PDA

View Full Version : Advice on which camera to buy a novice photographer

Aaron
Fri Mar 9th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Hey guys, my girlfriend is getting into photography as a hobby, and really enjoys it. She recently bought a really nice point and shoot Canon, but expressed interest in getting into a real camera if she could afford it someday.

Now I know very little about photography and cameras and shit, but I'd like to get her one for X-mas this year. My budget is around $1000, will that be able to get her into a good camera that will last her a few years before being outdated and outperformed by a point and shoot?

That being said, suggestions? I know I've just started the equivalent of an R6 vs CBR600RR vs ZX6RRRRRR vs GSX-R600 war here, but I'd like some input. Besides, we all know the S1000RR is the best bike made.

laspariahs
Fri Mar 9th, 2012, 02:46 PM
If I were spending around a 1k for a camera I'd buy a Nikon D7000. In fact if Costco still sold the D7000 I probably would have bought to fill the gap between selling my d700 and when I get my D800 since you can return things there for up to 90 days.

The D7000 is the best high iso APS-C sensor on the market, it's got a magnesium body, it does video if you care about that, good metering, good AF etc.

It'll last her many years.

It's 1,199 for the body.

Penadam
Fri Mar 9th, 2012, 02:48 PM
...girlfriend ... $1000...

Must be one hell of a GF.

Ezzzzy1
Fri Mar 9th, 2012, 02:55 PM
In fact if Costco still sold the D7000 I probably would have bought to fill the gap between selling my d700 and when I get my D800 since you can return things there for up to 90 days.

Good to see you are doing your part in destroying a great return policy....

laspariahs
Fri Mar 9th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Good to see you are doing your part in destroying a great return policy....

Well I've never used it before, and probably wouldn't have actually done it.

Suki
Fri Mar 9th, 2012, 04:20 PM
If your budget is 1k, I'd say don't spend it ALL on the body/camera. Get her an entry level DSLR and an extra lens. The bodies are constantly updated each year and that'll be about the time she wants to get a new one. Lenses/glass hold their value and are what she'll want to invest in for the long haul.

What type of photography does she lean more towards? Portraits, landscapes/city/urban? A 50mm 1.8 is about $100 and is great for portraits. You can get a T2i/T3i with a decent kit lens, or just buy the body and put the extra money towards a different lens. Mine came with an 18-135mm kit lens, which would give her a good range for both. The kit was about $800, but I'm sure they've dropped a bit since the T3i came out and soon the T4i.

asp_125
Fri Mar 9th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Kit lenses, ie bundled lenses that come as a package, are ok to start with. But plan on upgrading to a faster lens in a year. Everyone should have an f/2.8 lens or better in their kit. If she doesn't care about video, save some money on a body without that feature, and put it towards some good glass.

asp_125
Fri Mar 9th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Google: canon customer loyalty program! Turn in your old slr or point and shoot for discount on a new upgrade.