PDA

View Full Version : Visor scratches

Sean
Tue May 1st, 2012, 04:57 PM
Does anyone know if you can buff out, or use another technique, to get light/small scratches out of a helmet visor? On a street helmet I'd just buy a new visor, but for my Shoei Hornet they want $60+ for a clear visor. Thought I would check with the masses before ordering a new one (or just dealing with it).

tia :usa:

cbrjohnny
Tue May 1st, 2012, 05:15 PM
i tried once... it distorts the lens... time to buy a new one.

asp_125
Tue May 1st, 2012, 05:56 PM
Plexus plastic polish? Anything more abrasive will damage the visor I'm afraid. I say deal with it if the scratches are not in your line of vision.

My back hurts
Tue May 1st, 2012, 09:55 PM
If anything, you might try wet sanding the whole thing with a super fine grit, then polishing it, the trick is not to get it too hot, no guarantees, it works on headlights so its possible.

AOK303
Tue May 1st, 2012, 10:32 PM
Dont wet sand it!!!! you really can not do anything
there use to be a cream that with a eye glass cloth would take out small marks
but anything else would really just make it worse

asp_125
Tue May 1st, 2012, 10:41 PM
Someone once mentioned using toothpaste as a plastic polish.

AOK303
Tue May 1st, 2012, 10:44 PM
i have watch crystal polish with is about the same plastic i do have some of the solution if you want to try it

Bueller
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 06:48 AM
I use #1 and #2
#1 for regular cleaning of my shields and #2 for fine scratches, it has amazed me at times but I wouldn't expect miracles.

http://images.containerstore.com/catalogimages/126898/NovusPlasticPolishTrio2oz_l.jpg

Sean
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 08:12 AM
I use #1 and #2
#1 for regular cleaning of my shields and #2 for fine scratches, it has amazed me at times but I wouldn't expect miracles. Seems like the best option so far. Thanks, Bueller. Can you get it at hardware/auto part stores?

performula
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 10:28 PM
PlasticX by Meguiars? I'd be real skeptical about using it on Iridium (sp). It might smear or buff it off.

Their ScratchX/X products work pretty decent, but if they don't, you're about nine dollars in the hole per bottle.

Bueller
Thu May 3rd, 2012, 06:13 AM
Seems like the best option so far. Thanks, Bueller. Can you get it at hardware/auto part stores?
I believe Performance carries it, but with your locational handicap you might try Amazon.
I got mine at Rocky Mnt. Harley, it is what I use to keep the Buell's colored plastic clean and shiny. Works great on windscreens too.

My back hurts
Thu May 3rd, 2012, 05:31 PM
Dont wet sand it!!!! you really can not do anything
there use to be a cream that with a eye glass cloth would take out small marks
but anything else would really just make it worse

Why cant you wet sand? if the scratch is big enough that you have no option but to toss it, its worth a try. If your carefull, and like i said dont get it hot, it should work fine. Im getting ready for a new visor anyway so ill give it a shot just to see.

duelist13
Fri May 4th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Don't try to buff a visor with the "iridium" coatings, I tried this on a pair of old oakleys and the coatings rubbed off. I generally just leave the visors alone (except for soap+water) to preserve any anti-glare/UV/anti-fog coatings.