PDA

View Full Version : Found an i-pod 16GB Nano touch on the ground....

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 03:47 PM
....Saturday. In perfect shape. It must have fallen off of some guys bicycle, or something. Not a scratch on the screen, just a tiny nick on the metal corner, amazing. Been listening to it all day because there's a ton of music on it. Most of it I don't like, but I'm checking it out. Maybe I''ll find some new music to like.

I know nothing about these things other than this one sells for about $149. I have a 16GB Sony I bought and love that, although it's 3 times the size (but has double the screen size). It works out much better for me because I can use the buttons with my riding gloves, while I couldn't with the i-Pod. I was thinking of loading it up with some music, but, I was told that the only way is to use i-Tunes (not Windows Media Player like my Sony), and that the system might actually be able to find the owner if I loaded some music on it? Does anyone know about this? I mean, if I know who the owner is, I'll get a hold of them. If not, I couldn't return it anyways.

rybo
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 04:02 PM
If it has a GPS chip in it the owner can re-locate it using their I tunes account....

FZRACE97
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 04:09 PM
You will need to enter the owner's Apple ID in order to edit any of the content.

WolFeYeZ
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 04:20 PM
CM, maybe try to find out the apple ID email to contact the person?

If it has a GPS chip in it the owner can re-locate it using their I tunes account....

The Nano does not have GPS.

rforsythe
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 04:42 PM
I wonder if the Apple Store can look in it to track the Apple ID back to its owner?

They also do occasionally have the owner's name programmed in the settings somewhere. I haven't poked around the filesystem on one to see if it stores any of that data, but it might.

SaShWhO
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 04:45 PM
fuck all that.....
finders keepers.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 04:45 PM
I wonder if the Apple Store can look in it to track the Apple ID back to its owner?

They also do occasionally have the owner's name programmed in the settings somewhere. I haven't poked around the filesystem on one to see if it stores any of that data, but it might.
I mean, if it's easy and not a ton of effort, I'll try and find the guy, but I ain't gonna make it a project, ya know? ;)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 04:47 PM
fuck all that.....
finders keepers.
I'm maybe 50% in agreement with that.....but.... Plus, if I would be unable to put some REAL music in this thing because of some i-Tunes issue......

I mean, it's impressive the storage capacity and tiny size and all, but, I like my Sony better.

modette99
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 05:25 PM
With a Google search I see the Ipod Nano has been hacked...

Which I will assume you can then load on music...LOL

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 05:36 PM
With a Google search I see the Ipod Nano has been hacked...

Which I will assume you can then load on music...LOL
Ahhhhh....thanks! :) I use the raw .wav files, or the WMA "lossless" because I want the best sound quality. I realize that it may not matter while in my headphones while riding, but i plan to use these devices in my car and home stereos.

Zach929rr
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I use the raw .wav files, or the WMA "lossless" because I want the best sound quality.

sweet mother of christ

you have to be kidding

WolFeYeZ
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 06:07 PM
sweet mother of christ

you have to be kidding

I think we need to test to see if CM can hear the difference between bit rates and have a party while at it.

AOK303
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 06:22 PM
You can rest any nano or mini to factory settings the touch and phones can lock you out where you need to know password or have it hard clear. which they never check the serial number

You can use winamp instead of itune

mdub
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 06:35 PM
dood ....plug it into your puter. it'll tell you that it already has a home computer would you like to use current ?? hit yes. boom all yours. finders keepers...not too bad it is 16gig...fuck that sony mp3 player man....ipod smacks that bitcha..

Hoot
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 07:03 PM
But if you refuse to use iTunes, it's basically worthless to you. I got a crisp $50 that says you wanna keep your Sony!

sag
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 07:24 PM
if you plug it in it most likely will be titled their name's ipod. then FB them? otherwise check the settings for contact info.

Aaron
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Post a Craigslist post, and ask them to tell you something about it that only the owner would know. Like how many songs, and to name 10 that are on there.

I know most people don't subscribe to the ethics and morals behind returning something that isn't yours, but I do. And if you ever have, you know as well as I do the feeling that goes with that is better than the device could ever give you. I found a girl's wallet in Vail one time, and found her on Facebook and actually drove to her house to give it to her. It had a couple 20s in it, of which I didn't touch. She didn't offer them to me (I would have), but regardless, the feeling I got from doing the right thing was better than 40 bucks. Food for thought.

mdub
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 07:59 PM
your a good guy Aaron.

Aaron
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 08:05 PM
You obviously don't know me well enough to have learned otherwise. But it's a good thing I portray that image!

derekm
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I would "lose" mine after locking all the info in it & just have never gonna give you up filling it to capacity

mdub
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 08:10 PM
well which is it???? good / bad? ....dang if i drove and gave that hoochie back her property and no reward ....dang yo whip it and say suck....hahahaha

modette99
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Post a Craigslist post, and ask them to tell you something about it that only the owner would know. Like how many songs, and to name 10 that are on there.

I know most people don't subscribe to the ethics and morals behind returning something that isn't yours, but I do. And if you ever have, you know as well as I do the feeling that goes with that is better than the device could ever give you. I found a girl's wallet in Vail one time, and found her on Facebook and actually drove to her house to give it to her. It had a couple 20s in it, of which I didn't touch. She didn't offer them to me (I would have), but regardless, the feeling I got from doing the right thing was better than 40 bucks. Food for thought.

I would of mailed it using the money in the wallet to return it *shrug* This once came up in another forum, most people said the money would be a finders fee for returning the wallet. I somewhat agree. i would not drive to return that be up to the gal to pickup or expect it to be mailed.

#1Townie
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 09:03 PM

+1

Ghost
Mon Apr 9th, 2012, 10:40 PM

/hewashopingshewouldgratibanghim

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 08:49 AM
I think we need to test to see if CM can hear the difference between bit rates and have a party while at it.
No kidding. If I remember, the mp3 format pretty much completely cuts off at 16Khz. I have pretty good ears, and in listening to songs on the i-Pod I was pretty familiar with, I noticed a lack of detail and "brightness". So, yeah, I'll stick with the .wma lossless or raw .wav files, although I'm now leaning twards the .wma losless because they are true lossless format files, and save some space. Hey, at 16GB, I can ride all day and never hear the same song twice. That's all I need.

http://www.mp3-tech.org/tests/pm/MP3-160k.htm

Zach929rr
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 10:33 AM
320kb/s mp3s are going to be smaller than your raw or lossless and you will not be able to notice any distortion. That's where I was going with my comment.

WolFeYeZ
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 10:42 AM
320kb/s mp3s are going to be smaller than your raw or lossless and you will not be able to notice any distortion. That's where I was going with my comment.

Exactly what I was going for too, lol

Penadam
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Pssss, I only use FLAC.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Well, that's what they say, but, I'll take the larger filesize hit, and go with the lossless. My hearing was tested at Woodward, and from what I remember, though my left ear had a slight dip (strangely, at the exact frequency of my x-wife's voice..... :) ) in one small area of it's response, from what I remember of the results, I can hear pretty much all the way to 20Khz. I think that's why I'd always been drawn to the old (much better) Infinity speakers with that amazing EMIT tweeter.

But thanks for the info!

Ghosty
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 12:34 PM
What a coincidence. Check out my "iPod Nano wrath" thread I just posted last night on CRN, good times! Hahaa. If you can't see the thread, tell me and I'll copy the text here.

http://forums.coloradoracing.net/index.php?/topic/131869-apple-ipoditunes-junk-rant/

Once you get past my huge cuss-filled rant, there's actually some good advice on different non-Apple apps to use instead of iTunes.

Zach929rr
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Well, that's what they say, but, I'll take the larger filesize hit, and go with the lossless. My hearing was tested at Woodward, and from what I remember, though my left ear had a slight dip (strangely, at the exact frequency of my x-wife's voice..... :) ) in one small area of it's response, from what I remember of the results, I can hear pretty much all the way to 20Khz. I think that's why I'd always been drawn to the old (much better) Infinity speakers with that amazing EMIT tweeter.

But thanks for the info!

I mean, if you have the room to have a mobile collection of stuff all in lossless, then by all means do it. I have an 80gb classic that is filled to the brim with stuff I listen to i.e. I can put the whole thing on shuffle and only skip maybe 5-10% of the songs that come on. No chance in hell I could carry nearly as much around in lossless as is on there now. Everything i have is a 192kb/s minimum and tbh, I have a pretty goddamn hard time telling the difference between 192 and 320... most of that additional distortion doesn't really materialize until I'm pushing the head unit in my Explorer really hard.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 01:05 PM
What a coincidence. Check out my "iPod Nano wrath" thread I just posted last night on CRN, good times! Hahaa. If you can't see the thread, tell me and I'll copy the text here.

http://forums.coloradoracing.net/index.php?/topic/131869-apple-ipoditunes-junk-rant/

Once you get past my huge cuss-filled rant, there's actually some good advice on different non-Apple apps to use instead of iTunes.
Sorry, I can;t read any of it. I'll try later at the library.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Apr 10th, 2012, 01:07 PM
I mean, if you have the room to have a mobile collection of stuff all in lossless, then by all means do it. I have an 80gb classic that is filled to the brim with stuff I listen to i.e. I can put the whole thing on shuffle and only skip maybe 5-10% of the songs that come on. No chance in hell I could carry nearly as much around in lossless as is on there now. Everything i have is a 192kb/s minimum and tbh, I have a pretty goddamn hard time telling the difference between 192 and 320... most of that additional distortion doesn't really materialize until I'm pushing the head unit in my Explorer really hard.
My Sony which is much bigger but much better suited to riding, is 16GB (actually about 14.7 useable if I remember) and I can fit a 14hr day's worth of riding on it. So, really, that's all I need.

DorJammer
Wed Apr 11th, 2012, 09:30 AM

^^^^THIS^^^^:applause:

Ghosty
Wed Apr 11th, 2012, 09:52 AM
^^^^THIS^^^^:applause:
Agree as well, I go out of my way, none of this "finders keepers" elementary school stuff. Especially when you think of how frustrating it is when you lose your own phone, keys, whatever. Just think of that feeling of massive anxiety, ugh, it sucks.

Yeah that girl should've given you a reward, what a bitch, but oh well. That's just the nature of most people, they only think of themselves.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Apr 11th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Agree as well, I go out of my way, none of this "finders keepers" elementary school stuff. Especially when you think of how frustrating it is when you lose your own phone, keys, whatever. Just think of that feeling of massive anxiety, ugh, it sucks.

Yeah that girl should've given you a reward, what a bitch, but oh well. That's just the nature of most people, they only think of themselves.
Like I said, I'm going to try and find the owner, but I've got too many other things going on to make it a huge project for me. Namely, getting more custody of my daughter and all the after-hours work that's gonna entail. I too, subscribe to "doing right", but there's a certain point I'll stop looking.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Apr 11th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Of note, after having this for a few days now, I can DEFINATELY say the audio format has a noticable cutoff on the high end for me. It's not as bright and airy sounding as a true .wav or lossless file to me. Also, frankly, I like the buttons on my Sony better, even when I'm not riding. The touchscreen would make it impossible for me to use even if I had conductive gloves, and I couldn't see the icons with my right hand on the bar enyways. I like a physical button, and I can rewind a favorite song with my left hand even while somewhat leaned over. While the touchscreen seems neat to me at first, maybe I'm just too ham-handed to scroll correctly, because I usually end up over or under scrolling. I'm sure that'd get better with practice, but, I still prefer buttons. I know what's going to happen and the button always operates the same and scrolls the same speed.

WolFeYeZ
Wed Apr 11th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Of note, after having this for a few days now, I can DEFINATELY say the audio format has a noticable cutoff on the high end for me. It's not as bright and airy sounding as a true .wav or lossless file to me. Also, frankly, I like the buttons on my Sony better, even when I'm not riding. The touchscreen would make it impossible for me to use even if I had conductive gloves, and I couldn't see the icons with my right hand on the bar enyways. I like a physical button, and I can rewind a favorite song with my left hand even while somewhat leaned over. While the touchscreen seems neat to me at first, maybe I'm just too ham-handed to scroll correctly, because I usually end up over or under scrolling. I'm sure that'd get better with practice, but, I still prefer buttons. I know what's going to happen and the button always operates the same and scrolls the same speed.

The music on there is probably converted to 128kbps which itunes likes to do before putting on i-devices. 128kbps kinda suck big time.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Apr 11th, 2012, 01:19 PM
The music on there is probably converted to 128kbps which itunes likes to do before putting on i-devices. 128kbps kinda suck big time.
Probably. I'm not an apple kinda guy, so I can't say what's on there. It SERIOUSLY has a high-end issue though.

Ghosty
Wed Apr 11th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Like I said, I'm going to try and find the owner, but I've got too many other things going on to make it a huge project for me. Namely, getting more custody of my daughter and all the after-hours work that's gonna entail. I too, subscribe to "doing right", but there's a certain point I'll stop looking.
All good, and understood. I wasn't doggin' on ya, more on people in general who don't at least put forth some minimal effort. Good luck with it, I already want to burn my Nano in a large fire, after trying to deal with this piece of shit iTunes debacle. Can't wait to get a deck in my truck with Bluetooth so I can just stream from my 32gb Droid-X.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Apr 12th, 2012, 07:53 AM
All good, and understood. I wasn't doggin' on ya, more on people in general who don't at least put forth some minimal effort. Good luck with it, I already want to burn my Nano in a large fire, after trying to deal with this piece of shit iTunes debacle. Can't wait to get a deck in my truck with Bluetooth so I can just stream from my 32gb Droid-X.
No worries, I didn't take it that way at all. Like I said, I havd the serial #, and if the owner is listed, I'll try and contact them.

I'm not a fan of the interface. It's a neat bit of technology, and impressive for it's size, but on something that small, it doesn't work for me. Size DOES matter. :)

Mother Goose
Thu Apr 12th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Old people are funny... ;) Get a wireless remote for it, and you won't care about the sound issues your old ears are hearing. :D

BTW, you can plug it into your computer and add/take off music with WinAmp. You don't HAVE to use iTunes.

bulldog
Thu Apr 12th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Old people are funny... ;) Get a wireless remote for it, and you won't care about the sound issues your old ears are hearing. :D

BTW, you can plug it into your computer and add/take off music with WinAmp. You don't HAVE to use iTunes. Or for a small fee you can use this program to sync the ipod with Windows Media Player. All my music was already nicely done in WMP, so I went ahead and bought this years ago and still works great! http://www.mgtek.com/dopisp/

http://sarahlately.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/OldPeople.png

P.S. I bet there are a few Illegal Mexicans that can teach you how to us a Ipod CM :D

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Apr 12th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Or for a small fee you can use this program to sync the ipod with Windows Media Player. All my music was already nicely done in WMP, so I went ahead and bought this years ago and still works great! http://www.mgtek.com/dopisp/

P.S. I bet there are a few Illegal Mexicans that can teach you how to use a stolen Ipod CM :D
FIXORED! :)

I'll check that, thanks!

Are you telling me I should get a hold of your nemesis Barn? :)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Apr 12th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Well, I looked a little deeper into the unit, and it had the guy's name in it, but no contact info. But, I did a search on Yellowbook and, luckily for him, he's not "unlisted". Called his wife, and that's him. Funny, but in looking at the map of his house, he dropped it almost right in front of his driveway, right at the next street crossing. I didn't think to go to the nearest house because I had my daughter in the car. So, I told them I get into the Longmont area every 2 weeks with my daughter, or he's free to come down and get it.

So, the story has a happy ending, and I got to do the "Right Thing" and got to try an i-Pod out with some new music for a while.

So, to all you vultures that tried to buy it off me....:p

I still like my Sony a lot better, especially for riding, but now I know! :)

Cars-R-Coffins
Thu Apr 12th, 2012, 04:29 PM

= Brought up right

fuck all that.....
finders keepers.

= No comment

Ghosty
Thu Apr 12th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Awesome dude, I bet that guy is psyched. Not really as critical as a wallet, keys, or phone, but still nice to have back I'm sure.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Apr 13th, 2012, 02:52 PM
The guy's wife came by and got it. Was very nice, and thankful, and gave me a $20 *Bucks card, and a nice card. She told me "you're such a good person".......I respectfully disagreed with her. :) Turns out it was his Christmas gift from their teenaged son. I'm not a fan of *Bucks, so I'm going to spend the $20 on coffee and stuff for all the people at work in my dept. ;)

PunyJuney
Fri Apr 13th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Mine wasn't registered before I saw this post but I will register it now.
Congratulations on moving up the evolutionary ladder and doing the right thing Frank.

~Barn~
Fri Apr 13th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Congratulations on moving up the evolutionary ladder <Snip...>

:pointlaugh:

Dr. Joe Siphek
Fri Apr 13th, 2012, 03:10 PM
right on frank! :up:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Apr 13th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Mine wasn't registered before I saw this post but I will register it now.
Congratulations on moving up the evolutionary ladder and doing the right thing Frank.
Hey, I'll never claim to be moving UP the evolutionary ladder (mostly doing an "Altered States" thing, but I digress....) but thanks. ;)

I'll actually be registering my Sony after all this, make it easier for the few honest people to contact me if I ever lose it. Of course, I think if it ever comes off my wrist while I'm riding, I'll have MUCH bigger things to worry about......