PDA

View Full Version : Lane splitting, Whats your take?

OneBigMidgett
Sun Mar 25th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Hey folks. As I have mentioned a few times, I drive a transit bus for a living. Well the other day I was driving my route downtown. Stopped at the light on 15th at Curtis, here comes a guy on a Busa splitting between my bus and the car sitting next to me. No with everything we as riders have to worry about, we don't need riders like this making us look like fools. Your thoughts?

BC14
Sun Mar 25th, 2012, 05:27 PM
He's a tard

tecknojoe
Sun Mar 25th, 2012, 05:34 PM
we don't need riders like this making us look like

Dickheads.

Agree

willb003
Sun Mar 25th, 2012, 05:39 PM
While I'm sure the guy on the 'Busa probably was a dickhead. If traffic is not moving and you share lanes keeping it at a controllable speed, whats the problem? You don't like losing "your spot" in traffic, I just feel like people are too selfish and can't let someone else get in front of them as it might add .002 seconds of travel time.

Also inb4 its against the law bullshit.

OneBigMidgett
Sun Mar 25th, 2012, 05:43 PM
I would have had no problem with it, if we were on the highway. But stopped at a light in Downtown. To me that is just STUPID!!!

willb003
Sun Mar 25th, 2012, 05:45 PM
To me that is just STUPID!!!

Why?

sag
Sun Mar 25th, 2012, 05:47 PM
i feel its worse on the highway because it can be so startling and dangerous. i wouldnt care too much if i were in your position as long as they didnt almost hit me or something. ill admit i will ride the shoulder (not split lanes) when there are huge traffic jams for the train in the middle of town or the bike lane to get to the front at a light to turn right if theres no right turn lane and the lead car is going straight.

longrider
Sun Mar 25th, 2012, 05:48 PM
My take on it is that if you are in an area where it is an accepted practice (California) then I have no problem with it. However here it is so uncommon it scares people when a bike goes by inches from their window so no way would I do it. As far as people being upset because you get ahead of them that happens in CA too so no way to get away from it :(

OneBigMidgett
Sun Mar 25th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Well for starters the light was RED. Second one of the vehicles was a bus, there was no way the rider could have seen if anyone was crossing the street.

TransNone13
Sun Mar 25th, 2012, 05:53 PM
I've always wondered why Americans are so vehemently against lane splitting when a good majority of the world does it. I just don't want a ticket, but each rider should be able to make those decisions for himself. Rather than telling me how I'm GOING to be "safe", it's up to me to find out, and depend on myself and not the government. The only way to get people used to it, is do it.

longrider
Sun Mar 25th, 2012, 05:54 PM
By any chance did you notice if he had CA plates? Filtering to the front is a very common practice out there, once you are at the front you use the better acceleration of a bike when hte light turns green

OneBigMidgett
Sun Mar 25th, 2012, 05:58 PM
It was actually a really nice looking bike. Black and Gold color scheme. Didn't notice the plate. There are a few things I guess I should have mentioned in my first post.

1. traffic on 15th was stopped at the light, the busa never even slowed down
2. he came up on my left side not my right, (not turning)
3. the light was still red when he went thru intersection
4. traffic headed east on curtis had green light

Ghost
Sun Mar 25th, 2012, 06:07 PM
I've always wondered why Americans are so vehemently against lane splitting when a good majority of the world does it. I just don't want a ticket, but each rider should be able to make those decisions for himself. Rather than telling me how I'm GOING to be "safe", it's up to me to find out, and depend on myself and not the government. The only way to get people used to it, is do it.

It took me about a week to get used to doing in in Japan, but there I was weirding people out by *not* doing it. Cars kept trying to edge over to the side of their lane to let me pass.

Everyone riding a bike/scooter is expected to pull up/through the lanes to get to the front of a red light--there's even a special blocked-off area for bikes/scooters between the pedestrian crosswalk and the line where cars should stop.

Honestly, I really wish we had red light lane-splitting here. It just makes sense to have the smaller, nimbler, faster vehicles up in the front where there more visible, where they're expected to be, and where they can leave before the trundling minivan which blocks everyone else's view of the bike following them...

biikChiQ
Sun Mar 25th, 2012, 06:11 PM
I don't care when others lane split as long as its at a safe speed.
It's illegal here and if someone split passed me, not a big deal.

willb003
Sun Mar 25th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Honestly, I really wish we had red light lane-splitting here. It just makes sense to have the smaller, nimbler, faster vehicles up in the front where there more visible, where they're expected to be, and where they can leave before the trundling minivan which blocks everyone else's view of the bike following them...

This.

TransNone13
Sun Mar 25th, 2012, 06:14 PM
It took me about a week to get used to doing in in Japan, but there I was weirding people out by *not* doing it. Cars kept trying to edge over to the side of their lane to let me pass.

Everyone riding a bike/scooter is expected to pull up/through the lanes to get to the front of a red light--there's even a special blocked-off area for bikes/scooters between the pedestrian crosswalk and the line where cars should stop.

I saw that zone you're talking about, now I know what it's for. Makes sense lol.

Bueller
Sun Mar 25th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Lane "sharing" is nuts here but I really see no problem with "filtering" to the front at stop lights especially so I don't have to inhale your buses filthy exhaust when you take off. I don't do it but I would if it were legal.

Ghost
Sun Mar 25th, 2012, 06:18 PM
I saw that zone you're talking about, now I know what it's for. Makes sense lol.

Heh, took me a few days to figure it out, like I said, it was all the cars moving over and other bikes doing it that finally clued me in. ;)

But, once you "get" why it's there, it really, really makes sense for everyone.

How many cars make blind left turns after a bigger vehicle because they don't see the bike behind it?

biikChiQ
Sun Mar 25th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Lane "sharing" is nuts here but I really see no problem with "filtering" to the front at stop lights especially so I don't have to inhale your buses filthy exhaust when you take off. I don't do it but I would if it were legal.

+1

Bueller
Sun Mar 25th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Oh and http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39679&highlight=lane+splitting

asp_125
Sun Mar 25th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Cali, NYC, many big cities "allow" filtering. I would do it if we got that kind of gridlock here, but we don't. As for splitting lanes, so many times during rush hour on I-25 it would've been great. If it were allowed like in CA, hellz yeah but I won't be the first .. for about a year, till the cagers get used to it.

longrider
Sun Mar 25th, 2012, 06:24 PM
It was actually a really nice looking bike. Black and Gold color scheme. Didn't notice the plate. There are a few things I guess I should have mentioned in my first post.

1. traffic on 15th was stopped at the light, the busa never even slowed down
2. he came up on my left side not my right, (not turning)
3. the light was still red when he went thru intersection
4. traffic headed east on curtis had green light

OK, you just confirmed he was an idiot! I have no problem with filtering, but you do wait for the light to change!!

Ghost
Sun Mar 25th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Oh and http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39679&highlight=lane+splitting

That's the past man, the past.

We need to recycle threads to keep them current--reposting is just like turning over the compost heap...

Ezzzzy1
Sun Mar 25th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Honestly if you have never lived in a place that does it there is really no way to understand it. You might think you do in your head but you dont.

I have lived in some pretty sketchy places as far a lane spitting/sharing goes and once you get the hang of it, its not so bad.

Id agree with longrider and say that its not something I think is a good idea if its not already legal.

~Barn~
Sun Mar 25th, 2012, 07:21 PM
My take on it is that if you are in an area where it is an accepted practice (California) then I have no problem with it. However here it is so uncommon it scares people when a bike goes by inches from their window so no way would I do it. As far as people being upset because you get ahead of them that happens in CA too so no way to get away from it :(

+1. It's a godsend when traversing the highways of L.A. Colorado.... not so much.

Ezzzzy1
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 07:22 AM
+1. It's a godsend when traversing the highways of L.A. Colorado.... not so much.

And a lot of people dont know thats why the law was established in CA. Could you imagine sitting on a highway out there for hours, stuck in traffic with 100 degree temps?

I have never lane split/shared in CO but there have been a few times over the years I have run into situations where the whole highway was stopped (because of accidents). Both times I sat in traffic for 15+ minutes and then decided to take the median, and both times I had cars watching in their rear view mirrors that pulled over to basically get in front of me... Mad that I was moving and they werent? I just dont think that many people out here understand how hot it is in situations like this and what it does to the bikes. Either way after I passed the people that tried to stop me and got to the accident both times I was waved through by the cops.

I do think that because Colorado has grown as much as it has that something needs to be drafted for summer.

mastap07
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 07:25 AM
not a big fan at all especially when im in my cage going with the flow of traffic and the jackass cuts me off. i have ran into a few riders on the board that drive erratic and i shake my head... its your choice to do so but i know i dont want to be in the predicament when it comes to cage VS bike... could be nice at stop lights but i could also see that being an issue

grim
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 07:52 AM
When i was in Cali I saw plenty of riders lane splitting and what not, Nobody seemed to have an issue with it (obviously its legal there) but people weren't getting mad.

It really is not a big deal if Colorado passes a law i will fully support it however i may take it easy for the first year as people will have to adapt to it. Either way people make it out to be more than it really is its not like the bikes pass by at full speed if its dead stop traffic most bikes in cali were passing at 30 MPH i think most of the people on here are assuming the lane splitting is happening at 50+.

sky_blue
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 09:00 AM
If you have ever split/shared lanes in CA you will know that not everyone in cars likes it. I've had both cars moving over to give me more space, and have had cars move over to block me. Most are completely oblivious until you pass their window.

Scary stuff, but great when my Newport Beach to Riverside commute was 90% stopped traffic, even on the toll roads (which are $5-8 each way). Literally miles and miles of gridlock. 55-405-261-241-91 or 55-91. A 45 minute drive that could easly take 2.5 hours.

~Barn~
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Funny, because during the times I've spent in the greater L.A. area, I never once had a car that tried to "close" the space. They either simply stayed-put, or widened the gap when they spotted us coming.

Maybe just beginner's luck. :dunno:

vort3xr6
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 10:15 AM
I was so mad because lane sharing was passed into law in Arizona but the governor vetoed the legislation. I have ridden in Cali plenty of times and it makes perfect sense. I felt much safer doing it than getting buried in traffic here in Denver.

Ghost
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 11:29 AM
All states should do it, but that doesn't mean any states will actually pass laws to benefit motorcyclists--especially if they see it as an "increased" risk.

So, just like tiered licenses and every other good idea, don't expect to see any of them ever put into practice...

spdu4ia
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 01:48 PM
about that time of the year for this again eh?

salsashark
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 01:56 PM
about that time of the year for this again eh?

:lol: yup... followed up by "what kind of bike" and "What do you pay for insurance"... oh wait.

BC14
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 02:25 PM
:lol: yup... followed up by "what kind of bike" and "What do you pay for insurance"... oh wait.
And "what oil" and "what tires". Followed by "I wanna learn how to wheelie"

~Barn~
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Followed by "Where do you buy your panties?" and "Is animal print still in?"

Darth Do'Urden
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 03:05 PM
My oh my...how I wish at least "filtering forward" was legal. SOOOOO many times it would come in handy...not to mention that it's truly exponentially SAFER for riders, as there's virtually no chance of being rear-ended in a stopped-traffic situation. Stopped at a light, there's not much in the way of acting "vindictively" a motorist can do to a motorcyclist who's working his way to the front of the herd at a screaming top speed of about 10mph.

Oklahoma implemented a law to protect riders that allows them to treat any and all red lights as 4-way stops, provided there's no other traffic or hazard to preclude doing so. What this does is protect riders from the rear when stopped at a light. My brother has found this to be greatly advantageous in protecting himself.

I think it's a tremendous copout to simply state that because people here aren't "used to it" that it's deemed automatically unsafe, and thereby not worth considering. The entire notion of the automobile was once WILDLY new and "unused to", yet here we are, nary a horse in sight.

Making something legally allowable does not mean that every individual must engage in the practice. If it's uncomfortable to you, then please DON'T do it. But that should not preclude the rest of us from being able to enjoy the safety, convenience, and mechanically sound benefits ourselves.

All that said, what the rider in the OP did (if indeed related here accurately) was uncalled for and blatantly unsafe, though not necessarily in the practice of filtering forward, but in the running of the red light.

gsxr6
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 03:06 PM
>
Followed by "Where do you buy your panties?" and "Is animal print still in?"

animal print is really in

http://vevo.ly/q3w2LW

biikChiQ
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 04:01 PM
hahah!! what a video...

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Should be legalized, and the public should be educated in our use of it, and to watch for us.

DemonRider
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Should be legalized, and the public should be educated in our use of it, and to watch for us.

I have to agree. I've done it in Cali seen it done in Cali and I think with specific rules it can work here in those given situations. Just my .02 , not that it matters much, carry on;)!

MetaLord 9
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Search function-> "lane splitting" -> /thread

mdub
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I don't split/share, but If a cpl cars are side by side and impeding my progress. I'm going between