PDA

View Full Version : Curious about IMI

ATTIKATROL
Fri Mar 16th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Has anyone taken their sportbike there?
Is it Crowded?
What kind of prep is required?

Just saw this being mentioned in another thread and didn't want to jack it. I live in Estes Park, so it's closer than HPR so I'm pretty interested. The pricing looks crazy cheap. Is it bang for the buck? Or, do you get what you pay for?

sloridr
Fri Mar 16th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Well work it!!! Its a very short track you may never get above 2nd gear. Great for learning body position, lines, leaning, stamina, among other things. Get there early as te cart rentals tend to show up in the afternoon. Then we have to swap out with a cart session then a motorcycle session.

RCStylin'
Fri Mar 16th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Agreed. Worth what it costs. Not going to hit over 100 but there are lots of turns. Great experience and not a lot of rules.

mikesf4i
Fri Mar 16th, 2012, 10:27 PM
The track is short and tight. If your new to track time you can definitely learn about cornering. Top speed on the back straight on a 600 will only be about 80 or so. The track is ruled by motards as far as bikes go. I would try to go during the week when its empty. If you go during the day on the weekends you won't even get to ride because they cater to kart renters and racers. Its a fun track if you have it all to yourself as we have many times.

ATTIKATROL
Fri Mar 16th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Sweet! I'm off on sundays and mondays. Hopefully not much happening on those days. Thanks folks!

drago52
Fri Mar 16th, 2012, 11:47 PM
It's a great track to learn on. Get there when the gates open on the weekend to avoid the crowd. You get what you pay for, but I still love going there. HPR is a much better experience, but I can probably fit in (budget and time-wise) 4 sessions at IMI for each session at HPR.

sag
Fri Mar 16th, 2012, 11:50 PM
as far as prep, none? lol i think you need a helmet. lots of fun though and really laid back. one of the times i went a guys gf who literally just got her license and hadnt even ridden on the street was riding her brand new 250 on the track when we were taking breaks. i cant think of a better place to learn cornering even if you have never come close to taking a fast corner before.

mikesf4i
Sat Mar 17th, 2012, 03:30 AM
Don't go on Sundays!! Unless you only want to ride for an hour or so. Go on mondays when no one is there. Sundays will either be race days or the track will be full of kart renters. If they have enough kart renters they WILL NOT let bikes use the track. They will let you pay, but they won't let you ride! Sundays are not worth the hassle of sitting around being pissed off because you paid and they won't let you ride because they are too busy.

Bueller
Sat Mar 17th, 2012, 08:08 AM
I have spent a lot of time at IMI on supermotos and a ninja250 and it is a great track for them, I don't care for the big bikes out there if HPR is available. The waiting on rental carts gets real old.
I do half days @ HPR (summer) and get plenty of track time and with the lapper cards it gets the price down around $75, so double an IMI day but more than twice the value. Except for the full leathers requirements the prep isn't much more than changing antifreeze and tapping or removing mirrors.
For me in NE Aurora the travel time is about the same.

ATTIKATROL
Sat Mar 17th, 2012, 10:45 AM
I do half days @ HPR (summer) and get plenty of track time and with the lapper cards it gets the price down around $75

What are these lapper cards that you speak of? Is it like a discount card they offer?

Bueller
Sat Mar 17th, 2012, 12:53 PM
http://highplainsraceway.com/lapping-days-card.html

Penadam
Sat Mar 17th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Their website used to list what events they were having so you could avoid days where the track was rented out or had other stuff going on. Not seeing it on there now, but it might come back later in the season as they start getting their schedule planned.

longrider
Sat Mar 17th, 2012, 02:40 PM
The calendar works for me:

http://highplainsraceway.com/events.html

Penadam
Sat Mar 17th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Was referring to the imi one.