PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with parking on the curb/sidewalk?

SlackerATC
Fri Mar 16th, 2012, 03:44 PM
When do you or do you not park up on the curb?

I had this situation happen a while back. I parked out of the way, but up next to the building of a King Soopers while I went in to get some stuff. As I was putting my gear on to leave, a lady passed with her cart and muttered 'Well that's rude.' I didn't think much of it, and really could only agree with her, it is kind of rude. On a different day, I parked my bike in a spot while eating at Chipotle. I witnessed about 7 or 8 cars line up and start pulling into the spot before noticing it was occupied. Too me that also seems rude, to take up a big spot with such a little bike. I'm also afraid somebody (i.e. middle age soccer mom doing 100 things at once) will NOT notice the bike over the hood of her race-striped mini van and plow into my bike.

So, what do you do when running errands?

grim
Fri Mar 16th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I know alot of places dont care but i was given a warning at COlorado Mills for parking on the side walk, as well at Tamarack shopping center (demolished now).

When i park in at King soopers i keep it away from where anyone will be walking. I think it just depends on where you are. Some places enforce that you cant and some dont.

JonnyD
Fri Mar 16th, 2012, 03:57 PM
If I have to use a full spot, I park my bike in such a way to not create a "shadow spot". Park it as far back in the spot as possible, leaving room for other bikes.

Otherwise I'll choose the sidewalk whenever I can, so as to not take up a full space. Sometimes I'll use those little triangles around handicapped spots (but not in any way block where there might be a door opening, etc). I guess it all depends on how much foot traffic there is in front of each place.

Darth Do'Urden
Fri Mar 16th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I've always found this issue to be rather sticky. Sure, one can always play it legally safe and just use a parking spot ("I pay vehicle registration just like every car owner"), but logic really should prevail. I wish there was either a statute stating that it's just plain illegal, or none at all and leave it up to individual establishments. All this is considering that riders are courteous and park away from entrances/exits and don't impede foot traffic.

I just wish we all could know what the rules are....

CaptGoodvibes
Fri Mar 16th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I got a ticket and a threat of impoundment for doing it in 1984. I haven't done it since.

mdub
Fri Mar 16th, 2012, 04:37 PM
WOW ....Left a Hell of an impression on you....

i got a tkt dwntwn back in 2005...

I park anywhere in my hood and surrounding areas. But if i'm out of my local, i'll play it safe and take a whole slot.

CaptGoodvibes
Fri Mar 16th, 2012, 05:00 PM
WOW ....Left a Hell of an impression on you....

i got a tkt dwntwn back in 2005...

I park anywhere in my hood and surrounding areas. But if i'm out of my local, i'll play it safe and take a whole slot.

I was 200' off the street on a walking mall. I don't really see a need though so I don't do it.

Nooch
Fri Mar 16th, 2012, 05:59 PM
I park on the walkways at storefronts and such, but never on a legit sidewalk. I've never been ticketed so I assume if its a "private walkway" its probably no big deal. One place I try to park if possible is on the other side of the yellow curb ends in front of alot of parking spaces. Usually it keeps me out of the thoroughfare entirely and I'm still not invading on walking space. Still never got a ticket doing that either.

asp_125
Fri Mar 16th, 2012, 06:21 PM
I thought the rule is to park as close to the action as possible at an establishment with an outdoor patio. ;)

In general try not to be in the way of any legit pedestrian access, emergency path, or places where handicapped access is. As always the owner of the establishment is free to set their own rules.

CaptGoodvibes
Fri Mar 16th, 2012, 06:24 PM
That reminds me. I put my Harley next to Jeff's Ducati on the sidewalk outside Lansdowne Arms one night.

asp_125
Fri Mar 16th, 2012, 06:29 PM
That reminds me. I put my Harley next to Jeff's Ducati on the sidewalk outside Lansdowne Arms one night.

:up: I was referring to that! :D V-twin brothers from another mother.

Titus
Fri Mar 16th, 2012, 11:00 PM
$120 ticket at the Westminster Prominate AMC 24 theater about two years ago , & I was completely out of anyone's way.

Now I vote with my dollars & never go there anymore.

CRDesigns
Sun Mar 18th, 2012, 08:32 AM
I parked where I thought was out of the way in Central City while participating in a historic activity. While I was getting to know one of the police officers, because I was "in the know", he informed me that it is in fact illegal to park a bike on side walks. I am sure it means a public side walk even though I was out of the way and in a small corner. He was a great guy and I did not get a ticket.

Sleev
Sun Mar 18th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Most cops don't care, but the mall rent-a-cops apparently do. I only do it in places where the parking is really bad.

bulldog
Mon Mar 19th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Parked in fron of 24 Hour Fitness for years and then one day manager comes out and tells me it is a "fire hazard" and got the speach of how a motorized vehicle cannot be parked so close in case it blows up or some sh*t.

Wrider
Mon Mar 19th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Parked in fron of 24 Hour Fitness for years and then one day manager comes out and tells me it is a "fire hazard" and got the speach of how a motorized vehicle cannot be parked so close in case it blows up or some sh*t.

Lol my buddy parks his bike in front of his gym so often that they actually get on him when he brings the truck with decent weather...

longrider
Mon Mar 19th, 2012, 08:44 AM
To summarize this thread in one sentence, public sidewalks are illegal and will generally get you a ticket but not always while private sidewalks are at the discretion of the property owner and most are OK with it as long as you dont block pedestrians. ;)

When I lived up north I usually shopped at the 84th & Pecos King Soopers and always parked on the sidewalk. One day I talked with a security guard and he actually preferred that bikes park on the sidewalk because then he had less accidents to handle in the parking lot.

Tipys
Tue Mar 20th, 2012, 01:56 PM

I would have responded back with yes because motor vehicles randomly blow up all the time.

On the note of the fire hazard your not in the fire lane just make sure to not park in front of the FDC's or standpipes.

usmcab35
Tue Mar 20th, 2012, 02:08 PM
i just park in a whole spot, if someone plows it over not paying attention then owell i will get a new one. that just seems easier than worring weather or not your bike is parked in a ok spot.

Mother Goose
Tue Mar 20th, 2012, 02:22 PM
It's legal for 50cc and smaller to park on a public sidewalk. Illegal for all others. I do it still, just depends on where I'm going, how long I will be there, etc.

If I'm going to King Soopers or Target, I won't be doing a lot of shopping, so I'll park it on the sidewalk, away from where people walk by, and usually right up against the wall. Those places, the parking usually sucks anyways, so why take up a whole space with my little bike? I do the same at Costco, you could drive around for 5 minutes and not find a spot there, so I've been parking on the sidewalk there too. But last time, a cart guy with a complex gave me shit about it (this was about the 20th time I've parked in that same spot), so I went and parked it in the handicap area (not a handicap spot, just in between the cars). I was in and out of Costco in 5 minutes.

So it just depends on where you go, and how comfortable you are parking in those areas.

Mother Goose
Tue Mar 20th, 2012, 02:23 PM
i just park in a whole spot, if someone plows it over not paying attention then owell i will get a new one. that just seems easier than worring weather or not your bike is parked in a ok spot.
Thing about that is, most people won't let you know that they hit your bike, and would just take off, leaving you with the bill. :sniper:

salsashark
Tue Mar 20th, 2012, 02:34 PM

Thing about that is, most people won't let you know that they hit your bike, and would just take off, leaving you with the bill. :sniper:

That's what happened to my dad.

Some guy backed into his bike, hooked it on the bumper and instead of stopping, attempted to run and drug it across the parking lot. Not the smartest thing to do at a municipal building that also house the police. Had he not been an idiot, he probably could have gotten away with hitting it and leaving, but he panicked and got caught.

Jmetz
Tue Mar 20th, 2012, 02:35 PM
I parked where I thought was out of the way in Central City while participating in a historic activity. While I was getting to know one of the police officers, because I was "in the know", he informed me that it is in fact illegal to park a bike on side walks. I am sure it means a public side walk even though I was out of the way and in a small corner. He was a great guy and I did not get a ticket.

You must have caught Melvin on a good day.

Wed Apr 11th, 2012, 08:14 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/28jb52x.jpg

Westminster PD parked in front of Qdoba off 36 & Church Ranch..

Hoot
Wed Apr 11th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I park mine on the sidewalk where I work. I have not had any customers complain about it, and since it's my store that's where she goes.

Penadam
Wed Apr 11th, 2012, 09:05 PM
It's nice to not fight for parking sports.
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/578650_10101365867886738_13704727_65326772_2060662 427_n.jpg

Samko
Wed Apr 11th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Why would you even stand there and listen to him ?

CBR-Cowboy
Thu Apr 12th, 2012, 10:20 AM
If I have to park in a parking spot, I usually park out where cars can see me before they get to the spot, but off to the side so another bike can get in behind me if they want to share (plus I will be leaving before them). I was also wondering what everyone else did here in Colorado, thanks for starting this post. Looks like KS is safe for sidewalk parking as long as we are out of the way of walkers.

green_vaccine
Mon May 21st, 2012, 07:04 PM
Parked on the sidewalk next to an outdoor patio railing down on Blake and 15th, completely out of the way of foot traffic, and got a $25 ticket.

I hate the freaking parking nazis in this city.

mdub
Mon May 21st, 2012, 07:05 PM
that you will get in dwntwn.