PDA

View Full Version : Basic Motorcycle Maintenance Class (TCLOCS) CANCELLED!!!!

bornwildnfree
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 01:08 PM
*************CANCELLED*****************
Mother nature has decided we are getting snow this weekend so this is cancelled, but the Mashup is still on. I will reschedule this to May.

I came up with this idea after I bought my mom her first sportbike and realized that not everyone out there has a friend who can show them how to properly maintain these machines we trust our lives to. For example, everyone says to check your tire pressure, but what exactly does that mean to a new rider especially if they have never checked tire pressure on a car? I decided to try and bridge the gap between what the Basic Rider Course tells you and what that actually means in the real world. I got together with Spooph and Spiderman and we came up with a class that is based on a concept that's taught in the MSF BRC: TCLOCS (Tires - Controls - Lights - Oil - Chassis - Stands).

This class is designed for the new riders out there who just took the Basic Rider Course and just bought their first bike or for someone who has owned their bike for a while but would like to learn how to do the most basic maintenance on their motorcycle but ALL are welcome. We based this class on the MSF TCLOCS course, but will be providing a demonstration of each step as well as helping you preform the steps on your own motorcycle. You will learn such things as how to change your oil* and how to check tire pressure as well as lots and lots of other information. We will also be doing a paced ride after the class to work on riding skills. There are 8 spots available. Spouses, extra friends, significant others, small children, and pets are wonderful, but not allowed at this course.

*You do not have to change the oil on your bike if you do not want to or it isn't time or whatever, but we will be demonstrating how to do it and if you want to learn on your own bike, please see below for what you need to bring (it never hurts to change it before it needs to be changed ;) ).
You will need to bring:
1) You
2) Your motorcycle (please fill up the tank before you get to my house.)
3) Owners Manual: if you have one, if not, PM me and we'll see what we can dig up
4) The tool kit that came with your motorcycle: If you don't have one, don't worry. Look online for what was in it. If you can't find it PM me.
5) One 3/8 in ratcheting socket with a set of sockets: You can get a set of 10mm-18mm sockets at Sears or Harbor Freight. The most common ones I've found are 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, but each bike is different.
6) A set of allen (hex key) wrenches
7) A penny
8) At least a helmet, gloves, and jacket if you are going on the ride after.

*To change the oil on your bike, you will need:
1) Correct oil filter for your bike: You can find them at any motorcycle shop
2) Oil: You will need to bring the number of quarts your motorcycle uses. If there is a question of what type/kind to get, please PM me and we will get you an answer.
3) The correct socket for taking off your oil drain bolt: again, if you don't know, PM me.
4) An oil filter socket: This is a giant socket that fits around the oil filter making it easier to get off. Can be picked up with the oil filter. It's nice to have, but not necessary.

All of this will fit in a standard backpack. If you are uncomfortable carrying all of this in a backpack you can drop it off the night before.

Sign up by PMing me or Replying in the thread and I will add you to the list. Spots will probably go quickly so sign up now!

1) Barb Little
2) dolphinrider
3) heater
4) Tara Long
5) Raudenbush
6) Fun Sized
7) Moose73
8)
Lunch will be chili and pizza. If you would like to contribute $5 towards lunch, it would be nice, but not necessary.

Address: 10440 W 83rd Ave
Arvada, CO 80005

bornwildnfree
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 02:38 PM
This just in: Rybo has offered to sponsor lunch! Thanks RYBO!!!!

willb003
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 05:49 PM
I can teach some things if ness. and or bring tools

bornwildnfree
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 06:36 PM
I need to borrow rear stands. I have 4 so far, but will need another 4.

willb003
Thu Mar 29th, 2012, 06:51 PM
I have roll in chock, rear stand and center stand(may not work with certain bikes)

bornwildnfree
Fri Mar 30th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Good lord, Grim left this thread alone O.o...hope he's feeling ok.

Sully
Fri Mar 30th, 2012, 11:45 AM
omg, now you're asking for trouble! :lol:

~Barn~
Fri Mar 30th, 2012, 12:09 PM
I have stands that you can use for this, if you want to come pick them up.

DemonRider
Fri Mar 30th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Christi, I can drop off both our rear stands ahead of time if you still need them :)

grim
Fri Mar 30th, 2012, 12:19 PM
*You do not have to change your oil if you do not want to or it isn't time or whatever, but we will be demonstrating how to do it and if you want to learn how, please see below for what you need to bring (it never hurts to change it before it needs to be changed ;) ).
You will need to bring:
1) You
2) A clean pair of underwear
3) A hammer
4) A bigger hammer
5) A leather belt (to bite down on)
6) Ass-less chaps
7) KY ease in jelly
8) A good attitude

*To change your oil, you will need:
1) At least 5 feet of clear 2" OD tubing
2) 50oz of purified water from the rivers of ancient Babylon.
3) 5 gallon bucket available at your local wicken supply store.
4) A speculum found at your local dentist office.

All of this will fit in a standard backpack. If you are uncomfortable carrying all of this in a backpack you can drop it off the night before. :eyebrows:

Sign up by PMing me or Replying in the thread and I will add you to the list. Spots will probably go quickly so sign up now!

1) Barb Little
2) dolphinrider
3) heater
4) Tara Long
5)
6)
7)
8)
Lunch will be chili and hot dogs. If you would like to contribute $5 towards lunch, it would be nice, but not necessary.

Address: 10440 W 83rd Ave
Arvada, CO 80005

:shocked: Sounds like a good time.

bornwildnfree
Fri Mar 30th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Ohhh thanks ~Barn~ (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=83) and DemonRider (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=5921). I will definitely take you up on this.

bornwildnfree
Fri Mar 30th, 2012, 01:08 PM
grim (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=6878) you're always welcome.

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Mar 30th, 2012, 01:14 PM
There are 8 spots available. Spouses, extra friends, significant others, small children, and pets are wonderful, but not allowed at this course.

:drink: Leg humpers? :leghump:

grim
Fri Mar 30th, 2012, 01:26 PM
grim (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/member.php?u=6878) you're always welcome.

I would love to join your what looks to be a Colonoscopy party but i have some filming and editing to do on sunday.

Sully
Fri Mar 30th, 2012, 01:39 PM
I would love to join your what looks to be a Colonoscopy party but i have some filming and editing to do on sunday.

It's not until April 15th :lol:... so you can be all stocked up on condoms and lube by then!

grim
Fri Mar 30th, 2012, 01:49 PM
It's not until April 15th :lol:... so you can be all stocked up on condoms and lube by then!

Date read fail, April 15th I will be at HPR.

SaShWhO
Fri Mar 30th, 2012, 04:14 PM
don't have a penny so I'm out.

the.mercer
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 02:42 PM
I will send my rear stand with Tara, assuming you don't want the bike there too :p

thankgod
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 07:58 PM
I need help learning how to put my helmet on....any ideas???:up:

bornwildnfree
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 11:10 AM
@thankgod....yep, lots of lube and a hammer :D.

bornwildnfree
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 11:13 AM
You guys have been awful quiet about this. Usually the club has strong feelings one way or another on this type of thing. It makes me worried that you guys are so quiet.

Schiff32
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Bad timing for me but this is a great idea!

JonnyD
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 11:34 AM
This is a great idea! I have a buddy this would be perfect for (just bought a 675 street triple, passed the class last year), unfortunately we're going riding that day at 9:30. I hope the class goes well!

Penadam
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 12:23 PM
You guys have been awful quiet about this. Usually the club has strong feelings one way or another on this type of thing. It makes me worried that you guys are so quiet.

Are you a certified motorcycle mechanic on all the brands that you intend to service that day? Are you bonded and insured? Have you prepared liability wavers for everyone attending to sign? Do you have an EMTs on standby to deal with any potential injuries?

I don't think you've through through this class very well. Are you willing to be responsible for people hurting themselves based on your advice? What about if they crash into a school and run over children? It's so dangerous for you to be doing this and anyone would be crazy to attend and put their life (and that of the children) in your hands.

Feel better now?:lol:

bulldog
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I have stands that you can use for this, if you want to come pick them up. You should be the first person to sign up for this class :D

usmcab35
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 12:36 PM
great idea, im shocked this hadnt been done before, I would love to help with it if i could, dang army training and something called a deployment?????

bornwildnfree
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 12:53 PM
This is a great idea! I have a buddy this would be perfect for (just bought a 675 street triple, passed the class last year), unfortunately we're going riding that day at 9:30. I hope the class goes well!

We will be going for a ride, just later in the day if you want to come with us.

MetaLord 9
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 01:29 PM
I came up with this idea ... I decided to try and bridge the gap between what the Basic Rider Course tells you and what that actually means in the real world. ... we came up with a class that is based on a concept that's taught in the MSF BRC: TCLOCS (Tires - Controls - Lights - Oil - Chassis - Stands).
You mean, a Tech Day? ;)

bornwildnfree
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 02:02 PM
I don't remember there being cookies and brownies at the last tech day.

~Barn~
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I have stands that you can use for this, if you want to come pick them up.

You should be the first person to sign up for this class :D

Save the hate and go learn some more tips for traveling outside of the country.

bulldog
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Save the hate and go learn some more tips for traveling outside of the country. Hey just trying to help you out...people got to learn somehow :dunno:
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44386

~Barn~
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Not knowing how to do something and not having the the appropriate tools, are two different things.

Didn't you just come over to my house to get help putting a PSU in your computer? I mean it's literally (4) screws.

JonnyD
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 02:35 PM
We will be going for a ride, just later in the day if you want to come with us.

What time will the ride be? Or is that dependent on how many show up for the first part?

bulldog
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Not knowing how to do something and not having the the appropriate tools, are two different things.

Didn't you just come over to my house to get help putting a PSU in your computer? I mean it's literally (4) screws. I guess, but we both know you own virtually no tools! :D

No, I went to your house to watch UFC fights and picked up that PSU on the way to your house. From what I remembered you did nothing to help me....nice try though buddy I do everything for myself. Oil changes for last 13 years on car and sportbike. I've put over 15 different mods on my car from exhaust to halo lights, to short shifters, and did it all myself with no help other than internet. It's a good feeling when you accomplish it rather than pay for it, so really just meant it may help you get more comfortable. No need in taking it the wrong way as I have no hate for you buddy....hell I may attend this class.

Hey if someone offered up a PC class I would probably go as I have lots to learn :D

~Barn~
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I put nearly 30k miles on Britney during the years that I owned her, and I did all the oil changes myself, not to mention the fact that I had a Scott's stainless filter that I had to hand-clean, each time!

I would say if push came to shove, I'm capable of performing typical bike maint. Developing the desire to want to do all of that stuff on your own, is going to be a bit of a longshot. ;)

bulldog
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 03:02 PM
I put nearly 30k miles on Britney during the years that I owned her, and I did all the oil changes myself, not to mention the fact that I had a Scott's stainless filter that I had to hand-clean, each time!

I would say if push came to shove, I'm capable of performing typical bike maint. Developing the desire to want to do all of that stuff on your own, is going to be a bit of a longshot. ;) My bad, no offense meant Barn :)

bornwildnfree
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 03:09 PM
What time will the ride be? Or is that dependent on how many show up for the first part?

The class will be from 9-11AM, Lunch, then ride leaves at 1PM. We will assign two riders to an experienced rider and have a sweeper. This will be a speed limit run where we do 5 mph over to work on skills, not speed. I have not decided the route yet but will probably include highway 72.

~Barn~
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 03:21 PM
My bad, no offense meant Barn :)

No offense taken Nate. We were just due. :p

Jmetz
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 03:44 PM
I put nearly 30k miles on Britney during the years that I owned her, and I did all the oil changes myself,

I recall doing a couple of them. :D

~Barn~
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Dammit.

Jmetz
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 03:52 PM
You were present though so that's gotta count for something.

bornwildnfree
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 08:16 AM
You were present though so that's gotta count for something.
Someone had to hold your beer right?

DolphinRider
Wed Apr 11th, 2012, 06:51 PM
:cold:Are we still doing this ? Snow and 50 degrees?:cold:

Picked up oil, filter, ect. Just in case :) everything ready to go ;)

Oh and Spooph; I'll listen to you more often !!! Damn Dealerships!:(

thankgod
Wed Apr 11th, 2012, 09:20 PM
@thankgod....yep, lots of lube and a hammer :D.

spit is better than lube...:applause: but how do we evolve ideas??? lol

grim
Wed Apr 11th, 2012, 09:25 PM
spit is better than lube...:applause: but how do we evolve ideas??? lol

Spit is more redily available as well.

SlayerAt5280
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 09:51 PM
So to sign up, do I just tell you to sign me up?
-sign me up-
please.

big53lee
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Are you a certified motorcycle mechanic on all the brands that you intend to service that day? Are you bonded and insured? Have you prepared liability wavers for everyone attending to sign? Do you have an EMTs on standby to deal with any potential injuries?

I don't think you've through through this class very well. Are you willing to be responsible for people hurting themselves based on your advice? What about if they crash into a school and run over children? It's so dangerous for you to be doing this and anyone would be crazy to attend and put their life (and that of the children) in your hands.

Feel better now?:lol:

LOL why don't u tell us how u really feel. Lol in my opinion teaching someone how to change their oil n check tire pressure is harmless. I could teach a monkey how to do those things. I could totally see ur point if they were techin noobs how to change a rear sprocket.

checking tire presure is a pretty important thing every rider should know how to do in any powersport. I mean u could pop ur tire, jump a curb, careen THRU a school and run over children.

Penadam
Thu Apr 19th, 2012, 09:41 PM
LOL why don't u tell us how u really feel. Lol in my opinion teaching someone how to change their oil n check tire pressure is harmless. I could teach a monkey how to do those things. I could totally see ur point if they were techin noobs how to change a rear sprocket.

checking tire presure is a pretty important thing every rider should know how to do in any powersport. I mean u could pop ur tire, jump a curb, careen THRU a school and run over children.

LOLZ

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41915&highlight=suspension+setting