PDA

View Full Version : I need help with a $600 Decision

Cornfed
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 08:33 PM
I cant decide whether to do Pridmore at HPR which will be $600
or go to Miller for the AMA/WSB event which will cost me, hmmmm prolly bout $600
or to buy a PCV with Autotune which runs about $600.

I can only afford to do one. Whatch ya think, what would you do?:dunno:

madvlad
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 08:34 PM
Track dude, I'm sure a used PCIII or V will come up at a good price at some point

tecknojoe
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 08:47 PM
Have you ever gone to a pro event? If no, GO. The level of riding is fucking incredible

asp_125
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 08:50 PM
Pridmore will make you a better rider, to take advantage of that PCIII or V later.

spideyrdr
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 08:50 PM
Track time! I am biased since I just signed up for the school today though. :)

If you find yourself coming out to the race school, hit me up. It's always good to meet another Iowa transplant, even if you're a cow molesting Hawkeye fan.

Cornfed
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 08:54 PM
Track dude, I'm sure a used PCIII or V will come up at a good price at some point

I did Pridmore's Star School several years ago and it was awesome. I was racing at the time and convinced that I was a podium away from being a factory racer. :jerkoff:
The PCIII is like an IPhone 1 is to the IPhone4, severely outdated in comparison to the PCV. And although I agree and have been looking hard for a V I havent been able to find a used one yet.

Have you ever gone to a pro event? If no, GO. The level of riding is fucking incredible

Been to Road America and Brainerd. And yes it is fucking incridible.

BTW, I will be playing devil's advocate through out this thread. Thats just how I make decisions.

Cornfed
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 08:58 PM
It's always good to meet another Iowa transplant, even if you're a cow molesting Hawkeye fan.

Thats gods country, even if it does have its own smell.

Bueller
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 09:11 PM
A 12 punch 1/2 day lapping card and sell 4 of the punches and you'll be @ the $600 mark.

AOK303
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 09:57 PM
id spend it all on jelly beans

Sean
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:03 PM
What is your ultimate goal at this point in your life?

1. Do you want to be a faster rider?
2. Do you want to have memories/photos/experiences to remember forever?
3. D you want to make your bike faster?

Cornfed
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:09 PM
What is your ultimate goal at this point in your life?

1. Do you want to be a faster rider?
2. Do you want to have memories/photos/experiences to remember forever?
3. D you want to make your bike faster?

1. Yes, although my dreams of being AMA, Wera, or even MRA "fast" are fleeing.
2. Yes, um, thats all, just yes.
3. Yes, and bike currently throws a fireball out of the tailpipe when downshifting. Running a tad bit rich I'd say.
3.5 Nothing makes a bike faster than a skilled rider, i.e. Pridmore at HPR.

There in lies my dilemma.

Ghost
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:23 PM
Just give me the $600, I'll do one of those things and then report back to you.

This spares you the burden of choosing the wrong thing--which you've got at least a 66% chance of doing.

Repsol a095
Mon Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:57 PM
Buy a mini!

sag
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 12:14 AM
600 to go to miller for wsbk? that much? cost me a grand to see motogp in japan last october.

Drano
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 01:32 AM
I went to Miller last year and it was an awesome experience. I'm planning on going again this year. Hopefully it's a little warmer too. Definitely worth it if you haven't been there.

Cornfed
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:15 AM
600 to go to miller for wsbk? that much? cost me a grand to see motogp in japan last october.

It probably wont cost $600 but thats my motorcycle budget and if I spend $300 that still means I cant do Pridmore and cant get a PCV. Unless I do one day of Pridmore, and/or find a smokin deal on a PCV on EBay..... This is why I needed your guys' help. Decisions, decisions.

oh10raven
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 07:24 AM
I say either...

A. Do the Pridmore school at HPR

OR

B. Have your ECU flashed for your mods by flash-tune ($150 and you don't need to run a PC or any other fuel module) forget about auto-tune for now and go to WSB at Miller.

spideyrdr
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 08:07 AM
BTW, I will be playing devil's advocate through out this thread. Thats just how I make decisions.

Allow ME to play Devil's Advocate for a moment.

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr359hAreH1qz4yoao1_500.png

Now that THAT is done, at the end of the year would you rather look back and say you DID, you SAW, or you BOUGHT?

jbnwc
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:16 PM
I don't think the Pridmore school is worth $600. Even if that was the final decision, I wouldn't pay that much. The two-up ride is the only thing that sets apart the Pridmore days and that in itself is valuable, but not $600 worth. Half of the class time is just him story-telling about the glory days. I learned more from Mike Schweitzer when he was running an unofficial school as part of Supertune than I did with Pridmore. Maybe you'd be better off spending $200 at a Chicane track day and finding a way to get to Miller for $400?? Or... work a little harder and come up with the extra cash??

asp_125
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:24 PM
Or take a one-on-one track clinic with guys like Turpin or Shellinger or Orlando, and still have some scratch towards Miller or a PCV.

Penadam
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:27 PM
http://www.crochetconcupiscence.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/hookers.jpg
&
http://signsofcocaineuse.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/cocaine.jpg

crypto0793
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:31 PM
&
:bow:

UglyDogRacing
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:08 PM
Take the MRA race school this weekend for $200 and still have plenty of $$$ leftover - http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45037

vort3xr6
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 03:16 PM
Buy a mini!

+1. Most fun you will get on 2 wheels

Cornfed
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 07:28 PM
&

Well, I definitely like coke and whores.

mdub
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 07:40 PM
Well, I definitely like coke and whores.

:lol: .....we all do...

Cornfed
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 07:40 PM
Or take a one-on-one track clinic with guys like Turpin or Shellinger or Orlando, and still have some scratch towards Miller or a PCV.

I think this may be the best idea. Track time with local fast guys as tutors/mentors. I plan on trying to squeeze in one track day a month this summer and although I dont know Shellinger, Turpin and Orlando are names I am familiar with.
AND an autotune. Bike runs good and the fireball it throws out of the dual Yoshi is pretty cool, but I know there is alot more hp on tap if the mapping was sorted out, especially at 7K,8K,9K+ feet. And That makes more sense than springing for Pridmore. Thanks for the advice.

Course then again, coke and whores sounds like alot of fun. :devil2:

UglyDogRacing
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 09:30 PM
Schellinger is teaching with the Yamaha school and is rarely in town. Turpin won't be racing here this year and most likely will not be available for private instruction....plus he broke his back two weeks ago. Orlando will do private instruction once his broken bones mend from his get-off at the motocross track two weeks ago.

Cornfed
Tue Apr 3rd, 2012, 09:37 PM
Schellinger is teaching with the Yamaha school and is rarely in town. Turpin won't be racing here this year and most likely will not be available for private instruction....plus he broke his back two weeks ago. Orlando will do private instruction once his broken bones mend from his get-off at the motocross track two weeks ago.

LOL! Sounds like its been a tough winter.

I hear there is a Wilson, Jim Wilson I believe is his name, that is suppose to be a hell of good rider. I wonder if he would consider doing any track coaching this summer?

sloridr
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Chad for $199.95 I'll give you private track mark lessons.... Sorry couldnt help myself. Personally a track day amd cheap PCV down the road is the way to go.

Penadam
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 08:44 AM
For $60 I'll give you private lessons in the proper use of hookers and blow.

asp_125
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 09:03 AM

Ow! Not good! Rough off-season. Hope they heal up quick.

UglyDogRacing
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 09:12 AM
I hear there is a Wilson, Jim Wilson I believe is his name, that is suppose to be a hell of good rider. I wonder if he would consider doing any track coaching this summer?

He doesn't have the impressive resume like the others but he's probably willing to help his fellow riders.

Slo
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 10:43 AM
As good of an experience as it is to go watch a pro event. I would say do the track time first. Get some consistency and valuable skills.... Later on, go to a pro event, you will appreciate it even more so.

Having ridden all over the country, I thought I knew what all the magazine articles were describing...kind of just made up my own interpretation. I also watched most races, but once I started going to the track, there was a newfound appreciation for what they accomplish and go through. I also ready magazine articles on bikes very differently than before.

Ghost
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Ty Piz might be able to teach, he did a day with Matt & I last year. He's on a different wavelength than most but don't let that stop you.

Cornfed
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Primary reason for this thread has been achieved. I am not going to buy jelly beans, I may dabble in a bit of coke and whores, but mostly I am going to buy the PCV + Autotune. Although it does, "Autotune", I would like to do a before and after dyno pull to see how well it works, any suggestions for COMPETENT dyno tune shops, and expected price ranges.

Thanks to all the good advice I have discovered something else with this thread. My concern with not doing Pridmore was that it was that or nothing. It sounds like there are some great track coaches locally that I could still work with this summer. Prices for their time range from $650 for a day of one on one coaching to, "sure Ill help, see ya out there." I'm hoping that the more expensive the time the more valuable the lesson. Im starting a list of track coaches and prices. Maybe split a high dollar coach for the day with someone(s)?

New thread? http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45450