PDA

View Full Version : Who Rides With Earbuds/Headphones [ILLEGAL]

bulldog
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:25 PM
Well maybe people know, but I never knew that this was illegal and a police officer can give you a ticket for it. Found this out today when Grim's friend got pulled over and the cop let him slide on the ticket, but Grim thought the officer said it would be a $250 fine. Audio of cops threating ticket here (Thanks Grim) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy2-Q0NpRkc

Per link, I am not sure it is this severe, but I don't like to give a cop any reason tio pullme over or issue another ticket, so thought I would make people aware.

http://www.leg.state.co.us/2003a/inetcbill.nsf/a9b5aa3a41373aed872566a500594901/fd6da2bfa28fcc6287256c5a00609b9d/$FILE/wptemp.txt

WolFeYeZ posted the above link and thought "From what I know you can have earbuds hooked up to your phone as an exemption to this rule. Now if you have music blaring, I'm sure they will assume its not actually for phone use". So maybe this is our loophole if we do get pulled over and threatened with a ticket.

I wore them for years, but recently went back to earplugs; which I use for ear protection because wind noise can be one of the most damaging thing to hearing loss. If anyone knows if these are also illegal please post it up.

salsashark
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:33 PM
Use to use the little foamy earplugs all the time. I had a set of custom plugs made last year w/ speakers embedded in them. I love them lots. Not only do I use them all the time while riding, I've also found that they are amazing on airplanes. They work better then any noise cancelling headsets I've used.

Since I started wearing them, I've noticed that I can ride much further with little/no fatigue, I don't get headaches and my ears don't ring after a good day of riding.

I don't ride around with music blaring (even if it may be an option), but my hearing is worth it to me... I'd kind of like to keep that. I have two friends who are ex-artillery and they are nearly deaf in their mid-30s. If I can avoid that by being a bit sensible, I'm ok with that. And, if a cop see their way to ticket me for it, I'll deal with that as well.

TwistyRydr
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:35 PM
Glad we picked up G4's last week. Rather spend the money on that than a stupid ticket!

salsashark
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:39 PM
^^ My earbuds are plugged into a sena SMH10... The helmets speakers suck. Well, at least Sena's do.

Mother Goose
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 02:46 PM
I wear my earphones all the time, and I know it's not legal. I've been pulled over a few times and have never had an officer say anything about them. I have the wireless controller, so I can adjust the volume, pause and what not. I can probably hear more with those in and music play than I can with ear plugs in, which is what I'd put in if a cop hassled me about it. :lol:

brennahm
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:03 PM
Wearing one is not illegal AFAIK, wearing both is technically illegal.

Wrider
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 03:56 PM
I just started wearing them. I've proven to myself they're not dangerous in that I usually hear ambulances and other sirens way before the cages around me, even when the music is at the upper threshold of what I like.

Sarge
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:00 PM
I found a nice pair of headphones that insert into my ears creating a sound barrier, and even came with replaceable tips. I always wear them, and set my volume at a comfortable level while NOT moving, so I know I'm not blowing my ears out even worse than without plugs. I'm an artillery man myself, but I've always paid very close attention to protecting my hearing.

~Barn~
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:01 PM
From the Colorado Revised Statutes...

42-4-1411. Use of earphones while driving. (http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=FifLink&t=document-frame.htm&l=query&iid=358b0050.ec0678e.0.0&q=%5BGroup%20%2742-4-1411%27%5D)

(1) (a) No person shall operate a motor vehicle while wearing earphones.
(b) For purposes of this subsection (1), "earphones" includes any headset, radio, tape player, or other similar device which provides the listener with radio programs, music, or other recorded information through a device attached to the head and which covers all of or a portion of the ears. "Earphones" does not include speakers or other listening devices which are built into protective headgear.
(2) Any person who violates this section commits a class B traffic infraction.

Source: L. 94: Entire title amended with relocations, p. 2395, § 1, effective January 1, 1995.

Editor's note: This section is similar to former § 42-4-237 (http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=FifLink&t=document-frame.htm&l=jump&iid=COCODE&d=42-4-237&sid=358b0050.ec0678e.0.0#JD_42-4-237) as it existed prior to 1994, and the former § 42-4-1411 (http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=FifLink&t=document-frame.htm&l=jump&iid=COCODE&d=42-4-1411&sid=358b0050.ec0678e.0.0#JD_42-4-1411) was relocated to § 42-4-1611 (http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=FifLink&t=document-frame.htm&l=jump&iid=COCODE&d=42-4-1611&sid=358b0050.ec0678e.0.0#JD_42-4-1611).

mdub
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:03 PM
i do all the time....cop told me that it was illegal right after he gave me a warning ..cool motorcycle cop...

Wrider
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:24 PM

42-4-1411. Use of earphones while driving. (http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=FifLink&t=document-frame.htm&l=query&iid=358b0050.ec0678e.0.0&q=%5BGroup%20%2742-4-1411%27%5D)

(b) For purposes of this subsection (1), "earphones" includes any headset, radio, tape player, or other similar device which provides the listener with radio programs, music, or other recorded information through a device attached to the head and which covers all of or a portion of the ears. "Earphones" does not include speakers or other listening devices which are built into protective headgear.

Source: L. 94: Entire title amended with relocations, p. 2395, § 1, effective January 1, 1995.

Editor's note: This section is similar to former § 42-4-237 (http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=FifLink&t=document-frame.htm&l=jump&iid=COCODE&d=42-4-237&sid=358b0050.ec0678e.0.0#JD_42-4-237) as it existed prior to 1994, and the former § 42-4-1411 (http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=FifLink&t=document-frame.htm&l=jump&iid=COCODE&d=42-4-1411&sid=358b0050.ec0678e.0.0#JD_42-4-1411) was relocated to § 42-4-1611 (http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=FifLink&t=document-frame.htm&l=jump&iid=COCODE&d=42-4-1611&sid=358b0050.ec0678e.0.0#JD_42-4-1611).

So you're saying if we unplug it from whatever device it's plugged into, it's perfectly legal... Gotcha...

~Barn~
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:36 PM
As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown bottle in my shaving kit. You won't need much, just a tiny taste.

asp_125
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:48 PM
I've used Skull Candys in the past, but I've noticed my hearing isn't as acute as before, so earplugs for me now. I may get the custom molded Etymotics or the like if I were to go back to earbuds, illegal or not.

Horsman
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 04:54 PM
As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown bottle in my shaving kit. You won't need much, just a tiny taste. LOL :p !!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQkEwn3cQns :up:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 05:30 PM
"Earphones" does not include speakers or other listening devices which are built into protective headgear."

The cop at the fatal accident site Saturday was obviously annoyed I couldn't hear him and was fumbling with my controller.....but if his hand signals were actually legible, it wouldn't have been an issue. I would rather use some audiophile quality speakers in my helmet because wearing the earbuds in my ears all day for days starts to hurt, and for whatever reason my left ear cannot retain the buds anyways. Glad to know when I finally make this happen I'll be "legal". ;)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 05:30 PM
As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown bottle in my shaving kit. You won't need much, just a tiny taste.

You took too much, much too much......

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 05:33 PM

So, for instance, how are people supposed to use a hands-free phone? The headset isn't "protective gear", so WTF? This law is stupid anyways because you can have it built into your helmet and be legal.....but have the music so loud you can't hear anything else. Or, more likely, be listening to (C)rap so loud that people can hear that shit 4 blocks away.

Ezzzzy1
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 06:28 PM
The reason its illegal is because it impairs your ability to hear things. Say an ambulance approaching an intersection. Ear plugs are only rated to a certian amount of noise reduction while earphones can be turned up as loud as wanted. It is not just a motorcycle law, its not legal on any road on or in any vehicle.

Wrider
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 06:35 PM
I would rather use some audiophile quality speakers in my helmet because wearing the earbuds in my ears all day for days starts to hurt, and for whatever reason my left ear cannot retain the buds anyways.

I have the same problem. I got some Yurbudz at Best Buy and it solved the problem. Basically it has a silicone piece that is added onto the earbuds they sell, and it locks them into your ear canal. The silicone piece can be put on any standard earbud. Works pretty well. I work in a cleanroom with the full on bunny suit, and it keeps them in under that, as well as under my helmet.

RCStylin'
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 06:35 PM
Fuck the police.
-NWA

Wrider
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 06:38 PM
I just started wearing them. I've proven to myself they're not dangerous in that I usually hear ambulances and other sirens way before the cages around me, even when the music is at the upper threshold of what I like.

The reason its illegal is because it impairs your ability to hear things. Say an ambulance approaching an intersection. Ear plugs are only rated to a certian amount of noise reduction while earphones can be turned up as loud as wanted. It is not just a motorcycle law, its not legal on any road on or in any vehicle.

Like I said, I heard an ambulance the other day and had traffic stopped behind me a block before they heard him and 2 blocks before he even got to the intersection. All while rocking out to the soulful voice of Louis Armstrong accompanied by the wailing sax of Duke Ellington.

AOK303
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 06:48 PM
The time I got pulled over I had them in, the cop was nice about it, had it hooked to my phone not ipod at the time but he said oh your jamming out to tunes nice... In a non sarcastic way

stubbicatt
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 08:08 PM
I have often wondered whether this would pass constitutional muster on a rational relationship test. Since DMV does not require a licensed driver to pass a hearing test to obtain a license, obviously hearing is not one of those aspects of ones' sensors which they have determined to be important in driving. If one were to wear earplugs, I'm comfortable attacking any alleged infractions based on reducing the volume of sound one hears.

I guess the theory would have to be that the sound/music coming into the head thru the earphones is the issue, not the attenuation of ambient noise for which the State cannot articulate any rational reason to prohibit by means of ear canal clogging. If so extremely loud car stereos like CM points out would easily accomplish that, yet they are not a vehicle/driving infraction/offense where wearing "headphones" is such an offense.

Just brainstorming it...

Matrix
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 08:16 PM
I have tried a bunch of a different earbuds over the years and they all seem to hurt my ears. Last year, I went on the hunt for a set of 'low-profile' and found the ones below from Altec. They are by far the best I have tried. Worth a shot if you can find them on sale. Link has them for $38.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Altec+Lansing+-+Bliss+Platinum+Earbud+Headphones+-+Cobalt+Blue/2174073.p?id=1218312947308&skuId=2174073&st=altec&cp=1&lp=4

grim
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 09:28 PM

"Did you see what goooooood did to us man?" "God didn't do that you did, you narcotics agent!"

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 07:34 AM
I have often wondered whether this would pass constitutional muster on a rational relationship test. Since DMV does not require a licensed driver to pass a hearing test to obtain a license, obviously hearing is not one of those aspects of ones' sensors which they have determined to be important in driving. If one were to wear earplugs, I'm comfortable attacking any alleged infractions based on reducing the volume of sound one hears.

I guess the theory would have to be that the sound/music coming into the head thru the earphones is the issue, not the attenuation of ambient noise for which the State cannot articulate any rational reason to prohibit by means of ear canal clogging. If so extremely loud car stereos like CM points out would easily accomplish that, yet they are not a vehicle/driving infraction/offense where wearing "headphones" is such an offense.

Just brainstorming it...
Exactly. But, the law never has to make sense, does it? ;)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 07:36 AM
Hands-free headsets impair your hearing. Loud (C)rap music (or to be fair, any music, but it seems all you hear is that shit nowadays) impairs your hearing. If your speakers are mounted inside your helmet, it's ok but earpieces are not? SRSLY? Makes no sense.

Sarge
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 07:46 AM
What about sound-proof vehicles? My loaded SUV had all sorts of sound damping, I can't hear anything except dry loud sounds even with the stereo off.

Ezzzzy1
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 07:49 AM
Like I said, I heard an ambulance the other day and had traffic stopped behind me a block before they heard him and 2 blocks before he even got to the intersection. All while rocking out to the soulful voice of Louis Armstrong accompanied by the wailing sax of Duke Ellington.

Well then lets get the law thrown out! Defy logic!

I could care less what people do but I will say that in a group its really hard to communicate with the guys that are "rocking out" but if you must wear your earphones then you gotta do what you gotta do. I would hate to see anyone suffer the pain of not being able to listen to music while riding.

Break away breakers :lol:

Ezzzzy1
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 07:54 AM
Hands-free headsets impair your hearing. Loud (C)rap music (or to be fair, any music, but it seems all you hear is that shit nowadays) impairs your hearing. If your speakers are mounted inside your helmet, it's ok but earpieces are not? SRSLY? Makes no sense.

It should make sense... There is a difference between something being IN your ear and IN your helmet.

I was on an Ambulance for 6 years, trust me you can tell who has earphones in and who doesnt. Most people start going mirror crazy about a block out when they hear sirens. Often people that had music in their ears didnt notice till I was on their ass honking.

Wrider
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 08:25 AM
Well then lets get the law thrown out! Defy logic!

I could care less what people do but I will say that in a group its really hard to communicate with the guys that are "rocking out" but if you must wear your earphones then you gotta do what you gotta do. I would hate to see anyone suffer the pain of not being able to listen to music while riding.

Break away breakers :lol:

I don't wear them if I'm riding in a group or with someone. Besides I keep it at a level below highway noise. On the Interstate I can barely hear it, but don't turn it up. I've got several deaf friends, and don't wish to become one of them. I value my hearing. (Granted, if I do go deaf, I already know sign... lol)

HOTCARCASS
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 01:55 PM
Let me get this straight -
1) Def guy can get his license to drive a motorcycle.
2) It is illegal to defen yourself while driving a motorcycle with earbuds
3) It is Legal to defen yourself while driving a motorcycle with speakers mounted in your helmet
4) It is Legal to prevent defening ambient noise entering your ears with canal plugs

salsashark
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:10 PM
3) It is Legal to defen yourself while driving a motorcycle with speakers mounted in your helmet
4) It is Legal to prevent defening ambient noise entering your ears with canal plugs

yup... basically sums it up :lol:

Excellent example of government thought process.

I've been dealing with this all day today. I've got a webserver upgrade that should take a couple of hours and about $800 worth of software licensing... I'm being told that I need to submit an RFC which takes 8 months to a year at a cost of >$25K.

Got to love it.

bulldog
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:11 PM
4) It is Legal to prevent defening ambient noise entering your ears with canal plugs What does anyt of this have to do with rap music :lol:

http://www.defjam.com/site/assets/images/splash/defjam_button.gif

asp_125
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:21 PM
OOooo.. shiny! "wireless" http://gizmodo.com/5898582/plantronics-backbeat-go-the-tiny-cheap-bluetooth-headset-buds-youve-been-waiting-for/gallery/1

"Officer they're not plugged into anything, just using them for hearing protection."

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17iejnks63sinjpg/xlarge.jpg

Clovis
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:31 PM
I installed my scala rider Q2s last summer and love it!

I have 2 (so I can switch when the first one's battery dies after 7 hours). They sync wirelessly to my phone so I can stream my music without coards. The battery/control unit is on a quick release from the headset so if I need to I just move it slightly and it breaks the connection.

I've been pulled over twice with it (and ticketed for speeding) but they've never asked about it. That's the way to go, ear buds suck!!

Ezzzzy1
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:18 PM
Q2 is different than earphones. Speakers in your helmet are LEGAL and still allow you to hear sirens even on the loudest setting.

Im pretty sure that when you dont yield to a cop or pull over right away because you didnt hear them you will be getting a ticket for wearing ear buds. All it really takes is you going through an intersection while an emergent vehicle with its sirens on is doing the same... and it could be a firetruck or an ambulance. Nothing chaps their ass more than someone lost in their own world and doesnt know to pull over or clear the intersection.

Clovis
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:24 PM
That's true. I can still hear everything going on around me as the speakers don't create a seal between the speakers and your ear canal like earbuds do.

bulldog
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:27 PM
That's true. I can still hear everything going on around me as the speakers don't create a seal between the speakers and your ear canal like earbuds do. Except you are still ruining your hearing without earplugs :dunno:

Ezzzzy1
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:33 PM
Are earphones legal on the track, during a race?

Sully
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:23 PM
I ride with one ear plug in and my XBi2 speakers in my helmet to listen to music :rock: But I can still hear sirens etc. even without turning down the volume on the helmet control

Wrider
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:34 PM

Deaf* And number 1 is a definite yes. The buddy I bought my bike from was born 100% deaf.

asp_125
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:41 PM
Deaf* And number 1 is a definite yes. The buddy I bought my bike from was born 100% deaf.

What about elderly people with hearing aids? They've got things in their ears??? Huh? Huh? Why do they get special treatment?

It's another ploy by the man to keep a brutha down!!

:D :wtf:

Whaatt? ;)

Graphite675
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 04:50 PM
Are earphones legal on the track, during a race?

As in ipod/music connected earphones? I don't think so (and I sure hope not). Don't need anyone out there getting distracted because there favorite Lady Gaga song just came on.

Ear plugs are a different story, I wear them all the time on the track/racing.

bluedogok
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 07:48 PM
Im pretty sure that when you dont yield to a cop or pull over right away because you didnt hear them you will be getting a ticket for wearing ear buds. All it really takes is you going through an intersection while an emergent vehicle with its sirens on is doing the same... and it could be a firetruck or an ambulance. Nothing chaps their ass more than someone lost in their own world and doesnt know to pull over or clear the intersection.
Their are plenty of idiots out there lost in their own world without anything plugged into their ears, man y of those people also seem to know little about driving/riding, let alone what to do when an emergency vehicle gets near them.

Ezzzzy1
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 12:07 AM
As in ipod/music connected earphones? I don't think so (and I sure hope not). Don't need anyone out there getting distracted because there favorite Lady Gaga song just came on.

Ear plugs are a different story, I wear them all the time on the track/racing.

Kinda my point on the street as well.

Their are plenty of idiots out there lost in their own world without anything plugged into their ears, man y of those people also seem to know little about driving/riding, let alone what to do when an emergency vehicle gets near them.

Sure. Should I mark you down for a vote in favor of letting these people put earphones on while they ride and drive?

Wrider
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 01:51 AM
I see people almost daily driving their cages with earphones/earbuds in. That's much more dangerous IMO, because not only do you have the sound insulation of the cage, but add the ear buds on top of that, plus some idiot who can't figure out how to make his car stereo play whatever is on his phone/ipod... That's a recipe for disaster.

Sully
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 08:28 AM
I see people almost daily driving their cages with earphones/earbuds in. That's much more dangerous IMO, because not only do you have the sound insulation of the cage, but add the ear buds on top of that, plus some idiot who can't figure out how to make his car stereo play whatever is on his phone/ipod... That's a recipe for disaster.

I don't think it's necessarily that they are trying to play a song from their iPod, did you ever think they could be talking on their phone instead?

Wrider
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 08:55 AM
I don't think it's necessarily that they are trying to play a song from their iPod, did you ever think they could be talking on their phone instead?

When there's a bud in each ear, and there's no microphone on the cord, I doubt it's a phone. It catches my attention to see people driving with earbuds in their car, so I pay attention to it for the reasons I posted above.

bulldog
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 08:56 AM
When there's a bud in each ear, and there's no microphone on the cord, I doubt it's a phone. It catches my attention to see people driving with earbuds in their car, so I pay attention to it for the reasons I posted above. Yup, I see this all the time too! So weird when I see it in newer cars and all I can think is they don't know how to hook up their ipod to their cars.

Sully
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 09:49 AM
I use my earbuds when I'm in the car for my phone.. and honestly, it doesn't look like there is a microphone on mine.. and Nate, I don't have the iPod hook up on my stereo :p (cuz I don't want to pay $400 for it!)

HOTCARCASS
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 11:00 AM
I rolled up the window in my 38 year old Fire Bird (little insulation) put Slayer on LOUD, and observed as a fire truck passed by me. I couldn't hear much of anything over the Slayer. Not enough to get my attention. I may as well of had earbuds in as there is no substantial difference IMO. There must be laws regarding volume in your car that are alligned with the earbud laws for MCs. I couldn't hear shit because my music was Def -ening.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 11:04 AM
I installed my scala rider Q2s last summer and love it!

I have 2 (so I can switch when the first one's battery dies after 7 hours). They sync wirelessly to my phone so I can stream my music without coards. The battery/control unit is on a quick release from the headset so if I need to I just move it slightly and it breaks the connection.

I've been pulled over twice with it (and ticketed for speeding) but they've never asked about it. That's the way to go, ear buds suck!!
I don't use my phone while riding. I'm only interested in audiophile quality speakers for my helmet with the typical 3mm (I think it is) plug for earbud headsets. Do they make those? I'm also thinking about getting helmet-2-helmet communicators.....although the 2 other guys I used to ride with regularly are now gone.

salsashark
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 12:11 PM
I don't use my phone while riding. I'm only interested in audiophile quality speakers for my helmet with the typical 3mm (I think it is) plug for earbud headsets. Do they make those? I'm also thinking about getting helmet-2-helmet communicators.....although the 2 other guys I used to ride with regularly are now gone.

I bought the accessory cradle for the Sena which accepts headphones.

As for audiophile quality sound, combined with the odd fitting earpieces you mentioned earlier, you're definitely going to want to get custom ear pieces made. It makes such a huge difference. They're not cheap, but they're worth it.

When I rode out to Laguna last year, I bought the smallest earbuds I could find... and I still fought with them the entire way. I had a set made there and rode just shy of 2000 miles over the next three days with no problems what so ever.

I don't remember the exact cost, but they were something like this: http://www.earplugstore.com/noname11.html

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/earplugstore_2201_228720343

Snowman
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Forget the Ipod, at least until they try and outlaw this...

Project Glass: One day... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9c6W4CCU9M4)

salsashark
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Forget the Ipod, at least until they try and outlaw this...

Project Glass: One day... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9c6W4CCU9M4)

reminds me of this - the eyePhone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaHUpWuqNHY)

Snowman
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 01:26 PM
So should we start a pool on the manner of the first death attributed to one of these?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 05:34 PM
I bought the accessory cradle for the Sena which accepts headphones.

As for audiophile quality sound, combined with the odd fitting earpieces you mentioned earlier, you're definitely going to want to get custom ear pieces made. It makes such a huge difference. They're not cheap, but they're worth it.

When I rode out to Laguna last year, I bought the smallest earbuds I could find... and I still fought with them the entire way. I had a set made there and rode just shy of 2000 miles over the next three days with no problems what so ever.

I don't remember the exact cost, but they were something like this: http://www.earplugstore.com/noname11.html

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/earplugstore_2201_228720343
Cool, thanks for the info!

Wrider
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I use my earbuds when I'm in the car for my phone.. and honestly, it doesn't look like there is a microphone on mine.. and Nate, I don't have the iPod hook up on my stereo :p (cuz I don't want to pay $400 for it!)

Ahhhh, the wonders of technology... (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/iPod-MP3-Accessories/MP3-FM-Transmitters/abcat0208031.c?id=abcat0208031)

Scatterbrain
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 05:55 PM
I wear my headphones while riding all the time too. I can' believe there's a fine for it. What will they think of next.

bluedogok
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Ahhhh, the wonders of technology... (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/iPod-MP3-Accessories/MP3-FM-Transmitters/abcat0208031.c?id=abcat0208031)
The only place that I have found where those work is out in the middle of nowhere. In a crowded radio market they are worthless, even the "out-of-FCC-compliance" Sirius one was worthless between Austin and DFW. The only ones that do work are the ones that plug in between the antenna and the radio.