PDA

View Full Version : Apartment dwellers, where do you wash your bikes?

CaptGoodvibes
Sun Apr 22nd, 2012, 07:19 AM
There is no hose or faucet here. I've tried the pump pesticide type of container with just clean water but it's very lacking. The self-serve car wash is too high pressure; I think.

Any ideas where I can do this?

Bueller
Sun Apr 22nd, 2012, 07:24 AM
Car wash, just stay away from bearing seals and chain with any direct pressure.

This is what I have done for years and now I use my own pressure washer @ home.

Wrider
Sun Apr 22nd, 2012, 07:43 AM
Yup, what Bueller said. I will re-iterate however, direct pressure on seals (like fork seals), bearings (wheel/head), and chain (come on, really?) is bad. Otherwise make sure you don't get too close and blow the bike over. I've seen it... lol

madvlad
Sun Apr 22nd, 2012, 07:55 AM
Yep, just keep distance. Also try to avoid electrical water exposure for prolongued time so just keep spraying quickly, stay away from the intake/ram opening areas, wouldn't want to aquaman your engine lol and last but not least let your motor cool for a few before you start washing, heard of people cracking the block cause of this.

tecknojoe
Sun Apr 22nd, 2012, 08:33 AM
I just walk down to my garage with a tupperware container of hot water and 2 rags. I have considered buying a super soaker

Mother Goose
Sun Apr 22nd, 2012, 08:37 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31sNCxxMVML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

vort3xr6
Sun Apr 22nd, 2012, 08:40 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31sNCxxMVML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

mmmmmm. Just ask Zach. I love that shit. Use it as cologne. Bitches love cologne.

CaptGoodvibes
Sun Apr 22nd, 2012, 08:42 AM
I usually ride in the rain a lot and lube the chain when I get home. So the bike is mostly pretty clean. But it's been sitting for months and right now, the wheels are black - should be gold - so my setup isn't going to work. I'll try the self-serve wash over by Flatirons Mall. Continuous movement of the nozzle, not too close. Avoid hammering the fork seals, hubs, chain, electronics. No wax :p

I'll take a couple microfiber cloths and hope for the best.

I have seen self-serve washes that had high and low pressure settings but I'm not sure where or when.

veteran_80
Sun Apr 22nd, 2012, 08:55 AM
I always use the spot free rinse setting. Very low pressure especially if you don't squeeze the trigger.

spdu4ia
Sun Apr 22nd, 2012, 09:24 AM
yea never sqeeze the trigger and just spray the tank,tail, and wheels and the spray will get on the other places... then Just wipe it all down and you should be good.

longrider
Sun Apr 22nd, 2012, 09:48 AM
I do not understand the paranoia over car washes, I have used car washes for 30 years with no issues whatsoever. I do pull the trigger, just dont get real close and as many have stated keep away from bearings and seals. The only places you really have access to are wheel, swingarm, and steering bearings along with fork and shock seals plus brake calipers. Everything else is concealed where you could not get to it anyway. The pressure wont hurt anything else unless you are a couple inches away

CaptGoodvibes
Sun Apr 22nd, 2012, 10:18 AM
Sure I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough? :p

Penadam
Sun Apr 22nd, 2012, 11:07 AM
Who washes their bikes?

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/381181_10100938875238428_13704727_63549778_1627742 076_n.jpg
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/405478_10101110336029628_13704727_64264976_1052090 855_n.jpg

OK, I did wash it after that second one.

R6Phreak
Thu May 9th, 2013, 11:47 AM
I'm paranoid enough about pressure washes after my buddy went to one and caused his throttle to stick wide open while riding. Supposedly confirmed by the mechanic. Even if this wasn't the cause, ill just stick to what I use since its not worth the risk...I just use the stuff in a can and a couple microfiber rags that is for "washing" without water.

R6Phreak
Thu May 9th, 2013, 11:48 AM
I always use the spot free rinse setting. Very low pressure especially if you don't squeeze the trigger.

Seems like the only smart way to wash at a pressure washer. I have done this. Good call.

Grim2.0
Thu May 9th, 2013, 11:53 AM
This was in 2012 Bikes now a days wash themselves.

Sully
Thu May 9th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Or just wait and go to one of the bike nights where they have the bikini bike wash :eyebrows: :boobies: :yes: :D

asp_125
Thu May 9th, 2013, 12:18 PM
.. what she said! :up:

When I lived in an apartment, bucket and sponge did the trick. Also used spray degreaser on the really cruddy parts beforehand. Simple Green on the not so greasy parts.

Honda Brite, or Pledge, between washes.

Or.. you have a rain suit don't you? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ltzmlKiREk

teamextreme
Thu May 9th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Do you have a washer/dryer? I live in a condo and don't have a hose bib outside, so I added a tee fitting to the cold water line going to my washer with a faucet/valve on it. I connect a garden hose to that and run it outside whenever I need to wash cars/bikes, etc.

asp_125
Thu May 9th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Do you have a washer/dryer? I live in a condo and don't have a hose bib outside, so I added a tee fitting to the cold water line going to my washer with a faucet/valve on it. I connect a garden hose to that and run it outside whenever I need to wash cars/bikes, etc.

Brilliant! Though I have images of 50ft of hose snaking down a stairwell or dangling from a 3rd floor window. :lol:

CaptGoodvibes
Thu May 9th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Or just wait and go to one of the bike nights where they have the bikini bike wash :eyebrows: :boobies: :yes: :D

I can't ride to bike nights except for the ones at coffee houses(are there any anymore). Someone has to drive me home. :p