PDA

View Full Version : Best Track for Noobs and things to bring?

Sprint
Mon May 14th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Hello all,

I have been riding for about 7+ years and have never visited a track. I am thinking about doing so in the near future and would like some advice on what tracks are the MOST beginner friendly. I have tracked sports cars and some race-preped cars on PPIR and HPR, and I have been out to Pueblo and IMI a few times to watch. Any suggestions?

Also if I were to get out and do a track day, what should I try and bring with me. Mind you, I might be limited to riding my bike there and back. But if I were to magically get a trailer to tow the bike, what are some things people forget or wouldn't think of to bring?

Thanks everyone, and happy riding.

tecknojoe
Mon May 14th, 2012, 07:10 AM
I would very much recommend NOT riding to the track. if you crash you're fucked. A lot of times if you post up what day you're going you can find trailer space with someone. If I can ever get my damn trailer hitch situation resolved you're welcome to join me next time I go out.

If you've driven then you probly know how to hold a race line and be safe. So you'd probly be good anywhere. HPR is my favorite.

I keep a text document at home that lists every tool and piece of gear I usually bring. I'll post up when I'm home later

asp_125
Mon May 14th, 2012, 08:43 AM
HPR is the most fun, on two or four wheels. I've driven PPIR but not ridden it; the banking is different and the consequences of an oops is greater with all those walls. IMI is a good place to play for a few hours and doesn't require a big commitment on track specific gear.

+1 on a truck or trailer to get to the big tracks, if you wad up your shit you can still get home. I had a friend who rode his VFR out to HPR and broke rule #1 ; I had to retreive his bike the next day with a trailer. He did get a ride, but it was to the hospital in the back of a ambulance.

WolFeYeZ
Mon May 14th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Fellow track noob here. I've done 1 day at IMI and then 1 day at HPR. I would say what I did worked fairly well. IMI and HPR are very fun tracks and IMI gets you used to track riding and having people pass you and such. HPR seems to be the most motorcycle friendly larger track from what I can tell, with fairly nice pavement and not many walls around.

For trailering, you can get a uhaul trailer for motorcycles for $15 a day plus around $3 in tax and fees.

Stuff to bring:
Hydration - I went through a gallon of water and 3 poweraides
Lunch
Snacks
Toolkit and tire pressure gauge
Tools (Im in college so my car is where all my tools are stored already)
Tape for lights
Enough Gas
Cash
A change of clothes
Shade?
Whatever the track day requires for gear

TinkerinWstuff
Mon May 14th, 2012, 08:54 AM
+1 on a truck or trailer to get to the big tracks, if you wad up your shit you can still get home. I had a friend who rode his VFR out to HPR and broke rule #1 ; I had to retreive his bike the next day with a trailer. He did get a ride, but it was to the hospital in the back of a ambulance.

fortunately, he and the bike healed up ok

Sprint
Mon May 14th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Wow! I didn't know such a community existed for riders. It's a cool thing when people can call on strangers for help like this.

Right now I am trying to get a different bike for some track time. My bike now weights over 520 wet and if I initiate a lean a little far I can really feel the weight of the bike dictating the trajectory. Don't get me wrong, I am probably considered a competent rider. However, there are always those moments when sand is suddenly there or I make a mistake with the throttle.

I am looking to get into a supermoto just to avoid the weight issue and not be afraid to dump a bike. That Sprint looks good and probably costs way too much to put it back together.

Thanks for the info everyone. I hope I have the supermoto soon and will head out to IMI for my first track experience!

David

tecknojoe
Tue May 15th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Bike
-----
Seat
key
spare parts bin
mirror block off plates and screws
rear stand
front stand
clear windscreen

other
------
track day member card
drill + drill bits
electrical tape
painters tape
scissors
tie down straps
gas
oil
distilled water
tire pressure gauge
air compressor
gas funnel
oil funnel
bike ramp
alen wrench set
socket wrench set (turn style and non turn style)
zip ties
pliars
pliar cutters
mechanic gloves
hammer
flashlight
box cutter
rags
water
food
sunglasses
umbrella / tent
chair
sunscreen

gear
-----
back protector
leathers
gloves
boots
helmet
under armor
long pants + sweatshirt (for cold mornings)
change of clothes

salsashark
Tue May 15th, 2012, 07:37 AM
I am looking to get into a supermoto just to avoid the weight issue and not be afraid to dump a bike. That Sprint looks good and probably costs way too much to put it back together.

I had an 05 Sprint and I can confirm that plastics are NOT cheap for that bike. I dropped mine in my driveway and Triumph wanted almost $1K for a new right side and tail section. I chose to have them repaired and repainted... :lol:

Danimal
Sat May 19th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Kinda adding to the OP, just had a couple of questions. I have never raced on a track before. Before I head out to IMI (with my supermoto when it's finished) I have some questions for experienced riders.

1) Being that I have little to no knowledge of track etiquette, what should I do to prevent being a pain in the ass to other faster riders / prevent causing an accident? I have been riding for 10 + years and have taken advanced riding courses, but I have no doubt that I will be one of the slowest guys out there getting used to a new bike, new style of riding and on a track in an environment that I have never ridden.

2) When is the best time (day of the week or hours of the day) to get out there, learn the basics, and have fun without feeling like a special needs kid on a moped racing the Indy 500?

3) Are there any other tracks close to Longmont that I should look into that would be better for learning supermoto?

And that list above is great, there are about 20 things on there that I would never thought of until I really needed it.

Zach929rr
Sat May 19th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Kinda adding to the OP, just had a couple of questions. I have never raced on a track before. Before I head out to IMI (with my supermoto when it's finished) I have some questions for experienced riders.

1) Being that I have little to no knowledge of track etiquette, what should I do to prevent being a pain in the ass to other faster riders / prevent causing an accident? I have been riding for 10 + years and have taken advanced riding courses, but I have no doubt that I will be one of the slowest guys out there getting used to a new bike, new style of riding and on a track in an environment that I have never ridden.

2) When is the best time (day of the week or hours of the day) to get out there, learn the basics, and have fun without feeling like a special needs kid on a moped racing the Indy 500?

3) Are there any other tracks close to Longmont that I should look into that would be better for learning supermoto?

And that list above is great, there are about 20 things on there that I would never thought of until I really needed it.

IMI is great for sumos.

1) if there are other sumo guys there, ask them to show you the general layout and lines at a slow pace to get a feel. After that, they only thing you have to do on the track as a new rider is be consistent and predictable. Don't be concerned with who or what is behind you. It is their responsibility to pass you safely. Don't ever adjust your line for people behind you. Raise your hand to signal track exit a few turns before the exit (pretty easy to just run wide at the IMI exit and be out of everyone's way).

2) best time for IMI is midweek morning. Pay attentions to the cart racing schedule on the website. Keep in mind you need to rotate the track with any cart renters. Those waits can suck end of week or weekends.

3) I think IMI is one of the best. I don't know of another pavement tracks for sumo near there. The sumo race series runs majority at IMI.

Danimal
Sat May 19th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Sounds good, I just worry about swinging wide on an exit while traveling at a slower speed and crossing into someone. I assume that this is something that most people will be watching out for but I don't want to be "that guy Joe noob" screwing up everyone elses practice. By raise your hand to exit you mean left hand above head? I'm sure I'll see it being done while I am there but I have never seen it before.

IMI is great for sumos.

1) if there are other sumo guys there, ask them to show you the general layout and lines at a slow pace to get a feel. After that, they only thing you have to do on the track as a new rider is be consistent and predictable. Don't be concerned with who or what is behind you. It is their responsibility to pass you safely. Don't ever adjust your line for people behind you. Raise your hand to signal track exit a few turns before the exit (pretty easy to just run wide at the IMI exit and be out of everyone's way).

2) best time for IMI is midweek morning. Pay attentions to the cart racing schedule on the website. Keep in mind you need to rotate the track with any cart renters. Those waits can suck end of week or weekends.

3) I think IMI is one of the best. I don't know of another pavement tracks for sumo near there. The sumo race series runs majority at IMI.

VFR
Sat May 19th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Hey Sprint,

Nice to see a fellow triumph 1050 rider, thought I was the only one in Colorado for awhile...lol

Zach929rr
Sat May 19th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Sounds good, I just worry about swinging wide on an exit while traveling at a slower speed and crossing into someone. I assume that this is something that most people will be watching out for but I don't want to be "that guy Joe noob" screwing up everyone elses practice. By raise your hand to exit you mean left hand above head? I'm sure I'll see it being done while I am there but I have never seen it before.

Yes, left hand. This makes it clear you intend to exit the track and prevents the scenario you describe above

Penadam
Sat May 19th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Yes, left hand. This makes it clear you intend to exit the track and prevents the scenario you describe above

Think he's talking about the exit of a turn, not the track.

tecknojoe
Sat May 19th, 2012, 11:04 PM

You raise your hand or extend a foot out to indicate:

A) I'm pitting in (as you're coming up to the pit entrance)
B) For some reason, I am off pace, so don't close on me. Use this if something happens to your bike, like when say your chain falls off and you're coasting. For any reason, if you are no longer going the normal track pace that you've been riding, you're indicating to other riders that you're going a slow speed so they can go around you

Don't worry about blowing your lines. Good riders will go around you, and they will be aware immediately that you're a novice. You focus on your lines and what you're doing, nothing else. People blow apexes all day, it's part of being on the track