PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on 1st gen Toyota Tundra?

Wrider
Mon May 14th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Well now that all of my debt (except student loans) is paid off http://forums.coloradoracing.net/public/style_emoticons/default/coolthumbsup.gif , I'm looking to pick up another 4 wheeled vehicle. It's going to be another truck, because, well they're just so damned useful!

Looking around, I definitely want a 4 door cab this time. Hauling around the dog, friends, and stuff honestly got pretty constricted in the club cab Dakota. If I got an access cab or similar I could pull it off I'm sure, but the lack of a B pillar is kinda concerning considering how my last truck was totaled http://forums.coloradoracing.net/public/style_emoticons/default/veryscared.gif . But I also want a bed long enough to put a bike in without having to put the rear tire on the tailgate. If it closes, that's gravy, if not, as long as it's before the hinge. Unfortunately, no mid-sized truck does that, so full-sized, here I come.

I'd love to pick up a diesel, but honestly any diesel in my price range (17K or less) is going to be older or very high mileage (200K+). While the mileage on a diesel doesn't scare me, the mileage on the rest of the drivetrain does, esp when it's a daily.

It seems the most reliable pickup that suits my needs in my price range would be the 1st gen Toyota Tundra.
- I've done a bit of research on them already, and unfortunately they didn't make the V8 version in manual, so that's going to be a wash, but if I get the V8 auto in an 03+, the tranny seems fairly reliable. Apparently the 99-02s liked the blow up the OD gear.
- The 4.7L that comes in them seems to be pretty reliable, and is more powerful than the Dodge 4.7L I had in the Dakota, not to mention there's an aftermarket that's actually effective for it.
- Aftermarket for it is fairly decent, and lifts don't cost a grand.

Soooo, does anyone have any experience with the 03-06 Tundra? Bonus points if you do in a 4WD, Double Cab, V8 configuration. Trim matter doesn't matter to me, I'm one of the odd ones that prefers a cloth seat to leather anyway, so the SR5 would do fine. Wouldn't go with a V6, mainly because I have the bike for fuel efficiency (Mick can tell you how speedy it is... http://forums.coloradoracing.net/public/style_emoticons/default/toothygrin.gif ), and well a V6 in a full-sized truck just isn't right, not to mention I'd like to have the ability to tow a decent amount into the mountains if the need arises (zombie apocalypse anyone?).

madvlad
Mon May 14th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Only issue I know of with those is the exhaust manifolds tend to go quickly and they're a pain to change out. Other than that they're solid trucks

asp_125
Mon May 14th, 2012, 08:57 PM
It's a Toyota, bulletproof. Our 03 access cab is still going strong. But we recently got another truck and might be selling our Tundra.

Wrider
Mon May 14th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Only issue I know of with those is the exhaust manifolds tend to go quickly and they're a pain to change out. Other than that they're solid trucks

If that goes, I'm definitely going aftermarket exhaust lol.

It's a Toyota, bulletproof. Our 03 access cab is still going strong. But we recently got another truck and might be selling our Tundra.

Sent you a PM. :)

drago52
Mon May 14th, 2012, 10:50 PM
I have a 2000 access cab toyota tundra. It's a beast. 170k miles. I drove to Silver City, NM and back last month (900 miles round trip). I never have a problem.

Zanatos
Tue May 15th, 2012, 03:15 PM
I bought a new 4Runner Sport V8 back in 2004, and it's been the best vehicle I have ever owned. No problems at all. However, I am religious about regular maintenance.

Wrider
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 05:04 PM
Well I'm officially looking for one.
Requirements:
05/06
4x4
V8
Double Cab
Less than 120K, highly preferred 85K or less.

Niceties I'd like to get ahold of:
Power sliding rear window
Moonroof
Red, Blue, or Green (Seems 90% are black/white/silver)
Cloth seats (dog is going to be riding with me often, and dogs + leather = not good)
Already has a bedliner and/or tonneau cover (retractable preferred)

Looking around private party it seems I can find them for around 15-17K. Dealers anywhere from 17-20K.
Obviously price-wise I'd prefer to go private party, but if I can work with a dealer for the proper price, I'm willing to go through them.

FWIW yes I know I can get by with a 2WD in CO, but I like to go offroad and play around in snow too much for my own good in a 2WD.
And no I won't do an access cab because it doesn't have a B pillar between the front and rear seats. If I manage to roll this one too, I want the B pillar there for protection (yes I'm paranoid after my last experience lol).

If you have any leads, know anyone selling one, or work for a dealer and might be able to get me a deal, I'd appreciate any and all help!

Sparker
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 05:27 PM
If you get one around or over the 90k mile mark and the 90k service has not been done then get it done or make the dealer do it. The 4.7L are interferance motors so if the timing chain breaks it can cause big valve damage.

in 03 they put on the larger calipers so the rotor warping issue is not a problem anymore.

Ive heard many times that people have had paint issues with the green for some reason. Mine is silver and have had no issues but just something i heard.

sag
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 07:27 PM
i gots an 01 with 144k on it. exhaust manifold is leaking and obnoxious. i havent put too many miles on it but its been a good truck, perfect size to still be able to drive around town. i know the double cab bed is slightly shorter so you may end up with the tire in the hinge. mine just breaks the plane at the furthest point back, i can close the gate like 7/8 of the way before hitting the tire

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/551166_10100525010222293_19226731_49296490_1405173 66_n.jpg

Wrider
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 09:52 PM
Yeah definitely gonna do the 90K service. Looked it up and it actually looks about as difficult as the GL1500 timing belts I did a few months back. Not a problem.

Oh and I measured with the double cab bed, my bike (and most sportbikes) will end up just inside with no problem. My Dakota's bed was about the same as the extended cab's bed, so I ended up just denting it in a little so I could close it. A buddy of mine had a good idea to go get a spare tailgate from a junkyard, cut it out where the tire would go, and it would not only hold the tire there, but I could close the tailgate.

Yodannyc
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 09:54 PM
Well if you already know Dakota's are bullet proof and saved you in a roll over you should buy my quad cab lifted Dakota. ;)

Wrider
Thu May 24th, 2012, 03:50 AM
Well if you already know Dakota's are bullet proof and saved you in a roll over you should buy my quad cab lifted Dakota. ;)

I abhor the front suspensions of them. lol
Not to mention even the 74" bed of the Tundra is barely (by like 2 inches) long enough to put sportbikes in straight without having the rear tire rest on the tailgate. (My Z has a front-of-the-front-tire to rear contact patch measurement of 72", and yes you can angle it, but occasionally I carry 2 bikes and that doesn't work.)
With the 64" bed of the Dakota Quad Cab it's not happening unless you have a mini bike.