PDA

View Full Version : Denver Radar Van tickets

AOK303
Tue May 15th, 2012, 11:35 PM
I saw two different News clips last year still posted but nothing to say if it has changed

fox 31 says its colorado law 90 days must personally server you or void
9 News tip toed around it

So is it illegal i got flashed by the CC mall on my bike which i dont even know if they can get my plate or not but....

Pay or Not to Pay if i even get the ticket

and i should point out yes i did go through the old threads and it never actually had a post showing if and what is currently the truth on the You have to be personally served for it to be legal

Clovis
Wed May 16th, 2012, 01:05 AM
Don't pay until they serve you.

Sully
Wed May 16th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Here is an interesting article about it. http://www.glendalecherrycreek.com/photo-radar-under-fire/

I don't think they mail the motorcycle ones out since they seem to only photograph the front plate, which we don't have, plus if you are wearing a helmet, they can't distinguish who is actually on the bike. I wish I could find the original article from Sept. 2011

jmack
Wed May 16th, 2012, 06:37 AM
They do have to serve you the ticket for it to be enforced. But if they do serve you, it's a much more significant fine. They give you a "discount" for paying it on your own. Probably not worth the risk, IMO.

They almost certainly won't be able to issue a ticket for you on your bike. They have to be able to identify your face in order to issue the ticket. Your face is probably largely covered by your helmet, and there's usually glare from the flash. I run a mirrored shield on the helmet, and here in Boulder, I try to blatantly speed past them at least 15 over and I've never been issued a ticket, but I've seen them flash me.

Some of the cameras do take both front and back photos, so not having a front plate doesn't always do the trick. Speaking from experience in the cage...

Samko
Wed May 16th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Don't pay. Until they serve you.
Few lawyers in Phx said this on tv. Even one of the politicians said the same thing. Phx freeways used to have speeding cameras every few miles. After people stopped paying they removed all of them.

TFOGGuys
Wed May 16th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Never pay one of these, unless you are personally served.

Slo
Wed May 16th, 2012, 09:27 AM
You weren't on the bike at CC, I borrowed it, and one of the guys at my place took it out. I don't remember who took it though, bike was being passed around like a gir.....nevermind.

Nooch
Wed May 16th, 2012, 10:14 AM
I heard on the radio several weeks ago where they were talking about the "automated traffic enforcement" scenarios like this. I think they said that in 2011, Denver generated over $3.5 million in revenue just on red light cameras alone. So I highly doubt that you'll get served if there are that many uninformed people out there who are willing to just feed the system.

Slo
Wed May 16th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Last year, had one friend get served while another did not.

CBR-Cowboy
Wed May 16th, 2012, 02:10 PM
If you don't get a ticket in the mail, then i wouldn't worry about going out of your way to pay it.

They have to prove that it was you on the bike, and they have to prove that you got the ticket for you to be charged for not paying it, at which point they would just deliver it in person for proof.

only reason to pay the ticket you get in the mail is to save a little money. But like someone else said, they make a lot of money off the people who do pay, it would be hard for them to justify paying someone to deliver it.

Then their is the whole tech thing that cops have to issue the ticket and most of those vans are owned by a third party.

Sully
Wed May 16th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Last year, had one friend get served while another did not.

Just hide out, don't answer the door for anyone and change your name for 90 days :lol: