PDA

View Full Version : Basic Motorcycle Maintenance Class (TCLOCS) Saturday 5/12/12 11AM

bornwildnfree
Mon May 7th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Alright, I know this is short notice, but we'd like to go ahead and do this class.

I came up with this idea after I bought my mom her first sportbike and realized that not everyone out there has a friend who can show them how to properly maintain these machines we trust our lives to. For example, everyone says to check your tire pressure, but what exactly does that mean to a new rider especially if they have never checked tire pressure on a car? I decided to try and bridge the gap between what the Basic Rider Course tells you and what that actually means in the real world. I got together with Spooph and Spiderman and we came up with a class that is based on a concept that's taught in the MSF BRC: TCLOCS (Tires - Controls - Lights - Oil - Chassis - Stands).

This class is designed for the newer riders out there who just took the Basic Rider Course and just bough their first bike but all are welcome. There's a lot of good information in the class and I learned a few things.
We based this class on the MSF TCLOCS course, but will be providing a demonstration of each step as well as helping you preform the steps on your own motorcycle. You will learn such things as how to change your oil* and how to check tire pressure as well as lots and lots of other information. We will also be doing a paced ride after the class to work on riding skills. There are 8 spots available. Spouses, extra friends, significant others, small children, and pets are wonderful, but not allowed at this course.

*You do not have to change the oil on your bike if you do not want to or it isn't time or whatever, but we will be demonstrating how to do it and if you want to learn on your own bike, please see below for what you need to bring (it never hurts to change it before it needs to be changed ;) ).
You will need to bring:
1) You
2) Your motorcycle (please fill up the tank before you get to my house.)
3) Owners Manual: if you have one, if not, PM me and we'll see what we can dig up
4) The tool kit that came with your motorcycle: If you don't have one, don't worry. Look online for what was in it. If you can't find it PM me.
5) One 3/8 in ratcheting socket with a set of sockets: You can get a set of 10mm-18mm sockets at Sears or Harbor Freight. The most common ones I've found are 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, but each bike is different.
6) A set of allen (hex key) wrenches
7) A penny
8) At least a helmet, gloves, and jacket if you are going on the ride after.

*To change the oil on your bike, you will need:
1) Correct oil filter for your bike: You can find them at any motorcycle shop
2) Oil: You will need to bring the number of quarts your motorcycle uses. If there is a question of what type/kind to get, please PM me and we will get you an answer.
3) The correct socket for taking off your oil drain bolt: again, if you don't know, PM me.
4) An oil filter socket: This is a giant socket that fits around the oil filter making it easier to get off. Can be picked up with the oil filter. It's nice to have, but not necessary.

All of this will fit in a standard backpack. If you are uncomfortable carrying all of this in a backpack you can drop it off the night before.

Sign up by PMing me or Replying in the thread and I will add you to the list. Spots will probably go quickly so sign up now!

1) dolphinrider
2) demonrider
3) heater
4) Fun Sized
5)
6)
7)
8 )

mastap07
Mon May 7th, 2012, 11:54 AM
great idea! wish i could join but unfortunately im doing that work thing...

DemonRider
Thu May 10th, 2012, 08:56 PM
What a trooper; Although Prego, Nikki made me go out and get Chain Lube, & Cable Lube. Were still planning on going as long as it don't get cancelled :)

I may take the opportunity to do another oil change, I'm not sure why but the last time I did the oil change I opened everything up and removed the filter let it drain for a few. Then when I put everything together and started filling it with Brand new oil it was dark as hell. But a refresher on TCLOCS can't hurt ;).

bornwildnfree
Fri May 11th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Yes, it's still on. It'll be a small class so we can heat up the garage :-)

DemonRider
Sat May 12th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Splendid, just splendid. It was great information, and even if you may "know a lot" its still got some great information. Great minds collaboratively putting together a class that, IMHO, is helpful for old and new.

Thanks Christi, Bob, and Matt.:yay::bananna:

DolphinRider
Sat May 12th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Thank you Christi, Bob and Matt I had a good time learning TCLOCS I learned a lot and would definitely do it again. And I can't wait to do the oil change but had a great time thank you guys. Love ya

Nikkki

Hyde
Mon Jun 11th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Wanna do this again? I'd like to get to know my new bike better and possibly learn chain and brake maintenance. Yes?