PDA

View Full Version : Question for fence guru's

birchyboy
Tue May 1st, 2012, 11:19 AM
Our house has a Split Rail vinyl fence that borders a green belt. The fence is owned/maintained by the HOA, but most users have attached a metal mesh to it to keep animals in or out. I've thought about using a lattice material in place of the metal mesh but the HOA doesn't seem to interested in that.

Typically the owners (us included) attach the mesh to the fence with zip ties. These damn things don't last too long and have to be replaced every few months. Any recommendations on a better fastener to use that isn't permanent, ie. drilling and using screws?

big53lee
Tue May 1st, 2012, 11:31 AM
Cut little pieces of your wire fencing or buy a roll of wire for a few bucks (like twist ties on steroids)and use them to attatch the critter fence to the spit rail.

salsashark
Tue May 1st, 2012, 11:36 AM
^^

My thoughts exactly. Go pick up a roll of bailing wire and be done with it. Besides, it's a good thing to have around the garage anyways.

birchyboy
Tue May 1st, 2012, 11:53 AM
I've a big roll of that but was concerned with rust stains. Maybe I'll see if there's a rust-free type I can pick up.

Thanks!

big53lee
Tue May 1st, 2012, 12:05 PM
How many feet we talkin? If u were worried about stains, there are other things to use. There are thise super strong zipties. I've seen cops use em as handcuffs. Those I'm sute will last. U.could use your wire u have, but run to auto zone or other auto parts store n grab a roll off cheap hose. Insert the wire in the hose. So the hose is a barrier between wire and white vinyl fence. Make sense?

Filo
Tue May 1st, 2012, 01:18 PM
Stainless steel safety wire.

Ezzzzy1
Tue May 1st, 2012, 01:25 PM
If you remove the horizontal rails and do a full wrap around each post, then cut the holes and replace the rails you will have no problem with the wire fence pulling or sagging. Thats how the farmers do it.

The Black Knight
Tue May 1st, 2012, 01:58 PM
Hog nose rings are your answer.

Jmetz
Tue May 1st, 2012, 02:16 PM
Staples.

salsashark
Tue May 1st, 2012, 02:24 PM
...small sweat shop children...

They won't block your view of the green belt and they'll be able to hold on to the wire fencing for a long time due to their calloused little fingers. Oh, and they won't leave rust marks either!

:up:

birchyboy
Tue May 1st, 2012, 02:41 PM
Staples.

That was easy!

big53lee
Tue May 1st, 2012, 02:53 PM
SUPER GLUE! HAHA

laspariahs
Tue May 1st, 2012, 02:55 PM
maybe try zipties. They are plastic, strong, and obviously won't leave rust marks.

FZRACE97
Tue May 1st, 2012, 03:19 PM
maybe try zipties. They are plastic, strong, and obviously won't leave rust marks.

Maybe try reading the post.:roll:

Filo
Tue May 1st, 2012, 03:21 PM
Ooooh!!!! Have you tried zipties?

bulldog
Tue May 1st, 2012, 03:25 PM
How about thicker zipties! :lol:

They do make them in various sizes and strengths! Hell cops use them for handcuffs nowadays so has to be some strong ones out there...

grim
Tue May 1st, 2012, 03:42 PM
Ooooh!!!! Have you tried zipties?

No he tried that, he needs to try zip-ties.

big53lee
Tue May 1st, 2012, 03:48 PM
use screws or nails or staples! lmfao!

grim
Tue May 1st, 2012, 03:52 PM
use zip-ties! lmfao!

bulldog
Tue May 1st, 2012, 03:54 PM
Serious though, Outdoor zip-ties are UV coated; sun is what usually weakens them.

Like these may work

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Overview/Catalog/Wiring_Solutions/Cable_Ties_-a-_Accessories/Cable_Ties_-_UV_resistant_(black_only)

grim
Tue May 1st, 2012, 03:55 PM
Serious though, Outdoor zip-ties are UV coated; sun is what usually weakens them.

Like these may work http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Overview/Catalog/Wiring_Solutions/Cable_Ties_-a-_Accessories/Cable_Ties_-_UV_resistant_(black_only)

cool link

AutomationDirect - Page Not Found

This one is better http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Home/Home

birchyboy
Tue May 1st, 2012, 03:58 PM

Like these may work http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Overview/Catalog/Wiring_Solutions/Cable_Ties_-a-_Accessories/Cable_Ties_-_UV_resistant_(black_only)

Thanks; didn't know they made uv protected zip ties. I'll check 'em out. Maybe the local Granger stores have them as well.

bulldog
Tue May 1st, 2012, 03:58 PM
cool link

This one is better http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Home/Home Sheesh, give a guy a second to fix it. Hopefully fixed now link nazi :lol:

P.S. Yours didn't work either...must be the site. Think I got it now on my first post.

If not maybe this works http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Overview/Catalog/Wiring_Solutions/Cable_Ties_-a-_Accessories/Cable_Ties_-_UV_resistant_(black_only))

longrider
Tue May 1st, 2012, 04:11 PM
Home Depot has the UVresistant zip-ties but they are always black, I hope the HOA is OK with that

laspariahs
Tue May 1st, 2012, 04:49 PM
I read twist ties, oh well whatever.

asp_125
Tue May 1st, 2012, 04:52 PM
dispense with the zip ties and mesh altogether. buy an air rifle and some ammo. :D

Or, maybe some of the racers here have extra safety wire.

Filo
Tue May 1st, 2012, 06:21 PM
Or, maybe some of the racers here have extra safety wire.

I actually do have some old safety wire that you can have. Way too heavy for what I use now.

kingtut
Tue May 1st, 2012, 08:48 PM
Our house has a Split Rail vinyl fence that borders a green belt. The fence is owned/maintained by the HOA, but most users have attached a metal mesh to it to keep animals in or out. I've thought about using a lattice material in place of the metal mesh but the HOA doesn't seem to interested in that.

Typically the owners (us included) attach the mesh to the fence with zip ties. These damn things don't last too long and have to be replaced every few months. Any recommendations on a better fastener to use that isn't permanent, ie. drilling and using screws?

Staples.

I have the same situation. It seems the HOA was the one who put the metal mesh there (on the green belt side) and used staples. They seem to be holding up well.

Jmetz
Tue May 1st, 2012, 09:20 PM
I put some mesh on a deck using staples to keep my dog and kids from going through the rails. It's been 10 years and that shit hasn't budged.