PDA

View Full Version : Damn Moths

Drano
Mon Apr 23rd, 2012, 10:02 PM
I've lived here since 2008 and I can't remember seeing this many moths in the springtime. I'm finding and killing around 20 a night in my house. Annoying little buggers! :sniper:

madvlad
Mon Apr 23rd, 2012, 10:06 PM
Aerosol can + lighter = ftw!

#1Townie
Mon Apr 23rd, 2012, 10:07 PM
Shop light over a bowl of soapy water.

neh
Mon Apr 23rd, 2012, 10:09 PM
Find the holes in your house and seal them up.

grim
Mon Apr 23rd, 2012, 10:16 PM
It's really bad this year, it's becuase it's been so dry. I told my wife make damn sure you don't leave any doors open, there's over 100 flying around my damn house.

asp_125
Mon Apr 23rd, 2012, 10:18 PM
Miller moth season again. I remember some years it was really bad. They get attracted to indoor lights, so yes while the lamp over a soapy water dish works to an extent, the light attracts them indoors. Better if your lamp is in an outbuilding or garage. I hate them with a passion. They're harmless but the thought of a bunch of them fluttering around in the bedroom while I sleep gives me the heebee-jeebees.

JonnyD
Mon Apr 23rd, 2012, 10:24 PM
Never have I wanted a lightsaber so badly as moth season:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBI1ddZvD70

Am I missing something being so close to the mountains? I haven't seen any yet!

longrider
Mon Apr 23rd, 2012, 10:29 PM
I dont think its the mountains, I am well east of town and have only seen a few

big53lee
Mon Apr 23rd, 2012, 10:32 PM
Was riding sat night. Next morning, stuck to my spiked windscreen bolt. Was a teradactle sized mothafuka! Couldn't believe how big!

asp_125
Mon Apr 23rd, 2012, 10:34 PM
Miller moths migrate from the eastern plains up to the high mountains each spring. Then in the fall it's the reverse. Depending on where the swarms pass you may see some, or none.

Wrider
Tue Apr 24th, 2012, 12:34 AM
Yeah, it seems to be a decent season so far. I remember when I was a kid and we'd open the screen door to have 20 or so fall onto your head. The next morning you'd make damned sure to remember to open the door and step back quickly.

The soapy water works well. Personally my favorite eradication method is an airsoft gun. Safe enough to shoot inside (the cheap quality ones of course), and the inaccuracy of said cheap ones makes it a good challenge to hit them from across the room!

mdub
Tue Apr 24th, 2012, 04:38 AM
Not bad in my neck of da woods. When I see one I get daughter's bearded dragon. loves'em....

rforsythe
Tue Apr 24th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Get a cat. Nature's moth hunter.

Bueller
Tue Apr 24th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Get a cat. Nature's moth hunter.
Until they eat too many :puke:

This year has not even been close to some past years. I have had screens nearly covered in the years past.