PDA

View Full Version : Brake Bleed Kits

bornwildnfree
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 11:45 AM
I'm about to switch to steel braided brake lines. I'm really tired of bleeding the brakes by hand and was thinking about purchasing a break bleed kit. Anyone have any suggestions?

tecknojoe
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 12:03 PM
I actually used the mighty vac the first time I did it and didn't like it. too much fumbling and annoyance. I much prefer using just a tube and bleeder bag.

buddahson
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 12:04 PM
I suggest speed bleeders over a brake bleed kit. I have a mighty vac hand pump and its a pita. My speed bleeders do a better job and it couldn't be any easier.

bornwildnfree
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 02:33 PM
I just looked up speed bleeders and they look awesome! I have an email off to them to see if they make them for my bike.

birchyboy
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 02:38 PM
I tried some Goodridge brand "speed bleeders" that I picked up at Performance. They were very intermittent; sometimes they worked as advertised and sometimes they let air back in. In the end I treated them like standard bleeders. I wouldn't buy the Goodridge brand again, but YMMY.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 05:27 PM
I had a Mighty-Vac bleeder at one time too. It seemed to put more air INTO the lines than it took out. I pitched it and did it the old fashioned way.

I'd be interested in trying the speed bleeders.

mdub
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 05:30 PM
I'm about to switch to steel braided brake lines.

very nice touch.

Matrix
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 08:27 PM
I made my own speed bleeders with some fish tank tubing from Walmart and some plastic baggies. Works just as good as the speed bleeders.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Penn-Plax-8-Standard-Airline-Tubing/16928752

Steel lines do not need near the amount of attention as rubber lines and the only time I find myself doing it is when I change pads (once or twice a year).

Worst case, take it Jim at TFOG and call it a day.

FZRguy
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 08:38 PM
Speed bleeders didn't work for me. My Mity-Vac works fine.