PDA

View Full Version : How Fort Collins Motor sports sucks… (Rant kinda long)

Volition
Thu Jul 7th, 2005, 06:26 PM
I’m sure I’m not the first to say this but FCMS service department has by far the worst custermer service I've ever dealt with. Absolutely horrible! I can not emphasize enough how you should not go to them for any reason. Now keep in mind that I have no problem with the sales dept. (they have always treaded me well) but as I can no longer support giving that dealership any money what so ever. Based purely on the level of service and customer relations I have gotten from the service department. I’m not trying to talk shit or anything, but these are the facts and reason why FCMS will no longer have my business nor that of my friends.

As some of you know I recently (2 weeks) ago had a bit of a run in with a deer. Well I figured FCMS is the closest to me and I did buy my bikes from them so why not take it to them. Wow biggest mistake ever.

Not only did it take the ass-clowns there over a week to even get to my bike but when they did they totally fucked the estimate. First off the tech didn’t wash to bike prior to doing the estimate. Now that struck me as odd since it was filthy from spending some time in a creek and being out in their yard, I would have thought it’d easier to see damage that’s not covered by dirt… but what do I know.

Anyway the original estimate was for $3500ish, as I was reading down the list I couldn’t help but notice that there were a few items missing. I did a walk around with the tech and the service writer and sure enough there were a bunch of items (in plain sight!) that were missed. Now I understand that people aren’t perfect, and are bound to miss some shit so I wasn’t to upset. I had them wash my bike and redo the estimate. Three days later (2.5 really) I get a call saying that the second estimate is done. It comes out to a whopping $7100. Like I said I understand that you are gonna miss some shit but the fucking guy basically missed over half the shit that was wrong with my bike. Now is it me or is that just ridicules? Wait, It gets better.

I get a copy of the estimate and call my insurance company. As I’m speaking to this very nice lady from state farm I hear her say that my estimate is for $6400 not $7100. So now I’m like WTF! Call the dealership back and apparently, they give the insurance company a 10% discount. By this time I have already long decided that I would not deal with these guys anymore then I have to. I was gonna have them do the big shit like my swing arm and forks while I did the cowlings and stuff like that. But they just basically screwed me out of $700 by giving the Ins. Co. a discount which I should be entitled to but will no longer get (right?). Well fuck it, I decide since I have the original (2nd) estimate I’ll just take care of it with the very helpful people at sate farm.

I tell them I want my bike back and will pay them the $80 listed on the estimate sheet for their services. LOL!!! Yeah right. They promptly inform me that it’s not the $80 listed but rather $250! Now this strikes me as very odd since it lists an $80 estimate fee on their estimate, but apparently it’s their policy that if they do not do the repairs they charge for three hours of labor. Right about now I’m so calling shenanigans. So I argue with the service manager for 30min (keep in mind it’s not even my money since the Ins. Co. will cover it) but I think that that is absolutely retarded. I have since called three different dealers that all charge $80 dollars for an estimate which (unlike FCMS) they wave if you have the bike repaired there.

That brings me to twin peaks and how FCMS sucks ever more. I speak to the parts manager at FCMS, whom I know, about possibly getting a discount on parts since I was planning on doing some of the repairs myself. She knows I have bought bikes from them and have referred others there as well. She offers me 10% off the top, Not to bad, could be better but I have had other negative experiences with parts guys there a few years ago so on a whim I go to Twin peaks. And get this shit, with absolutely no customer history, other then getting my throttle bodies adjusted there once, they offer me a better deal then FCMS! GOD I would have thought that FCMS would have treaded me better then a dealer that I have never even done business with… but what the fuck do I know.

Anyway, long story short: Fort Collins Motor Sports can kiss my ass, congratulations Twin peaks you’ve just earned your self another customer… and you didn’t even have to do a thing.

*edit* PS Monky: I don’t care about my spelling/grammar mistakes. :D

Anonymous
Thu Jul 7th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Sorry to hear about that. :|

Whatever came of the argument between you and the service mgr about the $80 vs. $250?

BTW, moved to Shop Experiences. 8)

Volition
Thu Jul 7th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the move… Nothing. It ended with him saying "you owe us $250 if you want your bike back" and me replying you lost my business, that of my friends, and anyone else I can convince to go else where. Like I said it’s not my money or I would push it and take it all the way up if I had to.

99GSXR750
Thu Jul 7th, 2005, 07:12 PM
I had a gas leak a while back and i took mine in to FCMS. They told me the same thing about the estimate. They said that normally they would charge you by the hour for the estimate but if you get it fixed there they cut you a deal. Kinda dumb if you ask me. It can't take them that long to figure out what is wrong.

Drew 600r
Thu Jul 7th, 2005, 07:37 PM
I bought my bike there and had so-so expierence. What was really gay was when I took my bike in for a rear tire change (i bought the tire there) it took them 5.5 hours to do it and I even made an appointment to have it done and it still took them that long, not to mention the 8 salesmen sitting around in a group all day. I dont want to do business with them every again, but they have a huge selection of used sport bikes, so sometimes I temped myself to go up there but eventually come to my senses.

BerZerKer
Thu Jul 7th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Oh yeah, they're sheisty too. A friend (actually, more like an aquaintance) of my brother went there and bought an R6. Brand new R6.... for... get this... $10,500!! Now, I know that if someone buys a brand new, STOCK R6 for that much, they don't know much about bikes, or are just plain naive when it comes to dealers. But, you would think that a dealer, or any decent person for that matter, would have high enough moral standards not to screw someone that bad. I understand about making a profit, but damn.... that's a bit much.

Volition
Fri Jul 8th, 2005, 09:19 AM
I also have a friend that paid about that much for his 04 R6. but that's really his own fault, you can talk them down. Plus at that price you get all the worthless maint. plans and ahit like that as well... still to much but you can get a good deal out of them if you push it.

unlike service, those guys just wont budge even a little to come your way.

nileator01
Fri Jul 8th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Worst shop ever! Don't go there for anything. Other shops are sooo much better in all regards. Take your bike to TK for anything service wise, it's so worth the drive.

I just go FCMS now and again to pick up oil filters for my bike. And sometimes they don't even have that in stock. R6 oil filter at a Yamaha dealer, (you wouldn't want to keep a few of those on hand now would you :roll: )

Hey Mike, didn't I tell you when we dragged your R6 there how much I disliked them. :lol:

Good luck man, and I can help you out with some of those repairs if you need.

ripley311
Fri Jul 8th, 2005, 10:43 AM
I went in last year to see about getting a 1.5 year old r6 that was injected instead of my carburated r6. they said a used r6 with 4500 miles was 7999. at the time new r6s were selling for 8100. i called him out on this so the saleman proceeded to tell me that new r6s msrp was 9500. Another time i wanted to check out financing on a tl1000 so the saleman had me initial that it was ok to run a credit check. he came back with some #s and said that i had initialed that i would take the bike that day. he had written some other shit nearby afterwards. then he tells me that that is a binding contract and I have to buy the bike. I tell him it is not a binding contract untill i sign the loan papers and the sales receipt. He goes into more bs and calls the manager. They finally say they will let me off this time but i should not lead them to believe i'm going to buy the bike if im not and all this crap.
So now i bought a new gsxr 1000 a few weeks later and in the past year i have probably drove it there 30 times to look at parts and try on jackets and shit, just to show them what bad sales will get them(everyone going to another dealer) there are a few good saleman there though but many are lying dics

BerZerKer
Fri Jul 8th, 2005, 11:01 AM
I have talked to a couple of thier sales reps as well. I'll tell ya, niether of them seemed to really know what they were talking about. I went in there to check out the new gixxer 1k, and they didn't have any on the floor. But one of the mechs was on the floor bs'n with a sales guy and overheard me talking to this other guy. He came over and said they had a new 1k in the back, but that they had dropped it bringing it off the truck (yeah, dropped it) and were waiting for new plastics. I said, no biggie. I wasn't there to buy anyway. So, the not-so educated salesrep, the mechanic and I went to the back to check out this bike. Now, the mech and I hit it off really well, we totally started bs'n about how great it was, (the gixxer) while the sales rep just sat there in the corner. I think I remember him saying something about how cool the new R6 is going to be?? Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a potential client looking at a Suzuki, and bringing up a Yamaha, not to metion 2 engine sizes down from the size I'm looking at?? I think they really need some classes or something. Maybe we should all go over there an fill out some comment cards. That'd be funny.

McVaaahhh
Fri Jul 8th, 2005, 12:25 PM
One thing that I really don't like about FCMS is NONE of their ads have a price listed. They advertise all over cycle trader and nothing is priced. They just want you to call and talk to some shark salesman who will just fill your ears with B.S.

Has ANYBODY had a good experience with them? I wasn't planning on ever going there, but I'm sure glad that I read this thread just in case.

Khalid 171
Fri Jul 8th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Ouch you guys are harsh. I am in the sales department and I feel like I have a lot of knowledge on all our products and more than enough real world experiance. About the guy who paid 10,500 for the R6 basically paid full MSRP, Dealer Costs, and tax, which brings you to that number. Now maybe he didn't want to take the time to try and fight over numbers or didn't know, but this price is our total price without discount so if was OK with it, why would we not agree. We list out all the costs and fees and I am sure the customer was well aware of the extra costs/fees.

Now on the other hand ask Volition how we hooked him up on a brand new Blue R6 that we had to get from California.

Now everybody has there own opinions on shops and I know at our shop we try and to our best to keep the customer satisfied. I can't get into detail about each part (sales, service, parts) but I know in sales we have a meeting every morning and night to see how the day went and how the customers where getting treated.

Volition
Fri Jul 8th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Like I said I’ve never had a problem with sales, but then again I go straight to the sales manager (even when I know the sales guys there) and know how much a bike is worth and what a fair price is. I myself, and those that I have referred have gotten decent deals. Does that mean that charging someone who does not know any better $1050 for an $8000 bike is justifiable? I think not, FCMS obviously does.

It was not the actions of the sales department that convinced me to never go there again. In fact Ryan the sales manger called me in an attempt to keep my business. But as the problem did not originate with him, his phone call did little to rectify the situation.

Bottom line is I have NEVER been treaded like that by ANYONE that wants my continued business. Sure they’ll get their $250 now, but they will never again sell me, my friends, and jugging by some of your response those that I can reach another Bike, part, or service!

nileator01
Fri Jul 8th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Khalid, it's nothing personal, I know you work there and knowing you for a while now, I was surprised when I found out you were working there. I remember thinking that it was nice to see they finnally had someone working there that actually knows something. But to be honest, I never thought you would be able to stand it there and I figured you would only be there a short time before you left.

Anyway, I have never had a good experience there other than that time I stopped and BS'd with you one afternoon.
I really dread going there and go out of my way not to have to. I towed Mike's R6 there after someone tried to steal it from him, and I was just rolling my eyes at the service guys coments the whole time trying as hard as I could to keep my mouth shut cause I knew Mike wanted them to work on it.

You know me, so maybe you should let your managers know that someone you know pretty well has this kind of an opinion of the place. Maybe it's time for some changes there.

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think any more of Interstate! I just figured it was the way it was up north and the shops were spoiled thinking they were the only gig in town. Turns out that Twin Peaks is not too far away!

troythetroll
Fri Jul 8th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Is it possible that people who buy motorcycles still fall for the $8000MSRP + tax + assembly + docs + cleaning + shipping + warranty which isn't any good + mandatory to keep factory warranty in effect first service which consists of wiping bike with a cloth + whatever else can be dreamed up by the salesman on the spot?

Its easy to figure out what an $8000 bike costs....$8000 + Tax. Can the arguement be made that if someone is dumb enough to buy everything else they deserve what they get? You betcha. But that hardly qualifies a shop as anything other than a "hose you down with a straight face and stand back and laugh at your stupidity after you leave" type environment. Poor business technique for keeping customers I would think.

Volition
Fri Jul 8th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Oh one more thing:

Khalid,

That fucking bike better not have come from Cali! If you guys sold Dan a non 49 state bike there is going to be hell to pay. I shit you not. Dude I like you, we have ridden together so don’t take it personal but that shit is unacceptable.

I’ll have him check tonight…

MattTLS
Fri Jul 8th, 2005, 09:14 PM
I somewhat agree with Khalid that if someone is willing to pay a given amount more than MSRP for a bike, why would the dealership do anything other than to accept the deal? But when that person and/or others figure out what has happened, why shouldn't they be upset about the goings on and do what they can to steer other potential customers toward different dealers they find to be more fair-minded?

And being that the MSRP on the latest R6 is $8399, if you can seriously convince me that there is at least $2100 in taxes and dealer costs (what's that tax rate right now anyway -- 7 or 8 % of $8399 = $588 or $672, respectively), I'd be surprised. That means at least $1400 to $1500 in dealer fees.

I worked at FCMS as a tech in '99, and unless there is a VERY, VERY significant change in how the vehicles arrive for setup, there's at most a couple hours to get a bike completed and ready for sale after it's uncrated. Add to that the obligatory shipping/destination fee (which I'd actually imagine is paid to the dealer as part of the MSRP through Yamaha), and I still don't see how you could justify the cost.

Actually, when I worked there, there was a employee who told me about a 'deal' he got by going through the service shop to have a dirt bike engine rebuilt. He received an employee discount (10 or 15 % or so, I don't remember for sure), but after having already sent the engine out, he contacted the company doing the work and found that he could have sent the engine direct to them for the rebuild, and it would have cost him less.

I guess I'd just recommend that anyone looking for a bike/service/etc. should at least compare some other dealers and/or mail order for parts before just opening their wallets at the nearest shop. It's your money.

Matthew

BerZerKer
Fri Jul 8th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Khalid:
No disrespect intended for those of you that know what you're doing. I'm sure not ALL of the sales reps there are like that. But so far, both times I went there, the sales reps.... weren't very knowledgable. At least, not about the things I was asking.

And if that bike was "special ordered" out of Cali.... well, let's just say that was a mistake :lol: Do you know how many people that live in CA drive to AZ or UT just to get a bike!? Let me tell ya... quite a few. That's why I still kept that damn '92 Katana and didn't buy a new bike 'till I moved out here!

Khalid 171
Fri Jul 8th, 2005, 10:36 PM
No when I say we got the bike from california it doesn't mean it is the cali. model. We got it from a warehouse in California. Don't worry Mike the bike is fine. :up:

As far a the sales dept. goes we do have a few people that have no clue about any of the units, which always didn't make sense to me either, but they learn.

No offense taken guys by anything send here. :) Everybody has reasons for liking a shop or not and that is totally OK with me. I do though like the idea about the comment cards. I am sure we could use a dose of constructive critisicms(sp) to let us know where are faults are. :up:

BerZerKer
Fri Jul 8th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Cool man. Hey, I heard that Interstate was running you guys out. What's the deal there? I heard this from a fairly good source as well. Well, the former posts on this thread may tell that it's not just Interstate though.... what's your thoughts Khalid?

Khalid 171
Sun Jul 10th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Cool man. Hey, I heard that Interstate was running you guys out. What's the deal there? I heard this from a fairly good source as well. Well, the former posts on this thread may tell that it's not just Interstate though.... what's your thoughts Khalid?

I don't know what source you heard this from, but we are averaging 15-20 more units each month than we did last year. Maybe Honda is doing better than last year also, but they are not running us out.

It's weird because we have been meeting and by far exceeding our monthly goals in all departments, not just sales, but I definalty don't think we have a very good system. I beleive that there needs to be a lot of improvements there, but that is just my opinion and like I said we have been doing great, so even though I might think the system sucks, it is working.

Nile----> I actually just quit there a few days ago. I am going back to school to finish up my last year at CSU, so I don't have the time to work 10+ hours a day. Maybe if they have a spot in parts when I get back from Kuwait I will work in parts, but if not than I won't go back and work there. Oh and by the way I am coming back in 2 weeks and am itching to jump on the quad so if you want to head out someday let me know. Also I think I might just have enough motion back in my knee to ride again, so when I get back, if I do have enough I will be hitting up the track a ton, so if you ever want to do a track day just let me know. My goal is to try and race at the double header at PPIR so I will be practing a lot.

Lucky
Sun Jul 10th, 2005, 01:37 PM
When I was looking for a bike I stopped at FCMS a couple times. Khalid helped and he was willing to help me find a good deal, but no one else there was. Practically every dealer I went to up here and down south jacked up their prices ridiculous amounts and added on these BS dealer fees and crap. They weren't willing to drop the prices much either because people are actually paying these high prices for the bikes, so why would they drop the prices?

Then I went to Moto Adventures off the frontage road between Prospect and Mulberry. I got an '03 Katana that the kbb.com retail price is $4,325 and nadaguides.com suggest it sell for $4,385 for $3,650 and only 2,100 miles. They also DO NOT have dealer fees or any of that crap.

I believe they mainly sell Kawasaki and only have a small new/used inventory because they are so small but they will treat you right and give you a good deal. They even said that they get a lot of business because the larger dealerships are trying to rip off the consumers so bad, so they go to them instead. They also let you test ride the bikes if they think you are experienced enough. I can't say enough good things about that dealership. My sales rep was Rodger, and he was awesome. I told him about my previous experiences and they treated me right the first time. NO HAGGLING what-so-ever.

Best of looking bike hunting guys!

Volition
Mon Jul 11th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Well it sounds like no one likes FCMS. I dont get how are they still keeping thier doors open?

troythetroll
Mon Jul 11th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Maybe when they apply the infamous dealer "bendover" fee's, they offer up a reacharound to the poor slob who doesn't know whats happening to them?

Lucky
Tue Jul 12th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Well it sounds like no one likes FCMS. I dont get how are they still keeping thier doors open?

They are probably still open because they do have such a large inventory... I haven't seen a dealership (even in Denver) that can compete with their amount of used bikes.

Bat
Tue Jul 12th, 2005, 07:32 PM
I have also had less than favorable experiences with ftc motorsports.

The male salesmen are way too cool to help out some "stupid girl" (although staring at body parts is apparently more than okay). Rude, insolent punks that act like you just asked for the moon by expecting them to get off their butts and work for a living. I apologize for anyone here that may have worked there - you must not have been there at the same time I was (much to my regret).

When I was bike shopping, I was hoping to find a used 250 for cheap...these guys had one (98, if I remember correctly) for 2890. It was in less than perfect condition but they wouldn't haggle price with me...at all. Why the hell would I pay that much for a bike that old (with issues) when I could get a new one for 2999 msrp without any problems? The salesman was nice enough at first but totally tried to bs me with the price, trying to pressure me for a "holding deposit", saying they had another buyer (sure, buddy) coming in that afternoon. Really laying on the used car salesman persona. I said cool, if they wanna pay that - they can have it. Some buyer... the bike was still there when I stopped by a coupla weeks later to check up.

I am completely in agreement with Lucky - after scouring Colorado from here to South Denver, I also ended up at Motoadventure. Everyone there was absolutely fantastic, got my brand spanking new off the truck ninja for under msrp and that's it - no prep fees, no dealer fees, no bs. The guys even held the bike for me for several days on good faith (no down) until I could make it up there to pick it up. They have been professional, knowledgable, and even (gasp) downright friendly - chatting with me about all kinds of bike questions, gear questions, etc. I really can't say enough good things about them.

Motoadventure deserves your business...as for FTC Motorsports - well, if you're into getting reamed (no kisses AND you'll have to pay extra for it), go for it.

troythetroll
Tue Jul 12th, 2005, 07:38 PM
What do they do differently than the other dealerships? I've always noticed that used bikes at places like Sun and Fay tend to be thin compared to new bikes.

Volition
Wed Jul 13th, 2005, 07:51 AM
I'm sooo gald i'm not the only one that thinks they suck!

Troy, i think most dealers wait to get trade ins for thier used bike inventory. FCMS goes out and buys private bikes cheap and tosses em on thier floor for 2k+ or more. they bougth my friends 01 R6 for $5900 ( a fair price) and put it on the floor that day for $7800....

troythetroll
Wed Jul 13th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Well, that would be one way to do it. I can't say I've been happy with trade in prices on many of my machines, maybe thats what I should do, take them up North to trade them outright for cash, then go shopping clean for a new one somewhere else.

(( LO LO ))
Tue Jul 19th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Yo Khalid 171, you have a PM man...

AntiTrust
Wed Sep 14th, 2005, 07:35 AM
I don't know anyone who thinks they do honest business there. I bought my current bike from them becuase they gave me the deal I wanted, but I don't recommend them to ANYBODY.

Shady fucking trade-in values, full MSRP trade-in gouging, overpriced as hell accessories, and salesmen that are flat out liars. And not sales pressure, I mean straight up lies. I swear they just make the shit up on the spot. I am sure some of those guys are decent people outside the walls, but most of them can get fucked in general.

I stop in every once in awhile to get some oil-filters, or look at what used bikes they have hanging around, but I can't stand those guys. Also, how come EVERY other dealer in the Fort offers demo's on used bikes to anyone with an M endorsement but they don't?

Slime. Pure, unadulterated slime.

Khalid, I wished you still worked there. You were on my short list of people I respected.