PDA

View Full Version : Dropping the forks / rear ride height 2002 CBR954

Matt
Sun Sep 14th, 2003, 02:00 PM
I just raised the fork legs in the triple clamps (AKA dropped the forks) 6mm on a 2002 954. The bike feels noticeably better now. Its more nimble, but still feels perfectly stable. Who else has dropped their forks? How much did you drop them? How do you feel the bike responded to the change? I'm considering dropping them another 4mm for a 10mm total drop.

Instead of dropping the forks even further, I'm also considering raising the rear ride height. Anyone here done that? How much did you raise it?

I also own a 2003 ZX6R (636) track bike. The 636 is known for being a little touchy, but the forks have been dropped 10mm and it really handles nice. A racer friend of mine rode the 636 and said it felt fantastic to him. In comparison to the 636, the 954 feels like it handles pretty sluggishly. I'm just trying to make it feel a little more nimble.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mjahelka/cbr954.html

Thanks,
Matt

Anonymous
Sun Sep 14th, 2003, 08:59 PM
I wouldn't drop the front anymore. You can raise the rear, but also be mindful of the fact that as you steepen the steering angle, your tendency to tankslap at rather bad moments will increase.

If you don't have a steering damper, I wouldn't get too drastic...