PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Race/Track Day Coaches/Schools

Cornfed
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 01:46 PM
This is a continuation of another thread. http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45420

I was strongly contemplating doing the Star School with Jason Pridmore this summer but have chose against it. However I plan on being on the track at least once a month and maybe doing some super street with MRA. Can any one recommend someone, or yourself, for one on one racer/track day training? And prices?

Ill start.
1. Scott Jensen $500 a day.
2. Ricky Orlando $?
3. Rybo $?
4. Jim Wilson $?

asp_125
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 01:56 PM
I know Jimmy will chime in and say Superstreet. It's basically what you will learn at a track school with the added dimension of a "race" at the end. All for what, $100?

Myself, I've done a 1/2 day with Schellinger and a couple of Chicane days with coaching from MRA regulars (including Ty Piz). Both experiences were positive contributions to my riding.

BTW Ricky O is $295 for his track program.

sloridr
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Met a salesman at fey meyer today that is a track coach. Did not catch his name though. Tall red/blonde hair fella

Ghost
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Not sure what Ty Piz charges, but could probably find out if really interested.

rforsythe
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I did a private session with Mark Schellinger and definitely came away a better rider. I believe Rybo is planning on doing some coaching this year as well, don't know what his pricing or structure will be but I'm sure it's good.

Ninja2
Wed Apr 4th, 2012, 09:04 PM
I haven't done any private sessions, but have had three different instructors at Chicane and then I did STAR last year.
My experience: You will pick up something different from each instructor. It also depends on what type of student you are and how you learn. For example, I am a visual learner. To me, it was extremely helpful having the classroom time at STAR because Jason used the whitebard to explain things. When someone just tells me the same info without drawing it, I probably don't get half off what was said.

Regardless whom you decide to go with - congrats! You chose to spend the $600 wisely :-)

jbnwc
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Of the four you have listed their, I've had instruction with Rybo and Ricky Orlando and was very happy with both. Also, I've been happy with the tidbits of instruction I've received from ride coaches every time I've done Superstreet. You don't get everything you need to learn in one day not matter what you do.

Cornfed
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Of the four you have listed their, I've had instruction with Rybo and Ricky Orlando and was very happy with both. Also, I've been happy with the tidbits of instruction I've received from ride coaches every time I've done Superstreet. You don't get everything you need to learn in one day not matter what you do.

Agreed.
Good input from everyone. Thanks.

rybo
Thu Apr 5th, 2012, 11:48 PM
First of all, thank you for the compliments - there are some great instructors on this list and I'm honored to be amongst them.

I'm changing Chicane this year to be a more instructional program and am working out pricing and curriculum as I write this.

Please get in touch with me directly if you're interested in doing something really soon, as I'm not sure that I'll have everything sorted with the program really soon. Pricing will be reasonable, instruction will be solid and fact based and will include video. (these are the things I know for sure).

Thanks again

Scott

Cornfed
Fri Apr 6th, 2012, 05:33 AM

Please get in touch with me directly if you're interested in doing something really soon, as I'm not sure that I'll have everything sorted with the program really soon. Pricing will be reasonable, instruction will be solid and fact based and will include video. (these are the things I know for sure).

Scott

Nothing specific planned yet. I will be at HPR on April 15th and will be introducing Grim to his first big track day.
Im thinking potential May 7th, during a lapping day, for some one on one instruction. My goal is to be on the track once a month. I will definitely contact you as soon as Im sure of my schedule.
Shaping up to be a great summer. Less LEO, more track time!

asp_125
Fri Apr 6th, 2012, 09:44 AM
...I'm changing Chicane this year to be a more instructional program and am working out pricing and curriculum as I write this.

Mouse hovering over the "add to cart" button. :D

Sean
Fri Apr 6th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Thanks again

Scott

This.

/thread

Ghost
Fri Apr 6th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I will be at HPR on April 15th and will be introducing Grim to his first big track day.

Holy shit, Grim is doing a track day?!?

That's almost worth me going just to watch.

Bueller
Fri Apr 6th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Holy shit, Grim is doing a track day?!?

That's almost worth me going just to watch.
If he doesn't total his bike doing wheelies
:p

Ghost
Fri Apr 6th, 2012, 01:41 PM
If he doesn't total his bike doing wheelies
:p

Very true.

Grant_Me_Revenge
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 07:41 PM
There are some amazing coaches on this list - what a great opportunity! What track are you thinking about?
When it comes to personal experience (from this list) Jim Wilson was my coach and he was amazing – I was able to gain so much feedback and just had such a huge smile the whole way through…it was great times.

Good luck / have fun.

r6rammy
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 08:13 PM
would it be better to learn the track first, get some seat time and then take on coaching or learn the track with the coach?

I'm not new to track riding, but of late my confidence is shot with a new bike that being same model and year as last one, behaved completely differently on track. I've since tuned suspension to my liking, will also be installing a few upgraded suspension parts.

UglyDogRacing
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 08:54 PM
would it be better to learn the track first, get some seat time and then take on coaching or learn the track with the coach?

I'm not new to track riding, but of late my confidence is shot with a new bike that being same model and year as last one, behaved completely differently on track. I've since tuned suspension to my liking, will also be installing a few upgraded suspension parts.

You can always benefit from good coaching, especially when learning a new track. Learning the correct lines to start will be easier than having to change bad habits afterwards.

grim
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 09:21 PM
The bike is in the back of Chads truck (didn't crash it doing wheelies) we are heading to IMI tomorrow so i can learn the basics and get a feel for "a track" I understand IMI is nothing like HPR. I will be at HPR on Saturday and we shall see what I can do.

UglyDogRacing
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 09:32 PM
I will be at HPR on Saturday and we shall see what I can do.

What do you plan on doing on Saturday at HPR? It's a car day.

grim
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 09:38 PM
What do you plan on doing on Saturday at HPR? It's a car day.

Saturday is french for Sunday.

Ghost
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 09:46 PM
The bike is in the back of Chads truck (didn't crash it doing wheelies) we are heading to IMI tomorrow so i can learn the basics and get a feel for "a track" I understand IMI is nothing like HPR. I will be at HPR on Saturday and we shall see what I can do.

Have fun man! I'd swing out if I could, but probably not happening.

Cornfed
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 09:58 PM

LMAO! Dumbass.
Lets hope the weather is good Sunday.

Samko
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 10:45 PM
sunday snow

sag
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 10:56 PM
:(

UglyDogRacing
Wed Apr 11th, 2012, 09:21 AM
When it comes to personal experience (from this list) Jim Wilson was my coach and he was amazing – I was able to gain so much feedback and just had such a huge smile the whole way through…it was great times.

Good luck / have fun.

Thanks for the kind words, Sasha. It was a pleasure working with you during that season and watching you progress the way that you did.

Fumet5uNo
Wed Apr 11th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Sunday is rain and snow. lets put on the rain tires and go for it

dirkterrell
Wed Apr 11th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I had very positive sessions with Mark Schellinger (one-on-one), Mike Applehans (MRA race school) and the Jason Pridmore STAR school.

The best approach to getting faster at the track for me was to get the suspension of the bike sorted out (Dave Rose), learn from the guys listed above, and go out and practice/race. I saw significant decreases in lap times after working with all of those guys.

Fumet5uNo
Wed Apr 11th, 2012, 10:59 AM
I had very positive sessions with Mark Schellinger (one-on-one), Mike Applehans (MRA race school) and the Jason Pridmore STAR school.

The best approach to getting faster at the track for me was to get the suspension of the bike sorted out (Dave Rose), learn from the guys listed above, and go out and practice/race. I saw significant decreases in lap times after working with all of those guys.

+ shellinger is a good guy

Slo
Wed Apr 11th, 2012, 01:05 PM
All the names listed are very "established" riders.... Good thing about it is they also definitely know how to coach/instruct.

There are other great riders out there, but not all have the skill of relaying that info to different personalities.

On another note, good to see you guys taking that next step!!!

jrthomas6
Wed Apr 11th, 2012, 01:23 PM
You can't go wrong with any of them. I've had one-on-one instruction with Mark, and worked quite a bit with Rybo. Rybo had me out in the rain for my very first session on the track in Utah! One of the first things any of them will probably have you do is learn the lines of the track at a slow pace. They're all amazingly fast riders, and they're very good at instructing! Not all the fast guys can teach. Good luck!

Slo
Wed Apr 11th, 2012, 01:34 PM
I will say at IMI, if you can get Dirk or Bueller out there, they can be great help as well.

dollylala
Tue Apr 17th, 2012, 01:11 PM
I'm new to this forum and just wanted to put my 2 cents in. I have some friends that are going to Jason Pridmore's motorcycle school on May 14 & 15. They've been before and said he runs a great school to learn from. I'm thinking about going myself and check it out.