PDA

View Full Version : Automotive title question

Penadam
Thu Apr 12th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Recently paid off a car that I had purchased in TN. When I moved here, I registered it here. The lien holder (from TN) mailed me the title from TN. Will I be getting a CO title? Will it come from the DMV or the lien holder? Do I have to go down to the DMV and apply for a CO title, or can I just live with a TN title? I really don't want to pay any kind of CO title if I don't have to, the DMV screws us here enough as it is.

AOK303
Thu Apr 12th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Do you have colorado plates already?

Penadam
Thu Apr 12th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Yes. I have CO registration and plates.

AOK303
Thu Apr 12th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Your title is your proof of vehicle ownership. It remains with you until you decide to sell, donate or give the vehicle to another owner. The transfer must take place at your county title and registration office (http://www.dmv.org/co-colorado/dmv-office-finder.php). Unlike other states, there is no set time limit for when you must title your vehicle following the date of purchase.

Straight from the colorado DMV page, so until you sell, gift, or donate you good, or unless you need a new tittle and don't want to go back to the state its in

MetaLord 9
Fri Apr 13th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Did they mail the title to the DMV?

asp_125
Fri Apr 13th, 2012, 08:13 AM
The title is good until you sell it, then it becomes the buyer's responsibility to get a CO title. You can register a CO plate with an out of state title. Our truck has a VA title and CO plates.

Penadam
Fri Apr 13th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Excellent. Thanks for the help.

texlurch
Sat Apr 14th, 2012, 12:51 AM
So I am moving back home to CO, I won't have to change all the titles over to get the plates changed?

Any other hoops to expect when I go for plates?

AOK303
Sat Apr 14th, 2012, 01:29 AM
you just need insurance, emmisons and proof of ownership to get plates title is up to you if you want a colorado title while it is easier to get one if you loose it if its the state you live in

texlurch
Sat Apr 14th, 2012, 01:59 AM
Guess I need to see what sort of emmisions program Park County has.

bluedogok
Sat Apr 14th, 2012, 09:19 PM
We just switched 4 plates from Texas to Colorado last month, the cars are the only thing that needed emissions testing. The motorcycle and utility trailer only needed the VIN verifications, no emissions testing on motorcycles, at least in Arapahoe County. I got the cars and trailer inspected at the testing place off Parker Rd., the bike I got done at Foothills Triumph. They gave me a hard time about the trailer because it had a sticker VIN on it even though I had all the paperwork, Texas title and original receipt from Northern Tool. When I got exasperated at what difference would it make if it had a "stamped VIN" when I had all the relevant paperwork she finally relented.

As far as cost, I have read some horror stories about how much cars were to transfer, my wife called and tried to find out how much but they would never give her a number and the required paperwork varied, even when she talked to the same person a second time. My car was much less than we thought it would be (2003 Z4) and the bike was pretty cheap in comparison, the little $600 utility trailer was more than my 2000 Sprint. My wife's 4Runner (2007) was a different thing, that one was pretty expensive but still not "horror story" worthy.

The bike is free and clear and I got a new, clean title in Texas before moving up here so I had less things to hassle with when it came time to switch. For the cars the person at the DMV couldn't grasp the concept that the State of Texas had registration stikers stuck to the car instead of registration papers to carry like Colorado requires so we had to request duplicate titles from the banks (and my car is paid off in 4 months) to take into the DMV. It was a bit of a hassle but not as painful as the time when I moved to Texas but bought a vehicle in Oklahoma right before the move. The $1,200 check to Travis County wasn't a nice "Welcome to Texas" gift but was only slightly larger than what I would've had to pay Oklahoma for the tags.