PDA

View Full Version : cleaning helmet liners?

TRIP ROGERS
Tue Sep 16th, 2003, 08:58 PM
i have a shoei rf900 (i think that is the model) that i have had a few years and with sweat and the such it has gotten kinda nasty. the liner is NOT removable, anybody know how i should clean it?

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 16th, 2003, 09:19 PM
Take it into the shower and use a mild detergent. It doesn't take much. Don't scrub too hard either it will weaken the adhesive. Rinse it out really good and place it on a heat register (assuming you have the heat on) or place in a sunny window to dry. It works like a charm.

CSUAdam
Tue Sep 16th, 2003, 09:21 PM
There are some companys that make foams to clean the liners, I think Motorex makes one.

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Sep 17th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Rinse it out really good and place it on a heat register.

I would let it air dry or put a fan on it. I had a liner shrink and pull lose from the inside from using low heat.

towneh
Wed Sep 17th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Here is another trick to drying out the inner cavities.... Loosely pack some newspaper inside the helmet. they tend to wick the moisture out of the lining material. remove the damp wads of newspaper every couple of hours and replace them with other wads.
slow is better than heat,
henry

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Sep 17th, 2003, 11:10 AM
I forgot about the newspaper trick. I do that with my climbing shoes.

towneh
Wed Sep 17th, 2003, 11:16 AM
paper packin' --- snowboard helmet, snowboard boots (soft and hard), scramble shoes, and hikin' boots. works like a champ :D :D :D
henry

CSUAdam
Wed Sep 17th, 2003, 04:27 PM
Hey, a quick way to make it smell better is to simply leave some scented dryer sheets inside the helmet for a day or two.

TRIP ROGERS
Thu Sep 18th, 2003, 10:34 PM
thanks for all the advice, i'll give it a go and see what comes of it. :cheers: