PDA

View Full Version : Help/Advice on new problem with Explorder

Zach929rr
Fri Mar 9th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Long story short: 98 exploder eddie bauer

Got oil change. Had tires rotated for free. Now, if im doing 55-75 and hit a bump going straight OR in some type of wide turn, I may start to get the beginnings of what I can only describe as death wobble. I thought it may have to do with a defunct shock absorber on the passenger front, but assumed it might also have to do with the tire rotations if the tires were wearing funky.

Advice on what to check?

grim
Fri Mar 9th, 2012, 03:53 PM

Got oil change. Had tires rotated for free. Now, if im doing 55-75 and hit a bump going straight OR in some type of wide turn, I may start to get the beginnings of what I can only describe as death wobble. I thought it may have to do with a defunct shock absorber on the passenger front, but assumed it might also have to do with the tire rotations if the tires were wearing funky.

Advice on what to check?

My jeep used to do that and I found my steering stabizer was shot, that's all I got hope it helps.

Ezzzzy1
Fri Mar 9th, 2012, 03:56 PM

Advice on what to check?

Wheel bearings. Jack up the front of the car and try to "wobble" each wheel. There shouldnt be any play what-so-ever. Do the same for the rear.

Bueller
Fri Mar 9th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Check to see if lugs are tight?

birchyboy
Fri Mar 9th, 2012, 03:59 PM
I can't imagine that a simple rotation would cause that unless the tires were vastly different in size. Is it possible that you hit a pothole hard enough to throw the alignment off, and is merely coincidental with the rotation?

Is the Explorer lifted at all?

Penadam
Fri Mar 9th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Check to see if lugs are tight?

+1

Especially if it wasn't doing it before the rotation. It's possible they also screwed something up while lifting it.

Ghettodsm
Fri Mar 9th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Check the lugs first. Could also be the wheel weights, maybe one of them got knocked off. Steering stabalizer is also a common failure. Hard to say without looking at it. Maybe go back to the shop that rotated the tires and see if the wheels/tires need to be balanced. Make sure the balancing machine is a "hunter". All the others give false readings.

mdub
Fri Mar 9th, 2012, 04:20 PM

it might be its' time to go......

rybo
Fri Mar 9th, 2012, 09:32 PM
had the same problem on an old range rover that I had - the culprit on it was that the balls at the end of the front solid axle were out of adjustment.

1) Lug nuts
2) Tie rod ends
3) Steering stabalizer

would be the things I would check first

then

Rack and pinion in the steering system

cbrjohnny
Fri Mar 9th, 2012, 10:03 PM
check balljoints also. if you feel like driving up to granby i can check it out for you! ;)

#1Townie
Fri Mar 9th, 2012, 10:40 PM
had the same problem on an old range rover that I had - the culprit on it was that the balls at the end of the front solid axle were out of adjustment.

1) Lug nuts
2) Tie rod ends
3) Steering stabalizer

would be the things I would check first

then

Rack and pinion in the steering system

Smart man. Then also ball joints. Im guessing lug nuts.

madvlad
Fri Mar 9th, 2012, 10:52 PM
It's a ford lol