PDA

View Full Version : Fort Collins PD

Think
Wed Mar 28th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Anyone seen this? I respect authority and know there are 2 sides to every story, but I have personally seen a few rather ridiculous and questionable acts by the Fort Collins PD when I attended CSU.

http://thedirty.com/2012/03/fort-collins-police-department-needs-to-be-looked-into/

The GECCO
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 08:12 AM
You can't hear what the officer says before he shouts "step back" and shoves the subject. To me, though, his tone tells me that he had already asked the subject to step back and the subject didn't comply.

Having someone too close to you when your hands and attention are occupied with writing is an officer safety issue. If the subject was given a lawful order to step back and didn't comply, he got what he deserved. There is a statute in Colorado called "failure to obey a lawful order".

I don't feel bad for the guy.

mxer
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Dealing with drunk college kids on a nightly basis could push anyone over the edge.

DemonRider
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 08:34 AM
You can't hear what the officer says before he shouts "step back" and shoves the subject. To me, though, his tone tells me that he had already asked the subject to step back and the subject didn't comply.

Having someone too close to you when your hands and attention are occupied with writing is an officer safety issue. If the subject was given a lawful order to step back and didn't comply, he got what he deserved. There is a statute in Colorado called "failure to obey a lawful order".

^I am taking this position^, it sure "Seems" as though he had already been told/asked to step back and if you don't,,,, Shame on you "Officer Safety"..... however, this opinion is only based on the short video, but who really knows.. At least they didn't get into a car and try to run them over:silly:

Zach929rr
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Dealing with drunk college kids on a nightly basis could push anyone over the edge.

Guess what? If you can't do that job without ASSAULTING people for no justified reason, then your shouldn't a) be a police officer or b) in Ft. Collins.

Unless additional details come out as to why, both officers deserve a non-paid reprimand IMO.

Also, I submitted this story to every major news outlet a day or two ago when they ran a piece on it.

grim
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Link isnt working for me at work can someone copy and paste.

Zach929rr
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 09:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS-r3YoREj0&feature=player_embedded

Ghosty
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Blocked by my work web proxy too, dang.

grim
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 09:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS-r3YoREj0&feature=player_embedded

Thank you sir

grim
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 09:46 AM

True but the officer has no right nor law to protect him from putting his hands on the person at any time if there is not a viable threat.

At any point in time the officer could have stepped back, also and i would appreciate Aron's backup on this the officer wasn't standing in a position to be ready to ward off any sort of attack. Most officers i have encountered do not stand with both of their feet together facing directly towards the person they are dealing with. They always have there hip containing there holster rotated away from reaching distance to the perp and there feet are positioned one in front of the other in the event they are pushed or someone tries to reach for there gun.

I know that they are trained to stand that way this officer Either A. felt comfortable or B. was a noob, doesn't know what the fuck he is doing, and let someone who was obviously questioning his motives get to him.

Ghosty
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 09:54 AM
My GUESS: As usual, drunk students are FUCKING MOUTHY and DO NOT KNOW when to shut the fuck up. If I was a cop at CU or CSU I'd pull my hair out, it would require 200% of normal human being's patience to NOT kick those idiots around.

Sorry, but I've been a bouncer at several college bars in Boulder, way back in the day, I have total sympathy for 90% of cops in that role, it's gotta suck. And students think they can get away with murder, seriously. In the few times I've seen a cop react like the one in the video, IMO, it was well warranted because apparently even if you're a legal adult (18+) you still are a complete moron and can't follow regular English directions and love to push your luck being mouthy to law enforcement.

I know there are many bad apples, especially with Denver PD beating up people caught on many videos, but sometimes I think drunken students (and drunken downtown/Lodo's idiots) DESERVE getting handcuffed. Just my OPINION, after many years of being firsthand witness to MANY of these exact same situations. Including CSU, helicopters, teargas, etc.

grim
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 10:05 AM
My GUESS: As usual, drunk students are FUCKING MOUTHY and DO NOT KNOW when to shut the fuck up. If I was a cop at CU or CSU I'd pull my hair out, it would require 200% of normal human being's patience to NOT kick those idiots around.

Sorry, but I've been a bouncer at several college bars in Boulder, way back in the day, I have total sympathy for 90% of cops in that role, it's gotta suck. And students think they can get away with murder, seriously. In the few times I've seen a cop react like the one in the video, IMO, it was well warranted because apparently even if you're a legal adult (18+) you still are a complete moron and can't follow regular English directions and love to push your luck being mouthy to law enforcement.

I know there are many bad apples, especially with Denver PD beating up people caught on many videos, but sometimes I think drunken students (and drunken downtown/Lodo's idiots) DESERVE getting handcuffed. Just my OPINION, after many years of being firsthand witness to MANY of these exact same situations. Including CSU, helicopters, teargas, etc.

They can handcuff them for safety reasons and security with no penalty or issue but they cannot push or shove them.

What if the drunken idiot had lost his footing and slammed his head on the ground?

I get where you are coming from but the fact of the matter is the officer did not handle this the way he should have.

Ghosty
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 10:08 AM
They can handcuff them for safety reasons and security with no penalty or issue but they cannot push or shove them.

What if the drunken idiot had lost his footing and slammed his head on the ground?

I get where you are coming from but the fact of the matter is the officer did not handle this the way he should have.
I agree, but I see why he lost his cool, IF he indeed has already been telling this guy to back the fuck up repeatedly. Legally yes, he should've done what you said.

Dealing with drunks, especially student-age, requires the patience of a saint, it's tough. Hopefully the officer just gets a talking-to, not made a big deal out of. The guy wasn't hurt anyway.

Hoot
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Common sense has been trumped by people's perception of what they are allowed to do.

If this person had not been a cop and the guy was getting in his face and got shoved, he deserves it. But because he is a cop and they "know" he can't react how a man instinctively wants to, this guy pushes his luck and it's "brutality." take responsibility for your actions... If someone was getting in his face like that he'd have done the same thing. That little shove was nothing, grow a pair ffs.

salsashark
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Common sense has been trumped by people's perception of what they are allowed to do.

If this person had not been a cop and the guy was getting in his face and got shoved, he deserves it. But because he is a cop and they "know" he can't react how a man instinctively wants to, this guy pushes his luck and it's "brutality." take responsibility for your actions... If someone was getting in his face like that he'd have done the same thing. That little shove was nothing, grow a pair ffs.

Hey now... don't go sullying the waters of armchair lawyering and chest beating with your logic and reason!

Ghosty
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 10:40 AM

+1, Awesome post, thx.

Guess what? If you can't do that job without ASSAULTING people for no justified reason, then your shouldn't be a police officer.
He just shoved the dude, it wasn't a damn RodneyKing beating, LMAO!

Think
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 12:05 PM

Right, but he's a cop and there are certain things he can't do while on the job. Just because a college kid might be testing his patience doesn't mean he can do something like that. If he can't handle some dipshit college kid, or even a dozen, he shouldn't be a cop.

grim
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Right, but he's a cop and there are certain things he can't do while on the job. Just because a college kid might be testing his patience doesn't mean he can do something like that. If he can't handle some dipshit college kid, or even a dozen, he shouldn't be a cop.

This, kind of the point i was trying to make.

vort3xr6
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I see it as the kid was drunk and testing the patience of the police. Cop says get back, kid doesn't take it seriously, so cop makes it serious.

The part that got out of hand is when the other cop turns to see the kid get shoved and goes immediately into arrest mode.

mxer
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Guess what? If you can't do that job without ASSAULTING people for no justified reason, then your shouldn't a) be a police officer or b) in Ft. Collins.

Unless additional details come out as to why, both officers deserve a non-paid reprimand IMO.

Also, I submitted this story to every major news outlet a day or two ago when they ran a piece on it.

They're human. I guess you've never lost your cool at work? It's pretty obvious that there was a reason. The punk college kid didn't listen.

This is weakest example of police brutality I've ever seen.

grim
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 01:16 PM
They're human. I guess you've never lost your cool at work? It's pretty obvious that there was a reason. The punk college kid didn't listen.

I wouldn't call this police brutality that is a little over dramatic.

Think
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 01:44 PM

That still doesn't justify his actions. Sure, people lose their cool, but being a cop isn't just like any other job. You might be able to get away with losing your cool at some desk job, but this guy should not be losing his cool because someone is in his face. He is a COP, this shit is bound to happen when you are a COP.

This definitely isn't an example of police brutality and I didn't post it as one. Like I said, I respect law enforcement and generally believe there are just a few bad apples out there. However, after being up in Fort Collins for 3 years, I noticed the Fort Collins PD doing some shady shit.

Ghosty
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 02:03 PM
No one would even care if the cop instead just pushed the guy away slowly, which is what he should've done. Instead he did lose his cool and made a snap-move that looks worse than it is.

I'm curious if anything actually comes of this, hope not. What he did was ridiculously miniscule in importance.

Hoot
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 02:16 PM
You're right, he should have just bottled it up some more and pent up all that energy for the next drunken dipshit to whip out the tazer and repeatedly squeeze the button while saying calmly "stop resisting or I will be forced to taze you again" because he was tired of having his patience tested.

Was it out of line? Yes.

Was it that bad? No.

Should he be reprimanded? Sure, I would think a verbal warning/counseling and additional training (on our dime, just like the drunken students education that he is obviously putting to great use).

grim
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 02:26 PM
whip out the tazer and repeatedly squeeze the button while saying calmly "stop resisting or I will be forced to taze you again" because he was tired of having his patience tested.

This is what i do to my kid who just turned 2.

Hoot
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Bahahah!!! Sounds fitting. I guess that's one way to potty train.

BZZZZZZZZZZZ

Good job son! You went to the bathroom all by yourself!

Zach929rr
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 03:56 PM

No, I've never physically assaulted someone during the course of my job. Cant believe you people dont hold public servants to a higher standard. This is the kind of attitude that is slowly eroding our rights.

Hoot
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Our rights to act like asses with no repercussion?

Ghosty
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 04:02 PM
:drink:
Hahaa, love it!

Hoot
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 04:13 PM
And back in the day being shoved wasn't called assault, it was a disagreement.

Ghosty
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 04:17 PM
And back in the day being shoved wasn't called assault, it was a disagreement.
Oh you didn't get the memo? Young people are made of tissue paper nowadays. I blame it on Emo music, skinny jeans, white belts, etc.

mdub
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Hey man!!! That is my attire . Fuck You!!!! JK... Haha

Zach929rr
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 04:21 PM

So the next time that a police officer wants to illegally enter your house and assaults you because you say no, its no big because you were acting like an Asshole? Or the next time you get pulled over for speeding on the bike, they just beat you down because "all sport bike riders are Assholes with no regard for the law", no big?

You clearly either work in law enforcement and support this overbearing police attitude or are just complacent with the upcoming Orwellian future, both of which make you an enemy of my freedom.

Hoot
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 04:26 PM
No, I've never physically assaulted someone during the course of my job. Cant believe you people dont hold public servants to a higher standard. This is the kind of attitude that is slowly eroding our rights.

I understand what you are saying. But most of us don't have jobs that we must worry about losing our life simply for doing our job. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm guessing most of us (from meeting some members on a few rides) have nice semi-cushy jobs and make twice as much as a police officer would and never be put into a situation like that, let alone doing it day in and day out. So yeah I don't try to hold them to be perfect in every way (including who they are friends with on Facebook) because none of us wants to pay more in taxes to better compensate those officers.

Hoot
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 04:29 PM
So the next time that a police officer wants to illegally enter your house and assaults you because you say no, its no big because you were acting like an Asshole? Or the next time you get pulled over for speeding on the bike, they just beat you down because "all sport bike riders are Assholes with no regard for the law", no big?

You clearly either work in law enforcement and support this overbearing police attitude or are just complacent with the upcoming Orwellian future, both of which make you an enemy of my freedom.

I was simply talking about what happened in that video. In that video, the guy got what he deserved. Are there bad LEO's out there? Yeah. Are they all bad? No. Do they make mistakes? Yes. He made a mistake, shouldn't have done it, it's not a big deal. Then comes the argument of if he gets away with it this time it will progress etc. But that is a land of what if's, and that land belongs to Grim!

mdub
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Cop in Chaffee County did not give me a brk cause i did not have my seatbelt on. Ouch 75bucks.

Hoot
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Cop in Chaffee County did not give me a brk cause i did not have my seatbelt on. Ouch 75bucks.

Wait... It wasn't the cops fault????

/sarcasm

mdub
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Right. I ask for a brk . Nada...

vort3xr6
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 04:36 PM

This is a Straw Man argument. We don't know what the situation was with the guy that was being cited. We can "assume" he was acting completely innocent, or we can give either side a benefit of the doubt. In this case, with the "victim" being intoxicated, I have to err on the side of the PoPo.

Filo
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I don't see any problem with what the officer did. We didn't hear the setup to it but we can assume "step back" was requested before it was shouted. The kid was pushed a little. No clubbing, no taser, no foot on the neck. A shove and some cuffs to keep the situation under control. I wouldn't call it excessive force or police brutality. I would call it drunk and stupid.

Cornfed
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 08:11 PM

If this person had not been a cop and the guy was getting in his face and got shoved, he deserves it. But because he is a cop and they "know" he can't react how a man instinctively wants to :jerkoff:

I agree but it works both ways.
Next time Im in full leathers and a cop is "getting in my face" and lecturing me like a god damn 8 year old for going 10 over in the canyons Ill make sure and tell the officer just what you said. Because I damn sure would not let someone without a badge talk to me that way. You want respect, ya ought give some. I could have out run you, you self righteous asshole. But I gave you the respect you deserve and pulled over. Dont make me regret my decision.
:doublefinger:

Hoot
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Please say you have a go pro. :) haha I can see it now. Hoot said!

You're right, in that case the officers common sense would be trumped by their badge.

sag
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 09:04 PM
military and police should be supported 100%, 99% of the time (exceptions for the real criminals wearing a uniform). most cities struggle with cops shooting and killing their innocent children not their college-douche patrol officers shoving a drunk in public offender with one hand. i would raise an eyebrow if the used his body and full on two handed shoved the kid to the ground but this? come on.

MRA 32
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:34 PM
I have two police officers in my family. Officers do not shove people. The officer was in a bad position and should have corrected it without shoving the suspect. People are allowed the freedom of speech...That means I can say fuck you to a cop and he can't kick my ass for it. If this person was deemed a threat he should have been cuffed.

Police should not act on emotion. They are trained to ask questions to get information plus they are trained to control every situation. Officers are very skilled at this and use it to keep themselves out of danger. Regardless of what the suspect said, he did not in any way need to be shoved. I believe this officer needs some help.

ghostrider_9
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 05:16 PM
Here is the unbiased litmus test:

If the cop was standing too close to the kid in the video and the kid did that to the cop, would it be considered assault?

There are not (pronounced "should not be") any double standards in a situation like this. If it would be considered assault from the kid, then it should also be considered assault by the cop.

As stated several times earlier, we (the viewers) have no idea what is being said before the cop pushes the kid. In my personal opinion (I realize this is only my opinion), the only way this would be justified is if the cop was standing there, telling the kid to move back and he would not comply. Even if that was the case, all he had to do was indicate this to one of the other officers and the kid would have been arrested and this would not have happened like this. It's unfortunate that this happened, regardless of the circumstances and regardless of who is at fault . . . I still think it should have gone down differently.

Radek
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 05:42 PM
we live in #1 country , with #1 police . Everyone need to respect that when they near and if you want test them , its your right

Samko
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 06:46 PM
Most cops will have direct reflection of your attitude towards them . Yes sir, no sir , thank you for the speeding ticket Sir!

Samko
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 06:49 PM
Now there is a few cool cops on westside Phx , that will fight you if you call them out. And no you would not go to jail afterwards.

Ghosty
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 08:55 AM
Now there is a few cool cops on westside Phx , that will fight you if you call them out. And no you would not go to jail afterwards.
Huh?