PDA

View Full Version : 2,100 yard kill shot

Ezzzzy1
Sat Apr 7th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Good ol Navy Seals. Pretty bad ass.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1ty7Ly/:NRGzq@1X:KEiv4qH_/www.businessinsider.com/chris-kyle-deadliest-sniper-2012-1/

Wrider
Sat Apr 7th, 2012, 09:56 PM
So... you're saying he's a somewhat decent shot.
2100 yards... 1.19 miles...
Any other gun nuts here just freaking dumbfounded by the distances involved in that shot?

Ghost
Sat Apr 7th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Any other gun nuts here just freaking dumbfounded by the distances involved in that shot?

Yep.

stubbicatt
Sun Apr 8th, 2012, 06:49 AM
Yes. That is a remarkable shot. While probably not even comparable, shooting prairie dogs at 300+ yards with a 22 long rifle is quite a feat as well for those inclined to try something a bit more pedestrian.

RCStylin'
Sun Apr 8th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Yes. That is a remarkable shot. While probably not even comparable, shooting prairie dogs at 300+ yards with a 22 long rifle is quite a feat as well for those inclined to try something a bit more pedestrian.
Please enlighten me here...I was taught as a young kid to not ever kill anything if I wasn't going to eat it for dinner. How do you justify killing prairie dogs for fun? I've never understood this, but I'm probably naive.

Sorry for thread jack.

Filo
Sun Apr 8th, 2012, 10:09 PM

It's not impossible. I used to bullseye womp rants in my T16 back home... that is about the same distance.

Wrider
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Please enlighten me here...I was taught as a young kid to not ever kill anything if I wasn't going to eat it for dinner. How do you justify killing prairie dogs for fun? I've never understood this, but I'm probably naive.

Sorry for thread jack.

I was raised with the same school of thought, and it was drilled into me by the same uncle that had me go out shooting prairie dogs and marmots on his property.

Long story short, prairie dogs are a nuisance. Every year there is at least one outbreak of the black plague near Pueblo West in a prairie dog colony, they dig holes that cause horses and cows to break legs, not to mention they invite many other unwelcome guests such as rattlesnakes, fleas, etc into an area.

mastap07
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 06:26 AM
siick

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 06:42 AM
There are farmers that will let come on their land and blow away as many prairie dogs as you like. Bows are the best, though. If you hit one just right, you can stick him to the side of the burrough and when the other prarie dogs try to hide back in their hole, they can't. Eddie is blocking the hole with an arrow through him. Ah, good times!!

Ezzzzy1
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 07:20 AM
I have shot them with a 22 but does anyone use 223 or does it just make too much of a mess?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 07:40 AM
So... you're saying he's a somewhat decent shot.
2100 yards... 1.19 miles...
At distances like that, I'e read that you have to factor in the spinning of the earth, and lead the target accordingly. Amazing.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 07:40 AM
It's not impossible. I used to bullseye womp rants in my T16 back home... that is about the same distance.
Dood, you are SUCH a geek! :)

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 07:42 AM
I have shot them with a 22 but does anyone use 223 or does it just make too much of a mess?.223 just 'pencil-holes' 'em. .308 makes a nice splatter...

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 07:43 AM
I have shot them with a 22 but does anyone use 223 or does it just make too much of a mess?
I use my 30mm aircraft cannon.....they just disappear......

Canuck
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Not bad. The Brits and Canucks can still beat your 'Seals'.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_recorded_sniper_kills

Wrider
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 08:12 AM
There's a few vids out there where guys with money to burn use .50 BMGs on 'em.

In a couple of cases they miss the thing completely (cameras are extremely zoomed in), but the dog blows up anyway due to the sheer blast pressure from such a huge round being so close to it.

I've use 12 gauges on 'em (full choke and 6 lead shot). Makes a nice bloody dusty cloud.

I've also used my .270 and 30-30. Buddies have used 30-06s and .300 Win Mags. Not much left after any of those rounds.

It's also fun to make into a game. We don't do it cruelly by who can shoot whatever part, but basically any part of the body is 5 pts, and any head shot is 10 pts. Makes it interesting from longer ranges.

Wrider
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Not bad. The Brits and Canucks can still beat your 'Seals'.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_recorded_sniper_kills

Any of those shots are absolutely dumbfounding. I was thinking this one in particular because it's through a NightForce scope. Chances are good it was done in waning light, which is insane in my book.

will-t
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 03:46 PM
http://dogbegone.com/

Prairie Dogs, high power rifles, video cameras...

Aracheon
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 04:14 PM

Sorry for thread jack.

Growing up in a rural farming community with horses and cattle, prairie dogs are nothing short of a nuisance. They carry disease, and the holes they dig are a nice little trap for a horse or a cow to walk into and break one of their legs.

'round these parts, ranchers encourage the extermination of the little rodents as they are a pestilence that is detrimental to how a living is made.

mauser72
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 05:34 PM
So this chris kyle guy is a G.I. joe? (look closley at the second picture)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Just point the owners of any local Chinese resteraunts towards the prarie dog population......instant eradication and a "living made" via exciting new menu items!:p :)

RCStylin'
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Cool...was just wondering. Thanks for the info.