PDA

View Full Version : Did All Tape Players Skip to Next Song?

bulldog
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Ok, help settle a friendly argument at my work. :D

Did All Tape Players Skip to Next Song? Meaning you could hit the fast forward button and it would stop at the beginning of the next song. Or did you hit fast foward and it kept going till you manually stopped it or it got to the end of the tape?

I can see that maybe this was a special feature that some tape players had, but I am being told all tape players did this since the 70’s.

grim
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 03:07 PM
I am about 95% sure it just kept going to the end of the tape unless you hit stop.

~Barn~
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 03:07 PM
No. Only newer-model tape players were able to recognize the "blank space" that allowed them to track skip.

Ezzzzy1
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 03:09 PM
No. Only newer-model tape players were able to recognize the "blank space" that allowed them to track skip.

I Second that motion

salsashark
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 03:13 PM

I Second that motion

yup...

I think the tape player in my truck does this... it's the only one I have. But, I don't have any tapes to test it out.

But, do you remember holding the play button half way down to hear a song in FF and wait for the blank spot between the songs?

brennahm
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I was poor...and born in 1983. NONE of my players ever did this.

fasterlaster
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Ok, help settle a friendly argument at my work. :D

Did All Tape Players Skip to Next Song? Meaning you could hit the fast forward button and it would stop at the beginning of the next song. Or did you hit fast foward and it kept going till you manually stopped it or it got to the end of the tape?

I can see that maybe this was a special feature that some tape players had, but I am being told all tape players did this since the 70’s.

I agree with everyone else. Back in the late 80's when I got my first CD play in my Jeep, it was one of the things I looked forward to, not having to pay attention when wanting to find a particular track. Your friend is full of shit.

bulldog
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Nice, I have four people over here telling me ALL tapes did this since the 70's! Like you guys said I never remember my tapes doing this and fast foward just kept going.

grim
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 03:28 PM
everything you need to know right here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Cassette

Vance
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Nope... I worked at Silo (anyone remember them?) for a while in the late 80s and the "skip forward" tape decks for cars wasn't a common place item except in higher end JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer decks and not until around '89 when Pioneer started putting it into their cheaper decks then the off brands like Emerson and such started copying the tech.

It was in the home deck units for a while before that... but not by much, and still typically only on the higher end units.

Ghost
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Same. Early tape players just fast-forwarded as long as you held the button down, only the more "recent" ones would stop at the gap between songs--which is why some mix tapes would screw it up if they were "gapless".

Airreed
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Nate- I remember my Dad had an 8-track in his car back in the day and you could push a button and it would push forward to next song....maybe they are thinking 8-tracks?

Ghosty
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Nice, I have four people over here telling me ALL tapes did this since the 70's! Like you guys said I never remember my tapes doing this and fast foward just kept going.
Who are these clowns? Of course not, that was a special feature on some models, later in the history of "cassette tape players". My old Onkyo was badass and expensive, so it did, but not many did before that.

I know nothing about 8-Tracks though...

mdub
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 03:38 PM
......and there were some models where you had an option to skip to the 1st,2nd, or 3rd tune ....

DorJammer
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 03:39 PM
8 tracks could switch to the next track, but not the next song, when they switched tracks they just went to the same place on the track 1 step down

Cassettes? Nope never saw one that could

bulldog
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 03:44 PM
everything you need to know right here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Cassette (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Cassette) I looked at that link but saw no mention of it. It is lengthy so didn't read it all. Did you find that one there Grim?

Nate- I remember my Dad had an 8-track in his car back in the day and you could push a button and it would push forward to next song....maybe they are thinking 8-tracks? That is actually how the argument started; I was saying how it was weird that 8 tracks did this but tapes didn't. That is when they started that all tapes had that feature.

grim
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I looked at that link but saw no mention of it. It is lengthy so didn't read it all. Did you find that one there Grim?

That is actually how the argument started; I was saying how it was weird that 8 tracks did this but tapes didn't. That is when they started that all tapes had that feature.

I did the same thing I got pretty far but then my eyes started to burn.

mxer
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 07:13 AM
What?? What players actually did that?

I also had minidisc player....it was suppose to be the next thing...sniff..

mdub
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 08:03 AM
I still have'em

asp_125
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 08:24 AM
I never had a skip forward tape deck until my Blaupunkt in the Jetta. I don't miss the weekends spent fishing that rats nest of cassette tape out of the dashboard.

I had a Walkman -> Discman -> MiniDisc. And then the first USB 8Gb memory stick players. So easy I can just stream Pandora on my phone now.

Mother Goose
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 08:39 AM
What's a tape player?? :think:

mdub
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 08:39 AM
I love my Touch. 32gb for tunes, podcasts, Internet, etc.

asp_125
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 08:47 AM
What's a tape player?? :think:

Hush, young'in & git off mah lawn!

Mother Goose
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Is it like one of those "record player" things?

FZRACE97
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 08:55 AM
I still have my yellow Sony Sports walkamn circa 1984.

Mother Goose
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 08:56 AM
I still have my yellow Sony Sports walkamn circa 1984.
The water proof one?! Lucky.....

FZRACE97
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 08:59 AM
The water proof one?! Lucky.....

Yup, that thing is near bullit proof, never ate a single tape either.
Just missing the original ear phones from my neighbor's dog eating them.

bulldog
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Was anyone as excited as I was when this adapter came out! I had a portable cd player, but no CD player in my car till that day :lol:
http://di1-2.shoppingshadow.com/images/pi/88/c0/00/106502940-260x260-0-0_eforcity+for+ipod+car+cassette+adapter+tape+cd+m d+.jpg

Then went all out and bought a car platform that had small shock absorbers (anti-skip cd players had not been invented yet)

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Cup-Holder-Car-Mount-Portable-DVD-VCR-MP3-CD-Player-/05/!B61tivQB2k~$(KGrHqIOKnMEy15K7Ib5BMyfjLMqFw~~-1_35.JPG

Then got crafty and drilled a small hole in my home tape player system for the wire to run through and suddenly I had a home CD player. That was basically when tapes went out for me :D

Funny now that I think about it because that cd player (old school Optimus; Radio Shack brand) took 8 AA batteries to run it! Spent a fortune on batteries till I got a cigarette power adapter :lol:

salsashark
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Was anyone as excited as I was when this adapter came out! I had a portable cd player, but no CD player in my car till that day :lol:
http://di1-2.shoppingshadow.com/images/pi/88/c0/00/106502940-260x260-0-0_eforcity+for+ipod+car+cassette+adapter+tape+cd+m d+.jpg

Then? Hell, I still use one of these in my truck... except I plug it in to my phone so I can stream pandora/slacker/mp3s :lol:

I keep telling myself that I need a new stereo for the truck, but I just don't drive it enough.

Then went all out and bought a car platform that had small shock absorbers (anti-skip cd players had not been invented yet)

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Cup-Holder-Car-Mount-Portable-DVD-VCR-MP3-CD-Player-/05/!B61tivQB2k~$(KGrHqIOKnMEy15K7Ib5BMyfjLMqFw~~-1_35.JPG

Yep... had one mounted on the transmission hump in my mustang in high school. worked great until the little rubber bushings started to wear out and every time you would take the cd player off, the top tray would come off with it.

bulldog
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Then? Hell, I still use one of these in my truck... except I plug it in to my phone so I can stream pandora/slacker/mp3s :lol:

I keep telling myself that I need a new stereo for the truck, but I just don't drive it enough.

Yep... had one mounted on the transmission hump in my mustang in high school. worked great until the little rubber bushings started to wear out and every time you would take the cd player off, the top tray would come off with it. Yup same thing happened to mine. Funny I still have it somewhere in storage along with that first cd player I got that still works!

Did you ever use the cd players bass boost to act like you had a thumpin system? I thought that was so cool at the time; flipped the switched and had double the bass in my car :lol:

asp_125
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 09:37 AM
I feel so old.....
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/jhall/blog/assets_c/2011/10/pencil-tape-thumb-400x342-99326.jpg

Ghosty
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 09:48 AM
I still have a bag full of DJ/Rave mix tapes from the 90's. It was fun being able to rock 'em out in the Supra, before I got a nice Alpine DVD in there instead. I've converted a few to MP3, need to do the rest. Sound quality though, hahaa, blech. No high-range crisp treble at all.

FZRACE97
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Is it live, or is it Memorex?

Ghost
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 09:54 AM
I feel so old.....
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/jhall/blog/assets_c/2011/10/pencil-tape-thumb-400x342-99326.jpg

Hehe, my 1995 z28 came with a tape deck that liked to eat tapes, so I had to keep a pencil in the glovebox.

#1Townie
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Haha best use of a pencil. I hated it when i couldnt find one and had to use my finger. Lol

Ghost
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Haha best use of a pencil. I hated it when i couldnt find one and had to use my finger. Lol

Those clear hard-plastic Bic pens worked well too since they had the same hexagonal shape as a pencil...do those pens even exist anymore?

bulldog
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Those clear hard-plastic Bic pens worked well too since they had the same hexagonal shape as a pencil...do those pens even exist anymore? Forgot what I used but had to do this on some VHS tapes to reel them back up too :lol:

grim
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I would use my Grandpa's drill :lol: much faster, untill the one time i forgot to let go and it snapped at the end, ruined my Ozzy tape.

#1Townie
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Those clear hard-plastic Bic pens worked well too since they had the same hexagonal shape as a pencil...do those pens even exist anymore?

Haha yeah good times. Or taking those really cheap mechanical pencils and turning them into little bb guns.

Ghost
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Forgot what I used but had to do this on some VHS tapes to reel them back up too :lol:

Magic Marker ftmfw.

Haha yeah good times. Or taking those really cheap mechanical pencils and turning them into little bb guns.

Lol, that too.

#1Townie
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Yeah but you had to put a little tape on it so it didnt make that snap sound. We called them silencers. Haha

grim
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Yeah but you had to put a little tape on it so it didnt make that snap sound. We called them silencers. Haha

You talking about when you would take a staple bend one angle straigt out then make the 90 degree angle into a 45 pull the tip off the pencil put the staple in and pull the back end?

:lol: good fucking times.

asp_125
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 12:59 PM
:lol: ... We used pins as blow darts.

grim
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 01:01 PM
:lol: ... We used pins as blow darts.

Also remember folding a piece of paper a million times forming it into a rectangle then bending it into a U and shooting it with a rubber band, werent they called Hornets, or stingers?

These are the weapons we will be using when the aliens take all of our guns.

bulldog
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Also remember folding a piece of paper a million times forming it into a rectangle then bending it into a U and shooting it with a rubber band, werent they called Hornets, or stingers?

These are the weapons we will be using when the aliens take all of our guns. Yeah! And if you wanted to be really mean you put a staple on the front part of that piece of paper or bent a paper clip in the middle of it.

We use to also twist two staples together to make spikes! Still remember my buddy threw a few on this girls chair and she put her knee on them.

grim
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Yeah! And if you wanted to be really mean you put a staple on the front part of that piece of paper or bent a paper clip in the middle of it.

We use to also twist two staples together to make spikes! Still remember my buddy threw a few on this girls chair and she put her knee on them.

Kids in the 80's and 90's were little fuckers but at least we weren't sucker punching people.

asp_125
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Kids in the 80's and 90's were little fuckers but at least we weren't sucker punching people.

.. and I remember kids making throwing stars and nunchucks in shop class :headbang:

Today we'd be arrested and expelled for bringing weapons into class.:gay:

mdub
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 02:32 PM
nunchucks , throwing stars hahaha

grim
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Since we are talking about tape players who remembers this?

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h54/irishrussianpunk/gcc/tumblr_m0yrj3T0X11qkgojuo1_500.jpg

grim
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Oh lordy

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h54/irishrussianpunk/gcc/tumblr_m04ncddDwP1qkgojuo1_500.jpg

bluedogok
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 09:04 PM
What?? What players actually did that?

I also had minidisc player....it was suppose to be the next thing...sniff..
RIAA killed that (and DAT) because of piracy concerns, the consumer models in the US had some onerous copy protection schemes on them. When I was in Tokyo in 1996 I went to some record stores and they had more Minidiscs than CD's, they also had stores where you could "rent" a CD or MD for a week like you could movies at Blockbuster.

I still have some 8-tracks and a bunch of cassettes.

Ghost
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 09:24 PM
RIAA killed that (and DAT) because of piracy concerns, the consumer models in the US had some onerous copy protection schemes on them. When I was in Tokyo in 1996 I went to some record stores and they had more Minidiscs than CD's, they also had stores where you could "rent" a CD or MD for a week like you could movies at Blockbuster.

I still have some 8-tracks and a bunch of cassettes.

It was still the same way when I was in Japan in 2001--and most cars came with dual MD/CD or even MD-only stock stereo head units.

mxer
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 09:35 PM
It was still the same way when I was in Japan in 2001--and most cars came with dual MD/CD or even MD-only stock stereo head units.

I had a MD deck in my old car:|