PDA

View Full Version : HPR 4/15 Last weekend day for a while.

Bueller
Sat Apr 7th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Didn't make the trackday today with the MRA School so I am looking to hit up a 1/2 day next Sunday.

I have a half day punch but my wife might want to ride too. So if someone has one for sale lmk, or maybe we can get a buy in going.

Looking at the calender this looks like the last weekend day until October.

buddahson
Sat Apr 7th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Crap, I'm on call but if the weather holds out I'll try to be there. I only have one punch left so I can't help you there.

Cornfed
Sat Apr 7th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Im in on the 15th.
Do I need to preregister to make sure there are enough people?

Slo
Sat Apr 7th, 2012, 07:17 PM
I should be in, will know in the next two days...

Bueller
Sat Apr 7th, 2012, 07:22 PM
No min. needed for for Summer hours

Cornfed
Sat Apr 7th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Grim has decided the canyons are getting too much attention and he is making his leap to the track. Hitting IMI for the first time on Wed the 11th, and then HPR on the 15th. I dont know who is more excited about it, him or me?
So I will be +1. LMAO

mauser72
Sat Apr 7th, 2012, 09:07 PM
See you guys there should be a good day.

tecknojoe
Sat Apr 7th, 2012, 09:10 PM
I tried to put my trailer hitch on but couldn't finish cause I have shitty power tools. If I can get it on this week, i would love to go. fuck i'm sick of thinking about the track and having shit get in my way

buddahson
Sat Apr 7th, 2012, 09:37 PM
I tried to put my trailer hitch on but couldn't finish cause I have shitty power tools. If I can get it on this week, i would love to go. fuck i'm sick of thinking about the track and having shit get in my way

Don't know where your at exactly, but if you want to make the trip up here to Lafayette, I'm sure we can get your hitch on.

oh10raven
Sat Apr 7th, 2012, 09:40 PM
I'm there, can't wait.

tecknojoe
Sat Apr 7th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Don't know where your at exactly, but if you want to make the trip up here to Lafayette, I'm sure we can get your hitch on.

I'm way down in lone tree. I'm gonna think about what to do and hopefully get it figured out. I'll let you know if I wanna make that drive though. Thanks

Ghost
Sat Apr 7th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Grim has decided the canyons are getting too much attention and he is making his leap to the track. Hitting IMI for the first time on Wed the 11th, and then HPR on the 15th. I dont know who is more excited about it, him or me?
So I will be +1. LMAO

So, if this is your 3rd date which one of you is putting out?

rforsythe
Sun Apr 8th, 2012, 06:42 AM

That sounded dirty...

Ninja2
Sun Apr 8th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Thanks so much for pointing this out, Bueller. I will try and be there if I can get the Ninja taken care of in time.

Slo
Sun Apr 8th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Alright, battery was the issue which it's being charged now, only thing left is seat foam and muffler needs to come in and I am there.

Matrix
Sun Apr 8th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I would love to be in on this one but the weather doesn't look promising. 10 day has it at 48 degrees and rainy. :no:

Bueller
Sun Apr 8th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Way to early to worry about weather, last weekend was supposed to suck 2 days out. :lol:

Radek
Sun Apr 8th, 2012, 06:27 PM
could be fun run it backwards

spideyrdr
Sun Apr 8th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Planning to be there in the afternoon if the weather is good. I need to burn the cobwebs off the race bike AND me!

tecknojoe
Sun Apr 8th, 2012, 07:11 PM
could be fun run it backwards

O really they're running backwards that day?

That would be awesome, whole new track

spideyrdr
Sun Apr 8th, 2012, 07:25 PM
O really they're running backwards that day?

That would be awesome, whole new track

I don't think HPR runs backwards. The chicane would be 'interesting' uphill, but I don't think they will be doing it backwards this weekend.

Bueller
Sun Apr 8th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Doesn't run backwards but alternate configs can be fun.

zrouth
Sun Apr 8th, 2012, 08:53 PM
I'd like to join you guys for this one. I still need to get leathers and boots. Anything else I need to do to my bike to lap it?

Slo
Sun Apr 8th, 2012, 09:08 PM
I'd like to join you guys for this one. I still need to get leathers and boots. Anything else I need to do to my bike to lap it?

For gear, you also need gaunlet (long) style gloves, back protector(aftermarket hard style, not the foam pad in jackets), and a helmet that hasn't been dropped or crashed.

For the bike, taped (painters tape works awesome, comes off easily) headlights and tail lights. Disconnect them as well, remove mirrors, and flush coolant(distilled water), water wetter is accepted.

Good tires and brakes....

Bueller
Sun Apr 8th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Although those are good guide lines not all are "required" for HPR

http://www.highplainsraceway.com/pdf/HPR-Lapping-Day-Policies.pdf

Motorcycles
 Water cooled motorcycles must not use any type of glycol in the cooling system. Water and “Water Wetter” is acceptable.
 Motorcycles must have rear view mirrors either removed or covered with tape. HPR recognized instructors are exempted from this requirement.
 Full face helmets are required. Hinged full face helmets are not allowed.
 Motorcycle riders must wear full 1 piece or 2 piece leathers. 2 piece suits must zip all the way around at the waist. Textile suits are not allowed.
 Boots that cover the ankle and gloves that cover the wrist are required.
 Passengers are NOT allowed on ANY motorcycle

powers
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 11:04 AM
I got the trailer and wheel chock thing figured out, so I am there if the weather is good!

Do you guys usually do the entire day or just half days?

Bueller
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 01:48 PM
I really only do 1/2 days. In the spring I usually do afternoon to get the warmth, and in the summer verse-visa to avoid said such.

I can bring the box-o-parts if you are there.

powers
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I really only do 1/2 days. In the spring I usually do afternoon to get the warmth, and in the summer verse-visa to avoid said such.

I can bring the box-o-parts if you are there.

I was thinking just a half day for the first time out. I did Chicane last year and went out for every session except the last one. I was getting tired and made a few mistakes were I got lucky.

Ah, yes I almost forgot about the extra parts, thanks! I need to send some pics of what the 250 looks like now, but will probably just wait so you can see it in person on the 15th.

grim
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 02:09 PM
How much is registration and do i need to do it prior? this will be my first time at HPR.

rforsythe
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 02:37 PM
How much is registration and do i need to do it prior? this will be my first time at HPR.

http://highplainsraceway.com/lapping-days.html

Bueller
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 03:35 PM
you should be looking to get in on a lapping card to save some $

Hack Job
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I'll be there for the afternoon session. Hopefully making less mistakes than last week :rolleyes:

grim
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 06:09 PM
you should be looking to get in on a lapping card to save some $

Indeed

sag
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 07:09 PM
ill be there for the afternoon weather permitting.

BadR6Man
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Looks like i am an in. See you all again on Sunday.

Bueller
Wed Apr 11th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Weather is looking to F this up :mad:

I am headed to IMI today to at least get a little fix, guess I will go change wheels and gearing.

grim
Wed Apr 11th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Weather is looking to F this up :mad:

I am headed to IMI today to at least get a little fix, guess I will go change wheels and gearing.

Keep your head up it's Colorado.

See you at IMI.

Slo
Wed Apr 11th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Was hoping weather was going to look better as we got further in the week, but from what I saw, it went from rain to 40% chance of snow.....

grim
Wed Apr 11th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Had a blast at IMI today despite the last session, thanks for all the pointers Bueller they definiy made a difference in my comfort level and speed.

Slo
Wed Apr 11th, 2012, 06:20 PM
What happened in the last session?

grim
Wed Apr 11th, 2012, 06:25 PM
What happened in the last session?

The turn just before the straight claimed my rearset and some of my paint.

Bueller
Thu Apr 12th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Padawan learned many lessons this day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu-m0Qaie0E

grim
Thu Apr 12th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Padawan learned many lessons this day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu-m0Qaie0E

:yes: My body positioning was completely different by the end of the day I felt a lot more comfortable and was able to handle the bike a lot smoother and faster, I have much to learn but i had a blast learning. Picking up my parts tomorrow if the weather doesn't ruin it ill be at HPR on Sunday to learn some more. :up:.

oh10raven
Thu Apr 12th, 2012, 08:37 AM
if the weather doesn't ruin it ill be at HPR on Sunday to learn some more. :up:.

Forecast just gets worse every day. Close to 70 Saturday, close to 60 Monday and in the 40's with snow Sunday; go figure. I know a lot can change, but it's not looking good.

Slo
Thu Apr 12th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Bueller, who was that ...that you were following in the beginning?

grim
Thu Apr 12th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Bueller, who was that ...that you were following in the beginning?

me

Slo
Thu Apr 12th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Just constructive criticism, and to help keep you and others safe.... May want to keep your hand up for a longer period of time so the people behind you see it.

Also will want to get out of the line if you are planning on getting off the track maybe through the last couple of turns.

Looked like you had a blast out there!!! I need to get mine out there soon to shake some dust off me and the bike.

Bueller
Thu Apr 12th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Lol yea we had one of those "I thought you told him" moments. The convo afterward was quite specific.
You did improve a good bit towards the end until the fail part. Watching that showes me you are still more comfortable turning left and you need to get those flippers up on the pegs.

dirkterrell
Thu Apr 12th, 2012, 10:06 AM
you need to get those flippers up on the pegs.

:yes:

I kept waiting for a toe moment.

grim, if you're looking for input I'll be happy to give mine.

grim
Thu Apr 12th, 2012, 10:22 AM
:yes:

I kept waiting for a toe moment.

grim, if you're looking for input I'll be happy to give mine.

Please do all critsizm is good.

WolFeYeZ
Thu Apr 12th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Lets see your footage grim!

dirkterrell
Thu Apr 12th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Please do all critsizm is good.

Ok, I didn't want come off as a know-it-all, just willing to share what I've learned so far in the continuing quest to learn how to ride these beasts better. Every time I'm out with Dave and Jay, I learn something new so it's good that you got out there with Dave and got feedback from him. There are very few things that are sacred in getting around a track faster, so take input like this, try it out and see what works for you.

Work on getting your feet up on the pegs more. It will not only help avoid an injury, it will give you better control. As you go faster, you'll need to use your legs more and more to steer the bike. I try to do most of the turning work with my legs and body positioning, and limit inputs to the clip-ons as much as I can. Keeping my arms and hands relaxed helps me make finer inputs to the controls and that keeps the bike from getting out of sorts. This could be the source behind Dave's observation that you're more comfortable turning left than right. I'll come back to this.

You said that you were working on your body positioning. That's good. You're mostly staying in the seat and that causes you to have to lean more to make turns. At the pace you're going, you can reduce your lean angle quite a bit and give yourself more reserve for those inevitable oh-shit moments when you're starting out. I try to always move my whole body when positioning myself for a turn. Head and hips move together, otherwise you end up crossed up, and I find that very uncomfortable. It looks like you are moving your hips, but not your head. That gets you crossed up and might be causing you to be using the clip-ons more than you should, making it more difficult to control the throttle, in right turns especially. My advice would be for you to slow down and focus on getting your body in a better position, and having your ams and hands be more comfortable.

Back in the 80's during my first stint in racing, people thought my body positioning was weird. Back then most guys kept their head over the tank and slid their hips out. And it worked pretty well for them. It made more sense to me (being a physicist) to get more of my body to the inside while staying relaxed. Nowadays, my body positioning seems pretty tame compared to how far some of these guys get off the bike. :lol:

Here's what I'm talking about. This is in turn 7 at Pueblo. See how my hips and head are in a line parallel to the bike?

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/bikes/PMP2008apr26/_igp2299_small.jpg

and here is a shot a little farther into the corner:

http://www.boulder.swri.edu/%7Eterrell/bikes/PMP2008apr26/_igp8416_small.jpg

You might try that and see how it works for you. It may feel awkward at first, but if you slow down and work on it, you might find you'll end up going faster while being more relaxed when you pick up the pace. When you're relaxed, you can be much smoother on the inputs to the bike and every fast racer I've ever talked to agrees that smooth inputs and keeping the suspension stable makes for faster lap times.

I see you got bit by the hairpin before the back straight (and had trouble with it early in the video). That's a classic decreasing radius corner and your trouble started on the entry to it. You turned in too soon and ran out of corner on the exit. Watch the difference between your line and Dave's about a minute into the video, and look at the result on the exit. He is using more of the track on the entrance and turns in a bit later. Not a whole lot, mind you, but look at the difference it makes.

So, as I said in the beginning, take this input, think about it, and try it out. Maybe it will help you some.

grim
Thu Apr 12th, 2012, 11:43 AM
^^ Thank you, a lot of what you said is what Dave had told me yesterday it all makes sense to me and I started applying it towards the end of the day. When i bit it i was actually on Dave's line but it seems my tire pressure was too high and i gave it too much throttle in the turn and lost the front.

The pictures help a lot too ill keep working at it, the wipe out was a learning experience so i plan to continue to improve and pick everyone's brain.

Bueller
Thu Apr 12th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Ok, I didn't want come off as a know-it-all.

Damn no it awls!!

Slo
Thu Apr 12th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Every time I'm out with Dave and Jay, I learn something new so it's good that you got out there with Dave and got feedback from him.

Funny you said that, I was going to mention the same thing about me being out there when you and Dave haha.

BTW here is me sneaking onto Buellers back seat, he didn't even know I was there???

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/7606/slobueller3.jpg

Bueller
Fri Apr 13th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Ahh yes the 2-up Ninja250 :lol:

Sunday: Rain and snow likely, becoming all rain after noon. Cloudy, with a high near 44. Breezy, with a north northwest wind between 15 and 24 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.I have officially given up hope :(

grim
Fri Apr 13th, 2012, 01:36 PM
I have officially given up hope :(

+1 this sucks i was really looking forward to getting on a real track.

mauser72
Fri Apr 13th, 2012, 01:36 PM
If I dont go the weather sunday will be perfect but if I do, the weather will be terrible. You just never know in this state, will they be open regardless of weather?(I know they say they run in rain but if the forecast is for snow will they just close the place)

The GECCO
Sat Apr 14th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Hello All, based on the weather forecast and the cancellations by the few who had signed up we have decided to cancel the motorcycle lapping day on Sunday the 15th.