PDA

View Full Version : Animals

GuitarX
Tue Mar 13th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Just saw this news item and thought it was a good reminder for those of us on bikes.

http://www.ourcoloradonews.com/highlandsranch/news/warm-weather-brings-wildlife-to-crowded-streets/article_0e0edba3-abc5-5a59-84e4-a09d2cbcaf1d.html

Ride aware.

BC14
Tue Mar 13th, 2012, 12:10 PM
For some reason, birds large and small love to dive bomb me. I've had to duck more than a few times. Haven't hit anything on the bike, but I did have a deer skip across the hood of my car a few years ago.. That was spooky.

bulldog
Tue Mar 13th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Sad, we lost a member a few years back when she tried to avoid a cow :( :puppy:

I've had my fair share of almost wrecking too from deers. Ironically in Deer Creek canyon; I smoked my tires and stopped inches from the deer who never moved a inch and just watched me.

aerofaze
Tue Mar 13th, 2012, 12:25 PM
I was mainly focused on staying away from the sand and making myself seen by the cagers today (at this time of year, drivers still aren't used to looking out for bikes), but thanks for the reminder- gotta remember the animals too!

Can't forget the close encounter I had with a raccoon two years ago...

Sad, we lost a member a few years back when she tried to avoid a cow :( :puppy:.

That was on or near Teller CR1 or CR11, right? Open range... :(

bornwildnfree
Tue Mar 13th, 2012, 01:05 PM
I swear birds aim for my silver helmet and taking one to the armor left a bruise for 3 weeks. I've had two hit my helmet and those aren't pleasant either. Neck hurt for a while. I'm thinking I need a not so shiny helmet.

grim
Tue Mar 13th, 2012, 01:23 PM
I swear birds aim for my silver helmet and taking one to the armor left a bruise for 3 weeks. I've had two hit my helmet and those aren't pleasant either. Neck hurt for a while. I'm thinking I need a not so shiny helmet.

Birds like to kamikaze dive at me then change there mind at the last millisecond possible.

Tylar
Tue Mar 13th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I kill a lot of mosquitos and flies every year...it's just horrible.

BC14
Tue Mar 13th, 2012, 05:19 PM
I kill a lot of mosquitos and flies every year...it's just horrible.
:lol: I've taken out just about a hive of bees before. Had em stuck in my wheels and everything.

Tylar
Tue Mar 13th, 2012, 05:21 PM
In all seriousness, I hit a bun-bun once and distributed it's innards along my headers back in the diz-ay. Smelled like dinner...I do like the taste of a well-seasoned bunny.

FZRguy
Wed Mar 14th, 2012, 03:57 AM
Yes, Teller 11, rolling blind hills and open range. Jessica, Purple Feet on here. I think 2003 or 04. RIP

Nooch
Wed Mar 14th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I rode several years ago during the last locust hatch in Indiana. Imagine riding in and out of a constant cloud of flying grasshoppers basically. That shit stings!!! And you have to stop every 10 miles or so to clean your visor.

stubbicatt
Thu Mar 15th, 2012, 03:40 AM

Yep. If you are going fast enough, or the bird is big enough, that impact feels like it might break your neck. Bird strike on the collarbone, through the leather, or on the arm, leaves quite a welt.

Been awhile since I've been thumped. Can't say as I miss it much.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Mar 15th, 2012, 07:31 AM
I've had some close calls, but luckily not many considering the many years I've ridden. Once was a kamakaze deer that almost took N_N and I out on 93 about 6 years ago, and then the summer before last I had a bird hit me on the right pect at about 90mph. THAT hurt. Luckily I had my leathers on, but it felt like some big mutha punched me in the chest.

HOTCARCASS
Thu Mar 15th, 2012, 08:44 AM
How about the ground squirrels up around walden. Holy shit if u try and go around them they jump under yur tire at the last second. If u don't try and avoid them half the time they move the other half the time they get ejected like a spent cartridge. They always end up w all four legs pointed up. I hate the feeling of bone crunch under the tires!