PDA

View Full Version : Ft.Collins court refuses change as payment

Ghosty
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 10:51 AM
http://www.9news.com/news/local/article/260797/346/Fort-Collins-rejects-coins-as-payment-for-ticket

1.) How is this legal? It's freakin' LEGAL U.S. CURRENCY, CASH. I could understand not accepting personal checks or credit cards, that's different, but U.S. CASH? Douchebags. Or if the dude just dumped a huge can of pennies that he didn't even know the total of.

2.) Why would Chase take days to count change? Both my banks have automatic coin-counting machines that do it automatically, and it's free if you belong to that bank. You don't need to pay the fee like at that grocery-store "CoinStar" machine.

laspariahs
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Anyone paying their ticket with coins is a douche bag anyways, the people behind the counter don't need to be punished because this guy was breaking the law. Even if you think it's hilarious to pay in coinage, you aren't punishing the cop, you're just punishing some worker who just wants to go home at the end of the day.

Zach929rr
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Anyone paying their ticket with coins is a douche bag anyways, the people behind the counter don't need to be punished because this guy was breaking the law. Even if you think it's hilarious to pay in coinage, you aren't punishing the cop, you're just punishing some worker who just wants to go home at the end of the day.

Likewise, your opinion doesn't matter because it is legal tender that may be used to pay for anything, anywhere in the U.S.

WolFeYeZ
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Most chase branches don't have coin counters. Back when trying to buy Jess's bike we ran into this problem and had to go to first bank instead.

As for not taking it, that is damn lame.

"It's not prudent use of taxpayer funds to have one of the clerks sit there counting quarters, nickels and pennies," Really? Too busy just sitting there bringing in non tax revenue...

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 11:16 AM
In SoCal over 20 years ago I paid my DUI fine and the costs for the stupid classes in $50 boxes of pennies. The court didn't like it, but accepted them. The class told me they had to take them, but that they'd fail me for paying the that way because they'd say something like they didn't feel like I was taking the class seriously even if I did everything else. A-holes......

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Likewise, your opinion doesn't matter because it is legal tender that may be used to pay for anything, anywhere in the U.S.
Exactly. Legal tender.

Ghost
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Yet another move towards the "cashless" society.

TFOGGuys
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 11:56 AM
It could be argued that the court abrogated the fine based on refusing the payment...

Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

#1Townie
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Hmmm. I don't think they can. According to federal law any service that has already been provided has to take cash. I would assume a ticket would qualify as service already provided. But then again im not a lawyer.

Ted
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 11:59 AM

I can't believe i just read that !! Seriously .

I'll assume you are just joking !!!!

Ezzzzy1
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 12:01 PM
America.... The land of money that cost more to make than the money is worth. :lol:

I have paid a few bets (say $100) in pennies and the intention there was to be a dick. Im sure this guys intention was the same but the court has no grounds to refuse payment of USD.

~Barn~
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 12:07 PM
It could be argued that the court abrogated the fine based on refusing the payment...

Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."
I like this!

Jmetz
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 12:08 PM
I've heard of people doing things like this.

Ghost
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 12:09 PM
As pointed out, I don't see how a court can refuse to accept legal tender--even if it's in coins. They may not like it, but that doesn't mean they can prohibit it.

Someone should make a national stink about this just for the hell of it.

Aphrodite
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 12:10 PM
All true and valid argument but I wont be this guy standing there holding a bucket of coin arguing, I will pay it and move on. being a marter is not one of my top ten goals in life.

JonnyD
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I think this is pretty clearly a sign of dbag trying to screw with the system that screwed him. Says in the article he had a bank count the coins. According to something I found on the internet, Chase offers free counting of coins:
http://www.wisebread.com/best-ways-to-count-and-cash-in-your-change
(Couldn't find it on Chase's site, but found on MSN as well that chase does free counting)

It is unreasonable to have someone count that amount of change in a normal day as no business owner prepares for this either. I don't know if it's law or not, but I'm sure they would have taken the change had it been in rolls and easily countable. I've had to do this to use coins at places, and that is reasonable to me. I'm sure if this does go to court (again) that they could argue that they don't have the staff (nor should anyone) on hand to account for someone paying over X amount of money in loose change.

His fault for not rolling it up, or changing it for cash, or figuring out he had a ticket to pay before his court date.

Ghosty
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I agree under normal circumstances or if an idiot was trying to seek revenge this way. But if you read the story, that's not his case. I guess he's so damn broke he can't even afford the CoinStar fee? That's pretty damn sad actually, geeze.

"starving student syndrome", I guess.

dirkterrell
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 12:38 PM
This is nothing new. Courts have ruled that merchants and government entities can refuse payments that cause undue burden (i.e. the absurdity doctrine). See State v. Carroll in Ohio in 1997, for example.

mxer
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 05:38 PM
I agree under normal circumstances or if an idiot was trying to seek revenge this way. But if you read the story, that's not his case. I guess he's so damn broke he can't even afford the CoinStar fee? That's pretty damn sad actually, geeze.

"starving student syndrome", I guess.

You know he's trying to be a dick.

In fact a quick check of his facebook reveals him eating out and going on vacation and going to a Blackhawks game. Yet the poor guy can't even roll his own coins to purposely waste peoples time.

Would you like to be stuck waiting in line to pay for something all because he brought in all the change he could find?

mdub
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 05:40 PM
thanks for the heads-up...i'll keep my nose clean next time / or when i ever go back up thur..

#1Townie
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 05:58 PM
That's lame. If I tow a car that's parked illegally and they bring me 200I bucks in pennies I have to accept it. Fucking government is always exempt from the law. Fucking garbage.

Cars-R-Coffins
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 07:58 PM
This is nothing new. Courts have ruled that merchants and government entities can refuse payments that cause undue burden (i.e. the absurdity doctrine). See State v. Carroll in Ohio in 1997, for example.

The law-breaker is being a DH.

Ghosty
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 09:19 AM
You know he's trying to be a dick.

In fact a quick check of his facebook reveals him eating out and going on vacation and going to a Blackhawks game. Yet the poor guy can't even roll his own coins to purposely waste peoples time.

Would you like to be stuck waiting in line to pay for something all because he brought in all the change he could find?
@dirkterrell & mxer: Ahhh, in that case tell him to go fuck himself for wasting my time, lol. I haven't really followed up on this.

modette99
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 11:07 AM
I remember reading cases where Judges have ruled it legal to pay in say 'pennies' but it is also legal and reasonable for a place of business to charge an extra handling fee to accommodate the extra work load in someone paying in all coinage.