PDA

View Full Version : This is F'd up - Grade school teacher’s aide fired for refusing to hand over FB pwd

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 05:23 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/grade-school-teacher-aide-fired-refusing-hand-over-172305406.html

We need laws prohibiting what employers can even ask of a current or prospective employee. That ONLY information that is public can be asked for. Your fb page, if set to private, is NOT public. Your credit history is NOT public.

tecknojoe
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 05:27 PM
The easiest response: My facebook contains political and religious affiliations, and I choose to keep that information private

It's illegal for them to ask those questions, so fuck them.

rforsythe
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 07:13 PM
The easiest response: My facebook contains political and religious affiliations, and I choose to keep that information private

It's illegal for them to ask those questions, so fuck them.

That may be the best response I've heard yet.

#1Townie
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 05:05 AM
So I guess face book is running our lives. Lol

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 07:39 AM
That may be the best response I've heard yet.
I agree, but, the fact you did not let them into your site might still make them pass over you for the job, and you'll never be able to PROVE that was it. If there was a law preventing an employer from even ASKING those questions, then they would not even be able to discriminate against you in the first place.

rforsythe
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 07:48 AM
http://raganwald.posterous.com/i-hereby-resign?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

rforsythe
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 07:52 AM
I agree, but, the fact you did not let them into your site might still make them pass over you for the job, and you'll never be able to PROVE that was it. If there was a law preventing an employer from even ASKING those questions, then they would not even be able to discriminate against you in the first place.

The fact that they're asking for access to something likely to disclose information illegal to pursue in an interview is, in my opinion, already illegal. I don't think we need a new law, I just think someone needs to test the current laws in court to bring them up to speed with technology. IMO asking for access to a private information resource containing such data is tantamount to asking for the data itself, which I believe makes it discriminatory and hence illegal.

tecknojoe
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 07:53 AM
luckily software engineering is in high demand so if I'm ever asked that question I can politely tell them to fuck themselves.

I feel bad for the people that get their first interview in 6 months and get stuck with that question

Just make a fake facebook in case it happens

Wrider
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 08:27 AM
Or there's always the old standby of "I don't have one." If it's set to private and your profile picture isn't of you, most people have at least one other person of the same name living nearby. I've got 30 some according to FB.

#1Townie
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:48 AM
Hmmm work or have your facebook. Seems like a easy one. Just saying.

Ghosty
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:08 PM
Be PROACTIVE. These idiots all think their FB info is private, lol! Not defending the actions of the company/school, but if anyone is halfway proactive, locks their FB privace settings down including requiring approval for tagging/posting photos of you, makes a fake FB, doesn't allow every weirdo onto your friends' list (especially your students?!), be dilligant/smart about what photos and posts you put up, etc., etc. then they wouldn't have to fight this issue in court instead.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:14 PM
Be PROACTIVE. These idiots all think their FB info is private, lol! Not defending the actions of the company/school, but if anyone is halfway proactive, locks their FB privace settings down including requiring approval for tagging/posting photos of you, makes a fake FB, doesn't allow every weirdo onto your friends' list (especially your students?!), be dilligant/smart about what photos and posts you put up, etc., etc. then they wouldn't have to fight this issue in court instead.
But.....it shouldn't matter. Companies have no business asking and discriminating because you don't let them.

rforsythe
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:18 PM

Well, it's the principle -- can an employer demand access to things you don't volunteer? Also if it isn't private then you don't need to unlock it, do you? The sheer fact that it requires a password to view that aspect of your life means there is a reasonable expectation of privacy. Now I am not talking about idiots that leave it all hanging out there, but the ones who do lock their accounts down. AFAIK employers looking for this stuff will generally research you publicly, and finding a locked account, then ask for the password. I don't have anything particularly scary on my private FB account, but that doesn't mean I am apathetic to some HR idiot trying to force access to it either.

The courts will hear the arguments, companies will lose, the illusion of privacy will score another victory.

Ghosty
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:19 PM
Like I said, I'm not defending the company/school.

But, in light of recent news about this very thing, I'd say people need to not just be Sheeple and think the government/courts will protect them and they "have a right" to those jobs. I have some sympthy, but not that much sympathy, when it would've easily been avoided, by doing some things proactively that would've taken her (or anyone) about 15 minutes, and is free.

I agree that courts need be on the side of the citizen in this case obviously, for the reasons you posted.

rforsythe
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:26 PM
Like I said, I'm not defending the company/school.

But, in light of recent news about this very thing, I'd say people need to not just be Sheeple and think the government/courts will protect them and they "have a right" to those jobs. I have some sympthy, but not that much sympathy, when it would've easily been avoided, by doing some things proactively that would've taken her (or anyone) about 15 minutes, and is free.

I agree that courts need be on the side of the citizen in this case obviously, for the reasons you posted.

The courts aren't guaranteeing a job. They would just be guaranteeing a fair shot at a job by preventing discrimination from occurring due to an employer accessing something you have taken steps to keep private.

#1Townie
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:34 PM
I have I question for you all. Do you know every person that is on all your friends facebooks? You understand when you post on a friends facebook all there friends see it right? Hey Ralph did you know you and I have posted in the same post on facebook?

Ghosty
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:39 PM
The courts aren't guaranteeing a job. They would just be guaranteeing a fair shot at a job by preventing discrimination from occurring due to an employer accessing something you have taken steps to keep private.
Agree, they should prevent this.

asp_125
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:39 PM
I don't have anything particularly or even remotely embarassing on my FB account. (well there was that one time, in band camp)

But if an employer aka stranger were to ask for access, they can get :doublefinger:

It's the principle of the thing. Even if you did not have a FB account, the question would be identical to if an employer were to ask for permission to stalk you during the day, peek in your bedroom windows at night, follow your spouse and kids around. Am I right? Who's going to give permission for that?

birchyboy
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 01:48 PM
So I guess face book is ruining our lives. Lol

Fixed

I`m Batman
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 01:50 PM
Or just create a fake FB page that you can give out for these kind of purposes.

GIRLr6ider
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 01:57 PM
And people give me dumb looks and ask me why I dont have a facebook...because of crap like this

Ghost
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 01:58 PM
Or just create a fake FB page that you can give out for these kind of purposes.

Again, while that may "work" it's missing the point--no employer should be able to ask to get into your FB account, period.

Privacy laws need to be updated.

bulldog
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:09 PM
Well on the flip side a employeer doesn't have to hire you if they don't want to. If people think their FB is more important than a job, then go with it and give them your :doublefinger:

I'll be the guy that takes YOUR job since I don't have a FB :D

Penadam
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:24 PM
Well on the flip side a employeer doesn't have to hire you if they don't want to. If people think their FB is more important than a job, then go with it and give them your :doublefinger:

Facebook isn't the issue here, it's simply a symptom of the erosion of privacy rights. Just like there are laws already in place to protect people from discrimination on the basis of gender, health, marital status, race, etc... Would you like to be discriminated against because of personal choices you made, like having a family, or for some medical condition outside your control? Employment is me exchanging services with a company in return for money. It doesn't give them the right to control or dictate things unrelated to the services I offer.

asp_125
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:30 PM
+1 it's not just about FB. It's allowing the electronic stalking of your life. (.. or allowing MORE stalking)

TFOGGuys
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:44 PM

So, you'd be ok with a prospective employer having access to your bank account, credit cards, and email?

They'll want account numbers and passwords, plus the ability to install keylogger software on your home computer, and access to your voicemail and texts. Also a GPS tracker on your ankle so that they know if you spend time in bars or visit any "questionable" establishments. All of this BEFORE they decide whether or not to hire you.

bulldog
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:49 PM
Facebook isn't the issue here, it's simply a symptom of the erosion of privacy rights. Just like there are laws already in place to protect people from discrimination on the basis of gender, health, marital status, race, etc... Would you like to be discriminated against because of personal choices you made, like having a family, or for some medical condition outside your control? Employment is me exchanging services with a company in return for money. It doesn't give them the right to control or dictate things unrelated to the services I offer. Cool, explain that in the job interview and see how far it gets you then :dunno:

Why do people think life is fair! Breaking news: IT IS NOT!

So, you'd be ok with a prospective employer having access to your bank account, credit cards, and email?

They'll want account numbers and passwords, plus the ability to install keylogger software on your home computer, and access to your voicemail and texts. Also a GPS tracker on your ankle so that they know if you spend time in bars or visit any "questionable" establishments. All of this BEFORE they decide whether or not to hire you. Maybe...if I needed the job bad enough. All that stuff is pointless without money! Although that is a bit far fetched when compared to a lame social networking site password....especially when you can easily create a dummy one.

I am just saying, just like we don't have to ride motorcycles, you do not have to have a FB account. I don't agree with it, but there are many things in life I have to deal with that I don't agree with.

P.S. Didn't we already have this same thread.....people care about FB nowadays way too much! More people need to get off their asses and maybe work on their fitness since that actually matters in life!

Nick_Ninja
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:49 PM
Prospective employer: Sir, we need your password to your Facebook Account and to your private email account before we can hire you.

N_N: Certainly! It is written down on a piece of paper in this envelope!

(The envelope is actually loaded with Anthrax) :twisted: :321:

asp_125
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:03 PM
Self employed = problem solved.

Well.. least until clients / customers start asking for FB.

Ghost
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:06 PM
Cool, explain that in the job interview and see how far it gets you then :dunno:

Missing the point x 1,000,000

bulldog
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:14 PM
Missing the point x 1,000,000 Probably, but a bunch of grown men bitching about their FB account is funny to me.

Yes I get it is about privacy, but it is a right to work at a place not a priveledge...you can always walk away and be self employed like asp_125.

Penadam
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:17 PM
Cool, explain that in the job interview and see how far it gets you then :dunno:

Maybe...if I needed the job bad enough. All that stuff is pointless without money! Although that is a bit far fetched when compared to a lame social networking site password....especially when you can easily create a dummy one.

I am just saying, just like we don't have to ride motorcycles, you do not have to have a FB account. I don't agree with it, but there are many things in life I have to deal with that I don't agree with.

P.S. Didn't we already have this same thread.....people care about FB nowadays way too much! More people need to get off their asses and maybe work on their fitness since that actually matters in life!

I wouldn't care how far it got me, I wouldn't work for a company that crapped all over it's employees like that. If that's how they treat people they want to work for them, how do you imagine they treat their employees.

Life may not be fair, but anti-discrimination and privacy laws exist to make it a little fairer. I wouldn't say it's at all far fetched compared to your bank account. It's information you want to keep private that they want, just like access to your bank account. It doesn't matter what the information is, it's the fact that I don't want other people knowing it that's important.

There actually was a recent court case regarding computer passwords.

https://www.eff.org/cases/us-v-fricosu
http://www.informationweek.com/news/security/encryption/231001831

bulldog
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:21 PM
I wouldn't care how far it got me, I wouldn't work for a company that crapped all over it's employees like that. If that's how they treat people they want to work for them, how do you imagine they treat their employees. Cool, sad thing is, with this economy there will be ten people behind you that would and get the job. :dunno: Hopefully your beliefs will not result in you and your family homeless...

If someone is not smart enough to create a fake account for this reason, maybe they are not smart enough to get the job. It's so simple!!!!!

Hell I'd use it to my advantage and have charity groups, slogans on hard working, lovely pictures of my beloved mom, dog/cat shelter rescue adotions, etc! Only idiots are effected by this if they can't see the easy way around it! :lol:

rforsythe
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:24 PM
Probably, but a bunch of grown men bitching about their FB account is funny to me.

Yes I get it is about privacy, but it is a right to work at a place not a priveledge...you can always walk away and be self employed like asp_125.

By that logic you also then feel laws preventing discrimination against potential employees are useless, and people who get screwed because of their skin color, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, etc should just go fuck themselves and become self employed? Right? That's what you're saying. That's the kind of stuff someone is going to learn about you from your FB profile. I get that employers want to catch a screw-up before it's too late, but the method is egregiously flawed.

The right to a fair shake at a job IS A RIGHT. It's legally guaranteed. If you're an idiot and can't get hired that's on you, but you should not lose your shot just because someone doesn't like what you are. Employment and advancement opportunity should be based on normal things like merit, work ethic, and size of boobs.

rforsythe
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:26 PM
If someone is not smart enough to create a fake account for this reason, maybe they are not smart enough to get the job. It's so simple!!!!!

So in order to get a real shot at a job, people should have to create fraudulent identities just to deceive an employer? What you see as smart, I see as "grounds for termination when the employer finds out".

Nick_Ninja
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:27 PM
By that logic you also then feel laws preventing discrimination against potential employees are useless, and people who get screwed because of their skin color, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, etc should just go fuck themselves and become self employed? Right? That's what you're saying. That's the kind of stuff someone is going to learn about you from your FB profile. I get that employers want to catch a screw-up before it's too late, but the method is egregiously flawed.

The right to a fair shake at a job IS A RIGHT. It's legally guaranteed. If you're an idiot and can't get hired that's on you, but you should not lose your shot just because someone doesn't like what you are. Employment and advancement opportunity should be based on normal things like merit, work ethic, and size of boobs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfONNfAjyrc

bulldog
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:28 PM
So in order to get a real shot at a job, people should have to create fraudulent identities just to deceive an employer? What you see as smart, I see as "grounds for termination when the employer finds out". http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--jD9J4x2Bmw/TV_driGZeUI/AAAAAAAAAZI/gHJwGk_7wPs/s1600/GET%2BOVER%2BIT.png

Oh yeah, and did they specify ALL FB accounts? If not then it is not lying, you gave them one, but they never asked for others :D

TFOGGuys
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:29 PM
What is at stake here is the right to have a life separate from your work. Employers are slowly but surely taking control of their employee's entire life, whether they are paying them for that "off" time or not. What happens when your employer decides that your riding of motorcycles, not during working hours, or even as transportation to or from work, reflects badly on the image of the company, and fires you for it? Or that because someone saw you drinking a beer after work that you are not "morally fit" to retain your employment? In Colorado, they can fire you for any of these reasons, or none at all.

In addition, most employers do not use adequate security measures to protect against loss of this type of data. I'm not planning on ever being in the position of applying for outside employment again (self employed for over 15 years), but I would NEVER hand over passwords that could facilitate identity theft to a prospective employer, even if they could prove to me that they had data security provisions in place.

Ghost
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:29 PM
Probably, but a bunch of grown men bitching about their FB account is funny to me.

Cool, sad thing is, with this economy there will be ten people behind you that would and get the job. :dunno: Hopefully your beliefs will not result in you and your family homeless...

Hell I'd use it to my advantage and have charity groups, slogans on hard working, lovely pictures of my beloved mom, dog/cat shelter rescue adotions, etc! Only idiots are effected by this if they can't see the easy way around it! :lol:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/429346_308572982539668_100001609052884_874817_5995 70564_n.jpg

Penadam
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:31 PM
If I owned a company, I wouldn't hire anyone who would willing provide their password. If they're willing to give away their own secrets, how could I trust them to protect the companies? Additionally, as Ralph mentioned, lying to an employer during the hiring process is grounds for termination.

mdub
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:32 PM
My Space is the way to go.

bulldog
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:33 PM
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/429346_308572982539668_100001609052884_874817_5995 70564_n.jpg
Exatly how I feel when I see your slogan under your name "Jenny's Pet Monkey" :D

P.S. Are people missing where I said I do not think it is fair either!!!!!

asp_125
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:50 PM
We GET that it's not fair. But lubing up and bending over for the corporation isn't the solution either.

rforsythe
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:56 PM
P.S. Are people missing where I said I do not think it is fair either!!!!!

Apparently we are, yes. You think it's unfair, but appropriate to do an end-run around anti-discrimination employment laws?

I don't see what life being fair has to do with this either. It isn't about that. It's about preventing the kind of rampant abuse that caused those laws to be made in the first place. Our country is pretty famous for fucking over different people, as it happens.

bulldog
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:59 PM
Well guys stop bitching about it on a forum then and do something productive about it then...not sure what else to say :dunno:

I've learned to take it from corporations most of my life since that is where I work and wish I could changed things, but I just bend over to keep my job. I could make a list pages long of how I don't like how corporations are run or how they treat their employees...including illegal things I see. I am not independently wealthy though, so my ass has been hurting for a long time :lol:

Here I will help! So far only 49 signatures on this petition. http://www.thepetitionsite.com/145/957/972/dont-let-employers-demand-facebook-passwords/#13334905677011&action=udata&udata=false

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 07:43 AM

Can't you 2 hispani-tinos just get along? Sheesh......:p :)

Oops! Thought that was Barn busting your ballz again for some reason. Not enough coffee. sorry. Carry on....

dhearkt
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 08:17 AM
personally ,, access to your fb should be granted to a company,, only after 90 days of hire, for review purposes .. you then have the job and hopefully nothing on your prelim record .. and you then have plenty of opportunity to build one that's suitable..
however .. you shouldn't have to ..
it is discrimination both for and against you.. like in the article ..

it references an individual in charge's personal judgement over what is wrong and right over someone else's ideas and value.. subsiding corporate standards used traditionally to hire an individual ..

essentially this claws at the companies overall global view and social position and it's affiliations ..

whether you directly choose to associate yourself with all of it's views or not is 99 percent irrelevant..
you want to surpass the economy by working,pay your past bills off
being wiling to provide a credit report.. also affects you financially..
anytime a credit report is pulled ,, affects your ability to acquire additional credit and loans ,, therefor a potential employer who does pull your credit report and does not hire you , has negatively affect your income potential , which without your direct permission, puts you in a lessened standard again over that someone who has had different or better opportunities in their life, (parents had money, and paid all that persons bills including college )
let me repeat ,, without your permission
if you do say no,, their own corporate policy dictates that you be removed to a different category of candidates,, this category is normally not reviewed further,, by it's definition.. candidates are determined to be uncooperative and therefor, not what the company is looking for

as soon we as potential employees will come up with an agreement,
dispensable to potential employers, that upon it's receipt,
will indemnify potential employers against causing potential employers to cause hazard by cause and completing the liability the employer by their actions accrued, during the course of their review or investigation, we will see a reversion to a more time honored hiring practice or more subversive methodology to the intrusion of privacy that we , by law are already recognized as having

bulldog
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Can't you 2 hispani-tinos just get along? Sheesh......:p :) WTF...Ralph is Hispanic...new news to me :o

Hmmmm...still only 49 signatures on that petition. Safe to say we all like to bitch more than take action :dunno:

dhearkt
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 08:31 AM
signing that petition , provides personal information and signs u up for news letter crap... just saying ,, get your spam folder ready

dhearkt
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 08:37 AM
http://www.tecca.com/news/2012/03/28/house-rejects-legislation-that-would-protect-your-facebook-password-from-employers/

bulldog
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 08:37 AM
signing that petition , provides personal information and signs u up for news letter crap... just saying ,, get your spam folder ready Maybe, it did say "Your email and postal address will remain private (http://www.care2.com/help/general/tos.html)", but who knows. I just did a 10 seconds search for that, so take it for what it is worth....

Some others though http://act.boldprogressives.org/survey/survey_Blumenthal_Facebook_SOPA/?source=reddit

Damn this one closed but looks like they got over 101,000 signatures http://www.change.org/petitions/monstercom-ban-job-listings-that-discriminate-against-the-unemployed

dhearkt
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 08:46 AM
from colorado -

http://www.tecca.com/news/2012/03/28/house-rejects-legislation-that-would-protect-your-facebook-password-from-employers/

dhearkt
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Maybe, it did say "Your email and postal address will remain private (http://www.care2.com/help/general/tos.html)", but who knows. I just did a 10 seconds search for that, so take it for what it is worth....

Some others though http://act.boldprogressives.org/survey/survey_Blumenthal_Facebook_SOPA/?source=reddit

Damn this one closed but looks like they got over 101,000 signatures http://www.change.org/petitions/monstercom-ban-job-listings-that-discriminate-against-the-unemployed

maybe it did,, maybe i missed it .. but with this issue .. for how long??

Ghosty
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 09:09 AM
from colorado -

Republicans shoot down Dem proposal to ban FB boss-snoop:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/28/facebook_employer_passwords_amendment/

Thanks so much Republicans, bravo! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/SpectralCat/Emoticons/facepalm.gif

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 11:12 AM

Thanks so much Republicans, bravo! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/SpectralCat/Emoticons/facepalm.gif
Hmmm. But, that isn't the whole picture by far. What, exactly, did the bill say? was this just added on to a bill that really sucked? Without that, we don't know if this was a good thing or not.

Aphrodite
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 12:02 PM
I don't put things on there I wouldn't have my mom see so I don't care if an employer looks at it. It is wrong for them to even think they can ask for a password though. And I think it would be a waste of their time to even look at my Facebook. I don't play hookie, I don't fear big brother, but taking my rights via big brother I find very disturbing.

Dont tread on me. How easily with technology we forget.

mastap07
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 03:20 PM
and people wonder why i dont have facespace... i think its quite simple :)

Ghost
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 03:25 PM
and people wonder why i dont have facespace... i think its quite simple :)

But, again, that's not addressing the issue--the Right to Privacy is at stake whether you (personally) use FB or not.

FB might be the latest example, but it's not the only target in this growing trend of invasion of privacy.

Titus
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 10:21 PM

The 10th Amendment to the Constitution states:
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

This is not within the powers of the Federal Government to enact this, it is to be left to the states.

I think this is a great idea and colorado and other states should absolutely pass this as a law, but it's the states right, not the fed's.

salsashark
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 07:02 AM

Didn't you beat this drum last week (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45157&page=2)?

So the idiots on the rights struck off an amendment on a bill that the idiots on the left (including the one at the top) had already promised to kill... so what?!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-xbv1PK_doHI/TQAGb8y9_yI/AAAAAAAAL_8/5nGIXNGs92g/s96/mrbeanfaces.gif

bulldog
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Something to think about: Jobs have been able to drug test for years , so this is one example of them invading our privacy long ago. There are many responsibile people who smoke marijuana in the privacy of their homes (many with legal prescription cards) and would never go to work high, but they get banned from jobs for something that has nothing to do with work perfomance. Yet the alcoholic that comes into work every morning smelling like he partied all night is ok or the guy that snorts coke that gets out of their system in hours is ok too because a drug test won't catch that.

Penadam
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Marijuana is still illegal under federal law, having a facebook isn't. Also, the only reason that most company drug tests don't detect things like coke is because they're too cheap to pay for a hair test.

I agree that as long as it doesn't affect your work performance, they really shouldn't be concerned, but I feel there's a better case here as they are testing for something illegal.

modette99
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 11:24 AM
It's not about FB, it be like a potential employer asking for my VISA account information so they can log in and see what I spend my money on. Actually that might mean more to them then FB, I don't post much on Facebook...LOL

Only people on my Facebook are FRIENDS, people I actually KNOW, and relatives. I have a lot of High School classmates but no one post anything stupid. Actually a pretty quit group. I have denied relatives I don't really know (those that are so removed I have never meet them but they feel they need to ADD me as a friend, denied)....LOL

My profile picture is of me, but I am geared up and on the bike...no one would know its me otherwise. If a company asked me, I just say yeah I have a FB page, but its pretty boring and I'm not into the whole thing, occasionally I post a picture like the view from our house or a trip photo to share with relatives...but as an active user no I am not. As for handing you the password, F off. Why not just ask for my VISA password you asshat!!!

I think they are testing the waters, if they can get people to give them that password what stops them from having it so you need to give them access to a whole host of OTHER sites you might be on. Should I hand them a front door key too???

modette99
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Something to think about: Jobs have been able to drug test for years , so this is one example of them invading our privacy long ago. There are many responsibile people who smoke marijuana in the privacy of their homes (many with legal prescription cards) and would never go to work high, but they get banned from jobs for something that has nothing to do with work perfomance. Yet the alcoholic that comes into work every morning smelling like he partied all night is ok or the guy that snorts coke that gets out of their system in hours is ok too because a drug test won't catch that.

You are right alcoholics are seen differently where companies will send you to get HELP a lot of the times. But weed or other drugs your seen as some evil guy with no problem or addiction. It is a stupid standard.

#1Townie
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Fuck republicans. Fuck democrats. Both have fucked up our country.

Ghosty
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 11:58 AM
So the idiots on the rights struck off an amendment on a bill that the idiots on the left (including the one at the top) had already promised to kill... so what?!
No biggie don't get all offended. I posted a link to an article DIRECTLY RELATED to the topic of this thread. In fact, I don't think you can get any more directly related, lol. I would've posted the same exact thing if the parties were reversed, and would've chastised the Dems for striking it down, if that was the case.

Thanks Titus, that's good info for the ongoing debate about Fed vs. States rights. One of the core differences leading up to the Civil War actually.

salsashark
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 12:01 PM
No biggie don't get all offended. I posted a link to an article DIRECTLY RELATED to the topic of this thread. In fact, I don't think you can get any more directly related, lol. I would've posted the same exact thing if the parties were reversed, and would've chastised the Dems for striking it down, if that was the case.

not offended at all... In fact, I started typing my same response but went and looked it up instead. Didn't want to rehash it.

Titus
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks Titus, that's good info for the ongoing debate about Fed vs. States rights. One of the core differences leading up to the Civil War actually.

Indeed, that topic could probably take up a whole forum, much less its own thread.

Aphrodite
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 01:22 PM
It's not about FB, it be like a potential employer asking for my VISA account information so they can log in and see what I spend my money on.

They do this already via checking your credit report.

rforsythe
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 01:36 PM

Sort of. Credit reports will tell them about big purchases you've financed, or lines of credit you have (like the presence of a Visa card). It won't tell them all the things you spend money on however, and for many people that is something they might not want their employer seeing.

modette99
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 02:06 PM

But that doe snot list all the charges...not the same as asking for your password and logging into your account.

modette99
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Sort of. Credit reports will tell them about big purchases you've financed, or lines of credit you have (like the presence of a Visa card). It won't tell them all the things you spend money on however, and for many people that is something they might not want their employer seeing.

Knew I should of read down...right on...thank you for being on the same page as me.

Credit Report shows for an example:
$20,000 VISA Credit line from such and such bank
It will tell them if you pay on time, or carry a balance
Will show minimum payment, and the last payment I made
*They have no idea I bought 2 girls one cup, or a new TV or that I might blow $5K a year at the casino. Anything run through the card they have NO CLUE.

$15,000 Loan on my Jeep GC for example
Will show paid on time and outstanding balance
Will also show minimum payment

Might show a mortgage but that is not in my name so does not apply to me.

Credit report also shows your past history. For example I was with such and such bank, and paid it off and closed it in good standing and moved to such and such.

Shows I been in good credit since 1984 (somewhere somehow they tied me to my parents...LOL Makes for a good laugh. I've tried to get this corrected and its next to impossible.

That is all a credit report shows.

Ghost
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Next Up:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3TAOYXT840

mathman1000
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Nothing is private when it might something to do with child molestation.

Aphrodite
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 10:10 PM
But that doe snot list all the charges...not the same as asking for your password and logging into your account.

True on that but, to me, none of the potential employers business if I owe 15k$ or 5$ or to whom I would owe this. Truth be know they got enough information to ask the rest of the details if they wanted to call.

Shoot remember when someone asked for your social security number they had to provide a disclosure statement with it to even get it.

rforsythe
Fri Apr 6th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Nothing is private when it might something to do with child molestation.

I've been giving that response some thought. While I fully agree that any child molesation charges should be taken with the utmost of seriousness, an accused person still has the right to due process and presumption of innocence. If it's just prying into someone's past to see if they might one day molest a kid, that's going too far.

In this case (the point of this thread, if you RTFA) it didn't have anything to do with kids at all, it was about a picture posted on this person's private page of another adult that a parent didn't like. She refused to grant her school district access, and they responded partly with this: "... in the absence of you voluntarily granting Lewis Cass ISD administration access to you[r] Facebook page, we will assume the worst and act accordingly." In other words, the district fired her based on an accusation alone with no proof, because the aide refused to incriminate herself. I'd sue the district if I were her too.

True on that but, to me, none of the potential employers business if I owe 15k$ or 5$ or to whom I would owe this. Truth be know they got enough information to ask the rest of the details if they wanted to call.

Shoot remember when someone asked for your social security number they had to provide a disclosure statement with it to even get it.

Yes and no, it largely depends on what you do. Credit scores are actually a predictor of ethical behavior to some managers, i.e. if you have a ton of debt and never pay it back you might be more predisposed to stealing from the company to cover your obligations. Also if you in any way deal with financial data, money, or (in my case) systems that move said data even if you don't have access to the data itself, you will be subject to a credit check to make sure you're not about to do something dumb. What your credit obligations are isn't nearly as relevant as whether you are paying back the ones you have.

asp_125
Fri Apr 6th, 2012, 09:58 AM
The next thing you know, they will be knocking on your door and taking you away at night, for pre-crimes. ;)

Aphrodite
Fri Apr 6th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Yes and no, it largely depends on what you do. Credit scores are actually a predictor of ethical behavior to some managers, i.e. if you have a ton of debt and never pay it back you might be more predisposed to stealing from the company to cover your obligations. Also if you in any way deal with financial data, money, or (in my case) systems that move said data even if you don't have access to the data itself, you will be subject to a credit check to make sure you're not about to do something dumb. What your credit obligations are isn't nearly as relevant as whether you are paying back the ones you have.

yeah what the intention are/were, but like everyone has access to it now to run a credit check used to be legit creditors, I personally think it is abused now days. Money or not I been asked for my credit report for jobs completely unrelated. As far as theft it is well know that these days alot of good people have bad credit especially looking for a job were as if I had a job I wouldn't have bad credit.

As far as teachers and dealings with kids that is were the criminal background checks come into play for anyone. I sorry but my credit and whom I owe I dont agree that it is open book to employers to check. The statistic I saw 10 years ago dealing with credit v/s employment v/s insurances all looks blown out of proportion to me. If you got a criminal background in rape it is established you might hurt someone in that manner thus I think is bad thing to be with my kids as a teacher.

And yes, I think the day is coming might be 100 years, but I see it coming, people jailed over pre-crime. Assumptions of whom you are are already in play.

Ghost
Fri Apr 6th, 2012, 11:48 AM
The next thing you know, they will be knocking on your door and taking you away at night, for pre-crimes. ;)

Or at least Thought-crimes.

Ghosty
Fri Aug 10th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Virginia deputy fired for <Like>'ing the sheriff's opponent's FB page, wow...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/10/tech/social-media/deputy-fired-facebook-like/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

The laws of this land haven't caught up to the technology yet. More reason to keep your personal and work "online life" SEPARATE. ;)