PDA

View Full Version : Pretty cool "Tiny House"

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 03:29 PM
http://www.andersoncooper.com/2012/04/06/families-discover-creative-ways-to-save-big-money/

Pretty cool. I'd like to do somethig similar......but with a garage for my motorcycles!

Sad that people are forced to do things like this, but, awesome that they did.

Wrider
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 04:23 PM
When I was living in Phoenix, I lived in an RV park. A family that had lost their house to foreclosure moved in next to me. It was a mother, father, and their 18 year old daughter living in a truck-back camper. They lived there for a couple of months until they were able to get an apartment.

I offered to let the daughter stay with me in my 5th wheel, but for some reason they declined angrily. No idea why, just trying to be helpful!

mdub
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 04:34 PM
nice.

Dietrich_R1
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 07:41 PM
I really like the "living small" concept. I also agree that storage/garage is very important!!!

When I win the lottery... I would build a racetrack with the straight away to use aircraft for skydiving, one huge ass garage for parties, and small-basic apartments with 2 stall garages & plenty of storage for all the new "friends".

Why is it that the more miserable I am at work, the more lottery tickets I purchase?????

asp_125
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Not that small, but in many parts of Asia nano-apartments are the norm. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg9qnWg9kak

(it reminds me of rats in a cage though)

BC14
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 08:59 PM
No go for this guy. I need to give my pups space to run around, at the very least.

mdub
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 02:16 PM
awh man that sucks fer them...but they have to do what needs to be done for the time being..yes hopefully they can get more space before the kids get older. i really feel sympathy for dem folks.

Ghost
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Why is it that the more miserable I am at work, the more lottery tickets I purchase?????

Dreams overcome mathematical certainty?

asp_125
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 02:27 PM
awh man that sucks fer them...but they have to do what needs to be done for the time being..yes hopefully they can get more space before the kids get older. i really feel sympathy for dem folks.

Sucks for them to lose their business and house, But I am slightly envious they figured out the difference between what they NEED to live on and in, vs what they WANT to keep up with the joneses.

birchyboy
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 02:34 PM
I grew up calling "tiny houses" hunting camps. Maybe that was one way Maine was ahead of the curve.

Ghost
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Sucks for them to lose their business and house, But I am slightly envious they figured out the difference between what they NEED to live on and in, vs what they WANT to keep up with the joneses.

I'd actually be pretty happy in a small, efficient, minimized home like that.

However, I'd still need a garage for my toys--and the garage isn't "keeping up" it's "Keeping assholes from stealing/fucking with my shit".

Fwiw, the TRON: Legacy cargo-train house was pretty bad ass. And, with some tweaking, you could combine that idea with the "tiny house" motif.

Of course, if we're going on what we need Vs. what we want (as a society) then we all could downsize our homes and we could...not all drive our 14mpg SUVs to work, alone, everyday...

mdub
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 03:27 PM
yeah it is just fine solo. but a family of four....no thanks...

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 03:31 PM
My buddy in SoCal got a 20' long watertight shipping container DELIVERED to his house for about $2k. Pour a slab with all needed piping, take a couple of those, weld 'em together, cut some holes for windows/doors, do the interior, bam!, instant house for cheap. AND, the roof will never leak! Then spend maybe $20 on a metal building for a garage, or, get another couple shipping containers. That's what my buddy does with his, he stores all his bikes/tools in it.

asp_125
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 03:43 PM
..., get another couple shipping containers. ..

In some parts of the south, that there's what you call a double-wide. :D

mdub
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 03:44 PM
...and commerce city.

asp_125
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 03:48 PM
...and commerce city.

:bow:

Dunno if they still have it, anyone seen the tiny apartment displays they have at IKEA?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 06:54 PM
:bow:

Dunno if they still have it, anyone seen the tiny apartment displays they have at IKEA?
Yep. I asked them how soon could I move in......(still haven't heard back.....) :)

CaptGoodvibes
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Been thinking about a tiny town on a huge piece of land.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 07:43 PM
In some parts of the south, that there's what you call a double-wide. :D
Hah!

Dietrich_R1
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Not that small, but in many parts of Asia nano-apartments are the norm. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg9qnWg9kak

(it reminds me of rats in a cage though)

The land mass of DIA is over 2x the land mass of Hong Kong, except there aren't 7 million people on it!

I had a roommate in college from Hong Kong. Until later, I never really understood why he always said his family has a backyard!

I think those sliding walls are really neat! Something that could be worked into the tiny-house concept!