PDA

View Full Version : MRA Race #2 @ PPIR May 19-20th!

UglyDogRacing
Thu May 10th, 2012, 11:49 AM
The MRA heads to the famed banking of Pikes Peak Int'l Raceway for round 2 of the 2012 season! Join us for non stop high octane excitement as the fastest riders in the region race head to head on everything from 250cc production motorcycles to 200hp open superbikes!

PPIR will once again have the Beer Garden open for spectators that would like to enjoy a frosty beverage while watching their favorite racers!

The hugely successful Super Street class returns for its third season on Saturday. If you’re a street or trackday rider and would like to experience road racing for only $100 and minimal bike prep, go to http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=12495 for more information.

Tickets for all MRA races are purchased at the event gate each Saturday and Sunday. Don't miss the experience and excitement of motorcycle roadracing here in Colorado!

Weekend Admission: Adults $10 for the entire weekend of racing. Kids under 12, military personnel, law enforcement and emergency responders are free! Stop by your local motorcycle dealer for a 2 for 1 admission voucher.

Directions: PPIR is located on the West side of I-25, between Colorado Springs and Pueblo at Exit 122. The exit is International Raceway Drive.
Information: Call (719) 382-7223
Information: www.PPIR.com (http://www.PPIR.com)

The MRA is dedicated to promoting safe and competitive motorcycle roadracing events for enthusiasts in Colorado and the surrounding area. For more information go to www.mra-racing.org (http://www.mra-racing.org)

For a daily schedule of races go to http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=14375

tecknojoe
Thu May 10th, 2012, 12:04 PM
I'll probly be working turn 1 saturday. See you there

thankgod
Thu May 10th, 2012, 07:37 PM
If my suit comes in on Saturday... I'm so there. Might even camp out and watch the excitment on Sunday too! :doublefinger:

Trainwreck
Sun May 13th, 2012, 11:43 PM
It was great seeing you at the track Richard. Find me if you come down to PPIR.

Bueller
Mon May 14th, 2012, 06:04 PM
A reminder to everyone who rides out to the races, for $5 you can take your bike out on the track for some parade laps at lunch, you will get to do 3-4 laps behind a pace vehicle (it is not at a total granny pace), and see what the track is actually like. I will be bringing my wife's Ninja 250 so she can do it. They will run this both days if there is interest in it. You need a helmet and closed toe shoes.
LMK or post up if anyone is interested or just go to the race day office (under the observation deck) and let them know.

Stank Juic3
Mon May 14th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Let's see if I can get podium next time in SS.

sprtbkbabe
Tue May 15th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Let's see if I can get podium next time in SS.

You can do eet! :up:

CaneZach
Tue May 15th, 2012, 10:37 AM
I'll see you all on Saturday!

Slo
Tue May 15th, 2012, 10:40 AM
If my suit comes in on Saturday... I'm so there. Might even camp out and watch the excitment on Sunday too! :doublefinger:

If suit doesn't come in, I am fairly certain you can fit into my leathers. Just don't mind people laughing at the "SLO" on the back of it.

CBR-Cowboy
Tue May 15th, 2012, 02:33 PM
for the people who plan on racing, can we add their number and name to the bottom of the top post so we know who we are watching for when we get there? maybe include the race they plan on being on and the day it is? and the people working the turns too...

for example,

#510 SLO(Jay) - novice - Saturday(est time or morning/evening)

Slo
Tue May 15th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Garage #11 with Randall, Siobhan, Davy, and Jamie, MRA #510 race is around 2:30pm Saturday. Come by and get some drinks and shade.

CBR-Cowboy
Tue May 15th, 2012, 02:47 PM
and who is riding down to watch? i wouldn't mind going sat getting there around 11:30, i live at Lincoln&25

FZjake719
Tue May 15th, 2012, 04:40 PM
I think I'll make it down this weekend for a bit. What's it cost at the door?

UglyDogRacing
Tue May 15th, 2012, 04:50 PM
I think I'll make it down this weekend for a bit. What's it cost at the door?

Weekend Admission: Adults $10 for the entire weekend of racing. Kids under 12, military personnel, law enforcement and emergency responders are free! Stop by your local motorcycle dealer for a 2 for 1 admission voucher.

FZjake719
Tue May 15th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Yea, saw that. The way I read it I thought that meant that's what the voucher for the entire weekend cost, but I follow now. Thanks.

UglyDogRacing
Tue May 15th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Yea, saw that. The way I read it I thought that meant that's what the voucher for the entire weekend cost, but I follow now. Thanks.

stop by a shop and pick up a 2 for 1 and it will be $5 at the gate

FZjake719
Tue May 15th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Right on man, willdo!

UglyDogRacing
Wed May 16th, 2012, 10:31 AM
http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=48315

Bueller
Sat May 19th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Congrats to Slo in Colorado for his first podium in NGTO a hard earned 3rd place. Way to go bro!

AOK303
Sat May 19th, 2012, 08:07 PM
PIC or it didnt happen

Jm congrats man already getting close to the checkered flag

tecknojoe
Sat May 19th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Congrats to Slo in Colorado for his first podium in NGTO a hard earned 3rd place. Way to go bro!

Did he snag third? I thought he was runnin 4th when the red came out?

He looked damn good! Need to start calling you "Fas"

big53lee
Sat May 19th, 2012, 08:57 PM

Yeayea boi! Congrats my friend!

Bueller
Sat May 19th, 2012, 09:18 PM

I'll let him explain the circumstances but it wasn't an easy task.

asp_125
Sat May 19th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Congrats Slo!

CBR-Cowboy
Sat May 19th, 2012, 11:52 PM
http://s1172.photobucket.com/albums/r576/bataouaz/?action=view&current=IMG00362-20120519-1307.jpg
PIC or it didnt happen

Jm congrats man already getting close to the checkered flag

Slo's fastest lap

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3551516101237&set=a.3247021929073.2132630.1072669523&type=3&theaterhttp://s1172.photobucket.com/albums/r576/bataouaz/?action=view&current=IMG00362-20120519-1307.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3551516101237&set=a.3247021929073.2132630.1072669523&type=3&theater

CBR-Cowboy
Sun May 20th, 2012, 12:03 AM

He passed the "guy" the lap before the "final lap" when the red flag came out. and he held it for an entire lap.

sucks the wreck was right before the final turn and they don't have video there. was an awesome race and very exciting to see slo pass his nemesis. but the guy in the wreck was ok, so all is good

Slo
Sun May 20th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Thanks everyone, their systems had issues from the rain delay. Turns out it swapped the 1st and 2nd spots also, but a board official actually saw the finish and recognized the riders.

Protested the results since I had made a pass the lap before the final lap and made it stick before the end of the last lap/red flag. I also had sequence pictures from a friend showing date/time stamps from the last two laps among I don't know how many witnesses.

All in all, was great fun, BUELLER.....got another podium finish!!!! And is one of a handfull of people that talked me into the MRA. Pretty nervous out there at first with weather, being among some quick riders.....and never being there before, I did my one session for practice and saved my tires for the actual race.

Sucks having to protest things, but that system/process is in place for when things like this happen. The other guy has the rest of the season still and is pretty fast so no problem for him. As for me, I am just trying to maintain top 10 finishes to earn my white plate for next year, in the ABSOLUTE cheapest way possible haha.

Bueller
Sun May 20th, 2012, 07:31 AM
More great racing today! Drop by if your in the neighborhood :lol:

~Barn~
Sun May 20th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Does anybody know if the tire vendors who are there doing race-support, ever have any stock of civilian tires for sale/mounting?

I want to ride down today to watch, but also to see if I can get a new rear bun put on. If anybody knows the inside scoop, shoot me a text or something! Thanks.

Bueller
Sun May 20th, 2012, 10:30 AM
I went to ask Oscar but he is busy with ROR qualifying. My guess is probably not, if he even has tires with him you would need to bring him the wheels off the bike.

Slo
Sun May 20th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Good luck to all participants out there, especially CSC members haha. Stay safe.....im at home just veggin.

~Barn~
Sun May 20th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Thanks for asking for me, Dave!

madvlad
Sun May 20th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Stopped by today and watched some live R.O.R along with the 250cc class and man what fun that was!... Definitely fueled me to make the track this season!

Slo
Sun May 20th, 2012, 07:51 PM
http://s1172.photobucket.com/albums/r576/bataouaz/?action=view&current=IMG00362-20120519-1307.jpg

Slo's fastest lap

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3551516101237&set=a.3247021929073.2132630.1072669523&type=3&theaterhttp://s1172.photobucket.com/albums/r576/bataouaz/?action=view&current=IMG00362-20120519-1307.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3551516101237&set=a.3247021929073.2132630.1072669523&type=3&theater

Bunch of red X's?

Bueller
Sun May 20th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Great weekend of racing! Congrats to all that competed and heal up quick to those that fell. And thanks to those that came to watch and of course a special thank you to those that worked the races, you are awesome!

Slo
Sun May 20th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Congrats to Bueller and his (EDIT) "2" podiums.... Jose (not on this forum but a close friend) with 2 podiums on his first season in the MRA..... some great results coming about. Turning out to be an good competitive year in many different classes.

Graphite675
Mon May 21st, 2012, 07:42 AM
Congrats to all of you that made the podium this weekend. Lot's of close racing out there. And thanks to all the MRA crew and corner workers for putting on another great round.

I split right after my last race (NGTO) how did the rest of the afternoon go. Did they get all the races in?

JP

hcr25
Mon May 21st, 2012, 08:12 AM
Great job racing to all my fellow CSCers. It's great to see everyone out there.

Kitten
Mon May 21st, 2012, 08:16 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/79056942@N06/7241651308/

A great picture from the Production 250 Class with Lars, Peanut and I battling it out. If anyone has ever thought about racing, the Production 250 class is by far my favorite race out there. I have raced the bigger bikes and this puts the biggest smile on my face. It is also relative inexpensive to get started and maintain a great race season. If you have any questions about racing in this class, be sure to either pm me or post up here.

Kitten
Mon May 21st, 2012, 08:17 AM
I know this has been posted many times, but how do we import a picture?

CaneZach
Mon May 21st, 2012, 08:23 AM

Basic link. Either add [img]picturewebsite.jpg or click on the insert image button above.

asp_125
Mon May 21st, 2012, 08:23 AM

That feature no longer works IIRC. You have to host it on a public site like Flickr or Photobucket and link to it.

Congrats to all the racers. I will have photos from Saturday up during this week on SpeedShots.

FZjake719
Mon May 21st, 2012, 08:35 AM
How was the new track surface? any improvements on lap times for any of you?

Kitten
Mon May 21st, 2012, 08:42 AM
We raced at PPIR not Pueblo. Pueblo is the one that got resurfaced.

rybo
Mon May 21st, 2012, 09:00 AM
A great weekend of racing with the MRA at PPIR -

PPIR is a great track to be a spectator at because you can see the entire track from the top of the timing and scoring building. You can watch a whole race as it unfolds, identify where some riders are stronger than others and see how riders use their strengths to improve their race positions.

Saturday racing was fantastic with close battles in both Novice races along with the SuperSport classifications. While the race day was slightly shortened by a short weather delay, the overall day was a huge success and produced a ton of interesting racing. The Open Endurance race was especially entertaining as Mike Applegate and Doug Kahl battled for the entire race, driving lap times lower and lower as the race went on. This is the opposite of what you would typically expect from an endurance race, as tires start to wear out and riders start to get tired. These riders were able to dig deep and find a little extra and very little separated them after the duration of the race!

Sunday was even better, with solid weather throughout the day and warmer track and air temperatures driving lap times lower and lower through the day. Production 250 had multiple battles going on on throughout the race all through the field. Tony Baker and Jason "Hammer" Madama had an epic battle for the lead all through the race and other great battles like the one between Kitten and Peanut kept the racing exciting throughout the field.

David "Mobster" Mobley had a great day starting with a win in Amateur GTU that unfolded right from the start of the race. David has obviously been training in the off season and practicing in the pre-season as his riding in both of the Amateur races was fantastic. With fantastic starts and determination he held the lead from flag to flag in the GTU race and only got passed in the final stages of the GTO race. The fierce competition continued throughout the day including the Premier Class, Race of the Rockies where Doug Kahl, Mike Applegate and Dan Turner had a three way battle for the lead throughout the race.

Don't miss the next MRA race June 9th and 10th at High Plains Raceway in Byers Colorado. This marks the 3rd year for the MRA Annual 4-Hour Endurance race on Saturday June 9th.

Spectating with the MRA is easy - $10 at the gate gets you a pass for the entire weekend of racing. Even better, visit your favorite local motorcycle shop and get a 2 for 1 pass to get two spectators in for the $10 gate fee!

Hope to see you there!

Scott

Kitten
Mon May 21st, 2012, 09:15 AM
Rybo, You are spot on. It was a fantastic weekend of racing with lots of fun battles. Can't wait for the next one and hope to see a bunch of people out there. You really can't get much better entertainment and all for such a low cost.

As a side note, if you can't beat the superstreet class that the MRA puts on. You get great instruction, practice and a race at the end. It's a great stepping stone into racing and/or just a great way to improve your riding skills.

Sean
Mon May 21st, 2012, 09:22 AM
Didn't I see on fb that Joe (Joew4506 ...or something. I forget his screen name) won NOV-U? Which is freaking awesome, cause I think it's his first race season! :cheers:

Slo
Mon May 21st, 2012, 09:27 AM
I believe Dara is on his 1st race season as well. Just shows that the way the MRA sets things up, you don't have to race novice 4 years in a row as a novice to do well.

Was definitely an exciting weekend out there.... HPR will be fun times with the Endurance race bringing a few racers into Colorado from out of state.

Slo
Mon May 21st, 2012, 09:36 AM
I know it's repetitive but I gotta say thanks to the other CSC'ers that came out and offered me encouragement. Also for my sponsors, especially Jim @ TFOG for fitting me in between projects to help get my bike to pass Tech.

I was not feeling any confidence before the race, figured I would lose a bunch of spots starting from 6th, figured I would have to settle for a 12-15th position since I had never been there before and got 6 laps in for practice. Everyone was constantly pushing me forward....

During my practice had, Louden (MRA board member) be my tour guide for a couple laps which definitely helped out. During the pause in the race due to rain, I walked by Jeff Brown (new rider director) and mentioned I wished I had the money to get some practice laps on Friday with him since I was stuck in 6th and didn't see myself gaining any positions considering the competition.

He immediately drew out a short map of the track on the ground, went over a couple of things with me....things I already have heard and knew, but the way he explained it, finally sunk in my friggin head. I felt a bit more confident afterwards going into the race.

So yeah, racers are busy through the weekend, especially MRA board members, but they still try and take some time with others when needed, and I am greatfull for it.

Matrix
Mon May 21st, 2012, 09:58 AM
Didn't I see on fb that Joe (Joew4506 ...or something. I forget his screen name) won NOV-U? Which is freaking awesome, cause I think it's his first race season! :cheers:

I did indeed Sean, thanks for the kind words.

Lesson learned that I will share here; The white paint is slick and really F'ing slick when its wet. I lost the front due to touching it in the Nov O race. Race was red flagged so luckily I got to restart, albeit dead last in 32nd place. Still managed to finish 6th with six laps of racing which was a ton of fun.

I will echo Slo's comments as well; Their are some really good people in the MRA! Special thanks to Oscar at Sol Performance for all his help throughout the weekend. Any body you talk to is helpfull and encouraging which you don't see that much out in the real world.

hcr25
Mon May 21st, 2012, 10:20 AM
I don't know about everyone else that raced but I'm tired today!

Slo
Mon May 21st, 2012, 10:58 AM

Quote from Mike this weekend:

Slo: so how'd it go out there?
Mike: bleh, 3 trophys out of 4 races, damn Im getting old

LOL what a response.... For myself I am pretty friggin happy I got just one to put on my shelf. I was thinking the past few weeks would be nice in my life to win one friggin trophy from a race in my lifetime to show my 2 year old when he gets older.

Bueller
Mon May 21st, 2012, 12:16 PM

You ain't alone there. I went from just doing endurance to 5 sprints plus endurance and I am old and tired for sure.

rforsythe
Tue May 22nd, 2012, 03:20 PM

I was actually feeling damn awesome by Saturday night after racing at Pikes all day. It was the marathon I ran Sunday morning that still has me whipped. Definitely a physically challenging weekend... Looking forward to the solo 4 hour race on June 9th though, I'm pretty sure after this weekend that I can do anything. :lol:

Bueller
Sat May 26th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Results and times are posted