PDA

View Full Version : Phone upgrade advice needed

Vance
Mon Apr 16th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Good day tech heads...

So I'm about ready for my 2 year renewal / upgrade opportunity with Verizon and I've come to the conclusion that when it comes to phones - I don't have the damndest idea which is better or why.

I'm partial to physical QWERTY keyboards - but I know those are almost impossible to get anymore - so I'll have to settle for a virtual keyboard.

Otherwise - there's not much I absolutely NEED out of a phone. Smartphone - yes. 4G? I honestly don't know if I care. I'm fine with good 3G speeds to be honest.

The phones I'm currently considering / comparing are:
HTC Rezound
Droid Razr 32gb
Droid Razr 16gb
Droid 4

I like the Droid Maxx's battery life - but not the price.

Anyway --- can anyone give me some thoughts on pro's, con's, etc... and if there's a phone there from Verizon I'm missing that I should consider?

For the record --- I will not consider the iPhones under any circumstances.

Thanks in advance!

Hoot
Mon Apr 16th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Why are the iPhones not being considered? Is there something about them that might help with input?

Ghosty
Mon Apr 16th, 2012, 01:09 PM
There's already a Droid-4?! I've had a Droid-X for a long time. Might change things up on my next phone, but haven't researched all the flavors yet. I HATE my battery life, even with the extended battery, it blows. The Razr looks pretty trick, so thin.

P.S. After my nightmarish experience with the iTunes and iPod Nano p.o.s., I'll probably never buy an Apple product again.

Vance
Mon Apr 16th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Why are the iPhones not being considered? Is there something about them that might help with input?

Personal moral objective to never own an Apple product.

dirkterrell
Mon Apr 16th, 2012, 01:16 PM
There's already a Droid-4?!

Yes. I like mine quite a bit. The physical keyboard comes in handy at times (like ssh sessions into servers).

Nick_Ninja
Mon Apr 16th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Droid 4 has QuarkyKeyboard. Razor Maxx is what I'm driving and it is the tits :up: What ever you get get it soon. Verizon just announced that all phone upgrades will now cost $30.

#1Townie
Mon Apr 16th, 2012, 01:20 PM
I used to have to have a key board but have goten used to one on the screen. Droid x. I like it.

cbrjohnny
Mon Apr 16th, 2012, 01:43 PM
i dont use a key pad on my iphone i just talk to it and it does the rest for me...

#1Townie
Mon Apr 16th, 2012, 01:45 PM
I do that when im driving.

Vance
Mon Apr 16th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Droid 4 has QuarkyKeyboard. Razor Maxx is what I'm driving and it is the tits :up: What ever you get get it soon. Verizon just announced that all phone upgrades will now cost $30.

When does that rule / cost supposedly go into effect?
My upgrade isn't available until May 2

Nick_Ninja
Mon Apr 16th, 2012, 02:39 PM
When does that rule / cost supposedly go into effect?
My upgrade isn't available until May 2

This month sometime. Maybe they will let you do it earlier to avoid the charge.

green_zx7r
Mon Apr 16th, 2012, 04:34 PM
If physical keyboard is top priority, you only have one choice, the Droid 4.

If the keyboard is not a requirement but a preference, I would get the Razr 32gb. No on the 16 gb Razr. Why get a 16gb version if you can get the 32 gb for a bit more? No on the Rezound since it's only a 3G phone.

Three other options you may want to consider:

1) Razr Maxx: As Jeffe here says, Razr Maxx is a MUST over the regular Razrs. Same everything but MUCH MUCH better battery life. Not sure what your daily routine is, but with these large screen phones and 4G, phone batteries don't last very long. To add, Razr's don't give you access to the battery compartment, which means you can't keep a spare battery and are screwed if you run out of juice. So to consider the fact that you are stuck with the phone for two years, I'd go for the Razr Maxx. Who knows, maybe by the time May rolls around, the Maxx would get cheaper?

2) Galaxy Nexus: I currently have the Galaxy Nexus. Specs are very much similar to the Razrs (dual core, 4.6 ~ 4.7 in screen, etc.). I'm sure by the time May 2nd rolls around, the price would be comparable to the Droid Razors you listed. Beautiful screen and darn smooth operation. I love the freedom to hack this developer based phone as well. You also are on the latest version of the Android operating system (not the latest release though). I think I am on 4.02, which is Ice Cream Sandwich. Love the OS. Much better all around than Gingerbread (2.3.#), which is on the Razrs.

3) Galaxy SIII: I doubt you would go for this, but Samsung will be releasing their new flagship phone, the Galaxy SIII sometime in the summer (maybe May/June?). The SII was a huge hit. It's been close to a year (which is VERY long for phone tech age), and it's still one of the best phones out there. Beautiful screen and very snappy phone. No news on whether it would be released on Verizon, but there's a good chance. SII was never release on Verizon because of the release of the Galaxy Nexus release. This would obviously be the most expensive option though.

green_zx7r
Mon Apr 16th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Sorry, had the wrong phone in mind on HTC Rezound... That is a 4G phone with a smaller 4.3 in screen (compared to Galaxy Nexus or Razr)... I was thinking of the HTC Rhyme which is a 3G phone...

Haven't heard much about the Rezound except for the fact that it's a solid phone and it comes with Beats audio (which already parted ways with HTC this year). People seem to like this phone. HTC always makes good quality phones, but apparently this phone didn't do so hot against the Motorola Razr on battery life and overall performance. Since the Razr is not great already on battery life, I'd be cautious on getting this...

mdub
Mon Apr 16th, 2012, 04:45 PM
i am really close in getting a cell phone. one i might get ::Samsung GALAXY Note Android Phone

Ezzzzy1
Mon Apr 16th, 2012, 05:28 PM
i am really close in getting a cell phone. one i might get ::Samsung GALAXY Note Android Phone

If I were you I would start here like the rest of us :lol:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/Ezzzzy1/Motorola-Flip-Phone.gif

mdub
Mon Apr 16th, 2012, 05:31 PM
i'm a big ballah. my first phone was

http://www.retrobrick.com/8000grey3.jpg

1000 dollars back in the day..hahaha

sag
Mon Apr 16th, 2012, 07:03 PM
dont forget to hold all of them first. you might find you prefer one over another based on size alone. consider where you keep it mostly. my droid x sometimes feels awful in my pocket, especially when it slides sideways.

josh8667
Tue Apr 17th, 2012, 12:24 AM
I am due for an upgrade as well, but I have been looking at the rumors of a "Droid Fighter", which might become the Droid Razr HD, and I think I'm going to hold off until that comes out.

Supposedly they thought it would get released April 12th, but I guess that didn't happen. Rumors have suggested a better processor, better screen, same battery as the Razr Maxx, and already including the new Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" system. Nothing is set in stone though, so I don't know how long I'll be waiting.

http://androidcommunity.com/droid-razr-hd-aka-droid-fighter-spotted-in-exif-data-20120416/

LambeauXLIV
Tue Apr 17th, 2012, 03:19 AM
If rooting and loading custom ROM's is your thing, I'd say go with either the Nexus or Rezound...

Although there is a good community build up around the Razr, with its locked bootloader, the full potential of the phone can't be used.

BUT, if battery life is your thing, go with the Maxx (what I have). With light to moderate usage, it'll easily last 36+ hours.

Another thing to note, the Tegra 3 processor seems to be rocking all the tests, but isn't available on any phones here yet (I think). It may be worth waiting for.

Clovis
Tue Apr 17th, 2012, 04:02 AM
Too bad you've cut out iPhones. I bought the 4 almost 2 years ago and still love. Best phone I've ever had! And I've had a ton of them.

The virtual keyboard is pretty slick.

Ghosty
Tue Apr 17th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Rumors have suggested a better processor, better screen, same battery as the Razr Maxx, and already including the new Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" system. Nothing is set in stone though, so I don't know how long I'll be waiting.
Nice, might have to wait to see how that one is, since I'll keep it for a couple years, like I have with my Droid-X.

green_zx7r
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Here ya go Vance.
Amazon wireless selling Galaxy Nexus to new customers for $50! (http://www.droid-life.com/2012/04/18/amazon-wireless-selling-galaxy-nexus-for-50-to-new-customers/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DroidLife+%28droid+life%29&utm_content=FaceBook)

That is a damn good deal. I love the Galaxy Nexus. At this point, this is your best bang for the buck in my opinion...

CaptGoodvibes
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Yes. I like mine quite a bit. The physical keyboard comes in handy at times (like ssh sessions into servers).

What are the odds I'd be able to do emergency php/MySQL development with a Droid 4? Is there a programmer's editor/IDE?

dirkterrell
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 09:03 PM
What are the odds I'd be able to do emergency php/MySQL development with a Droid 4? Is there a programmer's editor/IDE?

Touchqode is pretty decent. You can open and edit remote files (ftp or sftp) pretty easily.

mistykz
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 10:12 PM
I used to prefer physical keyboards, but after I switched to a large screen (I have the Galaxy Nexus as well) I just don't need the physical keys because it's so easy. Also be sure to check out the Swiftkey keyboard, I absolutely love it.

The main downside to my Nexus is definitely the battery life...it's not exactly stellar. The Razr MAXX definitely wins in that department. Other than that zero complaints. Just go in to the store and hold everything, see what you like the most. Just remember that you get what you pay for in phone land :)

Keyser Soze
Thu Apr 19th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I've had the Rezound. The latest HTC sense is smooth and easy to get used to. The true HD display is awesome. Should be getting ready for ICS too. I currently have the Galaxy Nexus running ICS. Super Amoled screen seems to be a little crisper than the rezound. ICS is pretty bad ass. So far I'm diggin it. Tough to say which one I like better.

CBR-Cowboy
Thu Apr 19th, 2012, 09:29 AM
windows 8 phone is suppose to be out in oct, are those going to be any good?

Keyser Soze
Thu Apr 19th, 2012, 10:28 AM
windows 8 phone is suppose to be out in oct, are those going to be any good?

I've never heard anything good about the windows phones. IMO a lot like RIM. No way they can compete with Android and Apple.

Vance
Wed May 16th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Okay,

So I pulled the trigger on the MAXX...
I've barely touched it and already I'm impressed by the speed.

So now the question is --- APPS.
What are some legitimately good / useful Android apps out there?

I prefer free (since I'm now on my 3rd smart phone and still never paid for one yet)... but I'm willing to entertain worthy expenses.

TFOGGuys
Thu May 17th, 2012, 10:54 AM
If it doedn't already have it, get shoutout or another voice to text app