PDA

View Full Version : Superbike surcharge?

bcwood
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I looked at my insurance bill, and I've had my bike and policy for 3 years, and so I called my agent and he says "oh a Superbike surcharge". They just multiply the premium by 3... anyone hear of that?

I have a Hayabusa, and only carry liability.

salsashark
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Did he at least give you the courtesy of a reach around? Cause you're getting screwed...

Do a search on this site, you'll find thread after thread regarding insurance rates and insurers.

I've owned two busa cousins (CBR1100XX and ZX-14) and neither bike did I ever have a "superbike surcharge".

bcwood
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 10:15 AM
My agent is "checking on it" currently, so I don't have the final word. Another thing special is I moved to California last year, but I did let them know and they said it was fine to still carry this policy. I don't think my address change had anything to do with the extra overcharge, since the statement was mailed to my old CO address.

salsashark
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Your agent should know that you are "checking on it" with other insurers as well.

bcwood
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Well put.

madvlad
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Sounds like you're getting bent over, that's bs. Never heard of that

bcwood
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 10:38 AM
by the way, its American Family

rfranks303
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 10:42 AM
303 469 1729 ask for zeke. I was paying 175 for a civic, gtp, and z71 with liberty mutual. Now with state farm its 95. I was paying 25 a month for liability on my zx7 and now I have full coverage for 18. I got the number off here but can't remember who it was that posted it.

laspariahs
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 10:42 AM
I pay 200 a year through state farm for my bike.

mastap07
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 11:02 AM
by the way, its American Family

they pulled that shit on me last year! they were charging me $28 a month full coverage on my 2009 R1 for 2 years and then one month it jumped to $162 a month! i called and cancelled everything i had with them. :doublefinger:

GIRLr6ider
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 11:22 AM
by x3?!! :wtf:

bulldog
It is a ploy for sportbike riders to not be insured by them. They WANT you to cancel. I think it was Allstate that did that to me a few years back. Now on State Farm and they treat sportbike riders fairly by their driving history and not what bike they ride...switch and take your cars, house, life insurance, with you. They need to learn their lesson!!!!

tecknojoe
[QUOTE=bcwood;655021]They just multiply the premium by 3QUOTE]

What the fuck? :lol:

tecknojoe
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 11:24 AM
It is a ploy for sportbike riders to not be insured by them. They WANT you to cancel. I think it was Allstate that did that to me a few years back. Now on State Farm and they treat sportbike riders fairly by their driving history and not what bike they ride...switch and take your cars, house, life insurance, with you. They need to learn their lesson!!!!

Yes a lot of companies will simply offer you insurance for say, $800 a month

Thats their way of saying they dont want to insure you.

dragos13
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Fuck American Family. They dropped my home owners insurance because I own pit bulls.

+1 for State Farm. I switched to them and my rates on everything went down.

Ghost
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Call Jake, Cjake on here.

Ghosty
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 11:50 AM
+1 for StateFarm. $20-$25/mo. for liter bikes for me, w/ $250 deduct. StateFarm goes by CC's, no separate black list for "superbikes". Your Busa would probably be around $30/mo. I'm guessing if you had my (clean) record, age, etc.

bcwood
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 12:55 PM
The rest of the story: Basically it was due to my record, so they invoked this special surcharge just for me :-) Question: Does your record follow you from state to state?

stubbicatt
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 02:22 PM
The rest of the story: Basically it was due to my record, so they invoked this special surcharge just for me :-) Question: Does your record follow you from state to state?

Depends. If you get an out of state ticket in a state which is a member of the interstate compact, then that ticket will report to colorado, for colorado to assess points on.

Ins. Co's poll the DMV of any state you had a license in.

Don't think if you are sitting on offenses in California, which would approach your point limit in Colorado, and then surrender your Cali license for a Colorado license, that CO can show cause your license for subseqent points, which in the aggreate with your out of state points,would take your Colorado license based on out of state convictions incurred on a prior Cali license.

grim
Mon Mar 26th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I have been with American Family for 12 years never had a problem, i think you guys have/had shitty agents.