vehicle just what it is worth unless your policy covers after market parts which is a premium you can and for wheels and sound or even Engine Mods.

You can swap your rims and tires out, as long as you put something on to replace it. If your insurance covers tow, and you want to move it, Quickly get the tow yard to park it out on the street and have the tow company you insurance will cover move it to where you want it before they start to charge you a holding fee.

to late. the storag started the moment the car went into the yard. thats standard. also the tow company will also charge to move it.

#1Townie
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 04:07 PM
did they tell you why it was 200? thats alot. you need to get your car out of there.

DemonRider
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 05:14 PM
They didn't tell her why, they just told her that that's there fee. The Police Officer said they needed to get the car out of the intersection so they called from there "Rotation List" the tow guy never talked to Nikki till the car was already up and moved. I had thought they could just drop it free of charge somewhere out of the way so that we could make plans?. i guess we will wait to see what the Insurance people say and go from there. the tow company did say they would waive the "Storage Fee" for Today only. but im starting to think that I should just wait till they do there thing.

#1Townie
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 05:36 PM
They didn't tell her why, they just told her that that's there fee. The Police Officer said they needed to get the car out of the intersection so they called from there "Rotation List" the tow guy never talked to Nikki till the car was already up and moved. I had thought they could just drop it free of charge somewhere out of the way so that we could make plans?. i mean it was the other persons fault and i was just informed that the lady admitted to the Police Officer that she didn't see the Stop sign so she ran the intersection without stopping. i guess we will wait to see what the Insurance people say and go from there. the tow company did say they would waive the "Storage Fee" for Today only. but im starting to think that I should just wait till they do there thing.

ok yeah you have some problems there. a car cant be hooked like that with out permisson. if she had been hurt and couldnt make the choice on the tow the cops can impound it as need be to secure the car until you are out of the hospital. the fact that they told her she could only have it dropped between the scene and your home is total bullshit! im going to send my number call me when you get a chance. some of this is very wrong and i will give you the steps to file complants to the right people. i fucking hate shady tow trucks.

Wrider
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 06:46 PM
ok yeah you have some problems there. a car cant be hooked like that with out permisson. if she had been hurt and couldnt make the choice on the tow the cops can impound it as need be to secure the car until you are out of the hospital. the fact that they told her she could only have it dropped between the scene and your home is total bullshit! im going to send my number call me when you get a chance. some of this is very wrong and i will give you the steps to file complants to the right people. i fucking hate shady tow trucks.

Good on ya for helping out. I know a lot of people that will defend others in their profession no matter right or wrong, and it's good to see someone standing up for what's right! :applause:

#1Townie
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Good on ya for helping out. I know a lot of people that will defend others in their profession no matter right or wrong, and it's good to see someone standing up for what's right! :applause:

no really i REALLY AND I MEAN FUCKING REALLY hate shady towers and repossessors. there is a way to do things and i cant stand it when people rip others off. this is a case of being lazy.

DemonRider
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 07:21 PM
I'll give you a call tomorrow evening.

So get this, The tow driver also told Nikki that she couldn't get anything out of the inside of the car unless he put the car down which would be an automatic 50.00 charge up front just to set it down so she could get some work stuff out of the car (she was at lunch when this happened.) I don't know if this is standard but he also refused to give Nikki the keys to the car back!?!?!

But on a good note, it don't "Appear" that it will be "Totalled".. I'll post the pics later tonight.

#1Townie
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 07:31 PM
I'll give you a call tomorrow evening.

So get this, The tow driver also told Nikki that she couldn't get anything out of the inside of the car unless he put the car down which would be an automatic 50.00 charge up front just to set it down so she could get some work stuff out of the car (she was at lunch when this happened.) I don't know if this is standard but he also refused to give Nikki the keys to the car back!?!?!

But on a good note, it don't "Appear" that it will be "Totalled".. I'll post the pics later tonight.

yeah thats part of the new law that just took place. you can not gain access to the car once on hook. the repo guys wanted this for us as well. i told them they are morons. we would have to drop the car to let people get stuff out of it.

DolphinRider
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Yes the steering wheel is straight, the axle broke!

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g394/2010UribeFamily/IMG_0348.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g394/2010UribeFamily/IMG_0350.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g394/2010UribeFamily/IMG_0351.jpg

the force spun me and the car 180 degrees, my back, neck, and legs are sore but i think ill be OK..

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g394/2010UribeFamily/IMG_0347.jpg

DolphinRider
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Hopefully it wont be totaled and they will just fix it. I want my Baby back.... after looking at it it don't look so bad but we will have to wait and see. They are doing the inspection tomorrow afternoon.

#1Townie
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Na man your going to be good.

pauliep
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 09:25 PM
What a shady story. Which police department was this? Kudos on Townie to help file complaints.

DolphinRider
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Arapahoe County; but he was by far the coolest. He was about the only one on scene that showed any compassion about the whole situation. I was just really flustered because we just paid the registration, just got the new tires and wheels (the old one were Bald and the old wheels were rusting away :10 years old), my husband had just did all that work to it, I had just put in a full tank of gas (not cheap, now a days)and I was just plan upset. the Tow guy just seemed to be "Shady" as you all have touched on (Thank you all) and I am not educated on these kinda things. My Husband was at work and I didn't really know what to do. But I am un-hurt and hopefully it's not as bad as I thought at the time.

#1Townie
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Arapahoe County; but he was by far the coolest. He was about the only one on scene that showed any compassion about the whole situation. I was just really flustered because we just paid the registration, just got the new tires and wheels (the old one were Bald and the old wheels were rusting away :10 years old), my husband had just did all that work to it, I had just put in a full tank of gas (not cheap, now a days)and I was just plan upset. the Tow guy just seemed to be "Shady" as you all have touched on (Thank you all) and I am not educated on these kinda things. My Husband was at work and I didn't really know what to do. But I am un-hurt and hopefully it's not as bad as I thought at the time.

Yeah most people are not aware of towing regs. Its why so many people get screwed by shady people.

Wrider
Wed Mar 7th, 2012, 12:34 AM
Glad to hear you're ok. Hopefully everything gets worked out in a positive manner.

AOK303
Wed Mar 7th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Oi if your hurt at all see doctor ASAP to forward that info to your insurance

modette99
Wed Mar 7th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Yep, always use your own tow.

When the brother in-law went down on his motorcycle when I was with him and was taken to the hospital. The cop said he call a tow, I said okay but where is it going "to the impound lot"...nah I'll take care of the tow. He seemed ticked off and came back in a angry tone "you know that cost money", my reply; "well its my brother in-law what is the worst it will cost $300". Cop says, "I'll wait to make sure the tow operator will do it". Tow operator comes, mind you this is 67 just north of Woodland Park...nice older guy. I said I am friends with D&S Motorcycle that be the most straight forward place to take it to and drop it. I ask how much he says $120...peanuts...I say "you take credit", and he says YUP. At this point cop still seemed ticked I had it towed.

Once the brother in-law was better he paid me, and then submitted the receipt to AAA who then cut him a check.

Always use your own tow. Heck had to have the wife's Ford Edge towed off of Mt Herman Rd (Thank you Phil Long Ford). Although it was a lease and Ford paid for it I asked how much it was costing Ford...they said $200...I can tell the OP that was a lot longer tow, and rougher on their equipment.

I assume most of the OP's is storage fees? Again it is the reason why you just have it towed even if you pay for it out of pocket to tow it to your own place, worst case have it towed to a dealer (why tow home to tow again)? Any dealer I been to has a body shop, that can tell the insurance what is up.

You should of been given the opportunity to go into the vehicle before it was loaded or hooked up. I mean what if your wallet is in there, what if cellphone!!! Another reason to pay out of pocket or have a tow service they are more likely to be NICE to you the some random asshat the police called.

Either way, ask your insurance what to do. I would think they want it towed to a body shop to get a good handle on things. Ask for the fax number to fax the tow receipt to them so you are reimbursed ASAP on that part of it.

Slo
Wed Mar 7th, 2012, 10:21 AM
glad to hear you are ok, sucks about the situation, hopefully their insurance will make it right. And good to have #1 townie for situations like this also for advice.

DemonRider
Wed Mar 7th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Well things didn't turn out to good after going to the ER tonight. will Update soon, just not right now. :(

DemonRider
Thu Mar 8th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Well another SHIT;;; We need a Contingent Fee Lawyer !! Although everyone admits that the other lady ran the STOP sign . Now everyone is saying the construction crew in the area is at fault cause they supposedly blocked the stop sign. I am driving to the area now but Damn It!!

DemonRider
Thu Mar 8th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Oh, if anyone knows anything about the "legal" placement of road construction signs, please let me know ;) thanks

DolphinRider
Thu Mar 8th, 2012, 09:20 PM
We are going to call around for a Contingent Fee Lawyer in the morning, the jest of this is,,, Lady admitted "Running Stop Sign" to the Police and her own Insurance. Her own Insurance is also admitting there "Client" ran the stop sign.. BUT they say "the reason she ran the stop sign was because there was a "Arrow Board" construction sign was in front of the "Stop Sign"" so they admit fault but "Pawning" responsibility onto the construction zone sign people..... i am in Pain and have been to the ER but follow up is needed on Monday. gotta love this world !!!!!

1) Our main sewage line busted
2) Our basement Flooded
3) Our Bathroom is screwed and in the middle of a Very slow remodel due to the flood
4) Our Car is now Totaled
5) I am sore

Dang!!!! But you know what I love Life and glad to be apart of This club so if anyone can suggest A great or good Lawyer it would be appreciated ;)

Oh; and Thank You Soooooooo very much #1Townie , you are great and we really do appreciate everything you are doing and have done A+++++ when I feel better and all this is over I think we will owe a round to the CSC family ;):cheers::cheers: or at least some :coffee::coffee:

#1Townie
Thu Mar 8th, 2012, 09:30 PM
We are going to call around for a Contingent Fee Lawyer in the morning, the jest of this is,,, Lady admitted "Running Stop Sign" to the Police and her own Insurance. Her own Insurance is also admitting there "Client" ran the stop sign.. BUT "the reason she ran the stop sign was because there was a "Arrow Board" construction sign was in front of the "Stop Sign"" so they admit fault but "Pawning" responsibility onto the construction zone sign people..... i am in Pain and have been to the ER but follow up is needed on Monday. gotta love this world !!!!!

1) Our main sewage line busted
2) Our basement Flooded
3) Our Bathroom is screwed and in the middle of a Very slow remodel due to the flood
4) Our Car is now Totaled
5) I am sore

Dang!!!! But you know what I love Life and glad to be apart of This club so if anyone can suggest A great or good Lawyer it would be appreciated ;)

Oh; and Thank You Soooooooo very much #1Townie , you are great and we really do appreciate everything you are doing and have done A+++++ when I feel better and all this is over I think we will owe a round to the CSC family ;):cheers::cheers: or at least some :coffee::coffee:

Happy i could help. Sorry for lack of professionals in my field. We will get you guys taken care of.

DemonRider
Wed Nov 21st, 2012, 04:47 PM
I ended up just fixing it myself, we are still in a legal battle, but now that Nikki had our Baby we can start moving forward with the legal stuff!! Had to wait cause they couldn't do x-rays and MRI.... :) ill keep posting as we get things done

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g394/2010UribeFamily/CAR%20LEGAL%20STUFF/IMG_0048.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g394/2010UribeFamily/CAR%20LEGAL%20STUFF/IMG_0351-1.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g394/2010UribeFamily/null-16.jpg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g394/2010UribeFamily/null-7.jpg

Done, test drive Done, Insured (Full Coverage this time)

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g394/2010UribeFamily/null-10.jpg

Still need : Alignment, Inspection (wanna make sure I did it right), Register then we are good :)

mdub
Wed Nov 21st, 2012, 04:54 PM
you are all very resilient people . I applaud you. and have a grt gobble day.

#1Townie
Wed Nov 21st, 2012, 05:43 PM
Looks much better then the last time i seen it. Congratulations. Have a good thanksgiving.

DemonRider
Mon Jun 24th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Well after all this time we got a call from the ladies insurance company saying they were going to to change there position from 30% fault to 70% about two months ago. And as of yesterday her insurance company has come back as saying they have changed there position and now have decided to take 100% Liability :-) We have sent all the Paperwork and are now awaiting official settlements on amounts! (Property First) --- Medical Stuff might still take awhile !! But the amounts we want compared to theres is only off by 90.00 - so I think the Property stuff will finely be over and settled :-)

DemonRider
Mon Jun 24th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Looks much better then the last time i seen it. Congratulations. Have a good thanksgiving.

I think I may owe you something :-) as soon as it gets here, ill PM you :-)