PDA

View Full Version : RWD cage in CO?

CaptGoodvibes
Sat Apr 14th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Who has one? How do you deal with driving in snow?

I'm looking at cars and prefer a driver's car w/MT.

And..... go!

Drano
Sat Apr 14th, 2012, 10:37 PM
I used to drive an 89 Camaro when I lived in Utah. As long as you know what you're doing, the snow isn't much of a problem. In my opinion you're even more cautious driving a rwd than awd or 4wd because you won't as easily be instilled with a false sense of confidence.

When starting out in snow, put the car in 2nd gear if you're having trouble getting traction. I also recommend finding empty parking lots to do donuts in so you can prepare yourself for the rare spin you may encounter while going down a hill. As long as you don't hit something it's a lot of fun!

CaptGoodvibes
Sat Apr 14th, 2012, 10:44 PM
My last RWD was a 99 Mustang GT and that was fun as shit to drive! The new Mustang V6 has better performance numbers than my 99 had. I have read somewhere that it's a Euro feeling car re: Handling.

madvlad
Sat Apr 14th, 2012, 10:58 PM
With a good set of winter tires you should be golden. Some of our Infiniti customers drive their G35/37 rwd in the winter no issues.

Ghost
Sat Apr 14th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Honestly I prefer my AWD since I never have to worry about the weather.

But, my first car and several others were RWD and I still survived in winter.

Studded snows, don't drive like an ass & you'll get by most of the time.

Just don't be That Asshole doing 25 mph in the left lane on the 470 when there's two flakes in the air...

CaptGoodvibes
Sat Apr 14th, 2012, 11:24 PM
I'd put Blizzaks on it every winter...

Ghost
Sat Apr 14th, 2012, 11:40 PM
I'd put Blizzaks on it every winter...

Good tires help, but it all depends on what car they're on, where you're driving and what the weather is doing.

This winter was so dry that unless you were up in the mountains for one of our few storms you'd probably have been fine most of the time.

However, in a bad winter it'll be a lot of slow & miserable driving. I never drove my z28 in snow, as I had another (awd) winter car, but my Impala & my 200sx saw a few winters each. Fun to drift & fuck around in, not so fun actually trying to drive 285 in a blizzard.

On the other hand, my STI absolutely destroys winter driving and makes getting anywhere incredibly easy while still being a monster at the track.

I miss RWD dynamics, but overall I'll keep AWD for my daily and get another RWD as a secondary "fun" car.

Owen_R6
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 12:59 AM
I've got one sitting in the garage...

but it wont see the snow, nor will it see the rain lol. Actually just sold the bike to be able to buy it. My wrangler is my DD.

Fumet5uNo
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Have had no probs with the BMW just get a good set of snow tires

Darth Do'Urden
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 08:53 AM
My wife has a Lincoln Town Car. There's been the odd problem of getting stuck in the neighborhood since those side streets never get plowed, but I think that's also mainly due to my wife and not knowing how to handle the vehicle and gas pedal in deeper snow.

If you know how to actually drive then caution should keep you well enough in control. 90degree turns in the ice seem to be the biggest issue since that's where you're going to see the biggest difference in not having the front wheels to pull you through the turn.

salsashark
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 09:01 AM
I cut my teeth driving a 66 mustang in the snow and I never got stuck. Like others have said, proper tires and proper driving, you'll be fine. It's a mindset. When I had my jeep, I would purposely go out and play in deep snow... and got it stuck good enough to require shoveling several times. Things I would not do in a RWD car.

The current stable works as well. The RWD stays in the garage and the 4WD tank comes out to play. Not that I'm worried about my driving, but I'm scared to death of others. If I'm going to take a broadside from some idiot who has no clue about winter driving, I would rather them smash up my ram over my mustang any day of the week.

asp_125
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 09:17 AM
I grew up driving a RWD rear engined bug in the snow. Also had a Miata for a couple of years. The Miata wasn't the best, since it was so darned light it tended to float on top and not get traction. With the right tires you can get through most snow days. Put Blizzaks on all four corners. I even went so far as to go to narrower snow tires to cut through the snow; instead of running say 190 go to 180s. Now, with traction control, it's going to cut power to the drive wheels when it's slippery, so be aware the power might not be there when you want it.

mdub
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 09:20 AM
If u can't get awd, get fwd. rwd in co. nah . I don't care how nice a set of tires u get ur still gonna drive gingerly. U have more chance Of losing control driving a rwd than any other.

asp_125
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 09:23 AM
If u can't get awd, get fwd. rwd in co. nah . I don't care how nice a set of tires u get ur still gonna drive gingerly. U have more chance Of losing control driving a rwd than any other.

... :dunno: I see a lot more AWD suvs in the ditch on snow days than I see Camaros.

bluedogok
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 09:42 AM
I haven't really had any problems with a RWD car in snow, the only issues is at times was the low ground clearance on my BMW Z4. With all season tires it did fine with what we had this year (I moved up at the end of October) with the traction control/ABS it was pretty easy, it was a good thing that I replaced the summer tires with all season tires last summer before we decided to move up here. The only time I had a problem was when the plow stacked up snow right behind my car, with Snowman's pickup I would have been able to just back right over it. My wife's 4Runner is 2WD (bought a few years ago in Austin, didn't need 4WD down there) but we really haven't had to do much in snow with it yet since she moved up here in February. When it comes time to get a replacement for the 4Runner we will probably replace it with something 4WD/AWD, I would like to get a pickup and park the Z4 in the garage and leave it for a fun car, that will probably be a 4WD vehicle as well. There tends to be a lot more of them available up here in the used market than in Oklahoma or Texas, the few that do come up on the used market down there tend to be at a premium price because there just aren't as many of them.

In years past in Oklahoma the only RWD that I had trouble with was my old Ranchero, too much motor and no weight in the rear but we had more ice than snow there and nothing tends to do well on ice.

mdub
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 10:19 AM
[QUOTE] I see a lot more AWD suvs in the ditch on snow days than I see Camaros."

Those r da nimrods that believe in 4 wheel go means 4 wheel stop. Camaros usually stay around Denver metro. They are the ones in front of u at a stop light.

#1Townie
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Red is fine. Carry chains for the mountains. Call it a day.

mauser72
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Colorado winters are mild, with a rear drive car in the winter most days you will want regular tires on it. We have like a total of 10 days with snow on the road get a good set of chains and practice putting them on then when the occasional storm hits youll be prepared.

madvlad
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 11:14 AM
... :dunno: I see a lot more AWD suvs in the ditch on snow days than I see Camaros.

... Which reminds me of Squaw pass last year when we rode on full ice/snow and saw this guy on a Chevrolet Avalanche stuck while we rode past him lmao, RWD? No problem!

CaptGoodvibes
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 11:17 AM
The new Mustang V6 is looking better and better.

Jmetz
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Depends more on YOUR driving ability then the vehicle. I have a 4wd truck that I drove in rwd through most of the snow with almost bald tires. But I like driving in the snow more then most people and thus I'm better at it.

CaptGoodvibes
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 11:35 AM
... Which reminds me of Squaw pass last year when we rode on full ice/snow and saw this guy on a Chevrolet Avalanche stuck while we rode past him lmao, RWD? No problem!

Hahaha!!! On bikes I presume? Nice!

CaptGoodvibes
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Depends more on YOUR driving ability then the vehicle. I have a 4wd truck that I drove in rwd through most of the snow with almost bald tires. But I like driving in the snow more then most people and thus I'm better at it.

I like it when things get loose. But I grew up surfing and MTBing so constant adjustments are not a concern.

Yeah, I think this thread has lessened my worry and I'll be moving forward with a RWD MT of some kind. Trying to stay in the mid $20k's so I'm limited in selection but there are a few good choices.

madvlad
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Hahaha!!! On bikes I presume? Nice!

Yea, I'll look for the picture and post it.

salsashark
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 11:55 AM
The new Mustang V6 is looking better and better.

I've been very happy with mine :up:

derekm
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 11:57 AM
rwd & rear motor!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/88/VolkswagenBeetle-001.jpg/250px-VolkswagenBeetle-001.jpg

Jmetz
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I gotta ask why a v6 version of a muscle car? I've never really seen the point.

madvlad
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 12:19 PM
There you go, took me a while to find lol

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showpost.php?p=623078&postcount=76

salsashark
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 12:24 PM

My reasoning... I wanted to get a small commuter car that gets good gas mileage, was comfortable and fun to drive. The v6 mustang accomplishes all of those.

I'm not into drag racing. I have nothing to prove to some random teenager in a ricer nor do I have anything to prove to some guy who's going through a mid life crisis but can't afford a Porsche so they buy a shelby or the like.

willb003
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 12:25 PM
HA if you actually know how to drive then rwd with all terrain tires are fine in the snow. Been doing it that way for years. Have yet to wreck or slide off the road.

Mother Goose
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Moved to the auto forum.

sag
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 01:54 PM

first motor ever built with over 300hp and 30mpg. and it will stomp any previous generation stang gt with a v8, especially with a new rear driveshaft and gearing.

definitely get tires though front and rear and you will be just fine in the winter, skinniest size recommended for the wheel. the only time i need 4wd in my tundra in the winters is getting in or out of the gutter to my driveway lol. this is assuming you live in a city with snow removal though and not some rural city limit area.

PunyJuney
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 04:58 PM
I drive my CLK550 MB in the snow, with z-rated conti's on it all year. Most would call that stupid, I think it's fun. As other's have said, we really don't have many 'snow days' and I'm fine until I get home and have to get up my steep driveway with the turn up top. Then again, I grew up driving in Canada.

sag
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 05:22 PM
clear roads or not, summer tires are no good in cold temperatures and when its super cold out youre just stressing the rubber way more by running them super hard and near brittle and decreasing the life, safety, and grip capabilities of the tires.

all season and winter tires stay flexible in freezing temperatures, summer tires just get ruined and wont grip well even on clear roads.

CaptGoodvibes
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 07:27 PM

Actually, a Mustang is a pony car. Anyway, the V6 will outhandle the V8 all day long. And the current V6 has more HP and more torque than my '99 V8 had so I'm sure I'll be just fine. And I have a budget.

CaptGoodvibes
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 07:35 PM
We do the deal with Firestone for Blizzaks for both cars. Swapping tires twice a year and lifetime alignment is worth the cost and the summer tires last a lot longer.

Ghost
Sun Apr 15th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Actually, a Mustang is a pony car. Anyway, the V6 will outhandle the V8 all day long. And the current V6 has more HP and more torque than my '99 V8 had so I'm sure I'll be just fine. And I have a budget.

Unless you're really in a rush, I'd actually wait a year.

The 2014 Mustang will be the 50th Anniversary of the Mustang and it's going to be a completely new car...

sag
Mon Apr 16th, 2012, 12:29 AM

v6 out handle the gt? naaaaaaah. its only ~100 lbs lighter and sans performance package, lacks a lot of nice chassis items compared to the gt. the review i read said the gt is much better to drive around a road course handling wise.

CaptGoodvibes
Mon Apr 16th, 2012, 07:59 AM
v6 out handle the gt? naaaaaaah. its only ~100 lbs lighter and sans performance package, lacks a lot of nice chassis items compared to the gt. the review i read said the gt is much better to drive around a road course handling wise.

Well, I guess that could be true.

But I have a budget and I've budgeted $26k. That gives me $3k to buff the suspension and I'm still a solid $5-6k below the GT. Really, I don't need the V8 power and I don't need the gas bill right now. I'm just coming off 4 years on a student budget and while I do have a good job now, and I have a very lucrative moonlighting gig, I can't stretch myself too thin.

In other words, the V8 ain't gonna happen until 2017.

CaptGoodvibes
Mon Apr 16th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Unless you're really in a rush, I'd actually wait a year.

The 2014 Mustang will be the 50th Anniversary of the Mustang and it's going to be a completely new car...

Not in a rush until the snow starts falling next season. I do like the idea of a special edition but I don't like to buy the first year of a new design, so I'd be torn.