PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever fly with guns?

#1Townie
Sun May 20th, 2012, 09:42 AM
I really thought it would be more complex.

~Barn~
Sun May 20th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Not complex at all. Separate said gun from ammo. Put said gun it in a lockable hardcase. Check it at the airport with your airline, and let them do their thing.

If you're flying JetBlue, they may actually let you take it aboard the plane. :think:

vort3xr6
Sun May 20th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Very easy process. Couple photography buddies of mine actually pack guns with their photo gear for safety. Your bag is not allowed to be opened or search after the initial check in.

3D
Sun May 20th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I do it all the time.. Pretty simple. It is easier to fly with a gun than it is to board a train or bus with one. Had to get a train person (not sure what to call them) to look it up and make sure it was legal and a bus person just wouldn't allow it at all and said I was lying about flying with it in my checked baggage.

TinkerinWstuff
Minor clarification

Unload gun and package ammo in manufacturer packaging or similar. Other options are available but become subjective. Ammo can be locked in the same container.

In my experience flying with guns, it's best to have the rules printed out and with you. Occasionally you run into a counter agent that isn't familiar with their own rules.

#1Townie
Yeah is kind of awsome. And I guess they hand deliver it to me when I land.

TinkerinWstuff
Sun May 20th, 2012, 10:14 AM
No hand deliver. Don't know where you heard that. Comes out on the luggage carousels like every other. Make sure someone doesn't mistake your bag for theirs

#1Townie
Sun May 20th, 2012, 10:15 AM
I walked in the last asked if it was a firearm. smooth sailing from there. Now if they would quit delaying my flight.

#1Townie
Sun May 20th, 2012, 10:17 AM
No hand deliver. Don't know where you heard that. Comes out on the luggage carousels like every other. Make sure someone doesn't mistake your bag for theirs
Thats what the airlines people said. Also have to show id to claim the case.

TinkerinWstuff
Sun May 20th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Unless something changed in the last couple months.

Bags aren't identified on the outside to indicate which has a firearm in it. Safety and theft reasons

TinkerinWstuff
Sun May 20th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Well, hold the phone. Are we talking long guns or handguns?

#1Townie
Sun May 20th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Long guns.

#1Townie
Sun May 20th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Well I also have my pistol in the case. But yeah. My ar and my 308.

TinkerinWstuff
Sun May 20th, 2012, 10:38 AM
My bad. I assumed hand guns in checked baggage.

Carry on :)

TinkerinWstuff
Sun May 20th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Have not traveled with long guns but I know they are handled through the "oversize" luggage handling like skis etc, so I stand corrected. My statements were based on handguns in locked cases packaged in regular checked bags.

#1Townie
Sun May 20th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Yeah im doing some desert fun while im home. A pistol is like a bb gun where I'm going. Lol

Zanatos
Sun May 20th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Last time I flew with a weapon was when I was in the Air Force, returning from a deployment in Balad, Iraq. The hard case and Beretta 9mm pistol went missing in Germany - and I ended up having to do a ton of paperwork to explain what happened. My C-bag also got ransacked, and I had to file claims for a digital camera, laptop computer, electric razor, and SureFire flashlight.

TinkerinWstuff
Sun May 20th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Contracted commercial flight?

Kim-n-Dean
Sun May 20th, 2012, 04:57 PM
...Your bag is not allowed to be opened or search after the initial check in.Not true. I've arrived at my hotel, several times, to open my suit case and find a note inside stating that my luggage was searched after check-in. They will cut your lock to do such searchers, too!! Been there, done that...

Wrider
Sun May 20th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Not true. I've arrived at my hotel, several times, to open my suit case and find a note inside stating that my luggage was searched after check-in. They will cut your lock to do such searchers, too!! Been there, done that...

I think he means luggage with a declared firearm in it.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon May 21st, 2012, 01:35 PM
I think he means luggage with a declared firearm in it.How do they know if a firearm is in it without marking the outside of the bag?

My CCW instructor said to travel with a gun every chance you get. According to him, you go straight through security without having to wait and you pick up your luggage at a special counter without having to wait at the carousel.

Traveling with Kim's Mom works the same, too!! Old chick in a wheel chair gets you to the front of the security line with a golf cart to ferry you to the gate.:p

TinkerinWstuff
Mon May 21st, 2012, 01:41 PM
How do they know if a firearm is in it without marking the outside of the bag?

My CCW instructor said to travel with a gun every chance you get. According to him, you go straight through security without having to wait and you pick up your luggage at a special counter without having to wait at the carousel.

Traveling with Kim's Mom works the same, too!! Old chick in a wheel chair gets you to the front of the security line with a golf cart to ferry you to the gate.:p

confusing handguns and long guns

once you are seperated from your firearm containing baggage or guncase, you get to go through security hell just like everyone else.

And since your baggage doesn't have any identifiers showing it as containing a handgun, it comes down the carousel with the rest. Hard gun cases checked separately come through the special counter

TFOGGuys
Mon May 21st, 2012, 04:13 PM
I've had to quote this so many times I have it bookmarked...

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

Individual airlines may impose additional restrictions or policies, but most adhere to the basic TSA regs...

#1Townie
Mon May 21st, 2012, 06:25 PM
Yeah I was told I was going to have to sign and show id for my case. This did not happen.