PDA

View Full Version : First Track Day Prep

absolom
Fri Mar 16th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I'm a new rider, got a new 2010 Ninja 650r last September and put over 4000 miles on it over the winter. I want to head to the track for some speed and to work on technique without having to worry about getting run over or getting speeding tickets. I have a few questions though...

Am I going to have to worry about grip using street tires? I still have the stock tires on the bike, Michelin Battlax BT016's.

I don't own a trailer or a pickup, what's the best way to get my bike down to the track? I'd like to go to HPR, but I'm up in Fort Collins.

I'm still looking at track gear, need to get race leathers. Is there anywhere along the front range that has suits in stock that you can try on?

I have a pair of Alpinestar SP-1 gloves that are in good shape and a pair of Icon Patrol boots I bought for cold weather. I'm hoping I can use these and save some money. I think the gloves will be ok, but the race style boots I have seen look like they have significantly more protection than the Patrol's and don't have exposed buckles.

Also, any general advice/tips would be appreciated, I don't really know what I am doing.

spideyrdr
Fri Mar 16th, 2012, 11:56 AM
1) Street tires ought to be just fine for your first track day as long as they are in good shape. My first day out there was on a set of Dunlop Roadsmarts, which is practically a sport touring tire, had no issues with the grip at the pace I was riding. If your current tires have 4000 miles on them, you MIGHT be getting near to where a new set is a good idea (I don't know how fast those Bridgies wear). You want plenty of tread left on them, and while you're at it, make sure your brake pads have lot left in them. If not, consider getting some new pads, bed them in on the street, and you won't have to worry at the track. Last note on the brakes, consider changing out your fluid if it's darkened up at all. Is this necessary? Probably not, but it's a great time to do it anyway if it's at all suspect.

2) If you can tow a trailer, renting a motorcycle trailer from U-Haul is a decent way to go. About $35-40 for 2 days and you're on your way.

3) Race leather: Performance in Denver has several suits in stock that you can try on, and just down for the road from them 303Cycle also carries some brands. I don't know of any shops up north where you are, sorry.

4) You don't want to scrimp on safety gear, but race boots can be expensive especially if you don't plan to track much. Maybe see if a buddy has a pair of boots you can borrow for your track day. People on this board are usually awesome about loaning stuff out. The ones you have MIGHT be good for a track day, I am not familiar with them, but if you're questioning them, then the protection might not be up to par. You want something that would protect your ankle for sure in the event of a low-side.

5) Tips: Hydrate like crazy the days before you go out there to ensure you don't get dehydrated. Go to the track with a buddy if at all possible so you have a helper loading and unloading, don't forget about the basics of track prep like replacing the coolant with water, taping up, etc. And finally, have fun! Sounds like you are interested in hitting the track for some good reasons.

tecknojoe
Fri Mar 16th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Spidey is right about hydrating. It's a very big deal to have a ton of water. I faced some serious problems at a track day last year when I went through 4 litres of water and was out.

your tires are fine, just do 1.5 laps before you trust them, which should allow them to get up to temperatue

Make a thread on this forum when you know what day you're going. Ask who else is going and you might even find someone up north that you can split a ride with. When you pit with other people it makes things much easier, and you can ask a lot of questions

if you meet up with a good rider, ask if they would mind doing 1 lap with you to show you the line

Slo
Fri Mar 16th, 2012, 12:27 PM
If you come down I-25 to I-70, I am on the way to the track, you are free to borrow things from me like a back protector, gloves if they fit although yours will work.

I think your boots will work for an open track day since they do cover the ankle and plus some but not 100% on it.

Definitely do not ride the bike there, if you just happen to crash, no bueno. If you don't, you will be so worn out on your first track day, you won't want to ride home.

May as well buy some blue painters tape as well. If you do come down to Denver, stop on by and we can talk about any questions you might have also....

mikesf4i
Fri Mar 16th, 2012, 04:30 PM
If your a beginning rider, may I suggest trying IMI first before jumping into the deep end of the pool at HPR. HPR is a great track and a lot of fun but blowing turn four after that long straight has much higher consequences than blowing any of the turns at IMI. The speeds are much lower at IMI because it is a smaller track. You will still be able to learn plenty about going fast in corners. When you lean over far enough to get your knee on the ground you will only be going around 30 or 40mph. IMI is also only about $35 for the day. If your an experienced rider (more than 5 years) then by all means, please go to HPR and support Glenn and the boys for their hard work.

Zach929rr
Fri Mar 16th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Also, any general advice/tips would be appreciated, I don't really know what I am doing.

Breaking rule #1, #2, and number #3 is generally looked down upon.

ATTIKATROL
Fri Mar 16th, 2012, 08:30 PM
I live in Estes Park. My bike is in Loveland right now getting some love from Motto-Garage. After it gets its all clear from them I was planning on doing a one-on-one training day with Scott Jensen. I will be a first time trackie myself. Who best to show me the ropes than an AMA and World superbike racer. If you want, we could split the cost. I have my 2008 ninja 650R, you have the 2010 model. We could get the twins out there and get some pointers as well. Just a thought.

absolom
Wed Mar 21st, 2012, 03:38 PM
If you want, we could split the cost. I have my 2008 ninja 650R, you have the 2010 model. We could get the twins out there and get some pointers as well. Just a thought.

Thanks for the offer but I don't think I'd get enough out of it to justify the cost at this point. Maybe after I get some track time in, before any bad habits are ingrained.

I'm all for getting the twins out there though, would be more fun if I wasn't the only one new to the track. Will be a couple weeks until I'm ready to go though, still getting the last of the gear I need.

absolom
Wed Mar 21st, 2012, 03:43 PM
Thanks for all the advice and offers to help. Once I get my gear all set, I'll probably head to IMI first just out of convenience, if nothing else. Hopefully I'll see you guys at the track sometime.

Matrix
Wed Mar 21st, 2012, 08:49 PM
If you get a chance, consider bumming a ride with someone to the track. Enough people around here go that you can always find room in someones trailer. Then your part of a 'pit' and can ask questions throughout the day. Having that support group around you does a lot to relieve the stress of it all.

On a side note as well, I find the motorcycle community in general to be fantastic. People are always willing to help. The track is no different in that respect, so take advantage of it.

Hope to see you out there. :up:

tecknojoe
Thu Mar 22nd, 2012, 06:59 AM
If you get a chance, consider bumming a ride with someone to the track. Enough people around here go that you can always find room in someones trailer. Then your part of a 'pit' and can ask questions throughout the day. Having that support group around you does a lot to relieve the stress of it all.

On a side note as well, I find the motorcycle community in general to be fantastic. People are always willing to help. The track is no different in that respect, so take advantage of it.

Hope to see you out there. :up:

+1000

Slo
Thu Mar 22nd, 2012, 09:17 AM
Should come catch a ride to one of the races or trackday, could leave your car/bike at my place since it's on the way.