PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed: 2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Rated at 662 hp, 631 lb-ft!

Keyser Soze
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 06:09 PM
http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/2013-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT500-1021-626x382.jpg

The $54,995 2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 will have 662 hp and 631 lb-ft of torque according to SAE ratings released by Ford today—eclipsing the 650 hp and 600 lb-ft the company originally estimated. We’d love to make an analogy to demonstrate what an obscene amount of power and torque this is, but the GT500 is the analogy. Should you ever find yourself swatting flies with rocket-propelled grenades, you might say, introspectively, “Gee, I really did a GT500 on that one.”

Let’s just stick to other cars for context, then. Ford says that the GT500′s supercharged 5.8-liter V-8 is now the most powerful production V-8 in the world. We’ll leave it to you to decide if you want to stretch the definition of “production” to include some of the European tuning houses that work over and rebadge German sedans. But there’s this: The GT500 tops the Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG by 99 hp. It beats the mighty Cadillac CTS-V by 106. For heaven’s sake, the GT500 has 232 more horsepower than does the base Corvette. Even the gladiatorial Vette ZR1 falls shy, at 638 hp and 604 lb-ft. Besides the ZR1, these cars aren’t really the GT500′s intended competition, but the extent to which the GT500 tops these cars, rightly thought of as extremely powerful, is shocking. The most direct competitor to the GT500 is the Chevy Camaro ZL1, which has a supercharged V-8 good for 580 hp and 556 lb-ft.

The rest...

http://blog.caranddriver.com/confirmed-2013-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-rated-at-662-hp-631-lb-ft/

madvlad
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Hope the handling will improve too lol

mxer
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 07:05 PM
That's nuts for the price. Sounds like a solid rear axle though. 0-60 in first gear!

Zanatos
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 07:28 PM
I wonder what Chevy is going to put in the 2013 Carmao ZL1 in response to Ford's crazy horsepower.

If I ever get insanely wealthy, I'll buy one of each.

#1Townie
Fri Apr 27th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Can i have one of each as well?

mathman1000
Sat Apr 28th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Love the blue, but it's still a Mustang.....sadly. Does that horse power do anything for car besides propelling it in a straight line?

Hibs
Sat Apr 28th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Love the blue, but it's still a Mustang.....sadly. Does that horse power do anything for car besides propelling it in a straight line?

They say its supposed to be the first production mustang to be able to run 200mph....

They way i look at it, its a straight line, drag racing, top speed, Friday night cruise the strip freakin rocket. That can still handle "descent" and has all the luxuries of a new car. The majority of people buying a mustang or any newer sports car for that matter are more apt to racing between stoplights, doing highway roll ons, and parking lot burnouts vs taking it to a road course doing track days. I think Ford built it perfectly.

mathman1000
Sat Apr 28th, 2012, 09:30 AM
They way i look at it, its a straight line, drag racing, top speed, Friday night cruise the strip freakin rocket. That can still handle "descent" and has all the luxuries of a new car. The majority of people buying a mustang or any newer sports car for that matter are more apt to racing between stoplights, doing highway roll ons, and parking lot burnouts vs taking it to a road course doing track days. I think Ford built it perfectly.

Totally understand your point, and seeing your sig picture I understand why you think it's perfect. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

RCStylin'
Sat Apr 28th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Totally understand your point, and seeing your sig picture I understand why you think it's perfect. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Have you driven one of the new mustangs? I drove one up and over the hill from Sonoma to the Napa Valley and wow...that thing fucking ripped it up. I can't imagine even the GT version because I only had the V6. The handling was very surprisingly good. I were to get a sports car in the near future, it's definitely on my list.

laspariahs
Sat Apr 28th, 2012, 09:42 AM

The Mustang GT will go toe to toe with a BMW M3 on a track. The Boss will tear it apart, and this thing god only knows.

Slo
Sat Apr 28th, 2012, 09:56 AM
The new mustangs handle much better than many think. Can't wait for about 2 more years to pass.....one of these will definitely be in my garage. Had an 03 cobra back in the day, can't wait to move up to one of these.

Hibs
Sat Apr 28th, 2012, 10:24 AM

LOL i love guys like you. Like a few members all ready stated, the Shelby will probably tear up 95% of other production cars out there in a handling contest.

I think the GT500 is real similar to big bore motorcycles. You mention my sig picture, and automatically assume all I can do is ride in a straight line. Well there is a reason I leave my bike at stock wheelbase. I like taking corners and twisties just as fast as any one else. I don't do road race track days myself, but have known quite a few guys on big bikes (12R, hayabusa, 14s) who have and do just fine. I myself have a pretty pristine 12 year old classic bike and I want to keep it like that. Doing track days, it's inevitable that you'll go down, if you're riding hard enough, so that's just not for me... And while your little 600 might out corner me at the track, if you could ride it to it's capabilities, on the street there really wouldn't be much of a difference. That's why I never understand why someone who is not a dedicated track racer buys bikes like that. A 600 is a bike made for the track. They definitely aren't comfortable as a "street bike".

But, there will all ways be the haters. Just like the new Kawasaki ZX14R... I've all ready heard guys saying "ahh that's just a straight line missile, my CBR600 would smoke it in the canyons, blah blah blah".... well, I would guarantee, I could ride my 12R or a new 14R as fast as or faster then 90% of the guys who ride on the street. I speak from my personal experience. I've owned a 12R for over 6 years. I owned a few 1000s before that. I've ridden many 600s, 1000s, hayabusas, and even the new 14R. The guys who have never ridden one will never understand.

Slo
Sat Apr 28th, 2012, 10:29 AM
+1 on much of what Hibs said....

Perfect example, take a look at Jason on his 12r at superstreet dominating most of the field out there. Also, never had any issues with my old Busa and a 9" stretch, passenger and all up in the canyons with others.

Also, how many of us really come even close to pushing the handling potential on bikes or cars? I know for sure I tried with both over the years but can't even come close.

Hibs
Sat Apr 28th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Also, how many of us really come even close to pushing the handling potential on bikes or cars? I know for sure I tried with both over the years but can't even come close.

Exactly what I'm saying, no one is dragging knee and rolling up beads of rubber at the edge of their tire on the street. If they are, well, they'll probably be dead soon. LOL.

And how many people REALLY go do lots of track days with their street bike? I would guess it's very few. People buy a street bike to enjoy driving around the highways and roads where it doesn't cost you anything.

Slo
Sat Apr 28th, 2012, 10:39 AM
And how many people REALLY go do lots of track days with their street bike? I would guess it's very few. People buy a street bike to enjoy driving around the highways and roads where it doesn't cost you anything.

I did with my 06 gsxr....however, after a few months, over 30 track days, it of course became a full track bike haha and not by choice.:king:

Damn I want this car!!!

modette99
Sat Apr 28th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Wife seemed okay with the Cobra idea...just not this year. Got to payoff a vehicle first. Probably two more years...then it be on the consider list. :-)

mastap07
Sat Apr 28th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Wife seemed okay with the Cobra idea...just not this year. Got to payoff a vehicle first. Probably two more years...then it be on the consider list. :-)

Dito, have to get out of a little debt and probably sell the other stang + part of the house for a new one :)

Wrider
Sun Apr 29th, 2012, 02:03 AM
Dito, have to get out of a little debt and probably sell the other stang + part of my soul for a new one :)

Fixed that for ya.

thatmofo
Sun Apr 29th, 2012, 04:22 AM
I agree with Hibs and Slo. Buy and ride a big bike. You'll love it on the street. Speaking from 15K miles on a 6R and 20K miles on a 14R.

The Stang is sick. I'm a GM fan (LSX really), but if it really sells for $55K, I would seriously consider buying one when it's a few years old.

Ghost
Sun Apr 29th, 2012, 09:53 AM
The Stang is sick. I'm a GM fan (LSX really), but if it really sells for $55K, I would seriously consider buying one when it's a few years old.

Take that $54k price with a grain of salt. Most of these are coming loaded with every factory option dealers can stick on them, AND, at least 2 dealerships I called (for the hell of it) want $15k over MSRP....so figure $58 with options + $15k + delivery + D&H and you're around $75k.

Not that it's not "worth" it, but it's not the "bargain" it'd be at $55k..

Oh, and they want $5,000 over MSRP for the Boss 302 and $10,000 over for the 302 Laguna Seca...

CaneZach
Sun Apr 29th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Take that $54k price with a grain of salt. Most of these are coming loaded with every factory option dealers can stick on them, AND, at least 2 dealerships I called (for the hell of it) want $15k over MSRP....so figure $58 with options + $15k + delivery + D&H and you're around $75k.

Not that it's not "worth" it, but it's not the "bargain" it'd be at $55k..

Oh, and they want $5,000 over MSRP for the Boss 302 and $10,000 over for the 302 Laguna Seca...

And, you probably don't even want to consider buying one when they first come out. The production numbers are probably around 5k for the year and I would say most of those will be spoken for by people who can afford to pay a premium to get their car first. Any that haven't been will command a premium, so that $75k Ghost is talking about will probably jump another $10k to $15k.

salsashark
Sun Apr 29th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Hopefully, the results of the "I have more money than I know what to do with" club won't be an actual indicator of what these will go for...

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=3043&aid=443

$300,000 :shock:

CaneZach
Sun Apr 29th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Hopefully, the results of the "I have more money than I know what to do with" club won't be an actual indicator of what these will go for...

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=3043&aid=443

$300,000 :shock:

That's a hefty price tag, but it's a special auction that benefits the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Fund), so I can understand their asking price.

salsashark
Sun Apr 29th, 2012, 03:40 PM
That's a hefty price tag, but it's a special auction that benefits the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Fund), so I can understand their asking price.

I get that... I dig watching these auctions, and the charity cars get huge prices.

I couldn't find it, bought I thought one at the most recent auction went for $100K (no charity).

My back hurts
Sun Apr 29th, 2012, 04:21 PM
As cool as a GT500 is, id rather have a Laguna Seca, unless they got all that power to the ground somehow. In last years model they couldnt even get an accurate street 0-60 because it spun the tires all the way through 2nd, and now more power?

derekm
Sun Apr 29th, 2012, 06:21 PM
wish I had no kids or at least an extra 60-70g :)