PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma

zrouth
Fri Apr 6th, 2012, 03:01 AM
So as some of you may know I just bought an 06 GSXR1000. I've ridden supersports in college and the first time I got on a literbike I wanted one. Now I have one I feel it may be too much bike for me. I can ride it fast and competently at 70% but I like being able to push my limits. The street is no place to ride at 100% so I'd like to start riding on the track and maybe even compete in the MRA next year if it's too late to do this year (do they have late entry?). I'm sure I'll be able to ride the literbike on the track but just won't be able to hone my skills on such a machine. Who learns to drive stick in a ferrari? So the question is should I keep this or trade for a new 600?

AOK303
Fri Apr 6th, 2012, 03:37 AM
You will never be ball's out on your 1k on the street i agree with you there, i have yet to even get to the Max speed on mine, i only tried once and i think im good, I only got my 1k for i couldnt get a 750 at the time and it was a screaming deal 100 difference to a 600 i looked at. there about to start open track days, They just started to Post about them, i was very cautious for the first 2 months on the 1k, but i enjoy the extra power when on the highway not having to downshift for dumb cages.

would you do a 750

zrouth
Fri Apr 6th, 2012, 05:51 AM
I mean don't get me wrong, I fucking love my gsxr1k. It's the baddest bike I've ever ridden (but then again I've never ridden a Ducati 1198s). 100mph in first gear is just stupid fast and I agree, I love the extra horsepower that's there when you need it. The only reason i would consider trading is so I could race a 600 on the track and really find out what my limits are. so no thanks on the 750. appreciate the offer though.

zrouth
Fri Apr 6th, 2012, 05:53 AM
So whats the deal with trackdays. Where can I find out what I have to do to my bike to ride on track days? And are there special trackdays or can you just showup and ride on most days of the week?

rforsythe
Fri Apr 6th, 2012, 06:54 AM
The "show up and ride all week" thing doesn't exist anymore, however High Plains does have regular motorcycle lapping days. Go to www.highplainsraceway.com (http://www.highplainsraceway.com) to get more details on that. There is actually one tomorrow combined with the MRA school if you wanted to learn more about it. The MRA school is still accepting signups as well if you wanted to get a race license, you would just need to find leathers and do some other minimal bike prep before tomorrow, and attend a classroom session tonight. You can get details on the school here: http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=12289

Another alternative is something called Superstreet, a relatively new MRA thing where you get a day of instruction and get to do a real race at the end, on the same weekend as our normal racing events. You do it with your street bike, no race bodywork required, and I've seen many liter bikes participating. Do it a couple times and that gets you a real license as well. That costs $100 I believe. The first day for that will be May 5 at the MRA's first event, also at HPR. More details here: http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=12495

Have you been on a track before, or is this your first time?

zrouth
Fri Apr 6th, 2012, 12:30 PM
First time! Thanks for all the info!

zrouth
Fri Apr 6th, 2012, 12:33 PM
That Superstreet thing sounds awesome and that's gonna be the way to go for now. Thanks much sythe

Ghost
Fri Apr 6th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Never had anything but 600s (7 of them to date) and never needed more on either the track or the street.

YMMV.

zrouth
Fri Apr 6th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Never had anything but 600s (7 of them to date) and never needed more on either the track or the street.

YMMV.

Done a lot of reading and that seems to be the majority consensus. Guess I'll just have to learn to walk before I can crawl

mauser72
Fri Apr 6th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Just do an open lapping day at hpr its a very humbling experience and you learn more about riding well in one day at the track than you would ever learn trying to kill yourselfe on the street once you do a laping day you will know if you want a 600 and if you want to try and race

zrouth
Fri Apr 6th, 2012, 07:42 PM
I plan on it, thanks Mauser.

Cornfed
Fri Apr 6th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Now I have one I feel it may be too much bike for me. I can ride it fast and competently at 70% but I like being able to push my limits.

Stop being a pussy. The more hp the bigger the smile! :p

Seriously though. After riding a GSXR1K on the track, and going as fast as humanly possibly I was talked into buying a race prep SV650. And, ah, I went faster on the SV than on the Gixxer.
The thing with liter bikes is they allow you to be lazy, "hmmm, too slow in the corner, screw it, I have warp drive." Its also alot scarey going into turn 1 from 160mph then it is from 100mph.

At the end of the day everyone makes a great bike. Use some throttle control and ride what you like.

sag
Fri Apr 6th, 2012, 11:29 PM
If its still gonna be your street ride I'd keep the thousand for sure. You'll never ride any supersport paet its limit and you can certainly push your limits on either. You love your bike, keep it. You'llhave fun on the track with it I promise

Aston
Sat Apr 7th, 2012, 02:20 PM
My track bike makes 30hp on a good day, and it's still faster than I am.

I say run what you brung and use lots of self control w/ the throttle, and you will be fine.

If you lack self control, do what I did and learn how to ride a slow bike fast before you get a fast bike. BTW 600s are NOT "slow" bikes. They're fucking retarded fast, which is why I didn't start on one. I'd be in the fucking hospital if I did!

zrouth
Sun Apr 8th, 2012, 08:51 PM
I'm keeping her and doing the first superstreet race on may 5th. Thanks for all the input

spideyrdr
Sun Apr 8th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Keep the liter - buy a beater (track bike). Not 100% serious, but a liter bike is a fantastically great way to get around the streets. Power-a-plenty in any gear should you need it, and your Oh-Six is hopefully relatively cheap to keep. I have an 06 CBR1000RR and I love the shit out of it on the street for many reasons.

Meanwhile, if you start get serious about the track, see about picking up a track-prepped 600 for 2 or 3 grand. Honestly, the track experience has been nothing short of awesome on my R6, and I love riding the street on the CBR.