PDA

View Full Version : Parking A motorcycle inside

grim
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 03:42 PM
So the fire Dept came by and said that Our motorcycle cannot be parked inside our shop as per 2009 Denver Fire Code 313.1.

Normally this would make sense to me because the motorcycle has gas which is a combustible and is dangerous, however my shop has other and more flammable combustibles than gas and a lot of them.

I have been searching for something that states to the affect if there are already combustibles that are highly flammable than a motor vehicle that is not in operation is allowed to be inside the building as well. I cant even find code 313.1 let alone the one im looking for.

Has anyone had an issue like this or know what the code really states?

vort3xr6
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 03:45 PM
PM casey dragos. He is a fireman and might be able to better explain.

asp_125
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Probably based off NFPA fire codes. Unless the structure is built expressly for vehicle storage, to store a vehicle it must have the battery disconnected, fuel openings closed, and less than Xgal of fuel in it. Meant to cover cases like displaying a car in a mall or hotel lobby etc.

My last project we had diesel compressors in a building, so I had a chance to scan the codes.

grim
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Probably based off NFPA fire codes. Unless the structure is built expressly for vehicle storage, to store a vehicle it must have the battery disconnected, fuel openings closed, and less than Xgal of fuel in it. Meant to cover cases like displaying a car in a mall or hotel lobby etc.

My last project we had diesel compressors in a building, so I had a chance to scan the codes.

What if there are other combustibles in the building though?

vort3xr6
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Two wrongs don't make a right..... :)

Bueller
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 05:21 PM
International Fire Code (IFC)
SECTION 313 FUELED EQUIPMENT

313.1 General.

Fueled equipment, including but not limited to motorcycles, mopeds, lawn-care equipment and portable cooking equipment, shall not be stored, operated or repaired within a building.

Exceptions:

1. Buildings or rooms constructed for such use in accordance with the International Building Code. 2. Where allowed by Section 314. 3. Storage of equipment utilized for maintenance purposes is allowed in approved locations when the aggregate fuel capacity of the stored equipment does not exceed 10 gallons (38 L) and the building is equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1.

Ghost
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Park it outside, Grim. :p

grim
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Park it outside, Grim. :p

Yea and I will time it to see how fast it's gone.

Ghost
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Yea and I will time it to see how fast it's gone.

http://www.extremesupply.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/600x600/kryptonite/kryptonite_880chain_padlock.jpg

+

http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/shotgun/sh17/rem870mcs_18.jpg

mdub
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 07:26 PM
i thought you have a gated section there?

Hoot
Wed Apr 18th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Tsk tsk.... The universe is having fun with irony and Grim right now... Just yesterday he was telling us no one could jack stuff from inside his building, now the MAN says he can't have his bike in the building.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Apr 20th, 2012, 03:56 PM
As far as fuel storage, it's safest to keep the gas tanks FULLY filled. While this at first sounds more dangerous, it's actually a lot safer. I learned this from the mechanics out at the airfield where I worked and they'd bring in the F4 Phantoms ad F86's filled to the brim with fuel because if the tank is partially empty, there are vapors in there which are not only a LOT easier to ignite, but also explode as opposed to the fuel burning at a slower rate and being a lot harder to ignite. ;)

Dr. Joe Siphek
Fri Apr 20th, 2012, 04:17 PM
I'll rent you an 8'x20' storage container grim :D

My back hurts
Mon Apr 30th, 2012, 05:49 PM
As far as fuel storage, it's safest to keep the gas tanks FULLY filled. While this at first sounds more dangerous, it's actually a lot safer. I learned this from the mechanics out at the airfield where I worked and they'd bring in the F4 Phantoms ad F86's filled to the brim with fuel because if the tank is partially empty, there are vapors in there which are not only a LOT easier to ignite, but also explode as opposed to the fuel burning at a slower rate and being a lot harder to ignite. ;)

+1 fumes are THE ONLY WAY gasoline will ignite, liquid gasoline will not burn, at all. I kept my r6 in my apt in arizona, after someone tried to steal it one night. Thank you steering lock. no-one bitched tho. I even partied with our security guy and he didnt say anything.