PDA

View Full Version : Got my first ticket

My back hurts
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 12:29 PM
I got a speeding ticket today goin to work, 55 in a 45, got the whole thing on camera, but he never made me sign anything, would i be able to fight this?

tecknojoe
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 12:33 PM
Were you doing 55 in a 45? If yes, there's nothing to fight

grim
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 12:35 PM
I got a speeding ticket today goin to work, 55 in a 45, got the whole thing on camera, but he never made me sign anything, would i be able to fight this?

Does not matter if you sign or not if you were speeding and got caught there is nothing to fight, when you sign they state you are not pleading guilty by signing this ticket.

rfranks303
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 12:48 PM
should have told him you were on your way to a final.

grim
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 12:53 PM
should have told him you were on your way to a final.

Should have told em my name was Rob.

rfranks303
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 12:57 PM
Is that a crack on my clean record or the fact that by brother in law is csp in gilpin county.

AOK303
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 01:01 PM
id say both im going to say my name is rob

grim
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 01:29 PM
Is that a crack on my clean record or the fact that by brother in law is csp in gilpin county.

Lucky guess.

Ghost
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 01:54 PM
Welcome to the ticket club. Sadly, the way things are going, there will be many more in your and everyone else's future...

grim
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 02:00 PM
Welcome to the ticket club. Sadly, the way things are going, there will be many more in your and everyone else's future...

Yea just dont be like Clovis and get 3 reckless driving tickets in 6 months.

modette99
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 03:27 PM
Welcome to the club....

mdub
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 03:49 PM
but he never made me sign anything,

you might have to sign the ticket when you mail it in with your check.

Cars-R-Coffins
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 04:39 PM
By signing you are only verifying that the person listed on the ticket is you. If you have a Colorado ID or driver license in your possession they are not required to have you sign.

My back hurts
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 04:48 PM
weak, I speed to get to the front of the pack so people know im there and dont crush me. I have hours of video of poeple driving and doing things you cant even imagine. I wonder if I take the case to court show them all the video i have, explain why i drive the way I do, and get the right judge, maybe ill get lucky, or at least a reduction in points. Either way im not letting this slide by that easy. I know 2 former captains from the PD here, ill talke to them and get some opinions.

mdub
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 04:51 PM
well there you go...sounds like good connections.

some leg work for 10 over. good luck wit dat

TwistyRydr
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 04:58 PM
yea you should have notified the cop you had been recording because supposedly its illegal now to have footage of officers period...especially without their knowledge.

tecknojoe
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 05:26 PM
yea you should have notified the cop you had been recording because supposedly its illegal now to have footage of officers period...especially without their knowledge.

(after seeing that nonsense with the motorcycle rider in MD)

I thought it's legal to record, but not to post online. Can't remember if you have to notify the officer while it's recording or not.

anyone know?

Cornfed
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 05:38 PM
supposedly its illegal now to have footage of officers period...especially without their knowledge.

Is this :bs: true?

mdub
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 05:51 PM
Every jurisdiction has it 's own ordinances. :dunno:

My back hurts
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 05:53 PM
According to the constitution, We have a 1st ammendment right to videotape anything in a public setting whether its officers or not, but theres where the line gets blurry. either way DC treats the constitution as if it doesnt exist... and do what they want
http://www.aclu.org/blog/free-speech/it-legal-photograph-or-videotape-police

http://aclum.org/news_release_8.29.11

mdub
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 05:57 PM
DC treats the constitution as if it doesnt exist... and do what they want

agree and it sucks arse....

My back hurts
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 06:05 PM
some leg work for 10 over

its 4 points, I have a perfect record thus far, its all about future pullovers, if any. When the cop see's a perfect record, hes usually a little lenient. At least thats been my luck the last 2 times.

But this time they had to give me a ticket because im sure they had people calling in bitching about me cuz i ride the same road every morning at the same time, and they had one guy standing out radaring, and one waiting behind a building. sneaky mofos

mdub
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 06:12 PM
perfect record? what are you 16? hahah

pay it. it will be knock dwn to two pts. your gonna waste time and effort.

and that really sucks people are monitoring your entrance or departure....maybe ur bike is too loud...

rfranks303
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 06:54 PM
Lucky guess.

You callin me a snitch foo?

grim
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 07:18 PM
You callin me a snitch foo?

Go get some shut ass.

highpsi03
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 09:22 PM
I love these 'i broke the law, and got caught, now how do i get out of it threads" Basically you were speeding. It sucks, we all do it, now man up and pay the piper. You yourself said you are guilty man. I also highly doubt the police went out there to radar just to catch you because you "ride the same road' everyday.

highpsi03
Wed May 2nd, 2012, 09:25 PM
weak, I speed to get to the front of the pack so people know im there and dont crush me. I have hours of video of poeple driving and doing things you cant even imagine. I wonder if I take the case to court show them all the video i have, explain why i drive the way I do, .
This is the excuse you are bringing to court? :banghead: :jerkoff:

My back hurts
Thu May 3rd, 2012, 05:12 PM
perfect record? what are you 16? hahah

pay it. it will be knock dwn to two pts. your gonna waste time and effort.

and that really sucks people are monitoring your entrance or departure....maybe ur bike is too loud...

No im not 16, im just not a dumbass when I ride/drive

I love these 'i broke the law, and got caught, now how do i get out of it threads" Basically you were speeding. It sucks, we all do it, now man up and pay the piper. You yourself said you are guilty man. I also highly doubt the police went out there to radar just to catch you because you "ride the same road' everyday.

So when they make a law that says you cant breathe without paying a tax, and you "break the law" your not going to bitch? When does common sense come into play? I can smell the jealousy through the screen.

This is the excuse you are bringing to court? :banghead: :jerkoff:

Just because you cant pursuade anyone to think the way you do, doent mean I cant.

highpsi03
Thu May 3rd, 2012, 08:41 PM
No im not 16, im just not a dumbass when I ride/drive

So when they make a law that says you cant breathe without paying a tax, and you "break the law" your not going to bitch? When does common sense come into play? I can smell the jealousy through the screen.

Just because you cant pursuade anyone to think the way you do, doent mean I cant.
Sorry but the whole "i did this, which is against the law because other people do this" doesn't work in court pal. Your "breathing tax" holds no water in this argument either but nice try. Breathing has nothing to do with going over the speed limit. I bet you are one of those idiots that thinks he can just do whatever he wants because he's on two wheels.
:slap:

highpsi03
Thu May 3rd, 2012, 08:43 PM
I can smell the jealousy through the screen.

You have some special screen where you can smell stuff? Awesome. What is there to be jealous of? The fact that you can speed or the fact that you got a ticket. I can do both of those if i wanted. Moron.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Fri May 4th, 2012, 10:25 AM
sounds like we got some dudes on their period. :lol:

Nooch
Fri May 4th, 2012, 01:09 PM
You should just pay up. But if your record really is clean, I would just wait to pay. Plan to actually appear for your hearing (which the issuing officer does NOT have to show up to btw so dont think you skate on the ticket if he's not there). There's a good chance the court will send you a plea bargain offer in the mail between now and your court date to reduce the fine and the points. Take that plea bargain. If that doesnt happen, show up for your hearing, make a case to the DA saying you accept responsibility but would like a bit of leniency since you arent a repeat offender and see if he'll offer a plea bargain then. One way or another, they are going to make some money off of you.

Also, we are all being scrutinized and targeted lately by LEOs. Try not to be one of the guys who paints an even worse image for us. Make a conscious effort to obey the rules of the road.

Colorado also has some fairly strict standards for insurance premium increases for traffic violations. A minor 2 point violation can cost you another $20-$30 per month on your bike insurance. Its in your best interest to keep an eye on that speedo.

Nooch
Fri May 4th, 2012, 01:12 PM
I have hours of video of poeple driving and doing things you cant even imagine. I wonder if I take the case to court show them all the video i have, explain why i drive the way I do, and get the right judge, maybe ill get lucky, or at least a reduction in points.

Don't do this...

burnn88
Fri May 4th, 2012, 02:14 PM
sounds like we got some dudes on their period. :lol:

Yep! I can smell it through my screen...

mdub
Fri May 4th, 2012, 06:59 PM
eeewww now your just making this thread gross...

Aaron
Fri May 4th, 2012, 08:51 PM

This is absolutely untrue. It is legal to videotape and photograph anyone, including Police Officers, so long as you are in a place you are legally entitled to be.

However, Officers do have some recourse. If the Officer gives you a lawful order to do something (Like back off, get back, get on the sidewalk, etc), then you shall obey that. And remember, you don't decide which orders are lawful. So do what he says. Or risk jailing and loss of your camera.

Scatterbrain
Fri May 4th, 2012, 09:58 PM
ouch....

My back hurts
Sat May 5th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Sorry but the whole "i did this, which is against the law because other people do this" doesn't work in court pal. Your "breathing tax" holds no water in this argument either but nice try. Breathing has nothing to do with going over the speed limit. I bet you are one of those idiots that thinks he can just do whatever he wants because he's on two wheels.
:slap:

I guess we'll see wont we. And as far as the breathing tax, a stupid law is a stupid law, no matter what it affects.

You have some special screen where you can smell stuff? Awesome. What is there to be jealous of? The fact that you can speed or the fact that you got a ticket. I can do both of those if i wanted. Moron.

the fact that im going to get out of my ticket, I talked to my retired captain buddy, showed him the footage, and he even said I had a shot if I had the right judge. You dont know the circumstances of my pullover, where it was, how I was driving, nothing. I guess you all assume I was weaving through cars at WOT, which is the exact opposite of what I was doing.

highpsi03
Sat May 5th, 2012, 10:47 AM
I guess we'll see wont we. And as far as the breathing tax, a stupid law is a stupid law, no matter what it affects.

the fact that im going to get out of my ticket, I talked to my retired captain buddy, showed him the footage, and he even said I had a shot if I had the right judge. You dont know the circumstances of my pullover, where it was, how I was driving, nothing. I guess you all assume I was weaving through cars at WOT, which is the exact opposite of what I was doing.
No one assumed anything. You yourself said you broke the law. Pretty simple. I guess i don't understand why you even posted on here about it considering your "captian buddy" is going to hook you up. Speed on.

My back hurts
Sat May 5th, 2012, 10:55 PM
No one assumed anything. You yourself said you broke the law. Pretty simple. I guess i don't understand why you even posted on here about it considering your "captian buddy" is going to hook you up. Speed on.

Once again, when does common sense come into play when it comes to the legal system, its seems like its being phased out. I dont really care if anyone undertsnads what im trying to say, the thread was started because i thought I had to sign my ticket in front of the officer for it to be legal. That question was answered, and i said i was going to fight it, then everyone started giving their opinion, which I could care less about on that subject.

Like i said before he's retired, and hes not hooking me up with anything, i simply got his advice.

mxer
Sun May 6th, 2012, 10:35 AM

That's some funny stuff right there. You have actual footage of you breaking the law and you "know" you are going to get off. I guess I missed it in the driving rule book but maybe there's a paragraph of you can go 10 mph over if statements...
Your common sense defense is bullshit.

kawasakirob
Sun May 6th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Should have told em my name was Rob.

Hi, my name is Rob, and I've received lots of tickets with a wide range of fines to go along with them... Even in a " few " other states. I would NOT say your name is Rob :slap: Obama would be better

fz6rider
Sun May 6th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Once again, when does common sense come into play when it comes to the legal system, its seems like its being phased out. I dont really care if anyone undertsnads what im trying to say, the thread was started because i thought I had to sign my ticket in front of the officer for it to be legal. That question was answered, and i said i was going to fight it, then everyone started giving their opinion, which I could care less about on that subject.

Like i said before he's retired, and hes not hooking me up with anything, i simply got his advice.

When does common sense come into play to just man up and pay the ticket? Seeing as you already admitted you broke the law. And everyone started to give their opinion on it, can you guess why?? That's right you are on a open/public forum.

My back hurts
Mon May 7th, 2012, 07:23 PM
That's some funny stuff right there. You have actual footage of you breaking the law and you "know" you are going to get off. I guess I missed it in the driving rule book but maybe there's a paragraph of you can go 10 mph over if statements...
Your common sense defense is bullshit.

When does common sense come into play to just man up and pay the ticket? Seeing as you already admitted you broke the law. And everyone started to give their opinion on it, can you guess why?? That's right you are on a open/public forum.

then everyone started giving their opinion, which I could care less about on that subject.

grim
Mon May 7th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Awesome thread :up:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri May 11th, 2012, 10:00 AM
IF the officer wrote it for UNSAFE SPEED, which it most likely was written as, then, if you can prove to the judge that yes, it was posted 45, and yes, I was doing 55, but that the SAFE speed was actually 55, then the judge can CHOOSE to dismiss it. In CA many years ago, the judge would state this at the start of every session, and I saw and was one of several people who successfully used this. Now, the MAXIMUM speed is 75, so, if you exceed that there's no way to justify that. But, the lower posted limits are actually estimated safe speeds. Maybe CO is different, but....

Good luck.

Aaron
Fri May 11th, 2012, 10:29 AM
That's not how it works. The speed limit is just that, it's a black and white line you shall not cross.

Penadam
Fri May 11th, 2012, 12:46 PM
What if they write a too fast for conditions (assuming you were under the posted limit)? Any chance of arguing that it wasn't?

Aaron
Fri May 11th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Depends. That charge will usually only be written in inclement weather after a crash. And if you crashed in foul weather, you're going to have a tough time arguing you weren't going too fast.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon May 14th, 2012, 12:21 PM
That's not how it works. The speed limit is just that, it's a black and white line you shall not cross.
Like I said, it may be different here. In CA it was "unsafe speed", and the posted was "safe speed". I know i got out of a couple like that becase traffic was nonexistant and I was on a straight stretch.

kalibra
Wed May 16th, 2012, 07:58 AM
weak, I speed to get to the front of the pack so people know im there and dont crush me. I have hours of video of poeple driving and doing things you cant even imagine. I wonder if I take the case to court show them all the video i have, explain why i drive the way I do, and get the right judge, maybe ill get lucky, or at least a reduction in points. Either way im not letting this slide by that easy. I know 2 former captains from the PD here, ill talke to them and get some opinions.
You are clearly justified in braking the law,because you have video of other people doing bad things.I say you not only fight the ticket but also sue the police officer and his department for doing this to you.Can you pls send me your video so I can use it the next time I choose to brake the law and get caught.Mmmkay?Thanks!

Wrider
Wed May 16th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Break/Breaking*
Brakes are what backhurty was not using.

CBR-Cowboy
Wed May 16th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Another thread where fellow bikers are calling each other names, It really makes me sad...

grim
Tue Aug 7th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Did you every get the chance to remove the tinfoil hat from you head and fight this ticket? I would love to hear how this turned out.

kalibra
Tue Aug 7th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Break/Breaking*
Brakes are what backhurty was not using.
You're right ! I messed up.

Ghost
Tue Aug 7th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Did you every get the chance to remove the tinfoil hat from you head and fight this ticket? I would love to hear how this turned out.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv305/FatsoJetson28/tinfoil-hat-2.jpg

mdub
Tue Aug 7th, 2012, 04:26 PM
That is the pic of the CSC BBQ last week-end..

Jason ON
Tue Aug 7th, 2012, 05:22 PM
@My Back hurts,

Take it to court. No cop is going to come into court and testify against you for 10mph over the speedlimit. It's a waste of his time.

Aaron
Tue Aug 7th, 2012, 09:42 PM
@My Back hurts,

Take it to court. No cop is going to come into court and testify against you for 10mph over the speedlimit. It's a waste of his time.

I show up and testify for every ticket I write. My theory is I had enough reasons to write the ticket, I've got enough to say what I saw. There's no point in writing it if I'm not going to show up. Remember also, we get paid for going to court. At my agency it's a minimum 2 hours overtime, and they rarely take more than a half hour. $92 to get dressed and talk for a half hour? Sign me up.

I lot of our guys use that to supplement their income. The older guys with families don't write a lot of tickets, the newer guys who want the money do.

Lastly, we can and do get reprimanded for missing court.

Grant H.
Wed Aug 15th, 2012, 12:50 AM
Seriously want to hear if the video of him breaking the law helped his case since it also shows others breaking the law.

The whole kids saying, two wrongs don't make a right, comes to mind.

If you're going to speed, don't be a wuss and try to weasel out of it. Man up, take the consequences for getting caught, and move on with life. A perfect driving record doesn't mean a thing.

maktastik_jr.
Wed Aug 15th, 2012, 10:16 AM
The only ticket i went to court to fight was a wreckless driving ticket. i was turning left into a school to drop my brother off and my tires chirped just a tiny bit ( i drive a ford ranger with shit tires) on some sand on the street, which is EVERYWHERE in the town of bennett. the asshole adams county cop pulled me over and wrote me a 8 point reckless driving ticket. keep in mind i never went above 20 miles an hour. he also tried telling me my temp tag was expired because he couldnt read my pink temp slip even though my temp tag obviously said june 18th (it was may 4th). to make a long story short, i went to court and sat down with the district attorney and i explained to him and he literally said "this ticket it crap" and proceded to tell me what a moron this cop was. ended up with a seat belt violation :eyebrows: