PDA

View Full Version : Rider Down

dm_gsxr
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 07:14 AM
A friend from work had a serious accident, probably on his way home from work last night and is in the ICU. White GSXR 600. We just got the word from work but no details.

Maybe this one?

http://www.timescall.com/news/longmont-local-news/ci_20482636/biker-flown-hospital-after-i-25-crash

Carl

Sean
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Hope he's okay, Carl! :up:

BC14
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Ouch, but could've been MUCH worse, since he was vs. a car AND truck... Hope he heals up :up:

dm_gsxr
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Well, we know from the bosses e-mail that it's not life-threatening. He wears a helmet and jacket as well as boots so his legs might be a little beat up. Location is about right for his ride to Ft Collins as is the time. It might be an on-ramp injury vs an at speed freeway accident.

Thanks.

Carl

asp_125
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Sorry to hear, Carl. Hope if it's him, he recovers quickly.

dirkterrell
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Wishing him a speedy recovery, Carl.

GuitarX
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Not good, very sorry to hear this. I hope he heals quickly.

dm_gsxr
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 09:35 AM
More details.

Two broken arms, fractured vertebra (T7 I think the boss said), and a burn on his leg. Going in for surgery on the arms.

Trying to reconstruct what could have caused this kind of injury. Running into the back of a stopped vehicle and then being rear ended (based on two vehicles plus the bike in the news article).

I'm thinking someone was merging into 25 and decided to stop and he and the car behind him wasn't paying attention and ran into the stopped SUV. Or possibly at the light and wasn't positioned correctly and one of the vehicles ran into the back of his stopped bike?

Again, trying to understand how it occurred.

Carl

grim
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 09:40 AM
More details.

Two broken arms, fractured vertebra (T7 I think the boss said), and a burn on his leg. Going in for surgery on the arms.

Trying to reconstruct what could have caused this kind of injury. Running into the back of a stopped vehicle and then being rear ended (based on two vehicles plus the bike in the news article).

I'm thinking someone was merging into 25 and decided to stop and he and the car behind him wasn't paying attention and ran into the stopped SUV. Or possibly at the light and wasn't positioned correctly and one of the vehicles ran into the back of his stopped bike?

Again, trying to understand how it occurred.

Carl

That's no fun but its better than having your life taken from you, hope he has a speedy recovery.

SIMONSEZ23
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 09:49 AM
what is the riders name that got in the accident it says the bike was from johnstown and was seeing if i may know him since i live in johnstown

Slo
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Damn, hope he recovers soon.

dm_gsxr
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Ken Hobbs

dm_gsxr
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Damn, hope he recovers soon.

Broken arms? 6 to 8 weeks maybe assuming no complications of course. He had two payments left on the bike and was planning on selling it. I'd heard to get a bigger one but one of the other guys said he was planning on getting a beater pickup.

Carl

Nick_Ninja
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Riding a motorcycle and getting into a wreck can change your life forever. Hope his life doesn't change that much from what it was pre accident. Best wishes.

dm_gsxr
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 12:46 PM
One of the Directors wives arrived at the accident after it happened but before the EMTs arrived and said they were trying to pull him and his bike out from under one of the vehicles and that one of the drivers was cited (so not his fault). It would explain the burned leg if he was trapped under the bike.

Carl

asp_125
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Well if they flew him to Denver Health he's in good hands. Good bunch of orthpedic surgeons there. They bolted and plated me back together to normal :rolleyes:

Ghosty
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Sorry to hear, sounds painful! Glad he's alive though, wish him a speedy recovery.

dm_gsxr
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 02:00 PM
More information.

He's in good spirits; drugged up of course.

Both his upper arms are broken. His lower arms are shattered though.

He said he was on 25 and someone was changing lanes and lost control, spinning out but during the spin, Ken was caught and pulled under, then dragged for 70 or so feet.

Carl

grim
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 02:03 PM
More information.

He's in good spirits; drugged up of course.

Both his upper arms are broken. His lower arms are shattered though.

He said he was on 25 and someone was changing lanes and lost control, spinning out but during the spin, Ken was caught and pulled under, then dragged for 70 or so feet.

Carl

That is a damn shame, one of those "there's nothing you can do but hope for the best" moments.

Ghost
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Bummer man, hope he has a speedy recovery.

dm_gsxr
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Yea, he's joking about who's going to be helping him in the bathroom for the next couple of months, so he's in good spirits. :)

Carl

Jmetz
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Wow. Good luck to him. I'm sure he's just glad he wasn't killed.

Ghosty
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 02:22 PM
WOW! And on I-25, that's some scary shit. Lucky fella.

asp_125
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Yea, he's joking about who's going to be helping him in the bathroom for the next couple of months, so he's in good spirits. :)

Carl

Morphine is good drugs!

GuitarX
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 03:44 PM
HOLY SH!T!!!!! I can't even imagine going through that

Ghost
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 03:52 PM

Carl

One of my friends broke both hands and both wrists in an accident about 10yrs ago.

Unfortunately, the name "shit fist" has stuck ever since because we all joked that he'd have to wipe with the back of his fist since the casts and braces kept his fingers from fully flexing enough to wipe...

Not that your friend needs to hear that. ;)