PDA

View Full Version : CompTIA certs

3D
Fri Apr 20th, 2012, 02:51 PM
I'm looking at getting my A+, Network + and Security + certifications and was looking at New Horizons to get it done at. Has anyone went through these guys to get their certs? I was going to try University of Phoenix, but when I spoke to them they said they only do classes to prepare you for the test. They don't provide actual testing. I'm looking for a place that will provide the training and testing for the certs. Any info on these guys or anywhere else is appreciated.

laspariahs
Fri Apr 20th, 2012, 04:32 PM
I'm looking at getting my A+, Network + and Security + certifications and was looking at New Horizons to get it done at. Has anyone went through these guys to get their certs? I was going to try University of Phoenix, but when I spoke to them they said they only do classes to prepare you for the test. They don't provide actual testing. I'm looking for a place that will provide the training and testing for the certs. Any info on these guys or anywhere else is appreciated.

When I got an A+ I just read the study books, I passed easily. It wasn't hard at all really. Perhaps just try it that way, get a book and study? The books are about 30 dollars, I'm sure that it is WAY cheaper that way than taking some class.

Sarge
Fri Apr 20th, 2012, 04:50 PM
I took all three of those back in August of last year, and still have all of the books. They were talking about updating the A+ exam numbers at least, but I think the other two are still current.

Honestly, they were pretty easy, just studying on your own should do it (at least if you already know a thing or two about computers) and there are plenty of free online resources to help you out.

Of the three though, I recommend you spend the most time studying actual CompTIA information about the Network+ exam materials. CompTIA is very picky about their way when it comes to some of the verbage and answers in all three of these tests, but in my experience Network+ was the worst of them. A+ should be cake, and Security+ isn't bad at all, just make sure you study a bit before the test on actual CompTIA material.

3D
Fri Apr 20th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I took all three of those back in August of last year, and still have all of the books. They were talking about updating the A+ exam numbers at least, but I think the other two are still current.

Honestly, they were pretty easy, just studying on your own should do it (at least if you already know a thing or two about computers) and there are plenty of free online resources to help you out.

Of the three though, I recommend you spend the most time studying actual CompTIA information about the Network+ exam materials. CompTIA is very picky about their way when it comes to some of the verbage and answers in all three of these tests, but in my experience Network+ was the worst of them. A+ should be cake, and Security+ isn't bad at all, just make sure you study a bit before the test on actual CompTIA material.

I'm pretty familiar with it all. I was 25U but did a 25B job my last 7 years of Army. I got out as they were making it mandatory to have CompTIA certs for the MOS. Before that, being in the army, they didn't care if you had certs or not. Doing it this way sounds a bit cheaper and easier. I'll probably do this.... Thanks for the insight.