PDA

View Full Version : First Rain, So post up pointers for Noobs

AOK303
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Last year i knew it was going to happen so i asked for advice and got a lot of great tips from the people on here

Ridding home today for 30 min in rain wasn't bad but add the wind in and all the standing water and it was not great.

I gotta remember to put the plastic bag back under my seat for my phone there is my tip for noobs ill let more knowledgeable people post about riding tips

Ghosty
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 10:06 PM
I gotta remember to put the plastic back under my seat for my phone...
?

AOK303
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 10:09 PM
meant to write bag hahaha so my phone stays dry good catch

Jmetz
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Don't crash. Best tip I can offer.

3D
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Rode through boulder canyon august or september of last year and it started raining/hailing on me. I decided to keep rolling but man did it hurt. Damn hail was stinging through my jacket and gloves. Thought I'd share that little story....

When I ride in the rain I usually try to take it easy. If there is a car in front of me, I'll ride in it's tracks. That way I know if a puddle is coming up. I keep my insurance card in ziplock baggie so I'll just stick my phone and wallet in and put it back under the seat. I don't usually ride with a backpack to keep a rain suit in, so I just pretty much get wet. I don't mind being wet.

Ezzzzy1
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 10:24 PM

Aaaaand were done. Class dismissed! :lol:

AOK303
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 10:41 PM
oi i meant lane position and turning in standing water but yeah DONT CRASH is a major tip

vort3xr6
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Ride like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KycZk1M7g24

Jmetz
Thu Apr 26th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Balls.

Lomax
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Just remember that when it FIRST starts to rain, it floats a lot of the oils on the road and can make it slick. After it rains for a while this washes away but can still be slick.

Have proper gear and just take it easy.

Marc

Squisha
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 06:25 AM
Beware of wet leaves.

CBR-Cowboy
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 06:43 AM

Eh, I disagree with this! Crashing in the rain is the best time to crash, the water on the road cushions your fall, plus makes for a nice lubricant and you can slide a lot further. Like stated above, when it first starts raining the oil floats on top of the rain and makes it even more fun. Think of a wet road as a giant banana slide with obstacle like cars to avoid, unless you are done sliding then you can also use the cars to stop yourself.

CBR-Cowboy
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 07:16 AM
So I have a question about wind. I have read a few articles like the one i linked below but none really state any facts about how bikes handle wind. my question is, with all other things remaining the same. will the wind effect you less with you traveling at higher speeds then at lower speeds? I dont mean you will have lesser reaction time for cars and other stuff, i just want to know if I am doing 60 down a road and a gust of wind hits me, will it move me more then if i was doing 160? and dont say yes, because at 60 you will be in the gust of wind longer then you would be at 160...

I guess in my mind the faster you travel on a bike the more you are being pulled towards the ground, so wind will effect you less?

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/122_0604_motorcycle_riding_tips_wind_gusts/index.html

Ezzzzy1
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Beware of wet leaves.

And paint lines!

UglykidJoe
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Avoid starting your 40 mph stoppie on the painted white stripes of a crosswalk or intersection, they tend to get slickery after a rain.

LivingPools
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Handling crosswinds: http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=140
Weight & traction: http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=180

This guy is a curmudgeon, but his physics are unassailable.

Theres another tip on the site that explains how motorcycles become lighter as they travel faster. I couldn't explain it to save my life, but it seemed to make sense when I read it.

asp_125
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Avoid starting your 40 mph stoppie on the painted white stripes of a crosswalk or intersection, they tend to get slickery after a rain.

.. and manhole covers, metal plates or grates, polished concrete parking lots.

Ghosty
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 08:40 AM
What are some good rainsuits that compact down pretty good, and are pretty light? Nothing fancy obviously, but better than a Hefty bag, lol. Or even just some kinda plastic rain pants since my jacket is pretty good on it's own, for the little amount of rain we get here. If pants-only, maybe that could smash down enough to stuff into the seat-trunk?

meant to write bag hahaha so my phone stays dry good catch
Ah cool. Wasn't sure if you meant to say some kind of special nifty plastic box you can install for small stuff, haha.

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 08:45 AM
fortunately it never rains for long around these parts so just stop and swill a few at the nearest pub until it passes.

Ghosty
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Crashing in the rain is the best time to crash, the water on the road cushions your fall, plus makes for a nice lubricant and you can slide a lot further.
I'll have to disagree. The water on road does virtually zero to cushion any fall, unless you fall into a huge deep pond-size pothole which I doubt. Everything else you said is correct though, about sliding further, more distance to slow down instead of tumble. Just hopefully not too far, into barricade, or other car, etc. imo

Mother Goose
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Be as smooth as possible (controls, input on the bars and body movement). Stay loose & don't tense up.

Zach929rr
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Smooth

Add distance to other vehicles

Watch out for lines

I've come down Coal Creek at a decent clip in the monsoon-like rain before. If you haven't done rain, you are likely more scared about being in it than you should be. That is, unless it is dark out at the end of October and your dumbass forgot to pack the clear visor. That was a lovely experience.

CBR-Cowboy
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Theres another tip on the site that explains how motorcycles become lighter as they travel faster. I couldn't explain it to save my life, but it seemed to make sense when I read it.

thanks for the links. i was just talking to a co worker and he said its the same as planes, the faster you go the more lift under your bike so you are lighter on the tires...

so does anyone have a spoiler i can buy and mount on my bike...

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 09:39 AM
thanks for the links. i was just talking to a co worker and he said its the same as planes, the faster you go the more lift under your bike so you are lighter on the tires...

so does anyone have a spoiler i can buy and mount on my bike...

http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2010/06/26/motorcycle-with-jet-shaped-rear_i9YIO_3868.jpg

Titus
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Rain, sand, gravel, and oil all reduce the available traction of your front and rear wheel. To maximize traction while cornering you must maintain a 60/40 rear/front weight distribution. Good throttle control will do this.

When cornering, crack open the throttle as early as possible and open it smoothly & consistently through the rest of the turn. This settles the chassis & gives you the best 60/40 weight distribution.

Do not chop or close the throttle!!! If you chop the throttle, the weight gets transferred to the front wheel, reduces traction to the rear wheel, and is a major cause of crashing.

Chopping the throttle also compresses the front suspension out of its useful range, making bumps in the road feel much more harsh. It also decreases the rake angle of the front fork, making the bike feel much more "twitchy" and unstable.

As far as straight line acceleration & braking, you just have to be gentler with the controls because of the reduced traction.

Zviffer
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 09:46 AM
What are some good rainsuits that compact down pretty good, and are pretty light? Nothing fancy obviously, but better than a Hefty bag, lol. Or even just some kinda plastic rain pants since my jacket is pretty good on it's own, for the little amount of rain we get here. If pants-only, maybe that could smash down enough to stuff into the seat-trunk?

Being from the Pacific Northwest, I've done my share of riding in the rain. For longer rides, I use a rain-suit similar to this one (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stansport-Deluxe-PVC-Nylon-Rain-Suit-Blue/12456970?findingMethod=rr) over my riding pants and jacket; it's cheap, light and folds/rolls up tight for storage in a small tank/tail bag. If I'm wearing my summer boots that are not waterproof, I have been known to use a plastic shopping bag on each foot over the sock to keep my feet dry. Or, waterproof cycling shoe covers (http://www.rei.com/product/828586/pearl-izumi-pro-barrier-wxb-bike-shoe-covers) are a more elegant solution and will keep the boots dry as well. On short rides on which the chance of rain is forecasted to be only slight, I forgo the rain-suit and instead take a folded up disposable poncho in a tank bag. Worn over clothes but underneath a riding jacket, it will at least keep the core dry and warm. And of course, plastic shopping bags for the feet.

Ghosty
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 09:51 AM
I use a rain-suit similar to this one (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stansport-Deluxe-PVC-Nylon-Rain-Suit-Blue/12456970?findingMethod=rr) over my riding pants and jacket;

Or, waterproof cycling shoe covers (http://www.rei.com/product/828586/pearl-izumi-pro-barrier-wxb-bike-shoe-covers) are a more elegant solution and will keep the boots dry as well.
Nice, thanks! I'll need to get to a roadbike store and try those covers to see if L or XL fit best, over my Docs and Sketcher boots.

Titus
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 10:02 AM
For the wind, the biggest problem people have is that they hold the handlebars too tightly. When a gust of wind hits them, their upper body acts as a windsail and the wind steers the bike. Then they panic & hold the bars tighter, which exacerbates the problem.

The answer is to keep a light, loose grip on the bars. Your weight should be supported by your legs & abs, no weight should be on your hands. Your arms & hands should be loose enough to wiggle your fingers & flap your elbows like chicken wings.

CBR-Cowboy
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Ride like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KycZk1M7g24

That is some crazy stuff, i don't even ride like that on dry ground...

Samko
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Just tuck in and go flat out ! You won't get as wet. Hahahahahah

chasemr2
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Gear, gear, gear! I think you should be able to concentrate on what's going on around you instead of worrying about what 75mph in the rain while wearing a shirt feels like. I ride my bike in anything but snow and the only serious problem I ever encounter is not being able to see clearly out of my helmet, but obviously a quick wipe usually takes care of that....or I've also found you can just ride much faster and the wind will eventually blow it off :)

FZRguy
Sat Apr 28th, 2012, 08:10 PM
I found myself in Alaska with non-waterproof boots (rest of my gear was good to go). Trash bags and duct tape worked surprisingly well. Best for when you know ur gonna get wet.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d105/mcqueenj/AK6.jpg

Samko
Sat Apr 28th, 2012, 08:27 PM
I found myself in Alaska with non-waterproof boots (rest of my gear was good to go). Trash bags and duct tape worked surprisingly well. Best for when you know ur gonna get wet.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d105/mcqueenj/AK6.jpg

Well if you want to get creative you can get a can of "undercoating" for cars, than spray your gear with it :up:

Than when you get of the bike your gear will stay in riding position forever !!!

FZRguy
Sat Apr 28th, 2012, 08:42 PM
I rode 110 miles of gravel road in the rain and my boots were squeaky clean and dry after cutting the bags/duct tape off. My mind/body was quite trashed however.