PDA

View Full Version : wanna track your speeds and lean angles??

Jesterbass21
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Pirelli has released an app for both Iphone and Android called Diablo Super Biker and its pretty Legit. in the settings you put in your bike hit the button put it back in your pocket and start riding. Gives you a graph of your speeds above a graph of your lean angles along with a map of where you rode.

Just thought I would share.

daemon
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 11:27 AM
sweet

Bueller
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Tried this @ IMI last week and let's just say the track function is not very accurate.

vort3xr6
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Tried this @ IMI last week and let's just say the track function is not very accurate.

Lol I bet. IMI being so small, the GPS probably had no idea where you were. Phone GPS operate at fraction of the capability of a true garmin.

Bueller
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Lol I bet. IMI being so small, the GPS probably had no idea where you were. Phone GPS operate at fraction of the capability of a true garmin.

It has a frequency adjustment but the speeds and some of the lean angles were a bit farfetched

Graphite675
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 11:42 AM

Yeah, all of those phone "track" and "lap timer" apps are nothing more then a novelty. The hardware in the phone is just not accurate enough to give you good data for something like that.

rybo
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 11:59 AM
It's not so much about the phone not being able to do the work accurately, it's more that the phone's CPU gets called on to do other stuff all the time, so it puts this data acquisition function "on hold" until it does those other things, like check your email, text messages etc.

There are some really good dedicated units out there that do this kind of thing - the XT Racing GPX Pro is an exceptional unit and for what it really does, is pretty reasonably priced.

Bueller
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I have compared my times on my OG DROID against thr MRA timing and it has been fairly accurate. I have mine mounted up on my instrument cluste0
r so it has line of site and it works pretty good . And you can analyze speeds thought corners. Lean angle is a neat thing but I don't worry until shit starts dragging.

Bueller
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 12:08 PM
It's not so much about the phone not being able to do the work accurately, it's more that the phone's CPU gets called on to do other stuff all the time, so it puts this data acquisition function "on hold" until it does those other things, like check your email, text messages etc.

There are some really good dedicated units out there that do this kind of thing - the XT Racing GPX Pro is an exceptional unit and for what it really does, is pretty reasonably priced.

I put mine in airplaine mode and that eliminates updates and wireless activity.
I have two left from our previous upgrade so my cheap ass will deal with the minor inacururacies and use what works for me until I feel I need more.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Yeah, all of those phone "track" and "lap timer" apps are nothing more then a novelty. The hardware in the phone is just not accurate enough to give you good data for something like that.

Not just that, but since the phone is in your pocket instead of being hard-mounted to the bike.

For true accuracy, I don't believe GPS is accurate enough. I belive the Pi and other data recorders use precision (perhaps even laser/optical) gyro's and accellerometers hard-mounted to the bike/car.

asp_125
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 01:27 PM
I just tried out Gearzy at lunch. Pretty neat app, I can analyze my route and speed to Einstein's ;)

Bueller
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I can't get Gearzy to work right, I didn't spend a ton of time but my other one works well enough.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/p480x480/551265_2906408269163_1529225193_32335650_638518379 _n.jpg

Ghost
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 01:41 PM
I can't get Gearzy to work right, I didn't spend a ton of time but my other one works well enough.

yeah, I tried then uninstalled it as well.

What's the one you've got pictured?

asp_125
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Looks like GPSLaps.

Ghost
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Looks like GPSLaps.

Cool, I'll check it out, thanks!

Bueller
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Yes GPSLaps is my favorite chronosgps is another I have used but I like this display better.

mastap07
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 02:34 PM
saweet! ill have to try this heading into work!

Wrider
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 02:34 PM
I've been playing with the Pirelli app, and it seems to be fairly accurate with speeds. Lean angles also seem to be accurate on my Stratosphere. Dragging boot produces a lean angle around 37 degrees on it.

Ghost
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I've been playing with the Pirelli app, and it seems to be fairly accurate with speeds. Lean angles also seem to be accurate on my Stratosphere. Dragging boot produces a lean angle around 37 degrees on it.

Do you have your phone mounted on your bike or just in your pocket?

Wrider
Thu Apr 19th, 2012, 07:55 AM
It was in my pocket. I thought about that, and made sure I wasn't doing any extra leaning or hanging off the bike or anything. Tried to remain as still on the bike as I could.